Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,415
4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Fall and winter are my favorite for beer drinking and I love Sam Adams seasonal brews. I already have stocked up on the 12 oz Octoberfest bottles. I was at my local Chili's and they had the Samuel Adams Octoberfest on-tap. Let me say this beer on-tap is fantastic.

Color: Was a nice copper color with a nice one inch head.

Smell: The smell was of malt and caramel scents are picked up.

Taste: Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet with just a tad of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Was full of body and with a clean taste.

Drinkability: I had two of these that night and could have went for more. A very good beer to drink.

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The body is a clear amber with a half finger white head. Aromas consist of spicy noble hops and bready caramel malts, but was kind of faint. Flavors consist of the same. The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, and light crisp finish.

4.61/5  rDev +26%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No "Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line, It's good. The best, readily available, Oktoberfest beer you will find. Perfect fall beer with a smooth finish. You will love it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Eye Candy: Pours a dark garnett red brown color with a thick off-white head. Plenty of lacing,mild carbonation. I believe that SA Oktoberfest is perfect in appearance. Very inviting.

The Nose Knows: The aroma is rich and malty, with distinctive bread notes. Deep and rich roasted malts.

Tongueland: Thick m/f, rich taste, dominated by roasted malts and hints of caramel, with some mild hops thrown in at the finish. An excellent example of the style.

Bender Factor: The only bad thing about SA Oktoberfest is it's availability. I always look forward to three fall things: College Football, pumpkin pie, and SA Oktoberfest.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

Best By February 2009; Sampled October 2008
Pours with a frothy, two finger thick, lightly amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer is quite clear and shows a full amber color as it sits on my desk. The aroma has some light spicy hop character to it up front, but this is quickly drowned out by a full malt character. Aromas of caramel, toasty grain and whole grain crackers. Actually there is a fair amount of hop character here that lightly spices the more dominant malt aromatics.

Spicy hop notes cut through the slightly more dominant malt character of lightly nutty, slightly toasty grain notes and a nice, almost rich, but not to sweet, caramelized malt note. As the beer warms up it becomes more malty and rich, but still retains its spicy hop character. Light toffee notes seem to subtly intrude into the mix of well integrated flavors that define this beer. I really am enjoying the body of this brew as well, it is quite quaffable, but has just enough heft to cling a bit to the palate and lightly envelope the mouth.

This is a nice Oktoberfest, I really like that it is still fresh and has a nice spicy hop character. I really also like how the toasted malt character accentuates a soft nutty note. Overall this is a really well constructed beer, incredibly well balanced between hop and malt. I would seriously have a hard time asking for more from an Oktoberfest (well an non-Rauch one anyway). This would be quite easy to quaff liters of this beer at a time.

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

A: Beautiful copper orange with an orange tinted, creamy, white head

S: Nice malty aroma with toast and biscuit. there is a subtle noble hop aroma which doesn't fit the style; it does, however, work very well with this beer

T: There is a malty sweetness with notes of bread crust, and toasty biscuit. There is a caramel sweetness which again doesn't fit the style, and again I could care less because it works

M: This beer is low in carbonation which helps give it an incredibly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. This beer is chewier than the color suggests it will beer. The beer is sweet throughout with the balance towards the malt but the finish is still pleasantly dry. This has one of the best mouth-feels I have experienced

D: This is a different kind of Oktoberfest. If you're a style Nazi you may not like it, but it really is a tasty beer. One of my all-time favorites and definitely my favorite from Sam Adams

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

I love this beer it's great around the fall season it's got a good taste and a really nice flavor with food like deserts such as nuts and pies one of favorite beers that I look forward to every year I am not a huge Sam Adams drinker but this on did by far the best in my opinion it's really full flavored so I will be stocking up when this beer comes back you can count on that hahaha

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger white head, clear orange body.

Smell : Same as below, but less apparent.

Taste : Toasty malts, caramel, slight earthy and citrus hops.

Feel :Medium body, medium carbonation, slight upfront sweetness. Crisp finish.

4.56/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This one is one of my favorites from Samuel Adams. I got it in the 'Harvest Collection', and I fell in love with it. It was also my first craft beer. I love how it's not hoppy at all.

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This heavily malted and hoppy elixir pours a golden brown, with an incredible head. The abv content is just right - and in this case, as close to perfection as one would desire. This is definitely a session beer, however, I suspect that you may not repeat the session as once would suffice. Octoberfest beers bring out the best in production, and this one is nothing short of spectacular. With 5 roasted malts in this particular brew, you enjoy every single one of the 165 calories in this bottled beer. A worthy find.

4.54/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Loved this beer, very straightforward with the malts, there are some hops noticeable, but very minimal. Pours with a very coppery, orange color almost like a pumpkin ale. Refreshingly smooth, I advise it for almost every occasion.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer to drink in the fall, the smell that it gives off after you pour it into a glass is pretty unique. Also the taste is great, there is really not a lot of beers that come close to the great taste of a Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have only sampled 5 ot 6 Octoberfest style beers, but this was my favorite. I wish they brewed this all year. This was my favorite Samuel Adams beer.

It pours an absolutely beautiful red/amber color with a thick cream color head.

Smells sweet of caramel and malts. No pronounced hops or wheat here.

Flavor follows scent. Somewhat sweet, caramels, malts, very mild hops way back in the background. Not thick, but not thin.

Very easy to drink as a starter for the night or in multiples.

I wish they brewed this one year 'round!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the beer that made me love Samuel Adams beer, caramel and toffee malt dominate the body, with a little hop aroma. Dark orange color, and very sweet flavor. Probably not the best Octoberfest, however, generally a very good fall beer, and probably Sam Adams' best seasonal beer.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

This beer is a very quality beer from the first sip. It poured an amber color with a decent 2-finger head. The taste was not as hoppy as some other oktoberfests, but still an overall sweet taste to it. This beer is one of the better oktoberfests that I have drank. This is definatly a fine beer and worth drinking over and over agian.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Appearance- Deep orange amber with a medium white head. Only slightly carbonated.

Smell- Soft sweet aromas with nutmeg spice notes.

Taste- Very mellow earthy and caramel notes, Brilliantly smooth taste not at all bitter. Simple a malty masterwork. Only the tiniest citrusy note at the end show a touch of hops.

Mouthfeel- Soooo smooth, nicely full bodied but not to heavy. Wonderful

Drinkability- It's very easy to drink a 12 pack.

Why is this only a seasonal? I look forward to this beer every year. Love it. Buy some today. Sam Adam's best offering and thats saying something.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

I have previously reviewed the bottled version, but just recently tried on draft. I normally don't repeat reviews unless there is a marked difference. I have really enjoyed the bottled over several years, but wow is it superior on tap. The same flavor profile of sweet malted honey is there, just in spades. This stuff honestly rocks. I preferred Paulaner marzen to the bottled Sam Octoberfest, but I just tried them back to back on tap and it's no contest. The SA has better color, aromas, and tons more character and flavor. I'm pretty sure my brother would be open to transfusions of this stuff as he is a full fledged addict. Cheers to Jim Koch for a great batch this Fall.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

One of my friends gave me a bottle to try, while we were lounging around in the pool. The beer had a great Octoberfest taste to it and it was an enjoyable beer to drink. I think I will buy it in the future.

The beer was dark brown in color, and was not over carbonated. It smelled and tasted really good. I recommend this beer.

A good octoberfest.
I had it on tap the glass was a little soapy so their was almost no head.
Good spice aroma, nice body good red brown color.
Excellent flavor with a hint of nutmeg.

Not a fan of Sam Adams but I recommend this one!

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Probably my favorite beer unfortunately it's only available in the fall

Have only had this beer out of the bottle but would love to try it on tap which I am going to do this coming fall.

This beer is fall in a glass everything you can ask for in a seasonal beer, Well-bodied and a full flavor that leaves you wanting another sip/taste/bottle.

My favorite Sam Adams beer out of the ones I have tried

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Went from the bottle into a pub glass. I liked this beer. It was everything an autumn beer should be. I don't think I would consider Sam Adams a craft beer anymore, but I like what they offer.

A: I had this beer a few days ago, but from what I can remember it had a good amber/brown/red color. Head wasn't anything to brag about.

S: Delightful in the nose. Could have smelled this one all day.

T: A great beer with that gave more flavor than alcohol. Definitely a plus for me.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation that makes you give pause to what you are drinking without being overbearing.

D: Easy to drink and quite enjoyable. Got done with one bottle and would easily want a second.

4.51/5  rDev +23.2%

Nice dark orange color with a good head that dissapears into a very very ring.

Smells great. Sweet, very small amount of hops and slightly alcoholic. The alcohol smell is very good, almost like a fine liquor as it warms. To tell you the truth this might be the best smelling alcohol esters I have ever smelled.

Taste is phenominal. Sweet, bready, caramel goodness with just a touch of hops. Oh and of course the alcohol from the smell loses none of its deliciousness.

4.5/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear copper color (how's that for alliteration?), about an inch of white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Malty/bready aroma with a hint of hops. Tastes like malt, toffee, caramel, a little bit roasty with a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. A little chewy, medium bodied, and goes down smooth as silk. This has been one of my favorite Octoberfest beers for over 2 decades, and I think it surpasses or at least compares favorably to any of the German marzens I've tried. None of them has had a stronger malt backbone. It manages to be satisfying yet highly drinkable, the way I picture this style being before it was lightened up. An underrated classic.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A-Clear amber color with thick white head. Looks like autumn in a bottle.
S-Tons of malted barley-toasted and caramel. Spicy noble hops in there too. I like.
T-Rich malted barley dominates-sweet toasted toffee/caramel. A kiss of hops to break up the malt. Smooth finish.
M-Good body, moderate carbonation gives a little zing.
D-Really high. Have drank the hell out of this beer.
O-One of my favorite Marzens-great malt flavor, well done brew. Probably my favorite beer from SA.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)