Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,141 | Ratings: 7,412
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Ordered at TGI Friday's with lunch, served in a 22oz Weizen-style glass. Appearance is a bright, coppery amber color, full foamy finger of light tan head that slowly fell to a light ring of lacing. Aroma is rich with a huge maltiness, sweet caramel and toffee notes dominating, light hoppy undertones round out the nose. Taste is very malty, much more than from the bottle, light grassy hop bitterness halfway balances between the superb malt character this beer offers. Mouthfeel is smoother and seemingly less carbonated than that of the bottle, a welcome change as the balance of the light to medium body pairs well with the lower levels of carbonation. Drinkability is great, low abv and an overall very enjoyable beer. Highly recommend.

Served in a 12 oz. bottle poured into a glass.

A-Poured a nice red color with a very thin white head. Had a nice head retention and good lacing.

S-Had a typical beer smell to it. No one dominant spice or malt. Admittedly my first Octoberfest so I did not know if this was out of the ordinary.

T-Had a good taste to it with just a hint of toffee flavoring. Couldn't really pick it out though. Never got that nasty taste but nothing special to write about. A little on the bitter side.

M-Very light mouthfeel, no warming sensation or anything to note. Amazingly felt like a light beer.

D-Had a few brats with this and it makes a great pairing. The bitterness completely complemented the juices from the brat. A good beer, but not the typical quality brew I would expect from Sam Adams.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Color is nice, deep amber. Aroma is ok, hinting at a bit of a "yuck" factor. Taste is average. What you would expect in a better-than-not-bad beer. Not terribly remarkable in any regard. Mouthfeel is solid, richly filling. Lingers well but long aftertaste is off. Drinkability is decent.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

a - poured a one finger thick toffee colored head into a pint glass. the head dissipates too quickly for my taste. color is a very clear amber.
s - sweet and malty with a hint of fermented grapes. sounds odd but that's what i detected.
t - the beer is overly sweet to me, not a lot of hops to me.
m - the carbonation was high and doesn't linger over the tongue.
d - more light and refreshing than others of this style. it's a nice transition beer from summer to fall overall.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Another great style mastered by the Boston Beer Company. Pour was nice orange and amber hue. Very copper to strong orange when back lit. Nice white head that dimished rather quickly. Minor lacing of the pint glass. Smelled sweet like molasas and caramel cream candy. Lots of malt character present in this brew. Starts out with the sweet malt flavor that rolls smoothly across the tongue just like an Oktoberfest should. Nice smooth finish has a rather big chewy kind of falvor to it. Very drinkable and I enjoyed this beer to the last drop.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A nice fest-like beer. Looks a nice amber-orange with an aroma of toasted malts. Tastes "malty" the same way other good German lagers do with some caramel and toffee. I don't know how this is the #1 Oktoberfest beer as Sam claims, but its still very smooth and drinkable. Worthy of a litre stein.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got the Sam Adams Oktoberfest at Skipper's in Athens, OH.

Poured a copper color with about a half inch head that dissipated slowly. It looks pretty good, not great.

Smell - not much smell, some "typical" beer smell; no fruit scents or hops scents

Taste - different; I've never had anything with a flavor comparable to this before; malt is definitely the dominant flavor; not much hops, yet it has a nice bitterness to it; I guess I could compare it to an unhoppy Rogue American Amber Ale, but a little watered down; nonetheless, the taste is pretty good

Mouthfeel - great, medium to light bodied

Drinkability - excellent; I drank three in one night

Overall this is a good beer that I want to have more so I can try and pick out some distinguishing flavors.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

A- Tight collar of tan lace stays true, vibrant yet rustic tawny color ... good clarity.

S- Nice malty aroma, toasted bread with light sweetness and faint herbal hop.

T&M- Very malty, not overly sweet. Lots of bready notes, lightly toasted crust comes to mind. Kiss of hops to balance, slight herbal flavor. Finishes semi-sweet with a lingering maltiness.

D- A tasty choice this year, its good to have a fresh O-fest rather than getting burned by a stale imported O-fest that has been sitting around since last year. A great contrast to some crab cakes with some homemade spicy remoulade sauce.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Copper reddish brown color when poured. Very little to show for head or its retention, as well as miniscule lace on the first few sips.

S: Somewhat rich and toasty malt aromas, which contrast with a hint of spice and sweetness.

T: Carbonation got in the way of what could be a better malt-heavy beer. The taste comes through, but mostly toward the middle-end after a light introduction. However, the toasty notes leave a more pleasant aftertaste, but begin to dull a bit.

M: Tasted a little too carbonated, which curled the tongue and hurt the immediate finish. This made it light-tasting, it seems. On tap this felt even worse, but out of the bottle it was slightly more bearable.

D: Probably good for a couple rounds, but after a while, the composition of this beer can make it tough to go through the cyclical carbonated taste and lack of spontaneity in the flavor.

A little too... middle-of-the-road, I'd say. I was expecting something better from this seasonal due to the good things I've heard through word-of-mouth, but in the end was slightly disappointed.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

A- clear with a nice "Autumn" brown color with a little red hue. Head was light and thin but stuck around while drinking

S- slightly sweet with a caramel/toast and floral type hops, nice.

T- caramel and toasted flavor. A slight aftertaste, not bad

M- a little thin but smooth, OK

D- generally good but I wouldn't want more than a couple of these at once

All in all a decent beer. It is definitely drinkable with its best quality being the smell with mouthfeel next. You can tell the alcohol is there when drinking it.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Deep orangish amber, typical Marzen color. Clear but weak head.

S- Mildly hoppy with some spice and fruit sweetness.

T&M- Very chewy with caramel and toasty malts. Alcohol is present as well as some fruit sweetness. Pretty balanced as the hops bite in when the malt gets to be too much and both fade together to give it smooth finsh with only a slight aftertaste of caramel malt. Good body

D- Not bad but not ground breaking either. I have had better versions locally than this and I still would prefer some of the Munich versions as well. They keep tweeking this and they are gradually removing the over-sweet character every try but haven't gotten it just right yet. It also seems to get more avergae every year too. Give it a shot but I didn't have more than two before I switched to something else.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

This came from a 12 oz bottle with a February '07 best-by date. Poured a clear, invited reddish-orange. Small white head with little retention. Light smells of malt and warm spices. Taste focuses, too, on the malt. Hints of caramel. Not as strong as it could be, but very refreshing. Small fizz on the front of the tongue, but overall a bit creamy. A nice beer, very easy to drink, perfect for the fall, not too complex. Like most Sam Adams beers, I would gladly pick it up again.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

After all the hype surrounding this beer, I was sorely disappointed when I got to try it at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I found this beer to be a very average beer and was left wondering why there was so many forum posts lauding this as the best Oktoberfest beer. Other then the color of the beer, nothing else about it would make me believe this was an Oktoberfest style beer, and I would be more apt to call it a generic dark beer. Color was a medium to dark brown with a thin head. I found the beer to seem somewhat watery and very light in terms of mouthfeel. Aroma had mild hops, and the flavor was much the same. All in all, a pretty average brew that doesn't live up to the hype. I regret to say, this was the worst beer I had at the Oktoberfest but was the one I was really looking forward to trying. It was 'OK', but nothing I would go out and buy to stock my fridge with.

Crystal clear copper, thin tan head that fades to lace.

Subtle malty aroma, no real hops noticeable. Some fruitiness, but very faint.

Taste is pleasantly sweet and malty. No hoppiness. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, faintly carbed, clean and dry.

Very, very drinkable. I drank half a case of this this weekend. Not a terrific Oktoberfest, but certainly drinkable, and inexpensive.

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a clear copper amber color with a moderate off-white head that has a nice retention. Nose is sweet with notes of toasted malts. Taste is also on the sweet side but without much depth. There are some fainter biscuity notes later in the taste, but it comes across too thinly. I’ll pass—there are many superior Oktoberfests to be had.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

A brillant copper/reddish color. The malt stands out in the aroma and pretty much dominates the scent through out each smell. The flavor, the malt is very evident, with a slight twinge of bitterness from the hops, which leaves the palate nice and dry. The feel is like an oxymoron, thick water is the best way to describe the feel. Fairly easy to drink, but the lack of hop flavor doesn't seem to balance the flavor out.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Poured a beautiful and clear copper - I wish I could brew my homebrew to be this gorgeous a color and sheen.
S - A very small hint of nutmeg and other spices with biscuit malt.
T - Tasted very light with a malty sweetness with a crisp, dry finish. This was very simple and seemed to be lightened compared to other offerings I have had so far this year.
M - The mouthfeel was clean and dry with no cloying aftertaste.
D - I could probably drink 12 of these in a marathon session without a problem.
This is a great crossover-fest and a nice session beer for Autumn.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearence--Crisp deep amber color, 2cm. of off white head.

Smell--carmely malts, not very strong though

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nice strong malty flavors, not too sweet. Good body and nice carbonation. Overall, I really like the taste of this beer.

Drinkability--I thoroughly enjoy drinking this one.

Notes--maybe not the best Oktoberfest around, but it's always solid and usually available come September.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Finally decided to get this one, and I'm glad I did. Pours a hazy orangei-sh brown hue with respectable head and a little lacing. The aroma is molasses, cinnamon, a little clove, and unfortunately a decent bit of alcohol. The flavor is decently rich with more molasses and cinnamon. It's sweet but not as much as I was expecting. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is too thin and lacks any noticeable carbonation. Drinkability is pretty high. This is a fine O-Fest and I would reccomend it. Underrated in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

With fall on the way and summer coming close to an end some of my favorite seasonals begin to emerge. With the weather cooling down Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales begin to become more and more appealing. I thought that I'd give this beer another try and in turn review it again, now that my appreciation and taste for beer has grown.

The color of this beer is a beautiful crystal clear copper. Kind of like the color of some of the Autumn Leaves that drift by my window. Although the leaves are still green now, the color of this beer reminds me of those falling leaves. Head starts off at two fingers, somewhat off white and creamy in appearance. Lacing is fair. Head retention is somwhat poor. The head slowly decreases in size.

Aroma of this beer is also quite good. It is very potent, as soon as the bottle was opened the boquet of aroma hit me in the face. There's not that many beers that I've had where the aroma is that strong and appealing. It seems that more often than not one has to try to find the aroma, searching for it. Not so with this beer. To the nose it is malty sweet smelling of caramel and a hint of spicy noble hop character.

This beer in my opinion is definitely better on the colder side. The flavors just seem to come out better. Noticeable in the flavor are caramaly and some spicy herbal characteristics. Bittering hops do a nice job of balancing the brew out, keeping the malty and caramel flavors in check.

This beer is smooth and well rounded. It goes down easy and is very drinkable. Its got a medium body although it seems a bit thin. Carbonation is in check, appropriate for the style. This would make for a good session beer were the alcohol a bit lower. A good beer to drink once a year, but with so many others out there of the same style with the same limitability it seems unlikely that I'll buy this beer again this season.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a brilliant clear orange with a thin lid of slightly yellowish head. Sweet, cool smell of malted milk balls... SO malty. Initial taste is crisp and bitey, slight carbonation tingle resolving to a mild bitterness blended nicely with a substantial, but dry, maltiness. I think that's key to good Oktoberfest beers -- big malt flavor without cloying sweetness. I could definitely have a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a varietal of beer that I have yet to delve into very deeply, so this is based on narrow experience. I poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall, strait Sam Adams glass. The color was beatiful burnt orange and brown, fits perfectly with the season. The head was thing and off white, and disappeared fairly quickly. The nose was of biscut, no descernable hops (as I assume is how this should go). Taste was simple, and enjoyable. Sweet and smooth, with a mouthfeel slightly lighter than I'd like, although not far enough off as for me to use "watery" to describe it. The finish is warm and smooth.

This beer fits the season and is extremely drinkable. Even better: its available almost anywhere you'll find burr, so its something you can enjoy without any searching.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

I've tried a bunch of different Octoberfests now including Spaten, Beck's, Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, and Samuel Adams. The Americanized Samuel Adams one was a decent one. It wasn't the best I've had but I would recomend it. I first took a few sips directly from the bottle like I usually do then I took in the aroma directly from the bottle. I then poured it into a Samuel Adams glass that I own. The color was a deep amber copper. I liked that. The taste was a mild toffe and caramel with a smooth finish. It wasn't overly sweet or overpowering. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as flavorful as say the Black Lager or the Cherry Wheat. It is a good beverage for a cool autumn day however.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)