Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,141 | Ratings: 7,412
3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A nice example of a nice style, pours a nice coppery amber hue with a quickly dimishing tannish white head. A nice maly taste with biscuity caramel overtones. A widely available beer which usually finds its way to my refridgerator this time of year. A safe bet, not extreme by any means. Yet it gets the job done. Another example of Boston Brewing Companies ability to produce solid offerings for each season of the year.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Is it that time already??!!

Reviewing the 2006 Edition of Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I swear this beer gets sweeter and less hoppy every year. Can anyone confirm this, or is it a matter of changing tastebuds?

Poured with deep copper color with a minimal tan head. There was pretty decent lacing...more than I expected, and it stuck around for the duration of the beer.

Smell is all sweet, with caramel and toasted malts being the dominant smells. It definitely smells like an American style fall beer. In the mouth, this felt a bit watery, and there was a pretty strong tingle from the carbnoation.

Tastewise, this is pretty indicitive of the style. Lots of sweetness, with just enough hop to keep you drinking. There is a noticably buttery flavor aside from the usual sources of sweetness, and a slightly dry aftertaste with an almost veggy like flavor throughout. Not sure if I'd have more than 2-3 of these because of the sweetness. Personally, I'd like a bit mroe hop action on the back end, but maybe that's just not the style. I hope I'm not losing my taste for Oktoberfests. Still, another fine effort from Sam Adams. I'd never shy away from it.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear copper color , with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is mildly sweet and toasty , some light caramel , and a bit of noble hop tinge. Taste is slightly roasty , sweet , tad bit of spice and balancing hop. Mouthfeel is medium. A verydrinkable marzen , pretty good and definatly worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear dark amber with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a fine layer with lacing.

The smell was pretty delicate but I did note some malt sweetness.

The taste has notes of caramel maltiness, some grain and there's a hoppy bitterness near and through the finish. Not a bad brew at all and worth trying for sure.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

A deep amber color with a large fluffy white head. Excellent carbonation, and some trails of lacing. Smell is spot on for an Oktober. Stale malts, and a hint of hops. Taste is different. Sweet caramel malt backbone upfront, with almost a vegetable-like bready undertone. Flavor is pretty one dimensonal, and bland. Noble hops sweep in towards the end, providing a small amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp. Drinkability is average.

This is an average Oktoberfest. I recommend you try one at least once.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a couple a pints of these on tap at "Quench" a restaurant and martini bar in Waterbury, CT. The look and smell were typical; the beer tasted fresh, however, and there were distinct cramel-brown notes with a chewy middle and a dry finish. There wasn't much bittering going on, but there was some sflavor hop which contributed to the smokey overall non-sweetness. This one would be better to drink solo than to pair with food, I had the grilled pork chops with mushrooms and gorgonzola, with angel hair and anchovies; the meal was fantastic, but I kept going back to the glass of water instead of the Sam's octoberfest/

2.49/5  rDev -32%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

appearance: The pour produces a 0.5" khaki head that recedes to the standard ring and thin layer. The beer is a rich medium amber in color, reminiscent of the reds and oranges of fall.

smell: Notes of toasted caramel on the nose with a nice, malty sweetness bringing aromas of red apples and dried dates. The light touch of ethanol is quite nice. Low hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation rides the border between medium and high, and is smooth. The body is medium. Instead of being slick after the swallow, the finish is nice and clean, which I appreciate.

taste: Nice blend of malts give subtle notes of caramel and some woody earthiness. Not as malty as the "Malt Lover's Dream" reverse label would have me believe, though. Not too much depth of flavor here. Light noble hop flavor and a nice, drying bitterness in the finish.

drinkability: An easy drinking, good beer. It's got some characters that bring to mind the fallen leaves associated with fall.

Single bottle purchased at Whole Foods...notched as best by February, which I assume means 2007.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

I have always been a fan of the Sam Seasonals. This particular beer had a great first bite to it. It also helps that it has a high alcohol content, you will be buzzed before you know it. You notice the dark color as soon as you poor into your glass, and the aroma reminds of the fall. Great beer to drink while watching football.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

12oz single, Woodman's - West, enjoyed on NFL opening night

appearance: pours into a great dane imperial pint glass...big clear amber body, pretty dark, creamy beige-tan head with a lot of retention and very nice lacing

smell: toasted malt, carmamel, earthy leaf aroma, light hop presence behind the scenes, apple, wood. Overall pretty faint

taste: Well, It's not mindblowing but its pretty well made and very enjoyable. Bold toasted malt dominates the flavour, very seasonal feel with a twig/leaf thing going on that works out well, roasted nuts, caramel apple, thick malt backed by noble hops. I like it.

mouthfeel: medium-full body, slick but smooth

drinkability: high, good fall seasonal

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

This was a pretty good beer. It most certainly has a "fall" feel. I was pretty disappointed with the mouthfeel, but that might of been becasuse I was keeping my beer to cold. Sam Adams Octoberfest certainly does make you wish that certain seasonal brews were around all year.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep amber color with a one finger width off white head that settles down to a film. Smells very malty (apparently four malts are used). The taste is very malty with some complexity and some hops in the backgrouend. The flavor is very rich and fulfilling. The mouth has nice carbination and the beer seems a little heavy in the mouth. A good and very drinkable Octoberfest beer.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks like the leaves that are about to fall, or those that have possible prematurely fallen from all the hurricane winds lately. A lighter-to-darker (depending on the light) orange amber color. Slightly off-white head leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel sweetness and slightly roasted malt, some maple and slight vanilla. Also some breadiness is there too.

Taste: A nice balance of malt sweetness, some buttery flavors and caramel, and a tad bit of roastiness. Some bread-like notes and slight nuttiness. Finishes slightly sweet, with some caramel flavors on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Fairly full without being undercarbonated, with a good full burst of carbonation at the end.

Drinkability: One of the better domestics in my opinion, and I'll usually grab at least a couple six packs once the season comes. This may be too sweet with not enough hops for some folks, but I think it comes with the season, and I can easily make a session out of this.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Sam Adams Octoberfest pours a nice deep orange, quite clear. Smell is sweet and malty, and lighter smelling than I expected. Taste is quite strong sweet maltiness, with a bready flavor. Hops are nonexistant, I guess that goes with the style. Overall a pretty good beer, but I'll probably stick to one six pack this year.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

2006 edition pours a radiant copper amber body with a small khaki head that retains well and produces some attractive lacing. Aroma is disinctive noble hops and caramel malt. Mouthfeel features spritzy carbonation and a light medium body. Taste is a well balanced blend of toffee and caramel maltiness and noble hop bitterness. Crisp and refreshing. An excellent American Oktoberfest that is tasty and sessionable.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

I'm a big fan or fall time spiced beers, but the 2 bottles had last night didn't do alot for me. It poured a gorgeous amber color and had a nice frothy head for a few minutes, but my particular beer had an overwhelming pumpkin scent. I like pumpkin smelling beer, but this smelled a little too pumpkin-earthy for me - it almost smelled like bad pumpkins (after Halloween and stinky).

It was decent, but I won't be running to pick up another six pack. At best, I would consider it "avergage", but I was a little disappointed overall.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2/7/07 freshness date

A: Pours a reddish amber with a fizzy head that quickly disappears. Lacing quickly slides down the glass after each sip.

S: Sort of a dirty musty malt aroma.

T: Malty and sweet with flavors of cereal grains and honey.

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: This gets the same reaction as most other brews from SA. Decent and definitely drinkable, but hardly as good as other craft brewers that produce on a smaller scale. Cheap, and easily accessible, but not noteworthy.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz bottle, best before February, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear brownish red with a ¾ inch off white fluffy head that slowly sputters down to a thin sheet, laces in thick rings…almost like stripes

S—caramel and holiday spices, sweet with a little sour twang that comes out

T—very well balanced…I was expecting it to be more sweet than it is, caramel is present, but not to dominate. The autumn spices are in there, too. It got a little bland toward the end

M—smooth, but a drier finish, medium bodied, good carbonation

D—not bad at all, glad I tried it and I will enjoy the rest of the 6er. I do, however, prefer a sweeter oktoberfest brew.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer looks gorgeous. Beautiful orange/red body with initially thick head that thins but does not dissappear. Smell is a plethora of hops, yeast, and wheat. Some caramel-like scent there too? Very flavorful. Sweet, malty, and yeasty, with some hop bitterness present. More or less well balanced, and medium bodied. A very decent beer. Definitely among the best Sam Adams beers I’ve ever had. I am impressed. I love fall beers anyway though.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Update from previous review: It's been 5 years since I first reviewed this beer. I've had it now and again, without issue, but I'm not so happy with this year's batch. I've had it several times and it just doesn't sit right. It's darker with more caramel notes, the hops lack character (probably just an actual hop crop issue), and the bitterness is seemingly a touch high. I see how it fits within the "Oktoberfest/Märzen" style, but with the addition of more caramel character it doesn't even suggest Munich malts, it just seems like an amber lager to me. On to my previous review...

Sam Adam's always delivers, so when I went to pick up an Octoberfest (OKtoberfest with a K is actually trademarked in Germany, so kudos to Sammy for the "C") this year I naturally gravitated towards them. Some of the O'fests from Germany have been getting weaker and weaker and more watered down over the years. Hell, some of them are gold in color!

It has a great appearance with a clear, orange and gold accented copper that just 'looks like fall'. It's got great head retention and it leaves some very nice lacing behind.

The nose is clean and fresh with some delicate, caramelish and toasty malt.

The flavor offers all of the soft, bready, and lightly toasty malt that you'd expect with a touch of tea-like and mildly floral hops to lend it some character. The bitterness is present but unassuming; and it finishes fairly short and dry. More importantly, it's remarkably clean, fresh tasting, and superbly balanced.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a medium body and restrained, moderate carbonation that help to accentuate its malt.

It's refined. It has finesse. It's remarkably drinkable. There are other, more fully flavored fests out there, but I'm not sure any of them have quite the same quaffability that Sammy offers. Prost!

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a very nice, clear copper with a khaki head, showing some lacing. Smell is bready malt and faint hops. Initially full of toasty, slightly toffeeish, caramel malts then drying into an earthy, spicy, yet restrained hop finish. This years also seems to have a bit of nuttiness to it. Perhaps it's always been there, perhaps not, but it's fantastic. A tad bid of acidity is in the mix and is most present in the finish, but I quite enjoy it. Mouthfeel is on the full side for an Ofest, but this remains very drinkable.

Always an enjoyable beer, i manage to pick it up at least once or twice when it comes out.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

I've enjoyed this beer a lot in previous years, but I'm not sure this year's is for me. It's pretty enough, amber in color with a medium white head. I had difficulty with the aroma, as in it wasn't there. Some pumpkin spice, some sweetness like maple syrup. Very subtle. Ditto for the taste. It was sweet, but that was about it. Smooth in the mouth. I've had half of the 6 pack I bought. Maybe I'll give the others to my wife.

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this on tap at a cool bar (although not very beer friendly) on the riverfront in Peoria called Martini's.

Cinnamon orange in color, this had a 1/2 finger head that didn't stick around too long. If it had a green head it would look just like a pumpkin.

Smelled weakly of pumpkin pie filling and spices. I gave it a fairly low score in the smell department not because I didn't like the smell, but simply because there wasn't much of it. I couldn't really smell much besides the very faint pumpkiny spice and a little bit of hoppy zest.

Tastes pretty damn good! Raw pumkin pie filling, spiced pumkin bread, orange rind. This is more heavily hopped than I would have expected. IMO it had a pale ale quality to it, but with autumnal pumkin spice. Mouthfeel is light to medium and carbonation is adequate but on the lighter side.

This is a great fall beer that I will surely have again! This tastes more like pumpkins than the Blue Moon pumpkin ale I had the other night.

Note: I picked up another sixer of this 9/9/07, and I'm convinced that while it's a great session beer and a good stab at one of my favorite styles. Not one of the best fest biers, but it is widely available and cheap. This is an autumn staple in my house.

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

I'm not sure what it is about this beer, but I have a great affection for it. It's probably something to do with the fact that when I first came to the US from England and discovered American beer wasn't just all Budweiser and Miller, Sam Adams was the first good beer I was introduced to and then shortly afterwards when the Octoberfest seasonal was released for that year, it really was an exciting time as the realisation dawned that here was a whole new continent of beer waiting to be discovered. The gateway to a new world indeed.

I have sampled many great beers since then and continue to do so, and yet Sam Adams Octoberfest continues to be one of my favourites.

Like the ornithologist who spots the first migrant birds arriving, every year around this time it lights up my day when I spot the familiar orange packaging on the otherwise bland Central Florida supermarket beer aisle shelves. Every year I buy a case and consume it over the next few months, and then I forget about it again until about this time, when once more I enjoy the clean, crisp, refreshing taste that makes this beer.

I think this would probably be my session beer of choice if I was forced to nominate one. It's a beer I could just go on drinking forever, quite easily. A simply fantastic creation.

Incidentally, I first spotted this beer at the end of August this year, which is the earliest I recall, as I normally notice its arrival sometime in September. No complaints here though. None at all.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a muddy brown with a thick yet light in consistency head. Some lacing throughout. The smells of note are fruits such as grape and plum. Tastes sweet with raisen and floral essence. Brown sugar and caramel notes as well. Quite smooth on the pallate but I couldn't drink this consistently because of the sweetness. I like it but not in great amounts.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)