Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,477 |  Reviews: 2,148
3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A-pours a clear red amber with a foamy tan head with good retention
S-caramel, hint of spice, bit faint overall
T-sweet malt up front met with a subtle hop bitterness that provides excellent balance
M-light-medium bodied
O-really well balanced and very drinkable. Nice beer from Sam Adams, although there are some better examples of the style

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance has a nice thick of white head the settles nicely. The color is a dark amber color with faint orange highlights.

Smell is a light malty tone. Not too much in this catagory.

The taste at first is sweet and fruity with a pretty strong malt aftertaste.

Has a very balanced amount of carbonation with a nice smooth finish.

This has a good drinkablility for me with a decent ABV. I have had better but we will see how the others compare because it tis be the season for more Oktoberfest beer!

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bottle into pint glass.

A- deep orange/red. very clean looking. very nice decent head. dissipated into thin white layer on top.

S- Cant tell a whole lot here. I have a little cold so I can smell much. I do smell some sweetness. Definitly malty.

T- A little bland due to cold but Im doing my best. Im getting some sweet maltyness to it. A mix of carbonation and hop at the end, not very powerful though.

MF- A little leftover creamy layer to it. A little aftertaste nothing bad.

O-overall this is a pretty good beer. I will probably re-review/edit in a couple days when i get my senses all the way back.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is red with copper undertones. Two fingers to white head dissipated very quickly to leave a skim of lacing and ring around the edge. No bottle cap can float on that.

Smell: Subdued sweet caramel, molasses, and a little dark chocolate.

Taste: Much like the aromas, the typical märzen flavors are very subdued. The caramel comes through, though the molasses and dark chocolate from the smell are faint at best. A spicy hop backbone dominates throughout the pint.

Drinkability: Decent, but it is far from my favorite märzen.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Purchased August 31st, 2009. Poured from a bottle into an Imperial Pint glass for kicks.

A - pours a deep orange color with a slightly creamy head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - smells like a typical lager; nothing special

T - didn't notice this until I sat down to taste and write, but the beer has a very faint apple/cidery taste reminiscent of some light lagers I've tasted and brewed. Again, it's faint, but it's there in the back, towards the end.

M - Good carbonation with a texture that's not quite smooth or harsh. Hits the back of your tongue slightly towards the end, but disappears fairly quickly.

D - Like most beers, it depends on what you've had before you've tried this. I've had instances where this beer has been too heavy and made me feel bloated, whereas at the moment, this beer is just right and goes down easy. Stay away from sugary and sweet foods and have this with something like a pizza with mild toppings.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a nice clear copper color with a full light tan head. Pretty decent looking beer.

Smell is mainly of the malt and yeast, maybe a hint of lemon.

Very malty tasting, with a bit of sweetness.

Pretty good mouthfeel.

Not a real complex beer, the malt very much dominates. It does go down nice and easy, and is pretty good, but nothing I'd go out of my way for either. If you like malty beers, this is the one to try.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

2 bottles poured into 1 liter dimpled glass.

Appearance: Dark copper color with 2 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly, minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts, some spiciness

Taste: Malty sweetness, some caramel flavors, slight hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Light body, some carbonation

Overall: A nice change up from my steady diet of hop heavy beers. I know fall is around the corner when I start seeing this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: reddish amber with an off-white slowly diminishing head. A fair amount of lacing. I had worse expectations.

Aroma: lots of sweet malt with some grainy smells as well

Taste: sweet malty taste and a slightly bitter, watery taste. A little alcohol is present. This is kind of a one-dimensional beer. It's an Octoberfest, so its not gonna blow me away, but I have had better. The malts are definately too weak here.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but the carbonation was done fairly well.

Drinkability: I could have a bunch of these. I had a couple out of the bottle while watching a football game and eating Taco Bell and it was great. I think its a good session brew for football games, though I would definately take Boston Lager over it.

Notes: Not bad for what it is. If you are looking for flavor, go somewhere else, but if you want a beer with more flavor than Budweiser, but the same drinkability for those long football game parties, try a Sam Adams.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle, dated Feb. '08 poured into SA glass.

A: dark copper/amber with 2 finger light tan head and medium carbonation

S: a bit sweet, caramels and light raisiny aroma

T: similar to aroma but with some toasted malt

M: creamy with a medium body

D: very drinkable. I look forward to this every fall

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A: poured a dark, burnt orange color, a little more toward the brown side. not a tall head, but pretty dense for what is there. excellent lacing.

S: very heavy on the sweet, malty smells, very grainy smelling, very few hops, if any, not bad, but not very interesting either.

T: very malty, some definite roasted characteristics, nice underlying smoke. malts linger on the palate nicely. sweet. a definite honey flavor. no bitterness. very smooth in general.

M: thick, rich and heavy, coats the mouth. not too shabby.

D: this is a fairly drinkable beer, but not one of my favorite styles. pretty mellow, smooth, and easy drinking though. all in all not too bad. i'd pour a few of these down if on a night out.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Mediocre offering from our friends at Boston Beer Co. Sweet malty core with a periphery of dried fruit and leaf and a metallic note or two. Slim body. The greatest point about Sam Adams October Fest is that it succeeds in bringing the sensations of autumn to the palate.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Pours a deep rusty orange. A very clear beer with great carbonation and one finger white head. Average retention and lacing

S - Very light aromas. Mainly caramel malts with a slight nuttiness to it

T - Very good flavor. Nice and malty with a nutty caramel flavor. Reminds me of fall

M - Light to medium body. Slightly creamy and very smooth.

O - A good offering by Sam Adams. Easy drinking with a great flavor. Not an earth shattering beer, but one I could enjoy several of in one sitting.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

I remembered liking this a couple years back, so at $11.99/12 it seemed a good buy. Pouring and drinking it, there seemed to be a perfect affinity to the Dogfish Head 90 I also picked up (my favorite for the last year or so). It's like a 90 lite. Malty. Tastey and nice smell.

My only turn off is that officially somebody is calling it a Marzen. I have hated that style (can't remember whose). Ah, what's in a name. I already had two and I think I'll have another!

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

I like Sam. For the most part. Like is different than love of course. Some beers evoke a more passionate response because they are just sooo good. Some beers are loathsome, wretched, abominations. Samuel Adams is good. Not great, but good. Now this particular brew, the Octoberfest, is a very lush amber colour with a decent head that disappears a bit quickly. carbonation is slight but that works with the flavour heavy style. Not all flavours being equal however this is no fantastic beer journey. It's fine. Not very hoppy, a bit spicy, but not much. Try it. Life will go on.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

The bottle poured a nice deep orange with a finger of white head, tiny bubbles, not overly carbonated. There wasn't much of an aroma to this beer, light malt, maybe some caramel.
The taste beats the smell by far. The lack of aroma led me to be very surprised, by a nice sweet caramel taste, sweet malt and very little bitterness in the finish. Leaves a bit of a sticky mouthfeel. It is has a pretty good drinkability, nice to have a few as the summer is ending.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Month of expiration clearly marked.

This is a moderate beer, pure and simple. Not a challenging brew, but not especially disappointing either, it just exists.

Pours a very pretty red amber color. Head retention is above average, off white, and very fine. Smell is almost non-existent. Taste is ok. Malt profile dominates (obviously). Quite heavy for a lager.

I really have nothing to complain about here, but then again, I won’t buy this again either.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

this stuff in the candy corn of the beer community. every year it comes around and every year it suckers me back in. sam adams' seasonals are supposed to be good! their summer is great, and sam spring is on a different level all together! however, their attempt at the marzen style is just futile. it's not that great of a style of beer to begin with, but theirs just has a little to much hops, isn't quite full bodied enough and doesn't have enough malt. plus, it leaves a sort of burnt taste in your mouth. definitely not my favorite beer in the world!

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear red-brown with one-and-a-half finger, white, creamy head that lasted a couple minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Caramel malt, bread, mild.

T: Light to moderate sweetness and light bitterness. Toasty malt. Mild flavor.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Crisp and refreshing.

O: There's nothing wrong with this beer, but the aroma and taste are mild and uninteresting. Not bad though.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Well this is a good beer and is decently colored an amberly flow with tints of fall, leaves turning all colors of red brown and orange, in a glass. The smell is up front and malty and a distinct lager smell of cold storage. I don't know but I seem to be able to smell a lager before I taste it. The taste for this beer was a blend of malts and tings of molasses and dark malt happiness. There was a after-taste of spiced pumkin and fresh fallen leaves that at first was unwelcome and then excepted and pleasant. I have had this beer for several years now and while I thought 2003 was better this year is not bad, and I will surely have another before they are gone.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A good Marzen Oktoberfest, but I was a bit disappointed in this, from Samuel Adams.
I must admit, I rate my Oktoberfest's and Pumpkin Ale's in opposing methods:
for Pumpkin beers: the less intense the pumpkin and spices, the better
for Marzen beers: the more intense the experience, the better

Well balanced, with a friendly hint of spice and apples, his Oktoberfest lacked the finishing punch for me. I'll drink it again, but if you're looking for a bolder offering of this style, Great Lakes Brewing's Oktoberfest is hard to beat.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this on tap while waiting for my delayed plane that never came. This was the best thing they had I think.

A: Very nice amber color with gold highlights and a brown hued core. Small ring of head. A little lacing.

S: A nice nutmegish caramel with some darker bread. Maybe a flutter of cocoa and berry? Not aromatic at all, I really had to get in there to smell this one.

T: Not bad overall, pretty balanced with lots of bready malt and a lagerlike clean finish. Lemon zest hops add something nice to it and theres also tones of toasted toffee. Has that signature Sam taste thats hard to define but permeates all of their beers. Not overly complex, but ok. A little too sweet as well.

M: Very carbonated and medium in feel. Nice sweet clean finish.

Overall not bad, but the sweetness gets to you and as it warms, you see the flaws in their ingredients too.

Serving type: 22oz bottle poured into a sam adams tulip glass

Appearance : copper amber in color. A ample head forms after a less than aggressive pour.

Smell : subtle malts aromas also some subtle spicy pumpkin notes

Taste : not any huge taste going on here. Zero hop bitterness but nice malt flavor. Very refreshing and easy to drink another well crafted beer from Sam Adams and at $2.50 a bottle its worth enjoying a bottle.

Mouthfeel : light body with less than average carbonation

Overall : this is a well crafted beer and beer is easy to enjoy .

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

The Samuel Adams Octoberfest pours a very bright amber with plenty of effervescence. The white head mostly dissipated after a minute but still clung to life minutes later.

The aroma is malty, definitely sweet, with floral notes. At first taste there is a slight sweetness and a faint bitterness which lingers as a distant aftertaste. There is no dominant sweetness nor is there a flavor I would describe as "delicious."

The mouthfeel is very light bordering on watery. Unfortunately for the Sam Adams, I have had some very good Märzens so I some perspective to work with. I would rate this beer as good but not great.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)