Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 7,544 ratings
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,544 |  Reviews: 2,162
2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

App:Perfect apricot and copper color. Head quickly leaves, retention is nothing, lacing is nothing.

Nose: Very faint malt.

Taste: Solid Sam Adams style mouthfeel, coppery and crisp, dry and slightly chemical. Sweet at the end.

Notes: I was excited to get this on tap. I was let down after the first glass. People look forward to this beer. I am interested to see how the rating changes this season.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%

2.22/5  rDev -39.5%

I am baffled reading the reviews of this one... and wondering if I got an off 6 pack. The beer is great to look at... translucent amber / ruby with a thin, lacy head... but in all other respects was very unimpressive. Somewhat malty in flavor and aroma, with very noticeable medicinal (almost like maraschino cherries) overtones that almost make the beer undrinkable. Some hops bitterness in the finish as well, which is kind of out of character for the style. Pretty thin, with medium to high carbonation. This is one that I have really enjoyed in the past, but if it's supposed to taste the way this 6-er does, I won't be drinking it anymore.

2.24/5  rDev -39%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

This beers looks great - deep amber hue with a frothy head. The problem I have with it is the cloying sweetness. Hops are barely discernible, it's just an overwhelming toffee like sweetness with a weird apple like aftertaste. Really hard to drink more than one of these.

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.29/5  rDev -37.6%

Where's is the pumpkin??

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a darke copper orange with low carbonation and a thin, barely there at all, head. Laces some. The malt smells too toasty for me. Too much of a noble hop presence in the nose as well. Aside from that, has typical malty body of an oktoberfest. Flavors are off and not what I expect when I open a bottle of what I think to be an oktoberfest. It has a malty sweetness, yes, but that is far overdone. Lacks any depth to the malt flavors. Just sweetness. Hop flavors stand out way too much. No clean lager finish. What is this? Syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is too prickly. I don't care for this much, but it's not the worst thing I've had.

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Color is a rich orange with very slight head, but many big bubbles coating the inside of the glass. Things die down quickly as it would seem to flatten as I type. Smells slightly sour with faint traces of malt.

Tastes lightly malty and malt-nutty over citrus notes with an almost imperceptible bitter aftertaste. I can really taste the sourness I am smelling, though... almost like milk gone bad. Not appealing at all.

Otherwise, the mouthfeel is light and carbonation is so gentle and rounded that it's watery-smooth. The overall flatness and my urge to pour it down the drain when I whiff it make the drinkability low for me. Maybe I had a bad bottle but man, this would not be my first Oktoberfest choice.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 49.2% out of 100 with 7,544 ratings