Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,477 |  Reviews: 2,148
3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.3/5  rDev -37%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

09/04/15
On tap at Pete’s. Aroma is just nothing. Faintest malt nose. Dark copper color, though very clear. Taste is barley, hay, fairly bland with an off putting aftertaste. Feel is mostly flat, little creamy to balance.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

One finger off white head, dissipated fairly quickly. Little lacing left behind. Orange/copper color, Crystal clear. Tasted is a nice toasty lager, a little bit of a bitter bite at the end. Bready, toast, a little sweet malt. Light body, medium carbonation. A little thinner than I'd like for the style. Overall, a petty good mass produced oktoberfest lager, but there are better out there.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle.

L: Very clear dark amber color with a foamy off white head.

S: Malty and sweet. Maybe some faint hop presence.

T: Sweet caramel malt. Raisins. Bitter finish with something odd I can't quite place. Leaves a lingering caramel malt taste.

O: Like I said there is some odd flavor I can't quite place. Also just too sweet for my taste. For what it's worth though, I am reviewing this poured from a bottle. I had it on tap a few weeks ago and it was much better on tap.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.41/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L: Cooper Orange, thin white head

S: Malt primarily, hints of caramel and ginger

T: Seasonal spice with a roasted caramel malt backbone. Minimal bitterness, very smooth and sweet.

F: Nice an creamy, good carbonation.

O: I'd go ahead and have like 7, these are great. Very easy drinking, reminds me of the chill of fall.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Second-to-last bottle from my six-pack. Best-by date is March of 2017, so should still be pretty fresh.

Color is a burnt-orange sort of thing, one of the darker Oktoberfest beers I've had. Very clear, with a ton of little rising bubbles throughout and a very nice layer of cream-colored foam on top. Really nice-looking beer!

Smell is pleasant, though not standing out as much as the appearance. There's a definite sweetness in the background, a toasty bread/doughy sort of thing coming in ahead of that, and occasionally a little hint of hop spiciness (this is far from a hoppy beer of course, but they are present.)

Most prominent flavors on the first sip are toasty bread and that doughy sort of thing. The sweetness from the smell is not as noticeable in the flavor, though still there in the background. Same goes for that slight hop spiciness, it's juuust barely there.

Mouthfeel is pretty nice overall, though I do have some minor complaints. Very drinkable, seems maybe a tad thin at some times (mostly after the foam has started to shrink away.) Despite the massive amount of rising bubbles in this beer it never seems overly prickly, just has a nice soft bubbliness to it.

Overall, not my favorite Oktoberfest (last year's Sierra Nevada still holds that title so far) but a surprisingly good one considering all the hate it seems to get -- I was honestly really impressed when I had my first bottle from this six-pack, especially after reading so many posts describing it as overly sweet (I didn't find it to be *that* sweet at all.) I have had it before, but it was a month or so past its best-by date and was not as good as the fresher version (though still not bad -- I guess this is a malty enough beer to begin with that it holds up better to age compared to a lot of others), so I figured I should revisit it -- glad I did!

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%

4.76/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very good beer, it has some malty taste, but is not too strong on malt. It has a great full-bodied feel and balances sweetness with the slight bitterness of the hops. A great beer - my favourite as of (09-25-16). Even better than Newcastle Brown Ale! However, it's only seasonal.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my baptism into craft beer.

Though I have moved on to more complex and robust things, I always tip my hat to Sam's Oktoberfest. Caramel malts a plenty! This is a creamy, smooth introduction to the style. You can't go wrong with one.

This beer also serves as an introduction to fall, so you gotta give it some love for that as well!

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle freshness notched for January, poured into a pint glass.

Look: Copper topped by a 1 1/2 finger white head that quickly subsides to just a thin layer.

Smell: Clean pleasant smell if a little faint.

Taste: Well balanced, slight hop bitterness on the swallow.

Feel: Medium with light carbonation.

Overall: I find the taste to be quite enjoyable but I'm not detecting much of the toasty flavors described in the style.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.89/5  rDev -20.8%

Seasonal beers sometimes do it for me, but this one lacked a little. It was a little bitter. The pumpkin flavor was a bit strong and the balance with the hops and malts didn't mesh well. It wasn't at all horrible - some of my friends loved it.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)