Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,141 | Ratings: 7,412
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a light warm brown crystal clear body with a nice gentle carbonation and a thick creamy head of off-white foam.

S- Clean smell with hints of light toasted malt and some hop bitterness.

T- This beer has a smooth soft flavor of slightly toasted malt with a slight tanginess to it. This beer finishes crisp and clean with a German hop bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a watery texture. No astringency or fizz from the carbonation

D- This beer has a light smooth maltyness that I wish was stronger. The hops are in balance but to faint because the malt is rather faint.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer poured from the tap into my glass in a nice amer hue. It left a thin, off-white head that disappeared quickly (no big deal; more beer for me!).

I smelled a very floral smell to the hops, and a nice sweet malt. I picture, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, little fingers of scent beckoning me towards the beer as I lift off my feet and float towards it. Yummy!

The taste was very sweet, almost syrupy, with a nice balance of hops. My only disappointment was that it wasn't as full-bodied as some of the other Oktoberfests I've been quaffing, like the Hacker-Pschorr. Sam Adams always crafts a great beer, but their last few seasonals have been, I think, maybe "dumbed-down" just a little bit for the general masses. A little watery and not as full-bodied as the past. But hey...I ain't gonna kick it out of my fridge, you know!

Mouthfeel, again, was a bit watery, but on the up-side, it didn't leave that high-alcohol feel on my tongue that other beers of its alcohol level can sometimes do.

Drinkability: absolutely. I'm a sucker for Sammy A, so even though it wasn't everything I hoped for, I'm still going back for more!

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Paid $5.99 for a 6'er...

The beer pours an amber ale color with a large very light brown colored head, solid head retention, lacing on the bottom half of the glass. The beer was faint of malt, like a weak doppelbock.

The taste is the same as the smell with a medium-heavy carbonation. The beer is nice on the palette but the moderately heavy carbonation fizzles it a bit. Solid drinkability, it did not feel like the beer was a 5.7%abv, so it gains a half a point from the rest.

Final Thought: It is a solid beer, but I would rather pay the same amount for the Boston Lager, but the variety/seasonal quality will always get me back to this one every year...

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Nice deep amber/copper color was topped by a thin head that left zero lacing. Nice malty aroma with some hop wafting up from the glass, much more aromatic than most lager types. Solid malty taste and the Golding hops shine through, good food beer too. Smooth, ful bodied but not thickish, refreshing as a lager should be. Sam Adams might have become a macro-micro, but one thing is assured, one is always assured of a decent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Clear orange-amber with a creamy medium-sized pale oatmeal-colored head. Smells very nice with a fresh continental hopping that breathes forth pine needles and leafy metallic dust. Flavor is doughy caramel in a medium-thick body. Bubbles are a little too present, but as with most beers, the longer it sits the smoother it gets. This beer is enjoyable but I find that it drinks too thick and filling for most occasions.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

You can just about count on SA to produce a good quality brew – and the Oktoberfest is another fine example. Pretty clear amber/red pour, head retention a little lacking, but not bad. Malty in the aroma and taste – along with a lite fall spice finish. Crisp & tangy, medium bodied – an excellent fall drinker brew.

This review was on a bottle, I’ve had some on tap here in STL, even more tasty!!

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a 12 oz bottle and dispersed into a pint glass. Freshness date (notch) of Feb.
Rather average looking beer. A small head forms but disperses immediately but interestingly enough leaves little bits of lacing down the glass. Bronze/ amber in color.
Not a whole lot in the smell. Some spice and malt and a little bit of yeast smell. Not bad but Ive smelled better.
Tastes pretty good. A little sweet but good. Spiciness is there; nutmeg, pepper, pumpkin or squash, and a touch of hops. Malts are pretty heavy in this one.I would have liked to see a little more hop bitterness in the back.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky and sticks to the teeth and tongue a bit. Quite drinkable. I would buy another sixer of this later this year during halloween trick-or-treating or something.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Fairly dark amber colour in the glass. Head dissipated fairly quickly and left little lacing in the glass. Sweet aroma with a bit of spice and fruitiness. Flavour is also slightly sweet with mostly malt flavours. Finishes with a very slight dry, hop finish. A very drinkable beer and certainly one of the better 'fest beers this season.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Poured by bartender into a pint glass an amber/orange color with about a 1/4 inch head. What little head there is fell to a patchy cover over the liquid, left minimal lacing.

Smell: Mostly malt, sweet malt. The scent of an Octoberfest, but somewhat subdued. I let it warm slightly, but the aroma increased in intensity just a small amount, so I went straight ahead and started quaffing it down.

Taste: Malty, prdeominately sweet with carmel and toffee (mostly caramel) flavor. Some hop bitterness on the swallow to provide some balance (or perhaps a little alcohol?), nah, it can't be. This is less than 6.0.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth easy drinking beer.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. An Octoberfest that should not offend BMC guy, yet should have enough taste to satisfy the serious micro drinker. I liked this. I could definitely go for more.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottled notched best before Feb. Poured at about 45 degrees into a pint glass, yielding a foamy one-finger head that faded too soon, leaving a bit of lace. Appearance clear, dark, coppery, with nice effervescence.

Nose is malty, molasses, caramel. Tastes caramel, molasses, dark malty, but not too sweet. Has a fairly dry finish, moderate carbonation doesn't overwhelm.

Easy enough to drink as a session brew, but would match up nicely with a burger or Brat.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Appears a mahogany color with a small tan head. Streaks of lace are left on the glass. Little bits of carbonation slowly rise to the top.
Smell is of sourdough and sweet, fruity malts.
Taste is sweet and sour mix of a malty punch with fruitiness.
Mouthfeel is an okay blend of a sweet & sour mix with a medium bodied feel.

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%

First of all, I'd like to say that this year's SA Octoberfest is far and away, much better than last year's.
Appearance is a dark amber with a frothy head typical of most SA beers. The head disappates quickly but the lacing lasts throughout.
Aroma is not strong and hardly noticable.
Taste of malt stands out the most. Thoughts of pumkin pie come to mind (although this may be subliminal due to the season).
Mouthfeel is smooth and carbonation is very typical of other SA beers - not overbearing.
All in all this is a good seasonal - appropriate for October and always superior to the typical fare offered at most bars in my area. Always a treat to see this one on tap - just like ALL SA beers - much better from a keg. Great session brew for a long autumn's night around a fire.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Dated by Feb 06. Also noticed it sez Lager on the bottle. Pours a clear deep golden color with lots of carbonation, small head, but lots of lacing. Scent of sweet malts. Medium body. Very nice taste kinda sweet. Man you could drink this all day long, very nice again by Sam Adams. Highly recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

I've really been into the Marzen style beers this fall, not sure why they seem to all pass as acceptable but also blasé. This one is no exception, good at it's core but not outstanding.

First glass poured pretty aggressively, in hopes that I get some type of outstanding appearance to comment on, nope, consistent 1/16th head no lacing. Second beer I let sit for a while, again, poured aggressively but really no difference from the first.

Surprising its tastes is its most outstanding quality. Sweet and refreshing, honey notes along with a very grain-like aftertaste.

A pretty darn good tasting Oktoberfest. This is probably my last until next fall. Yeah right.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my re-evaluation of SA's Octoberfest. I'll preface this by saying that the last time I tried it, I detected some odd smells, which had some impact on how I rated the beer. In this review, the brew fares much better.

This poured a big foamy head with big bubbles that don't really last that long. As always, I'm a sucker for amber colored brews, so I'm not going to fault it's appearance, either.

Last time, the smell that I found offputting was a phenolic, plastic bandaid smell that persisted in each of three bottles. This time around, I smell the malt and no plastic. I also faintly smell something that reminds me of metal, but this is not distracting me from enjoying the malt.

The malt tastes yummy. Mmm. It is sweet but hops balance it with bitterness to prevent anything that might seem cloying. No trace of the metal smell in the taste.

Refreshing, drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours the usual amber color, slight head retention. Smell is funky old beer smell. Taste follows that, but with a hop bite. I thought fest beers were supposed to be malty, not hoppy. It seems like they left out the malt flavors here. It's not bad overall, just not very good.

4.4/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz. brown bottle, Pours a clear orange/copper color, lots of tiny bubbles spiral upwards to form a thick, tan foamy head that settles pretty fast. Not lacking any malt aromas, sweet caramel, toffee, and German malts. Medium bodied. A taste of caramel and German malts dominates this beer. Just a touch of herbal hops in the finish. Leaves a ligth nutty aftertaste. Balanced perfectly. Smooth and easy drinking. One of my favorite beers, I love this time of year.

Cheers!

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Very lovely medium amber with a two finger, creamy off-white head. There is plenty of lacing and good head retention.

Smell: There's not much other than grains in the smell, but there's nothing wrong with the smell. Average, not interesting.

Taste: Very balanced taste with mellow, very caramelly malts and a slight hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Drinkability: It's drinkable, but not very interesting and that detracts from my desire to have another.

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from brown bottle.

A: Pleasant rusty, deep amber color with a crisp white head.

S: Moderate floral tones slight caramel touch.

T: Apricot or plum sweetness with toasty elements. Almost has a bread dough aspect. Can't place the hop presence, but it's undeniably there. The carbonation is nice, but seems to cut the flavor shorter than I'd like.

M: A lot of carbonation to the mouthfeel, but otherwise pretty slight.

D: I could see this as a session beer. The clean finish begs for another drink.

Overall: Worth checking out for a seasonal beer, but not something I'd pick up every day.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

There are better Oktoberfests out there, such as New Glarus Staghorn Oktoberfest. Having said that, this beer is pretty amazing. Mmmm, the taste is truly fantastic, lots of malt with a hint of yeast flavours and a touch of hops. Throw in the price tag, which for a beer of this quality is pratically free, and I'm drinkin' this beer everyday until winter comes.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a light copper color with slightly off-white puffy head that lasted throughout the glass.Smell is of toasted malt mixed with a sweet fruitiness. Taste is very strong on toasted malt. I also detect a dark fruitiness that is enjoyable. Finished in a non-spectactular fashion with heavy malt and a light hoppiness. This is a good session beer that I enjoyed, but was not overly impressive.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

After neatly six years of finding this beer out of a bottle near revolting, I found it tapped and pleasant. Crystalline orange-amber color with a near-white frothy head that faded slowly, laced evenly and well. Just barely malting on the nose with some oat bread mixed in. Light but pleasant smell. Same on the tongue but a bit stronger with a slight hop on the finish. Very smooth but not at all thing. Well carbonated but not too much. It must've been drinkable because it was gone every time you looked for it.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%

Tried this one on a whim at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner last night, and I was impressed. Normally I use notes to complete these reviews, but today will have to go from memory. If I'm a bit less descriptive than normal, I appologize. Here's what I recall:

Appears in the glass a medium brown with slight amber hue. No solids or sediments, but a thin off-white head that fades to a pale ring around the inside of your glass.

Smell is pleasantly fruity and fairly apparent. Reminded me of a plant nursery in the springtime or a fruit tree i once climbed in.

Start is quiet tentative, but full-bodied and creamy. There's a strong malt base that immediately spreads over your tongue, giving the beer a more subtle flavor start than might have been expected from the smell.

Settles in your mouth with a generally enjoyable mouthfeel and some rich, sweet flavors. As I recall there was some caramel, cream, and lime to the taste.

Finish is bold, broad, and flavorful. This beer left me with my tastebuds in an uproar, and a long-lasting aftertaste that was about as good as any part of the beer itself. Generally speaking a good beer that I would recommend and will probably try again. To me it was just a little bit like and IPA without the incredible hop bitters.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first impression when I smelled this was it was going to be a repeat of my last review, because, again, I smelled that rusty "well" water but after the pour, it went away. Better than average for nice head this formed on top of a dark orange-brown brew. Mouth was a bit creamy and washed down a bit better than average and smell was a malty scent that seemed like some of the other octoberfest styles that I've sampled.

Taste was above average. A little bit of grainy, maltiness with a snap of ale flavor. There was just a hint of fruitiness and this was not really bitter with subdued hop profile.

So, yeah, I could see buying this and having a few. However, I don't really buy Sammy beers because of the average flavors and for the price, there are punchier beers out there. I bought this in a sampler and bought a 6 of Christien Moerleins Hefe ..see that review for that review .

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

I've had this one on-tap and bottled in the last week, but I'll review the bottle version. Both were tasty.

Pours out a deep copper orange with a fizzy white finger-and-a-half of head. Very clear with light carbonation bubbling through.

Smell is toasted malt, nuttiness, biscuits, and a light Euro hoppiness.

Flavor is also very strong on the toasted/nutty flavors, but pleasantly so. The baked-biscuits and breads flavors play off of the nuttiness particularly well, and the effect is kind of a big, earthy flavor. I like. It could use more hops, though, to balance things out. That's my only complaint.

Overall: Nice if you're looking for somethign toasty, but not as well-balanced as it could be.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)