Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,415
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

A-Pours a clear to hazy brown amber color
S- smell of hops carmal and maybe some malts
T- Starts with some hops ends with malts and citrus
M-kinda light but not too bad
D- Seems pretty drinkable i could do for a session with this

I would probably get this again sincce it is readily available and decently priced

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Not much of a head for a German-style beer but the color is good.

S: Hops, biscuits, caramel

T: Very malty. Caramel. Some hop bitterness at the very beginning, but not much after.

M: Malty. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very easy to drink.

Overall: This is a fairy good oktoberfest beer. Easy to drink, but flavorful.

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%

poured out of the bottle a deep orange, with a nice, fluffy head. moderate, creamy lacing.

not a lot of aromas, but i got it at an applebee's and they pulled it out of an ice cooler, so that's probably what i can blame the weak scents on. what i could detect was a slight, timid hop presence (noble hops, if i remember the label correctly) and a faint whiff of sugary malt.

good, medium-thick mouthfeel, although i suspect it could benefit by being a little thicker.

almost no detectable hops in the palate. lots of clean, nutty, creamy, sugary malt, in both the palate and the finish. just the smallest bit of hop flavor emerged in the finish; the strong but clean sweetness was given a touch of complexity by this late, light bitterness.

this beer wasn't very complex or challenging, but it tasted great, and there's nothing wrong with that! i kind of felt like i could drink it all day, but there are a lot of other oc(k)toberfests that i'd like to try this year.

all in all, if you can't get your hands on an authentic german/bavarian o-fest, this is a good beer to try. good, clean, sweet, and just complex enough to escape being boring. the autumn beer to reach for when you want something that's easy to drink, but isn't cripplingly dumbed-down.

cheers,

s.d.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Poured a clear, dark amber color. Nice head that quickly faded, but left nice lacing.

Nice aroma of malt with a hint of hops and fresh grain.

Nice flavor, malty sweet, and well balanced at the same time. Definitely has a fresh taste to it, a hint of grains.

Feels in the mouth, not too thick or thin, nice carbonation.

Overall a pretty good beer, definitely worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

A- dark copper beer with an off-white head; some lacing is present; minimal carbonation visible.

S- biscuit with a slight bit of cheese

T- a bit of toasted malt sweetness; faint bit of herbal hop; finishes with a light bitterness and yeast.

MF- light feel with moderate to high carbonation in the mouth. Clean.

D- Good beer for a spicy meal. I would have this again.

First off, this beer has one of the best heads I've ever experienced. Very nice consistency, long lasting; it's mouth-watering creamy goodness!

The nose is a light combination of malt, hops, and a slight fruitiness.

There is a pronounced pleasant light hoppiness all through the taste on this one. Fade is a nice combination of hops and malt.

Definitely would drink this again.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

A--Dark reddish brown in color. Tan head disappears quickly. Transparent.

S--Not a lot on the nose. Trace of malts mostly. Simple and enjoyable.

T--Very malt forward, rich with a caramel taste. A bit of spice at the end that's pretty dang good as well.

M--Medium weight, but drinks almost like a light lager. Goes down pretty easy. Just a bit of carbonation.

O--In my mind this is one of Sam Adams best beers. I look forward to it and I'll certainly have a few more this fall.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle best by January 2015

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

a- nice clear amber color, nice white head that reduces pretty quickly reduces to just a thing film, and eventually nothing

s- malty smell, rather sweet, with a hint of hops or something herbal

t- nice malty smell, very little hops. ends on the palate rather malty and the overall taste is sweet as well. definately not my ideal flavors going on, but its well done none the less.

d- easily drinkable with a decent abv, another beer that allows more than a few without much trouble.

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a orangey amber colour with an off white head that dissipates quickly and is quite fizzy in character.

Smells slightly grainy with honey, a tad bit of floral hoppiness and a little bit of an apple like smell.

Tastes is initally very malty with brown sugar, carmal malts and breadiness/biscuitiness up front. Finishes with a very slight metallic hoppy bite. The aftertaste is somewhat unpleasant, and is slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel is lightbodied but quite pleasant, carbonated nicely. Not overly thin.

Drinkability is high but given that the beer is not really impressive that is not all that much of a big deal.

Pours a dark orange-brown with a decent cream colored head. Sweet caramel apple smell. Heavy malt taste with hints of ripened plums and green apples. Almost cidery in taste with big time carbonation and a crisp finish. Nice medium body with a good strong buzz. A well crafted brew.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Pours out amber with some orange. Smells of caramel malts. Taste is of roasted malts and caramel. Body is medium and very rich in flavor. Very good for an American oktoberfest.

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

This beer has only 1 downfall. It's only available a few months out of the year. I found the flavor to be similar to their Winter Lager, but less bitter. This beer is very smooth and one could easily down a 6'er if they so choose.

I drink a lot of Sam Adams, and given a choice, I would drink this one year round.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

Probably my favorite of the Sam Adams line. This beer has a light, clear brownish-amber color with little head. The aroma is all malt, mostly caramel. The body has a load of malty goodness, again caramel, and a small but significant underlying bitterness to balance. It is easy to drink and generally enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -3%

a - pours an oranginsh-brown with a light tan head, that is fairly frothy but not long lasting. Moderate lacing.

s - Fall spices with a burnt roast background.

t - Nice balance with the malted hops and spices.

m - Low carbonization and somewhat weak bodied, but all in all not bad.

d - pretty good beer to have at your own Octoberfest

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark amber color with two finger head.

S: Very floral and sweet

T: Sweet and very malty. Very slight hint of hops.

M: Moderate mouthfeel with good carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Nice representation of a Märzen

I typically do not like malty beers but this has a nice taste. Even though it is not very hoppy it is still very good.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

The beer pours with a bubbly, beige head that disappears rather quickly. The head leaves some slight lacing around the glass, but not much, and it doesn't stick around either.

The color of this fall brew is a rich copper.

For a nose, there is a deep smell of the roasted malts. I also get a hint of caramel.

Taste echoes the nose. This beer is very heavy on the malt flavors, but there is also decent balance of hoppy bitterness at the end of the taste.

This is a very smooth beer. Octoberfest has a light carbonation, and goes down easy. This is one seasonal that you can drink multiple pints and not get sick of it, or be overpowered by gimmicky seasonal flavoring.

4.48/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks, smells, and tastes like Autumn. The perfect fall beer and for me the most eagerly anticipated each year from BBC. Picked up an extra case to enjoy well into spring - right around their 'enjoy before' date matures - and reminisce about cool fall temps. Solid, solid beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle freshness notched for January, poured into a pint glass.

Look: Copper topped by a 1 1/2 finger white head that quickly subsides to just a thin layer.

Smell: Clean pleasant smell if a little faint.

Taste: Well balanced, slight hop bitterness on the swallow.

Feel: Medium with light carbonation.

Overall: I find the taste to be quite enjoyable but I'm not detecting much of the toasty flavors described in the style.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer poured from the tap into my glass in a nice amer hue. It left a thin, off-white head that disappeared quickly (no big deal; more beer for me!).

I smelled a very floral smell to the hops, and a nice sweet malt. I picture, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, little fingers of scent beckoning me towards the beer as I lift off my feet and float towards it. Yummy!

The taste was very sweet, almost syrupy, with a nice balance of hops. My only disappointment was that it wasn't as full-bodied as some of the other Oktoberfests I've been quaffing, like the Hacker-Pschorr. Sam Adams always crafts a great beer, but their last few seasonals have been, I think, maybe "dumbed-down" just a little bit for the general masses. A little watery and not as full-bodied as the past. But hey...I ain't gonna kick it out of my fridge, you know!

Mouthfeel, again, was a bit watery, but on the up-side, it didn't leave that high-alcohol feel on my tongue that other beers of its alcohol level can sometimes do.

Drinkability: absolutely. I'm a sucker for Sammy A, so even though it wasn't everything I hoped for, I'm still going back for more!

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

ok, maybe my taste buds are shot from all of the hops I have been drinking this summer, but this beer tastes good... really goo. Maybe it was the sweetness or maybe it was the fact that I paid 12.99 for a 12 pack at the local A and P but it was tasty. A little sweet, but I think this is a decent Marzen

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my murphy's irish sout glass

A: a nice copper orangish color with an dirty off white head with loads of bubbles on the side of the glass. Pretty decent look to it.

S: Musky, metallic, clean lager smell. Also a faint sweetness deep in this one, probably have it to cold might have to report back here.

T: Starts of a bready sweet tasting with a hint of licorice in the middle then a quick transition to a nice toasty flavor that lingers on throat.

M: A wonderful medium to full mouthfeel but ends with a drying sticky toastyness all throughout my mouth.

D: Could see myself drinking a lot of these nothing to great but not at all bad, I can't help but love that fall feeling while downing these bad boys.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

This has a dark copper appearance, and held a thing ring around the glass the entire way. Not much from the smell. Some sweet malts maybe. Subtle spices on the tongue. Some maltiness with something along the lines of raisin, a touch of hop. There is a pleasant carbonation on the tongue, with a light to medium feel. This one has a good drink ability. Don't know that I would pick it up on my own accord, but if I find it at a bar I might have a couple.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok, the first O - Fest of the season and I usually do not like Sam Adam's version but I had to pick it up anyway's. Pleasantly surprised here as well.

My first bottle out of the sixer was not that cold but cool enough, the suspense was killing me and it was my first beer of the day. Upon cracking her open I did the usual one nostril to the neck of the bottle and sniffed repeatedly . Nice caramel / Tootsie Roll and clean noble hop aroma mix. Immediately noticed none of the old aromas I used to find and dislike about this brew.

The color was a beautiful Marzen deep caramel hue that fits the style perfectly. Enough said on with the flavor.

It starts out with a nice prickly carbonation that tingles the tongue in a good way and then quickly shifts to a beautiful harmony of sweet ( but not cloying at all ) caramel malts and a spicy noble hop bite that upon swallowing kind of reminds you of a Boston Lager but slightly richer in malt character then the latter. I used to REALLY DISLIKE this beers overly rich and earthy maltiness and ZERO hops to balance it out. It used to have a very dark coconutty flavor that was not really toasty but just plain Blah !!! . This years batch is balanced, refreshing and just sooo easy to drink, that how I like my O - Fests. One of my favourites is Paulaner and this is much closer in terms of mouthfeel and drinkability to some of it's German counterparts. They definitely improved and tweaked this year's batch BIG TIME. Now it's a true drinkable fest beer that used to suffer from a way to deep and dark maltiness with zero balance.

If your an O - Fest fan like myself you should for sure pick up a sixer this year. I think you will agree that the flavor and drinkability are up a few notches from years past.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)