Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,122 | Ratings: 7,342
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber-orange with thick foamy head that really lasts. Smells very dry, with notes of toast and spicy noble hops. Really don’t detect very much here. Light flavored Marzen overall. Slightly sweet caramel and toast. Minor spicy noble hop finish. Don’t really notice much biscuit, as expected for the style. Moderate carbonation, medium but thin body, fairly smooth and slightly dry finish. This may be the easiest drinking Marzen out there, but that doesn’t necessarily make it the best, as it is just slightly too light on flavor.

1.58/5  rDev -56.8%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

(bottle - 12 oz) Rich hops and malt smell. Pours a rich coppery color with a thin but inviting looking head. Gives an instant sweet taste that goes down smooth and leaves very slight aftertaste. A good darker beer. Possibly one of the better American Oktoberfests you'll find on the market. Very good.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

after a long day working and screwin around the house, I needed a beer that cost over 15 dollars a case. bought a case of samuel adams octoberfest "cold" but the first one I opened was warma s hell. so I put it on ice for a half hour and poured one into a pilsner glass. Very nice color, a little darker which I liked. Taste is very nice and it looks tempting to drink fast but definately a thicker brew. Overall i liked it and will continue buying this seasonal beer from sam adams.

My personal favorite Sam Adam's beer, too bad its a seasonal. Beautiful dark, orange color. Smell is of rich malts and spices. Taste is full, yet mellow, slightly hoppy and very malty with some nice spices coming through. Very solid all around beer, will buy it again and again as long as it's in season.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Dark reddish brown color and a nice head. Mouth feel is a hit of carbonation, but a little thin. A hint of caramel malt and yeast, but not a great smell. The taste is a little sweet and bready in the front with a slighty hopped end. A decent Octoberfest. One of Sam's best beers.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before we get started, allow me to admit that I have always held a grudge against Sam Adams up until now. This is a worthy enough beer to obtain positive feedback, despite my animosit towards the Boston brewery.

A- pretty decent looking beer here. Nice red color similar to the color of New Castl . Werewolf, with a much better head. Head isn't really much for conversation though... kindashy. Lacings not the best but what I would expect from Sam.

S- nice and sweat like an angelfood cake. Has some pumpkin in there with a lil ccinnamon and nutmeg. Really great smell for a fall beer but a wee bit counterproductive considering that this is labeled Oktoberfest. (Just because October is in the name doesn't mean we harvest crops for beer.)

T- regardless what the label says, this is a good tasting beer. Completely identicalto ssmell and very malty and nice and bready. Well balanced with some spice on the aftermath. Can't complain.

M- mouthfeel is a little heavy bodied but not too much considering the appearance. Between medium and heavy I guess. Chewy, but... just a smidge.

O- overall this beer deserves a try out. See for yourself that I AM right about this one. This will turn a micro-brewery junkies head in a heart beat.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. brown bottle with no freshness date.

Not a whole lot of head, but some nice thin lacing that retained well. Color is very nice, a lot like autumn! Good malty aroma as well, with a slight hint of must.

Lots of sweet malt. Some herbal and fruity notes linger with some gentle hop spice.

Kind of dull, but enjoyable. A safe bet for a good fall brew, although I think Boston Beer Company can do better.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mug. Dark copper with light amber highlights at the edges, plentiful streams of bubbles supporting a one finger light beige head. Fair amount of lacing present.

Delicious smells of caramel and toffee lead the nose, toasted malt and breadiness with an underlying herbal quality from the hops.

Toasty and bready malt flavor, light sweetness with the caramel and toffee again showing up, but not as expressed as in the nose. The finish is lightly bitter, herbal and with some earthiness. Nice, but not exceptional.

Light bodied, thin even, but smooth and sessionable with a nice level of carbonation. Could use a bit more substance.

A decently crafted brew that hits most of the style points for a traditional Oktoberfest. Drinks well, definitely wouldn't turn it down, but will go for a few better made fests if they are available to me.

4.85/5  rDev +32.5%

This beer pours a smooth brown color leaving a nice head. The taste is a truly tasty carmel maltiness which makes my malt loving mouth genuinely pleased. Drinkability? I've been pounding these bad boys for the past three weeks and I haven't lost my love for em yet.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: A nice deep amber colour with a decent light tan head that subsides a bit but sticks around in the glass for quite awhile.

Smell: mostly toasted malts in the smell.

Taste: Rich taste toasted malts with hints of caramel, some sweetness, and some hops in the background not too overpowering(not very strong). This one taste like fall.

Mounthfeel: A nice fairly smooth feel, more carbonation than I expected, hard to determine weather thats a plus or a minus on this one, so I'll go with neutral.

Drinkablility: Fairly drinkable, taste like fall to me, smooth, easy to drink a few, and can serve as a good fall staple.

3.22/5  rDev -12%

A- Really pleasant burnt orange color that I should think goes with fall beer. Decent head as welll, not too much, stays around long enough.

S- Not a fan. To me all the Sam Adams beers smell the same, it's all the hops, not a fan of the really BEER smell.

T- Another lighter beer you won't see me review very often, but I was in the mood for a fall beer. It does have a pleasant mild taste, some nice herbal notes as well.

M- Average, a good medium between smoothness and a mouthful of grain, nothing to write home over.

D- Pretty good if you feel like a fall beer, and it's just September. It does have some drinkability, not something that I would reach for just anytime, but it has a place in the fridge from Sept-Nov

2.74/5  rDev -25.1%

This beer conjures images of being at the pumpkin patch on a hayride.Poured with all but a band of bubbly foam left in the glass. Smells like sweet burnt caramel with a sprinkling of brown sugar, looks like watery faux maple syrup. Overly sweet, yet, the beer is quite smooth with a brown sugar hit at the end.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

This is one of the few Sam Adams that I have tried that I've rated above average to date. It has a great appearance and a great deep complex favor that actually appealed to me. It pours with a 3 finger head straight down the middle of the glass. A nice dark appearance in the glass. Overall one of their better offerings in my book and I could drink a few in one sitting.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful burnt-orange color, half-an-inch of creamy head

S - Not much on the smell . . .

T - Malty, caramel, very smooth; Little carbonation and not very bitter or hoppy at all

M - Smooth, creamy, and very drinkable!

O - This is a Fall staple for me. Almost always a six-pack in my fridge in the fall and winter months. Most places around here (IA) have it on tap too, so it's a good one to get used to. May be a little too early for it's tastes (late-August) but couldn't resist once I saw it in the liquor store. One of my all-time favorites.

3.12/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A hearty taste, light on the caramel and a good level of spices, fades in slow and hangs around just enough to get you wanting more.

Taste Rating in Words: Its the desert after a large meal, something you don't need or even want but the few bites you eat seem to hit a spot you didn't know you had.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I'm looking at my score and I understand it may at first glance appear too high, but keep in mind that an extra .5/1 point for each category is a big difference to me when reviewing beers, so take that for what it's worth. On to the review.

Pours a nice dark copper with a white head that doesn't stay for very long.

Lot's of bready, caramel and slight honey notes hit the nose. A very pleasant aroma that I really dig.

A sweet caramel/honey malt comes through at first sip, but then the spicy/herbal noble hops come through that help keep the finish from being overall too sweet. Really love the malty flavors.

Body is light-medium, with a finish that is just slightly on the dry side.

This beer is very refreshing, and the malts while semi-complex are never overbearing. It's a very flavorful session beer that in my honest opinion has a better overall flavor compared to Boston Brewery's regular Boston Lager. I wish this was year round.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The ABV is lower than they could have made it because the flavor is so full.
Its an awesome blend of malt and hops and really is the perfect flavor to embody the fall season.
Its not my favorite seasonal but it is definitely my favorite octoberfest so far.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

I aquired this beer from a co-worker who recieved the Sam Adams Winter variety pack, and well I guess he didn't like it as he gave me most of them.

After drinking several, I admit that most didn't sit well with me, however this one did. I kind of like it.

Appearance ~ I drank it out of a bottle, so I really have no clue. Holding it up to a window, it looks dark, but I can see through it. I'm going to give it a three because I'm too lazy to get up and pour it into a glass.

Smell ~ Hmmmm... come to think of it, this probably isn't a fair review for me either as I have a bit of congestion... It smells sweet, I think of cherries when I sniff.

Taste ~ This is where the OctoberFest excels when compared to the other beers in the variety pack. (note - I said when compared to other beers in the variety pack). The word of caution is because I can't quite decide if I think the taste is above average. I think I sometimes confuse "taste" with "mouthfeel". I'm going to give it a 3.5.

Mouthfeel ~ this I like,it's crisp, but not too crisp, giving it a slight silky smoothness that coats your mouth but rinses out quickly. This I like. 4

Overall ~ for me, this is an above average Sam Adams beer, as I'm typically not a fan of their offerings, but it's not a beer I would go out and purchase. So I got to say it's just average.

Sorry...

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Smell- sweet, malt aroma

Taste- malty, smooth

Mouth- medium- not too dense, not too light

Overall- excellent overall. One of the beat beers around and one of the best examples of an Octoberfest. I've had several different octoberfest beers and this is the best.

I look forward to it every year.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

It's got a nice orange color and it has a bit of a pumpkin scent to it. I think it was supposed to taste like Pumpkin but I could not taste it. It tasted a lot like the Samuel Adams Brown Ale which I also love. It's a great beer overall just not what I was picturing.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic

A-pours a nice golden brown with a 1 finger frothy tan head, not much lacing.

S-biscuity, malts and barley are present as are spices and faint hops. Doesnt really surprise or overjoy me here, just a nice aroma.

T-Very nicely balanced with a sweet and malty body and a crisp and dry bitter hoppiness near the finish, its complex yet simple at the same time, also quite refreshing and not heavy on the pallete or stomach which makes it a good session beer but also a good beer to have with a meal.

M-A little lighter than id like for a malt beer meant for fall but still enough of a body there to really grab onto. a fair amount of carbonation but its just the right amount.

D-Overall a great beer to enjoy if you just want one with your meal or to have more if youre out at a nice pub with some friends. Its smooth, tasty and refreshing.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Type: Oktoberfest/ Lager
Color: Amber
Body: Lightly carbonated
Head: Heavy white head. Lingers for some time. Excellent lacing.
Taste: For a fall beer is it light but still has a great flavor. Almost tastes like popcorn strangely enough.
Aroma: The smell of fall is in the air! You can smell the spices and the caramel and toffee that were used in the brewing process.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

A-Appearance is a nice rich copper with very little head that basically disappeared after I poured it. No lacing what so ever.
S-There is a subtle spiciness, probably from the hops, that can be detected with hints of maltball.
T&M-As for taste and feel, I must say it goes down smooth, rather syrupy-like or even molasses-like. Remaining flavors after one takes a sip remain around the edge of the tongue as opposed to darker, stronger beers, which can overwhelm the tastebuds and attack the back of the throat.
D-Sam Adams Octoberfest is a very drinkable beer with a nice toasty finish. Not overly strong based on the mild hops, which allows one to get through a six pack. Though for some, the malt flavor may be a drawback after a couple of beers. After a few, it may come across as fairly heavy. Nevertheless, it is one of the better Octoberfests for the price in my opinion, granted I got this bottle from a buddy of mine. Apparently, Sam Adams Octoberfest is bought up pretty fast in my area, just another testament to its own drinkability.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

One of my friends gave me a bottle to try, while we were lounging around in the pool. The beer had a great Octoberfest taste to it and it was an enjoyable beer to drink. I think I will buy it in the future.

The beer was dark brown in color, and was not over carbonated. It smelled and tasted really good. I recommend this beer.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)