Samuel Adams Summer Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Summer AleSamuel Adams Summer Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

An American Wheat, brewed with malted wheat, lemon zest and grains of paradise - a rare pepper from Africa first used as a brewing spice in the 13th Century to create a crisp and spicy flavor and body.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-09-2001

Ratings: 5,560 |  Reviews: 1,680

While I do not like hops much, if at all, I understand they are necessary for beer. With that, I find it typical American thinking that if a little hops is good - tons of hops MUST be "better". And, so, we have the American craft beer scene. Too many with too much hops. Malt anyone???? FORBIDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask Budweiser, they have dropped grains altogether and use rice. It makes a wonderfully NOTHING beer taste. At least, they think, people buy it. No, not so much any more...........

With all of that, I have been trying more beers that have a lot of hops, just to expand my taste spectrum. Perhaps, I have been too "intolerant" and am a "hater" of hops. It couldnt be that I just prefer malts??? Nope, I am a "hater". A nod to the goofy, liberal, political, moronic thinking that captivates our local, state and fed govts.

So, I tried this Sam Adams ale. Why? Because Adams is known for their light editions of most beers. Like Bud, they appear to believe that making a beer that tastes like a beer is "bad". They prefer to water it down so that any taste is gone. I figured, I may as well try a watered down version, rather than a HOPFEST of a beer that floors me with its bitterness.

This beer had a decent aroma. Its color was beer-like. Its taste was like lemon furniture polish. Sorry, that is a bit strong, but the subtle- yet distinct- lemon taste reminded me, CLEARLY, of what polish smells like. Other than that? It wasnt too bad. I forgot it is a wheat ale. It tastes almost like nothing. I usually do not like wheat, but this one tasted like nothing. No real wheat aroma, taste or aftertaste. Tip your hat to BUD, Samuel, you have arrived at the "do not offend customers with taste" zone. Bland, tasteless and water like - that is the goal???

I will not buy this again.

Repulsive and shamelessly over priced

1.12/5  rDev -66.8%

This beer smells like male cat urine. I had a male cat that used to urinate behind the TV and the aroma from this beer smells almost exactly like it. Sorry Sam, but this beer doesn't bode well in the summer heat especially when it smells like I am drinking male cat PP.

1.12/5  rDev -66.8%

Tasted like lemon dish soap in 2010. I had it on tap first thought I got a glass that was not rinsed well. Had it in a bottle recently after that, same disgusting taste.
I dared to take a sip this years batch and it still tastes like lemon dish soap!
Way to go Jim, keep putting out horrible beer!

1.18/5  rDev -65%

12oz into SA Perfect Pint
Overpriced 6er at LCBO for summer promotion.

A- Clear rich banana/straw pour. Half finger head disappears in the bat of an eye, lacing is minimal.

S- Oh goodness where to begin? Lemon rind, grass, dirty socks, chemical cleaner and throat lozenges.

T- Please taste better than it smells. Please taste better than it smells... Nope grass, lemon pledge, faint medicinal. Tastes like a cheap air freshener would taste.

M- Thin watery feeling to it. Carbonation is there but not enough to save the feeling of this beer.

WOW this beer is a train wreck IMO. I had to buy the 6er (Ontario only sells 6, 12 and 24. Unless otherwise noted) and this thankfully was my last. I wanted to give it a chance. I wanted to like it. I haven't had a bad SA yet. But my god this was an abomination... I feel like I should scrub my mouth out with a dirty toilet brush to get the taste out...

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

1.33/5  rDev -60.5%

This is the one you see in those cool commercials, with the special info on ingredients. Great Brewery, great commercial ... terrible beer... for me anyway!

I personaly do not like citrusy beers ... I love piney, bitter, sour, and extra hopped beers... but not citrus. My butt lips puckered the next day after drinking this! Not cool.

1.42/5  rDev -57.9%

On-tap at Red Mesa Cantina

A - Pours a pale gold with a good head and lace.

S - It smells unpleasantly perfumed and chemical-y.

T - The flavor is not much better, the perfume is transformed into a bad spiciness that is quite is quite similar to Raid bug spray.

M - Limp.

D - There are a lot of bad beers in the style, but this one is really horrid.

1.44/5  rDev -57.3%

I'm a huge Sam Adams fan but this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Drink Oberon instead.

Samuel Adams Summer Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)