Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager
Score:
Ranked #29,296
3.76 | pDev: 13.83%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager
Notes: Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.
Reviews: 2,792 | Ratings: 9,626
3.48/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A decent lager, though it lacks any kind of great distinction. It beats Coors or Heineken any day, though it's not really better than Longboard or Brooklyn Lager (other mass market lagers).

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

The granddaddy of craft beer. Clear light amber color. Biscuity dry smell. Thin dissapating head. Decent lacing. Has a malty, caramel, lemony, biscuit flavor with a nice light hop balance. Every place that sells or serves beer should at least offer this. But unfortunately, they don't. They are too busy selling Bud Light to know a decent beer.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Finally tried this brew the other day for the first time. I now see what the hype was all about! Not a typical American lager at all. 5% abv and actually has flavor. You can actually taste the partial bitterness but in the same token it isn’t at all overwhelming. This is a really good brew to start with when you begin to indulge in the craft beer world!

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

24 ounce can purchased warm for $2.49. Gold/amber color, off white soapy head. Nose is toffee, caramel malts, hops. Not too much. I'm also getting some dates, raisin, and figs. Interesting. It smells like a beefed Yuengling lager. Taste follows the nose. I'm getting dark fruits. Unusual for a lager. This falls more in line with a Helles lager. Caramel malts are what dominate here. No adjunct qualities at all. Medium mouthfeel with good levels of carb. This is a go-to at places like TGIF, Applebee's, etc. This is a very good lager. Much better than Brooklyns lager or others similar. It drinks more like a an Irish red. I will purchase again, next time in bottles to see if there are any differences in taste, fell, etc.

4.14/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A respectable lager, especially at places where only the marco lagers are served. If you are at a place like that, you will be grateful they have boston lager. Often times a gateway beer to better craft beers, this beer still has it's place, especially due to it's ubiquity. I like to have this beer during game day for football

4.78/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: clear golden color with nice head and lace
S: initial mild hops front end with sweet malt finish
T: follows smell closely
F: smooth and silky going down
O: an excellent lager, very drinkable

One of the better lagers out there. Call me sentimental but I like to drink from the bottle. However this was poured from a 16oz can. Syrupy color, minimal head with noticeable lacing. Smells a bit sweet and toasty. Taste does not disappoint. Some hints of caramel and banana. Feel is awesomely balanced. Overall a satisfying beer and one I will keep returning to.

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A perfectly reasonable lager, but not quite as unique as I may have liked. Malty nose, wheaty feel, and among the heavier of its peers. I do think it's a bit too sweet at least for what I expected but I do love the nose to this guy.

4.7/5  rDev +25%

It's true to the style.However,when brlow 10c ,it does taste like chech pilsner,made in USA.I do prefer austrian top vienna lagers to this one.
Once you become friend with thos beer, you will love it.
Alcohol is 4.8%,not 5%as in old days...

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a 120z. bottle poured into a Samuel Smith glass. It pours a very nice, clear amber with a thin layer of foam that stay and stays. The beer is very clear and easy to watch the medium carbonation.
The aroma is malty, yeast, or bready, it smells fresh!
The flavor is a little sweet, maybe caramel, bready, with a bit of a bitter finish, not bad. The bitter finish is short lived.
The feel leans slightly to the creamy side, with a tingle from the carbonation.
This beer is fine, is leans a bit more to the bitter side than what I was hoping for. I will enjoy this sixer!

4.21/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color with a white head that moderately lingers.
Aroma: Strong roasty aromas of caramel, toffee, cherry, cinnamon, and orange citrus.
Taste: Great flavors of sweet, apple baked bread, cinnamon, caramel, and toffee. Malts really drive the show here. The citrus is lost. It reminds me of the icing on a cinnamon roll. Such great toffee, cinnamon and caramel flavors. Sort of similar to a California Common with a stronger body.
Feel: Medium bodied. Sweet and malt, but not heavy. Light enough and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden.

Overall: This is an excellent lager. Not the most accurate Vienna lager, but unique and so great in it's own regard. The cinnamon, toffee, and caramel flavors are showcased into a sweet and yet drinkable lager. It pushes the bounds between what those two descritions mean. It has such great flavors, but it so easy-drinking and I think on a cold-winter night I can see why this is the Boston lager.

1.34/5  rDev -64.4%

I got this as a gift. I haven't had a Samuel Adams since college.

Poured into a 12 ounce bar glass. Low carbonation. Light lacing. Bready smell. Tastes the same. Like a loaf of bread.

I forgot how truly awful Samuel Adams's Boston Lager was. I'd rather have a refreshing Miller Lite than this. This makes me feel like I've eaten twelve pizzas. Talk about bloat.

2.36/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I tasted and thoroughly enjoyed this beer on tap several times over the years and numerous bottles. My memory of it since the late '80s was caramel sweet and easy drinking with just a hint if any of hops. Unfortunately, the recipe has been drastically altered to appease the delirium of the over-hopped craze of the IPA crowd of the new millenia and I just burp up hop gas.
I just dropped $230 on a keg of it based on what I knew it to be...something's changed and I just wasted a pretty penny on something I nearly detest now. Way too hopped up and bitter. The only thing that will let me choke it down now is once the anesthetic value of 5% abv kicks in and numbs the taste buds. Sad day for my palate and wallet.

Exeptional lager in a class of its own!
This beer is the one craft brew I grew up hearing so much about. Now I see why its a pioneer of craft Beer. I really cant say a whole lot about the label, other than the fact it says Boston Lager. By now, Sam Adams could really give a damn about the presentation because of it notoriety among beer lovers. The presentation of the bottle is fair enough. The most important thing is whats inside. This gold liquid is by far a top contender for Lagers in the USA. This lager could easily hold its own against the likes of pilsner Urquell, weihnstephaner and many imports. The aroma is classic lager. Sweetness on the nose with the lightest hint of honey and brown sugar. Deeply bready like fresh whole wheat. The taste is down right awesome. Big upfront piney, grassy european hop with a rich and balanced sweetness. The middle has depth and charicter of malt. Dark whole wheat bread notes along with a honey and brown sugar complexity. The finish is clean, crisp and mildly hopy. Well balanced on all notes and really satisfying. The feel is rich, and medium in the body with mild creamy carbonation. I am ashamed I have taken so long to try this wonderful beer. Its very good!

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

Started drinking this in the mid 80s when they used to brew this in Pittsburgh. Was good then and is still good now. My go to beer at TGI Fridays, or any chain restaurant. One of the originals.

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Robust amber color, off white head that did dissipate with fair amount of lacing. Flavor leans toward hop side, but not overly bitter. Full bodied texture good for nursing for an hour or slamming Sammy one after another. Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

A – Appearance (color): transparent honey/ amber hue containing a mild to moderate level of carbonation. Displays average head retention, amounting to a 1 finger head utilizing a non-aggressive pour. Head dissipates throughout consumption. Lacing is present, though minimal.

S – Grains and hops prevail on the nose. Subtle hints of lemon zest or citrus are apparent, as are nutty aspects.

T – Well rounded. This beer has a unique taste. It is not bitter as an IPA would be, though it is bitter. It is not subdued in the manner most American macros are, though it is not overpowering as many comparable craft brews are.

M - It finishes somewhat clean, though it lingers slightly. I would consider it a dry finish.

D – I wouldn't select this beer following an afternoon mowing the lawn during summer. I wouldn't sip this beer poolside. I wouldn't think “Boston Lager” after a hard days work. Though, this beer does have its place. Maybe during a chilly night at a cozy pub. Maybe if I felt like something a little more substantial after a hardy stew. Maybe if I just felt like it fit the occasion.

Though this review was a long time coming, I can't ignore the standard I've set with my other reviews. While this beer does hold a special place in my heart as far as American Macros go (Hello, High Life!), there's no bending the rules. It's not a mediocre beer by any means, neither is it the cat's meow.

With that being said, it's something you have to try. I doubt you'll regret it.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Clear apple-juice-like light amber with 1.5 finger head with big bubbles. Pleasant smell of malt, toast, some spicy, floral hops. Smells fairly sweet. The toastiness is especially strong in the flavor, where it blends nicely with the slight bitterness, spiciness, and sweetness, and lingers in the aftertaste. There's a hint of bubblegum fruitiness. Very smooth, of course, and above all just incredibly well balanced.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice amber colour, with a head that slowly fades into the tasty beer.

Aroma is grainy, taste follows with sweetness and a nice balance of hops. Finish is smooth and just a tad fizzy. Delicious

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a classic and you can not go wrong by ordering it any time of the year. It is extremely well balanced between sweetness and spice. Would love to visit Boston someday because I have heard it is incredibly at the brewery. However if I did that I doubt I would be able to have the Boston Lager (or any other of their beers I tried there) ever again. It would most likely just be a major letdown.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

It's a classic for a reason. It's not a beer that's trying too hard to be something it's not, and I keep it on hand at all times.

Jim Koch can explain it better than I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5a_iq4F6Pw

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a quintessential lager with a creamy head & some nice lacing. Feels serenely drinkable & refreshing, but light, so before I knew it I was down to the last forth of my glass. Amber straw color, it has as I remembered it a malty taste. Slightly bitter, it is the kind of beer I would like to drink at a baseball game on a balmy summer evening. This is a beer that works well to balance out some of the higher ABV double IPAs & stouts, to refresh the palate, & remind one what a good beer tastes like. Mine was cold down to the last drop. Cheers friends!

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%

Aroma: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and Tettnanger hops provide floral and herbal aromas. Pale malts give it a characteristic bready aroma.
Appearance: Clean lager profile with added Caramel 60 malt gives it a clear, amber color. Head is off-white and mousse-like, with excellent retention.
Flavor: Hint of mild herbs. Bready and medium-low sweetness. Restrained bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, semi-dry with a medium palate carbonation. Balanced, medium length finish.
Bottom line: Samuel Adams Boston Lager nicely checks the style boxes. They have produced an excellent representation of Vienna Lager that is pleasant and enjoyable to drink. I recommend it for a place in your fridge.

3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Now this is a well balanced brew. Has a nice malt backbone and the flavor profile transitions from lemon-zest hops to malt to sweet with an aftertaste of all three. Everything is balanced and well done. Nothing earth shattering or fancy in the flavor, but well balanced and nuanced. Great mouth-feel too.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Pale amber color, brilliantly clear. Pours a tightly bubbled white head with good retention.

Delicate noble hop aroma, some caramel sweetness, but overall just a nice, clean nose.

Nice mix of malty sweet and some spicy hop notes early. Overall very well balanced, and has a mix of sweetness and hop bitterness into the finish. Ultimately finishes slightly bitter.

Medium body and carbonation. Very unobtrusive mouthfeel.

Was stunned to realize that for all of the times I'd consumed this beer over the last 20+ years, I'd never reviewed it here. Always a bit surprised by the assertiveness of the hops in the finish. Is a classic for a reason, and definitely a beer that would be easy to put down in volume. A crushable beer that dates to a time before that term was in fashion!

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 85 out of 100 with 9626 ratings