Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Ratings: 9,133 |  Reviews: 2,696

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

What a pleasant Christmas surprise! A particularly good batch of Sam Adams in the seasonal packs is great, and this one reminded me of why I originally liked the Boston Lager years ago when I first tried it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a red Solo cup (because all my good glassware in the wash after Christmas). Don't like it? Sue me.

A: Rich dark gold/amber, with a big pillowy white head that hung around for a little bit before leaving just a trace over the surface. Lacing is great, even in a plastic cup.

S: Light, sweet malts with just a trace of grapefruit-y hops. A little underwhelming in the nose, sadly, though this may be my lack of proper glassware. Multiple sniffs over decreasing beer volume allowed more room for nose to hang around when cup is partially tilted.

T: This is what was such a pleasant surprise. One of the more complex bottles of Boston Lager it's easy to taste some not overtly sweet malt balanced by nice juicy citrus-y hops. Bitterness is minimal, showing up just before the swallow and lingering amid a bit of sweetness and some piney funk.

M: A little too harsh on the carbonation this time around, the bubbles immediately assault your tongue with sharp tingling. After the pinpricks reside you're left with a pleasantly robust and rich body and a mild astringency that makes you want to take another sip, but it's not mouth-drying.

O: I'm pretty happy with this current batch of the Boston Lager, I have to try it fresh on draught to see if the carbonation issue is resolved, and if the flavor is any fresher, but by and by this is a very satisfying brew.

3.81/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz from the seasonal package. Haven't had one of these in a while, but it is one of those beers I can always depend on at a restaurant to be decent, if not exciting. Also a fantastic introduction beer for "good" beer from junk lagers.

Appearance: "Almost amber" lager that keeps a decent head for what it is and a nice lacing. Always looks good, a very dependable beer.

Smell: This bottle doesn't give me much, sadly. Usually pick up a nice balanced smell with malts edging everything else a tiny bit.

Taste: Always going to be the best aspect of this beer. Nice malts with a very good subtle hoppiness added. This finishes with a delicious slight spiciness that I feel like is the signature of the beer. Just a very solid, dependable beer when it comes to flavor, and still one of the best beers Samuel Adams makes.

Mouthfeel: This is probably always where Sam is going to hurt me. This is far more carbonated than it has to be in bottle form. This is usually better on draft. Body is nice medium and it goes down smooth though.

One of the most dependably decent beers you can get at a restaurant, and a beer I will always be grateful for having existed. Easy to drink a bunch, but also nice as a single. One thing though, wish they'd go back to the more regal look they had on their bottles a few years ago over this new more theatrical look.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Good Ole Sam Adams Boston Lager! Haven't had it since joining BA and can't wait to "analyze" a great friend.

Poured a clear copper color with a fizzy inch high head. Significant lacing and a film of bubbles stayed throughout.

I detect a whiff of malt and even a bit of orchard fruit. A tinge of metal at the end, the scent is nice but not overly aromatic.

The taste is great, smooth maltiness, very little bitterness. There's a hint of sweetness, maybe honey in the end. This is not as bold as I remember but that may be due to my age and palate experience.

Good Ole Sam Adams didn't disappoint.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hands down my go to beer for everyday use. No mater the time of year, this beer is so well balanced you cannot go wrong.

I generally drink this poured from the bottle to my Sam Adams glass. Nice, rich golden amber color with a fizzy half inch or so head.

Smells like awesomness wrapped in bacon. Ok, so I don't have one currently in front of me to give a decent smell (I'll come back when I do).

Taste is sort of like Maxwell House, "good to the last drop". The balance of ingredients is beautiful, really maxing out the limits of what I've come to know as a lager.

Mouthfeel is again a beautiful balance of thickness and carbonation. Doesn't weigh you down, goes well with almost everything.

Overall this beer is what I get when in doubt. I will never be disappointed with choosing it.

Note: I will revisit this review when I have a fresh one poured in front of me to do it more justice.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)