Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Reviews: 2,645 | Ratings: 8,935
3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear, pale bronze color with a finger of dense white head. Clean, crisp aroma and taste with a lightly toasted caramel malt profile. Slightly sweet, but pretty well balanced by modest hop bitterness, so as to leave a somewhat dry finish. Light to medium bodied. A fine go-to lager when nuthin sexier is available.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

L --Crystal clear, vibrant, pale orange hue with moderate effervescence. Moderate pour produces a three finger white head that sticks around. Moderate lacing
S -- Very clean and mild. Grains, hops, some fruity esters
T -- Similar in character to smell. Good balance of hops and malts
F -- Robust upfront with a nice, tapering finish. Refreshing
O -- A classic

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper, dark orange color with foamy white head.
S: Smells like sweet roasted coffee.
T: Very well balanced blend of sweet malts, toasted coffee notes, and the slightest underlying hops.
M: Medium bodied, though sessionable compared to many other darker lagers.
O: Pretty good beer that I was pleasantly surprised with. I drank this a long time ago and hated it, now I can see this being my go-to winter beer. Balanced flavor profile with a warm center makes it a good easily-available choice for the winter months.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

L: Copper or deep gold darker than I remembered. I poured half into a shaker then poured hard the last half to get a good head that left some lacing.
S: herbal hops with some bready malt/grain
F: I really liked the level of carbonation not to harsh but just right. I found it had a moderate mouth feel.
T: Waves of flavor wash over the tongue. the grains with just a bit of sweetness in the middle that is pushed back buy a considerable wave of herbal almost pine like hop that fades to a lingering dry finish. Easy to see why its a classic.
O: I haven't had one in a year or two and still it is a solid full flavor beer. Not my fave but a very respectable offering. The balance and layers of flavors are what will bring me back.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a pretty good beer with a strong hops and wheat taste. It has a medium acidity level and is full-bodied. It is the first beer I was ever able to fully drink and say that I somewhat enjoyed (ca. mid-September 2016).

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this lager. Pours a rich golden color with a healthy head and lacing. Nice subtle aroma. Has a slight hoppy, bitter and mostly malty taste. Definitely not your average lager.

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured it in a mug. Let's gulp it down! Haven't had one of these in a minute. Brew's dark amber in color, with an inch of off-white head. Some lively carbonation. Fairly clear as far as I can tell.

Aroma is mostly of toasty-grainy malt, with some herbal and spicy hop notes floating around as well.

Clean lager profile. Toasty malt and herbal hops in balance. Decent-sized bitterness, mostly on the end.

Medium body. Somewhat crisp with a softer finish that helps leave a nice malty-sweet aftertaste to accompany that tongue-tapping bitterness. A nice one to glug.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Golden brown heavenly look. Nice bubbles/lacing. Smells light malt and balanced hop. Pretty much the "perfect balance of hops and malt". The carb is precise. So consistent.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Freshness notch November 2016.

Appearance: Two finger head that quickly dissipates into a soapy residue. Color is dark yellow to coppery.

Smell: Good clean beer.

Taste: Very well balanced, clean, slight bitterness.

Feel: Medium body with a little zip to it.

Overall: One of, if not the best of the "mass produced" lagers.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

I have a soft spot for this beer it started me into the world of craft beer just like a lot of other people I'm sure . Still one of my favorites and go to beers.

I now live in Seattle and I have to say I may be biased, because I am sick to death of over hopped Pacific Northwest crap. Since moving here I have really enjoyed being able to pick up a beer that is complex, but also well balance. I don't need to feel like I'm being punched in the face with hops and floral / citrus / pine or whatever else notes every time I drink a beer.

And for all those people saying this beer isn't hoppy or is too light, SA Boston Lager has 31 IBU's. The point at which the human palette can no longer detect any flavor difference is around 38-40 IBUs.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer was better than I expected based on the fact that it's a mass produced lager from a big brewery. It wasn't my normal style preference as I tend to go for IPAs, porters & stouts, but this was a good beer nonetheless. It had no real hop flavour to speak of but had a nice full malty flavour with full smooth mouthfeel and no off/adjunct flavour even though I enjoyed it on a warm summer day a few degrees above fridge temperature. The bready flavours which came out as it warmed were not complex at all but were pleasant all the same.

Nice well rounded flavor. One of the first beers I had. Quite carbonated, out of a can.
Smells good, tastes like a lager should, not as strong as an Ale, but clean, slightly bitter bite, a bit of bread like sweetness, (It has been a bit since i had it). Hoppy, but mild, and slightly bitter taste that continues into a aftertaste, with a nice finish. It is a good beer, canned or bottled. Drink up!

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%

12 ounce bottle to wine glass
A: amber clear, small white foam
A: nose: grains
Taste: low bitterness, long bitter finish, bitter aftertaste
M/F: medium carbonation
OA: very good lager ok to repeat
Drank: 9/14/2016 10:15 PM

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had heard so much about Sam Adams that sampling it was essential. This lager had a definite rich hops flavor; however, it was to be expected based on the TV marketing of the beer. It is my understanding that the hops give lagers a sweet taste and this one is no different. The look was very crisp and orange with surprising lacing with respectable amount of foam. As I drank the bottle, never did I feel like it lost its flavor or its crispness. I will say that the overpowering sweet flavor, I can see how somebody would not prefer it, but it did not seem too much for me. A good Friday night kick back kind of beer for me.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A beer with some presents grain and malty taste that sticks around.

Taste Rating in Words: It's the guy at the party no one's sure they know, no one invited, and you aren't convinced you want them there.

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This classic lager pours a bright clear amber color with
a moderate head of white foam that subsides to a thick ring, thin pool, and light lacing.
Nose of caramel malts, light breaded malts, spicy hops, and light herbal hop notes. Flavors
exceed the nose with caramel malts and light breaded malt notes on the front and sides, subtle
herbal notes hit nicely on the middle and fade into a floral hop note that is perfect for this classic
brew. Nice mouth feel, medium carbonation, and a lightly herbal bitter hop note on the aftertaste.

I still taste the flavors I remember, but the look has changed a touch with the now faster dissipating
head, and while this is not a problem I remember distinctly putting the cap atop the foam to many
peoples surprise and then taking a drink and it was still there. I have many fond memories of getting
this brew and cherishing it back when it was a rarity to find in the Cincy area prior to them brewing
it here. That said, the flavors are still present and I am reminded of how much I appreciated it on the
brew landscape when the best you could get was Sam Smith and Lowenbrau.

Cheers SA, keep up the good work....and PLEASE bring back the foam!

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%

This is a light, easy drinking beer with slightly more flavor than than typical microbrew lagers, so people new to drinking think it's a craft beer. It's not, it's a mass market corporate schill. Still it's alright, if you like light beers. Slightly more spicy and warm than mass lager piss water, but still not good. I appreciate that they are a gateway to better beer for newbies, but don't stop here. In a few years you will learn that this ain't really very good.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

First beer review. We'll see how this goes.

L: Light foamy head that dissipated quickly. Very clear amber color.

S: Floral notes. Pleasant smell but not very powerful.

T: Initially a little bit of bite. From the carbonation maybe? Not sure. Like I said I'm a little new at this. Slight hoppy notes, but not overpowering. A bit of caramel in the finish.

F: A little bit of carbonation and bite at the beginning and then a pretty smooth mouthfeel.

O: Nothing bold and exciting about this beer, but nothing terrible about it either. Pretty good neutral flavored beer that most beer drinkers should be able to enjoy.

1.7/5  rDev -55.3%

I give this beer a point because it looks nice. The beer tastes like sugar water that was brewed with a batch of rusty pennies. I hate the hops in this beer. Way too metallic to enjoy. This stuff is too overwhelming for me. It's really overrated and proof that a pile of cash can net you wonderful publicity.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

The Budweiser of craft beers....doesn't offend anyone, doesn't impress, but still delivers....go with one of these for the train ride home....old reliable...

Look: Light, clear Amber. Nice big off white head and lacing
Smell: nice malt sweetness and a bit of hop and spice.
Taste: much like the nose. Not something I seek out but not a bad brew at all.

2.34/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tastes like a bad US IPA, and is pretty gross overall. Every couple of years, for whatever reason I have one of these (this time because I was on a plane and the pickings were slim) and then immediately kick myself in the pants for buying one. Sorry.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a fairly large head that thins out. Smells strongly of hopps and a little malt, with the taste to follow. Hopps taste are very strong but not overpowering. Smooth finish with a great after taste. Good beer.

4.95/5  rDev +30.3%

IMHO as perfect as beer gets. I'm a fan of rich lagers and IPAs. I enjoy a number of complex IPAs but I have kept coming back to Sam Adams Boston Lager for what tastes to me like a perfect glass of beer. This is a gateway beer for a lot of people who make the jump from Bud or Coors into craft beers - it's an impressive beer on its own. Full hops sweet not bitter rich not heavy. Pretty easy to drink 3 or 4 of these.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)