Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Reviews: 2,666 | Ratings: 9,025
4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Love Boston Lager. My new favorite everyday drinker (and I'm usually into Stouts) BL is every bit as good as any micro/'craft' brew - but it's available everywhere, it's consistent, and it's supermarket priced. What more do you want? We live in a wine-making area, and in the past 10 yrs or so we've had an influx craft distilleries, meaderies, hard cider producers, and most recently- an onslaught of "craft brewers". Now this is all great stuff for the local tourist economy, but unfortunately most of the beers being produced are, in a word, awful. Lots of Uber-trendy hop-bombs... joined by the crazy "dump every dried spice/flower/fruit/nut/herb under the sun in the brew" - make crazy labels, and sell it as 'hand-crafted' for $4/bottle at Wegman's. Boston Lager is the remedy for all of that nonsense. It's truly a premium product being sold at the same price point as Genny, Bud, and Miller - but it's so much more complex and as so many others have already stated - balanced. I love the amber color, the just-right bitterness and lingering malty/yeasty-sweet finish... at first flavor hits you with some aromatics (don't really know what's in there - sorry I should have researched this a little better) but is very satisfying without being over-the-top in any one area. My only sub-4 score would be the nose... not even a complaint, more of a statement since all of this is 100% subjective but to me the nose doesn't accurately reflect that first sip. Honestly - forget the 4-stars, I'd give it 5 stars but that has to be reserved for those once-in-a-great-while jaw-droppers. PS - it is quite "Ale-ey" if you taste out of the bottle but don't look at it... it is crystal clear like a good lager but does have ale qualities. Maybe rename Boston LagerAle? LOL

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Classic, everyday beer that's perfect for dive bars. Amber with a red hue, good carbonation, sweet malts, and a fruity finish. A very nice balance. Out of all beers, probably the one I've had the most. I originally came here expecting people would snub it and intending to bump it up, but it's rated pretty fairly.

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bought a 12-pk on sale to finally try out America's "macro-craft" beer.

L - Pours a penny-copper red with a thick three fingers of off-white head that leaves a light lacing throughout.

S - Sweet caramel, bready malt, a touch of piney hops.

T - Like the smell, a balance of bitter and sweet with some spice from the hops. The sticky caramel flavor gives way to some bitter, spicy hops but is very balanced. Not strong in either direction.

F - Light to medium bodied, good amount of carbonation with a soft, dry finish. Very drinkable and balanced.

O - This is a beer that prides itself on balance. It's definitely a good run-of-the-mill beer if you want something with a little more "oomph" than a Bud Light, but doesn't sit as heavy as a stout or IPA.

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice beer-beer. Not hoppy, not malty, not heavy, not light. Balance is the key word. Basically built like a German beer but with English ingredients....by Americans. Great to see this everywhere now. Cheers!

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Years ago I considered this a hoppy beer and I usually chose something else. Then as my hop tolerance rose I started to enjoy it and think of it as something special. Through the IPA years I thought it was awful and could not drink it. Now that I am back to a broad spectrum of beer I tried it again and it seemed like just a decent everyday beer. Clean, some taste but nothing to write home about. I really believe a Yuengling IPL is better. Brooklyn lager for sure is a better choice.

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ok for all the hype this isn't great. Most beers by Sam Adam's are misses except Cherry Wheat and Porch Rocker. It has a strong swallow but not as harsh as an IPA. Nothing as a beer drinker that I'd recommend.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

good looking brew, tons of lacing left on the glass. notes of sweet bready malts, toasted nuts, hint of caramel, a bit of peppery and slightly citric hops coming through for balance. overall a really enjoyable easy drinker!

3.32/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellow orange with rich foamy head and the lacing is decent. Smells of sweet malt/syrup, mild hops and some spice. The taste is pretty good, I get a malty hops up front with a spicy finish and maybe just a little citrus. This is a fantastic mainstream beer and is what I consider a staple beer to choose over some others. I really enjoy this beer ice cold and have to say a well made beer.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

After tasting my first Sam Adams in years, I have to say that it is definitely a step up from mainstream American lagers. It actually has a distinctive flavor and a good one at that.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear, pale bronze color with a finger of dense white head. Clean, crisp aroma and taste with a lightly toasted caramel malt profile. Slightly sweet, but pretty well balanced by modest hop bitterness, so as to leave a somewhat dry finish. Light to medium bodied. A fine go-to lager when nuthin sexier is available.

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

L --Crystal clear, vibrant, pale orange hue with moderate effervescence. Moderate pour produces a three finger white head that sticks around. Moderate lacing
S -- Very clean and mild. Grains, hops, some fruity esters
T -- Similar in character to smell. Good balance of hops and malts
F -- Robust upfront with a nice, tapering finish. Refreshing
O -- A classic

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Copper, dark orange color with foamy white head.
S: Smells like sweet roasted coffee.
T: Very well balanced blend of sweet malts, toasted coffee notes, and the slightest underlying hops.
M: Medium bodied, though sessionable compared to many other darker lagers.
O: Pretty good beer that I was pleasantly surprised with. I drank this a long time ago and hated it, now I can see this being my go-to winter beer. Balanced flavor profile with a warm center makes it a good easily-available choice for the winter months.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

L: Copper or deep gold darker than I remembered. I poured half into a shaker then poured hard the last half to get a good head that left some lacing.
S: herbal hops with some bready malt/grain
F: I really liked the level of carbonation not to harsh but just right. I found it had a moderate mouth feel.
T: Waves of flavor wash over the tongue. the grains with just a bit of sweetness in the middle that is pushed back buy a considerable wave of herbal almost pine like hop that fades to a lingering dry finish. Easy to see why its a classic.
O: I haven't had one in a year or two and still it is a solid full flavor beer. Not my fave but a very respectable offering. The balance and layers of flavors are what will bring me back.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a pretty good beer with a strong hops and wheat taste. It has a medium acidity level and is full-bodied. It is the first beer I was ever able to fully drink and say that I somewhat enjoyed (ca. mid-September 2016).

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this lager. Pours a rich golden color with a healthy head and lacing. Nice subtle aroma. Has a slight hoppy, bitter and mostly malty taste. Definitely not your average lager.

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured it in a mug. Let's gulp it down! Haven't had one of these in a minute. Brew's dark amber in color, with an inch of off-white head. Some lively carbonation. Fairly clear as far as I can tell.

Aroma is mostly of toasty-grainy malt, with some herbal and spicy hop notes floating around as well.

Clean lager profile. Toasty malt and herbal hops in balance. Decent-sized bitterness, mostly on the end.

Medium body. Somewhat crisp with a softer finish that helps leave a nice malty-sweet aftertaste to accompany that tongue-tapping bitterness. A nice one to glug.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Golden brown heavenly look. Nice bubbles/lacing. Smells light malt and balanced hop. Pretty much the "perfect balance of hops and malt". The carb is precise. So consistent.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Freshness notch November 2016.

Appearance: Two finger head that quickly dissipates into a soapy residue. Color is dark yellow to coppery.

Smell: Good clean beer.

Taste: Very well balanced, clean, slight bitterness.

Feel: Medium body with a little zip to it.

Overall: One of, if not the best of the "mass produced" lagers.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

I have a soft spot for this beer it started me into the world of craft beer just like a lot of other people I'm sure . Still one of my favorites and go to beers.

I now live in Seattle and I have to say I may be biased, because I am sick to death of over hopped Pacific Northwest crap. Since moving here I have really enjoyed being able to pick up a beer that is complex, but also well balance. I don't need to feel like I'm being punched in the face with hops and floral / citrus / pine or whatever else notes every time I drink a beer.

And for all those people saying this beer isn't hoppy or is too light, SA Boston Lager has 31 IBU's. The point at which the human palette can no longer detect any flavor difference is around 38-40 IBUs.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer was better than I expected based on the fact that it's a mass produced lager from a big brewery. It wasn't my normal style preference as I tend to go for IPAs, porters & stouts, but this was a good beer nonetheless. It had no real hop flavour to speak of but had a nice full malty flavour with full smooth mouthfeel and no off/adjunct flavour even though I enjoyed it on a warm summer day a few degrees above fridge temperature. The bready flavours which came out as it warmed were not complex at all but were pleasant all the same.

Nice well rounded flavor. One of the first beers I had. Quite carbonated, out of a can.
Smells good, tastes like a lager should, not as strong as an Ale, but clean, slightly bitter bite, a bit of bread like sweetness, (It has been a bit since i had it). Hoppy, but mild, and slightly bitter taste that continues into a aftertaste, with a nice finish. It is a good beer, canned or bottled. Drink up!

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%

12 ounce bottle to wine glass
A: amber clear, small white foam
A: nose: grains
Taste: low bitterness, long bitter finish, bitter aftertaste
M/F: medium carbonation
OA: very good lager ok to repeat
Drank: 9/14/2016 10:15 PM

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had heard so much about Sam Adams that sampling it was essential. This lager had a definite rich hops flavor; however, it was to be expected based on the TV marketing of the beer. It is my understanding that the hops give lagers a sweet taste and this one is no different. The look was very crisp and orange with surprising lacing with respectable amount of foam. As I drank the bottle, never did I feel like it lost its flavor or its crispness. I will say that the overpowering sweet flavor, I can see how somebody would not prefer it, but it did not seem too much for me. A good Friday night kick back kind of beer for me.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A beer with some presents grain and malty taste that sticks around.

Taste Rating in Words: It's the guy at the party no one's sure they know, no one invited, and you aren't convinced you want them there.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)