Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Reviews: 2,660 | Ratings: 8,992
3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Hard to find in Australia, or at least in this city.

Darkest lager i've seen that wasn't actually a dark lager, pours with an appetizing white head w/ v. small bubbles that lasted half the glass. Beautiful sweet beer smell. Very malty taste with a big pull of bitterness at the end. 'Dryer' than expected.

Takes time to warm to if you've been drinking pale adjunct lagers, but one over that is eminently drinkable. Will make this my regular if stocks last :O

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

While not overly impressive, Sam Adam's Boston Lager is a solid choice for your widely available American beers. I won't go out of my way to find it, but as it is often a staple in bars and at parties due to it's affordability, it may surprise you in it's quality. Overall a very average beer, not too flavorful, but not offensive either. I think these qualities are what make it a staple social beer.

4.36/5  rDev +14.7%

Always a good decision? yes it is! I don't know why i didn't write a review for this earlier, but now i am. Sams is by far the best American beer. It has the perfect color for a lager, dark but not to dark. The taste is what a beer should taste like. It is also a good beer to ahve with, lets say a hamburg, steak, and/or a salad. You can also cook with it, pour it over your burgers on the grill and it will add real flavor. It never ever skunks up on you, so you can hold on it in the fridge for a while too.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

Orange/ copper pour with a nice white, moon-like crater head that laces down the sides of the glass. Slightly floral and hoppy with notes of caramel and citrus orange peel. The mouthfeel is consistant with the style. Tastes great just like the last one I had. I can always count on a Sam Adams lager.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer has an expiration of Apr. 2005. I've had this beer many times, but haven't yet reviewed it, so here it goes:

This beer pours a honey golden color and produces little head which leaves a ring about the glass. There are streams of bubbles rising from the bottom. Slightly sour malty smell is given off by the beer. Taste has a solid malt background and a sort of straw character to it. The Boston Lager is good sitting in the mouth and isn't as light as most lagers. I could definitely drink a couple of these....and I have too!

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

12 ounce bottle. Pours a very clear, light amber color with a half inch, white head. Sweet, malty aroma. Nice balance between the malt and hops, but not a whole lot of complexity to the flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Good drinkability, so it's not problem to drink several of these. A good simple beer that is the best available in many restaurants.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours with a two-finger white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light-medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Light-medium carbonation. Starts with a mix of hops and sweetness, finish is hoppy, prickly but clean. 83¢ for a 12oz bottle from Market Basket Concord, NH.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

I have been enjoying Samual Adams Boston Lager for some eight years now. Now what I enjoy most about Samuel Adams Boston Lager is its exceptional drinkability. Its one of those beers that you don't have to think to much about it to enjoy it.

As far as the pour goes Samual Adams Boston Lager pours a nice amber color, if poured right it will leave a nice head of which you can float the bottle cap on it.

initially you should be able to taste the body and sweetness of the malt. This beer has real substance, it's not thin or watery. The sweet is followed up by some tartness, but has a very balanced flavor. The complexity is there but not too much a persone can taste the toffee, honey flavor, while moving into the citrus flavoring of the hops.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Served on tap at Applebee's in Chino, CA. I've had this beer several times in the bottle but never on tap so I figured it's about time I review it. It was served in a tall pilsner glass with a nice, off white and creamy head on top of the golen hued beer. The aroma on this beer is nice and hoppy without being intimidating. The flavor is very good with an excellent balance of light malt flavor with floral hoppy flavor. The malt profile is not bready in nature, but more crisp and sweet. This is one of the better balanced beers out there. Very tasty with a soft, light to medium body. This is definately a great stand-by beer for places like Applebee's where they generally serve macro swill and don't tend to serve good beer.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice clarity, a pale amber color with decent head. The aroma is nice, a hint of "noble" minty & woody hops along with a faint clear helping of malt and not much else. The flavor is good as well, not overpowering or awe-inspiring but solid from start to finish with a clean maltiness, a solid backbone of bitterness at the end, some more of that noble hop flavor (again, kind of wood-like to me, hints of cedar and spicy minty) and a little bit of caramel. Good mouthfeel. Samuel Adams is kind of maligned in that they aren't really a micro, but they make a solid product that is way better than BudMillerCoors and the "imports" like Heinekin. It was definitely the best choice I had at the convenience store this past holiday weekend (Christmas 2004) (although the Yuengling lager was my 2nd choice as I have never had it before, the green bottles just keep me away.)

3.76/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a medium amber with a good 2 finger head and good lace. Mildly smells of sweet malt with a faint hop aroma. Taste of immediate sweet malt that is quickly followed my the hop "spicyness". Not to overpowering - very well balanced. Crisp. I wouldn't call this a lawnmower beer but it is fairly flavprful for a "average" American lager and very drinkable. This is my standard when eating out because it usually goes well with all types of food.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

12oz single from my Holiday Sampler. Pours out with a body a perfect shade of amber similar to the Sam Light I had a few moments ago. The head is white, voluminous and robust. I’m actually getting sheets of lace down the side of the glass and the head retention is pretty great as well. The nose is sweet toffee and biscuity malts with a faint sprinkling of earthy bitterness about the edges. As I swallow the first thing I notice is this is quiet a bit sweeter than I remember it being. Nice round toffee flavors up front accompanied by a mild fruitiness, the middle is grainy (in a good way) and is eventually accompanied by a well-balanced earthen bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is light, but has quiet a bit more body than your typical Pale Lager. A great, well rounded beer, flavorful and with nice session appeal. I think I will find myself going to this one more often.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Consumed in comparison with a Dos Equis Amber lager (also a Vienna Lager).

Appearance: Darker amber (orangish/brown hue). Good head, about 1/2 inch, lasting until midway through the beer. Lacing in the glass until the finish.

Smell: Malty sweetness noticed, a hint of roasted chocolate. Faint tinge of hops noticed (although subtle, and right after pouring).

Taste: The malty sweetness is noticeable, but is balance by a bit of hop at the finish. Flavor of caramel, chocolate and something else sweet and nutty (almonds?). I seem to taste almonds with malty beers, I wonder why?

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, carbonated.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable, I had forgotten how good this beer is, and I can see why it is so popular, worlds better than BMC.

Final thoughts: I seem to remember this beer as being more robust in flavor, and felt that this has been toned down (its probably been almost a year since I have had ANY Sam Adams products). A very good beer nonetheless. I forgot how mush I missed this, thanks to Scott, my college roomate who introduced me to this in the Fall of '95, and turned me on to better beer.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Can't believe I've never reviewed this one before! Comes in a custom 12oz longneck bottle, with the best before month clearly notched.

Pours a very clear deep pale pumpkin orange color. Very carbonated for the style. Head is thick, white, and surprisingly long lasting. Clings to the side of the mug nicely. Taste is good. I can honestly say that this macro lager tastes better than some (repeat: SOME) of the craft lagers I've had. It shouldn't win any best of show awards either, but the fact that it is a decent beer in a market of fizzy yellow beers is something of merit. Quite sweet, hops are subtle, there are certainly no bold Czech hops here. Strawlike and sweet, then dry on the aftertaste. If forced to drink a macro as unfortunately some social situations demand, I will most likely ask for this.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

12 ouncer, with freshness indication on the label. Pours very clear, darker straw shade, clear, supports a snow white tiny bubble head, which exhibits respectable retention and leaves B+ lacing, fine ,segemented and dispersed. bready floral nose, this is crisp and snappy lager, widely available and a useful fallback brew at many "bud-Miller-cooors light " type establishments. finishes clean and drying, with a hint of spice. Nice

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber color, fine bubbles, small head but nice head retention.

Aroma: Sweet malt, with slightly peppery hop aroma.

Flavor: Malt is the main flavor, slightly sweet, slightly grainy. Hop bitterness is medium low but provides some good balance, along with some spicy taste. Finish is clean, with enough hop dryness to make it interesting.

Body: Creamy mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

Notes: As many beer fans say, this isn't an interesting enough beer to drink if there's a choice of micros, but it's not bad and at many bars where it's the only "choice", it can be quite a nice brew to have now and then.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

Out of all the beers that can be found in the average grocery store, this one is my favorite. It shouldn't even be compared to watery macrobrews like Budweiser and MGD- it's several steps above them with both the strength and the quality of it's flavor. The difference is clear as soon as the cap comes off the bottle. The drinker is greeted with a pleasant, malty aroma as soon as it's opened. The taste is smooth and a little sweet at first, followed by a hint of dry bitterness when swallowed. The body is very full and malty. It has alot of taste, but it's also very drinkable- a great stepping stone into the world of better beers.

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is the beer that started it all for me... an introduction to the wider world of "real" beer that we all celebrate as BAs!

Pours out an orange color with very good clarity and a pretty decent off-white head. Retention is pretty good and the head leaves a little lacing down the side of the glass. Aroma is pleasantly fruity with hints of sweet malt as well. Taste is a nice balance between malty sweetness and a fairly decent helping of hops in the middle. Finishes a semi-dry with hop bitterness lingering. Very good overall. Mouthfeel is a tiny bit thin due to notable carbonation, but still very pleasant. Drinkability is probably the strongest suit for this offering: well balanced and flavorful without going overboard in any particular area. This is an excellent beer that opened my eyes to a wider world many years ago. Probably never going to make the top of the lists, but a solid beer for any occasion and worthy of a place in your refridgerator!

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a deep amber with a slight touch of honey. Head retention is solid.

Presents just about everything I'd expect to see in a good solid lager. Hops are pronounced but well balanced and help promote the smooth mouthfeal. Perhaps not exceptional but I expect to see this in my fridge quite often.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice deep amber orange with a nice 1" fluffy white head. Shiny and clear. Smell is a sweet caramel with some grain notes and a smattering of floral hops. Nice, but nothing to write home about.

First sip has a nice nutty caramel flavor with subtle hints of flowery hop biterness on the back of the palate. A somewhat grainy flavor rides through there as well.

Mouthfeel is nice and easy to drink...a bit thin but that's to be expected. Drinkability is good here as this is a decent brew that is widely available and beats the hell out of the major macro choices.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

I'm trying very hard to rate this for style because, apparently, I really don't enjoy lagers...

Pours medium golden, nice hue, looks a bit pissy though. Insane amount of carbonation with a huge foamy head, good retention. After being attacked by bubbles, the taste is dominated by bitter hops and a little bit of toasted notes. At the end, the bitterness lingers as does the carbonation. As with all the Sams I've had, a helluva decent beer for such a large brewery. But, I wouldn't get it again until I start to like this style.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Pours a light golden color, which is very clear. Light shoots through the beer without any problem. A fairly thick rolling white head forms as the swirling carbonation rushes to the surface. A nice flowery aroma wafts up gently from the glass. A firm maltiness is shoulder to shoulder with the hops aroma. The hops embrace your tongue immediately, but quickly take a back seat to the semisweet maltiness. Now there's a slight caramel taste. This bit of sweetness fades into a nicely hopped finish, which is softly bitter. The aftertaste is refreshingly dry and on the bitter side. This is an easy drinking lager that will always have a special place in my heart. It's not the best beer out there, but like so many others, it was the first craft beer I ever drank regularly. For that, I'll always appreciate it and there will always be room for it in my fridge. It doesn't hurt that it's very tasty!

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Sam Adams has always been one of those beers that just does it for me. Quite often it's the only thing besides BMC you can find around here on tap being a "Get people drunk for cheap and make them gamble away their savings" city unless you hit the micro breweries.

Fills the glass with a copper colored liquid that foams up and forms a nice 1" creamy head. Sticks to the glass and doesn't let go.

Smell is of sweet malt, caramel and a bit of flowery hop.

Taste is nice and malty, with a good amount of hops to pull it all together. Hop profile reminds me of a lighter SNPA.

Mouthfeel is great, a bit creamy but still refreshing like a lager and it pairs very well with the pizza I had.

Boston Lager is a very nice brew and is definately one I will need to start having around again.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

I first started drinking this beer when I was 15 years old. I remember ordering it when I would go out to eat with my parents at Uno's restaurant. I have not had it almost nine years now... and it tastes a lot different than I remember.

First of all, the aroma seems lacking. I remember it having a really distinct aroma presence... and I can tell you as a professional brewer, one of the easiest ways a brewery can cut corners and save money is to cut down on the amount of aroma hops they use. I can't tell if this brewery has taken this route, but the aroma seems to be lacking.

The taste is pretty good. I thought I detected DMS in the beginning, but as I tasted some more, it seemed to fade.

The beer was full-bodied for a vienna-style lager. It worked quite well with the generous contribution of flavor hops.

Overall this is a pretty drinkable beer.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

This guy has a dark gold body, big head(well i poured it pretty damn hard, it had better), cream colored, lace follows it down to the bottom. Clean grain malt scent, light floral hops as well. Pretty much the same for the taste, grain malt up front with nice floral/bitter hop contrast. Full mouth. Pretty damn drinkable Id say.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)