Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager
3.74/5
Good
Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Ratings: 9,285 |  Reviews: 2,718
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.19/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I finally tried the much anticipated "Can" version of this , and I think the money put into designing this can could have been put to better use, the mouth itself has an opening about 1/4" from the lip and the lip itself was curled out away from the can and the mouth was a little wider than normal cans, that combined with the distance from the lip you need to tilt your head back further to drink it, making it relatively easy to spill on yourself. The beer did not "slide" as it normally does for me. I will be sticking to bottles in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance:
Pours a nice and clear amber color with white head.

Smell:
Hoppy with a sweet malt smell.

Taste:
Slightly hoppy with a sweet malt taste to balance out the hops. I also get a nice bready flavor as well.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and medium bodied.

Overall:
I have to admit that for all the crap that people throw Jim Koch's way, his Boston Lager is pretty good and is better now that it's been canned. I'm glad that I decided to go back and drink the beer that got me hooked on craft beer and I might consider to start picking it up again during the summer because of its taste and low abv, not to mention its flexibility with food pairings.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.74 out of 5 with 9,285 ratings