Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Ratings: 9,139 |  Reviews: 2,697

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

3.8/5  rDev 0%

355 ml, brown heavy bottle. ABV 4,7%. Best before February 2013.
Poured into a lager glass.
Deep orange in colour, with lots of bubbles in its body and a decent one finger white head, average retention and heavy lacing left behind.
Aroma is malty and very hoppy. Very nice.
Taste follows the smell. Very bitter from the hops, almost at the very start. Bitterness has a long duration too.
Full and rich body, high carbonation.

First time I had this one was at the Philadelphia airport, waiting for my flight,had it straight from the bottle as I didn't have much time left. I had almost forgot about it and then I started seeing it mentioned all over, people raving on their reviews etc, so I was really excited to find it in my local beer shop (I live in the Netherlands). After having it for so long in my fridge I gave it a try just now, and boy, am I satisfied!
Great beer that I surely pick up again.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark gold body with a rich, thick, creamy white head with thick, clinging lacing and rings down the glass. The nose has a bit of light malt sweetness with a soft, floral hop presence in the background. Soft, biscuit-like malt flavor overall with a very soft hop bitterness throughout. Medium body, crisp and clean.

My first experience with Sam Adam's flagship beer was back in Berlin, Germany in 1987 (or maybe 1988) at Grunewoche. I thought it was pretty neat to have an American beer accepted for this big fest overseas and really enjoyed it (as I recall). As the years have progressed, I've slipped away from drinking Boston Lager except when it's one of the few bottled or draft beers available at any eating establishments my wife and I visit (there are just too many other new beers to explore these days -- a good "problem" if ever there was one). But back to this review -- this is still an excellent lager overall. It's nicely balanced and is a mellow, yet very tasty beer. You can't go wrong with a Sam Adam's Boston Lager...

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Transparent copper gold with one finger dense head. Sometimes, there are a lot of lacing.

Aroma: Hops are mostly of floral and hint of herbal hops. Sweet bready malts.

Taste: Hops are light but plentiful. Little bit of citrus and floral. Sweet graham cracker. Toasted bready malts.

Mouthfeel: Median with median carbonation. Smooth lager. Finish is light bitterness and breadiness.

Overall: This is actually a nice lager. Probably the best mass produced lager in the US.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Smells strongly of sourdough and just a touch skunky.
Clear vibrant amber in color. Half inch white head.
Taste is well balanced between sweet malt and hops. Has a medium body and is well carbonated.
Balance about sums it up with this one. Between the aroma to taste to body, everything shines through and nothing is overdone.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

A: A deep good with excellent clarity. The persistent off-white head is comprised of compact bubbles.

S: A low Noble hops aroma that is a bit earthy and spicy. There is a moderate amount of German malt character although I don't know whether that's Vienna or Munich but I get there. Otherwise a fairly clean lager with no inappropriate aromas.

T: A soft malt flavor at a moderate level. There is a moderate hop bitterness with a little bit of a spicy hops flavor. The balance is about even between the malt and the bitterness. The finish is somewhat dry with a the malt flavor and hops bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: A smooth medium-light bodied beer with moderately-strong carbonation.

O: A good Vienna lager that pairs well with food. This is a flavorful lager but there are other examples that have really impressed me.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)