Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager
3.74/5
Good
Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Ratings: 9,208 |  Reviews: 2,705

3.27/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a caramel brown with a slightly rusty single finger head of foam.

Caramel, biscuits, and some unknown hop resin.

The malt bill on this is just swell, sweet caramel and toasted notes lay the backbone for the subtle but interesting hop bite.

Medium-bodied, medium-heavy carbonation, sweet, dry finish.

Overall, this is my go to when bars have a crappy draft or bottle list.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a crystal clear amber color. A foamy, sea-sudsy cream head slowly recedes leaving a thick film. Lines and splotches of foamy lacing stay on the glass for a while.

Aroma is notes of nutty, biscuity malts up front. Sweet caramel, and eventually piney hops.

The taste profile mimics the aroma quite well. A nice, warm nuttiness comes first, then a smoother, sweeter caramel malt experience. The finish is just hoppy enough to add balance.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, slight creaminess.

Overall, hit and miss. Sometimes it seems watered down. But either way it's a balanced, tasty brew that's nearly slammable with it's 4.9% ABV.

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%

4.04/5  rDev +8%

It was not until recently that I realized that I had never reviewed the beer that really started it all for me, Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. While you can argue, and I may agree with you depending on my mood, that SABL is not a true "craft" beer because it is so commercialized and successful, that doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact, it's excellent. This is the beer that encouraged me to try new beers in the beginning, and then Founders turned me all the way! That being said, on tap at Conrads into a mug.

Appearance - A nice amber/golden color with a good one and a half finger head with lacing that sticks around. Good pour and presentation from the barkeep. Of course, you gotta love the classic packaging. It looks like they have recently updated their packaging, which I think is a travesty.

Smell - Malts, toasty breads, some barley and some hops. A bit of light caramel rounds out one of the truly special nasal experiences in all of beer-dom. All beers should strive for such a balanced, distinctive nose.

Taste - Another superior example of the care and forethought put into this flagship lager. Smooth malty notes intermingle with breads, which fade into caramel and a bit of hops. Much like the nose, well balanced. Subdued, nothing is too extreme

Mouthfeel - Finishes smooth, medium bodied, medium carbonation. A little bit of hops at the back end, as well as some nuttiness.

Overall - This truly is a special beer. Like I said, this got me going into craft beer. I will still drink SABL anytime, anywhere it is offered. If I can't make up my mind as to what exotic ber I want, I'll say forget it and grab this. Generally, this is a sidenote purchase at the beer gettin' place, kind of a counter balance so if all the exotic beers I get suck, at least I got a sixer of SA out of the deal. Exactly what a beer should be

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: An attractive copper/amber hue with a finger of creamy beige head. Killer lacing.

Smell: Nose is a bit clogged today, but it's not my first time... This stuff is sweet and malty. No bad characteristics in the nose at all.

Taste: Smoooth, creamy texture, without being too thick. Caramel, malts, and hops come out, the former and latter being my favorite part of this brew. A variety of spices are present as well. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the smoother beers out there. Each sip is refreshing, and it's not too carbonated.

Overall: I drink Boston Lager every so often, particularly if it's on tap. I used to think "lager" meant fizzy, yellow, boring beer, and Sam Adam's has shown me different. If you live under a rock, and have never had it, what are you waiting for? It's available in most areas of the United States, and at a fair enough price.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

The Boston Lager is one I've had on several occasions, under very fun circumstances, and it has never disappointed.

Out of the bottle it pour a very appealing dark-golden color, the head is always surprising to me so very white. It has staying power so be careful not to pour to much to fast. Mouthfeel is nothing special, in fact, the more I think about it, I recall it as feeling very carbonated.

Overall, it truly is a special beer. It's nice to know its there after I've struck out with other beers that I try.

4.75/5  rDev +27%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.74 out of 5 with 9,208 ratings