Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager
3.74/5
Good
Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

Ratings: 9,370 |  Reviews: 2,736

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

This was the first beer I ever liked upon turning 21, so I may be a bit partial. I'm a big fan of "industry firsts," so while I know this wasn't the first craft brew on American soil, it was one of the pioneers of the art and for that it must be recognized.

A - A ruby amber with little to no visible carbonation. This beer pours the easiest, stickiest head out of any beer I know. The head is pillowy and airy, sticking to my glass.

S - A deep malt, and the Sam Adams smell, not sure what it is but all of their brews seem to share a common smell/aftertaste. Slight hoppiness and a bit of grassy/citrusy aroma.

T - The most balanced beer ever. Sure, more beers are in your face, but this has a great combination of caramel malty sweetness, citrusy hops bitterness, smooth carbonation, a bready, yeasty taste followed by a floral hint at the end. This should be the standard bearer for American Lagers. Great with cheesy Italian, hearty homestyle, or any hearty, cheesy meal.

M - Light and smooth but not watery whatsoever. You can feel the carbonation but it doesn't diminish your ability to consume as much or as little of this beer as you want.

This is my go-to beer at a bar. Problem I have with the beer is it's too "mainstream" for the hip crowd, but too fancy for the mainstream joints, so I tend to either overpay or never see this beer at my local watering holes.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

So this is my beer of choice and overall favorite, so I am a little bias when it comes to Sam Adams Boston Lager. My grandfather discovered this beer back in the 1980s when it first arrived, my family being from the Boston area, he had some of the first batched brewed commercially. So my father, my uncle and their cousins began to drink this brew after. Thus myself and my brother have conitnued a family tradition of always having a Boston Lager on hand.

Poured from a bottle into a Sams Adams glass.

Appearance: Dark amber in color with a slightly off-white head. Good retention on the head with good lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Hops with toasted malts and a pnie like smell in the backround.

Mouthfeel/Taste. Medium Bodied and smooth, well balanced with a good earthy hop taste with a bitter hop after taste.

Overall: Still my all time favorite and always my beer of choice. Still great, and always great.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Consumed 7/16/12

Note: 400th review posted to BA

Appearance: Extremely clear, golden copper - decent size white head, retains an impressive little cap, leaves some spots of lacing

Smell: Pale and caramel malts, lightly toasted grains - some lager yeast spiciness, and some earthy, leafy hops - caramel sweetness

Taste: A bit less interesting than the nose, but still good - a base of caramel and pale malts, with a slight toasted characteristic - a moderate amount of malty sweetness and some sugary caramel - balanced with some spiciness and earthy, leafy, floral hops - moderately bitter, with a lingering earthiness - kind of an odd aftertaste, oddly oily and leafy, and there's a weird fruitiness that builds as it warms up (almost sour grape-like)

Mouthfeel: Medium body, mostly smooth, nicely carbonated

Overall: One of the better beers from Samuel Adams

Samuel Adams Boston Lager was the first craft beer that I ever tasted. I imagine this is true for a number of BAs. At the time, I was blown away. Now, I still like it, but I realize that it's not the best, even for its style. Prior to the bottle that I am currently drinking, I haven't had this in a while. And it's because I think this beer seriously upsets my stomach. I don't know why. But I guess I will find out if this is still true tomorrow morning...

4.46/5  rDev +19.3%

After paying $10 for a six pack of the disappointing Summer Ale by the Boston Beer Company, I was reluctant to give this stuff a try. But holy SHIT am I glad that I did. Pours a clear copper with a beautiful 3 and half finger white head. Some bubbles within the head from the carbonation just adds to the beauty. It doesn't sound THAT spectacular but you must see it for yourself. The smell reminded me a lot of the Latitude 48 IPA, grapefruit, Lemon, Hops, and a whole variety of other scents coming through, Although it was a bit toned down in this brew. Still smelled great. The taste followed the smell, It pretty much reminded me of an easier, slightly lighter version of the Latitude 48. Lots of hops, Lots of grapefruit, And a delicious but very slight sherbert creaminess flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is just as good. The flavors pretty much stay the same, But my oh my is it creamy and delicious. Definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had, If not THE best. Pick up a 6 pack of this NOW

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.74 out of 5 with 9,370 ratings