Samuel Adams Boston Lager | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Boston LagerSamuel Adams Boston Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our original beer is full-flavored with a balance of malty sweetness contrasted by hop spiciness and a smooth finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2001

3.8

Reviews: 2,645 | Ratings: 8,937
4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

I just picked up a 6-pack of this at Kroger when I was grocery shopping, and I thought, what the heck, I'll try this. Everyone I know doesn't like Sam Adams, but they all drink cheap American beer-flavored seltzer water (I can't knock it if I ain't payin' for it though!!). Anyway, I opened the bottle and sniffed the beer. It has a sweet, flowery aroma and I then poured a little into a clear glass. It pours a reddish-amber type color with a brownish head that stayed there for a long while. I then tasted it. Wow, my relatives were wrong! I liked the mellow, sweet taste of Sam Adams. The taste was kinda nutty in the middle of the sip, and left a clean, crisp bite at the end of it, and the aftertaste was a little hoppy, then mellowed a bit. This beer is underrated, taking a backseat to the Big Three; however, I think I might get me another one or five... I'll definitely recommend this gem, and I will be buying this one again!!

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a light golden orange with a big white forthy head that sticks around all the way to the bottom of the glass. Nose is mainly of carmael malts, just a tiny hint of hops. Taste is pleasantly malty, gently hops finish, pretty well balanced. Medium bodied and a little creamy. This is a solid fallback beer than is becoming nearly as ubiquitous as the big 3.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Well im not sure I can do this beer justice. It is a staple. Well...when I have money. It pours a nice orangey-amber with a nice creamy head. The smell is sweet and crazy floral hoppy. Anotherwords, it smells great. The taste includes a nice balance of hops and malts. Normally on tap tit has more of a nutty/wheaty taste to it but this time it was a blast of hops. Everyone knows about this beer, and it kicks ass. Note: do not be a dumbass and chug it then barf it into a flower pot.

4.39/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: It pours a golden amber colour with a good white head. It is fun to pour and it got attitude, but it is a little too orange in my opinion.

Smell: It smells floral hops and caramel for sure. It also got some caramel aroma too. The best beer aroma I know.

Taste: One of the tastiest beers I reviewed. It is a wonderful mix of caramel, and some hoppy bitterness. Overall, the flavour is clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel: It is so smooth and creamy. Its carbonation doesn't bother you at all and add up some fun to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: It is probably the best U.S. macro lager available on the market and it doesn't use adjunct! What a well-balanced and tasty lager. Some people might not like it, but it is one of my best reviewed products.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer pours one of the best colors of any beer i can think of, a beautiful light amber.

The smell is bready with hops easily perceptible.

I think this beer excels in balance, great bready malt taste with just the right amount of hop flavor.

overall, a very tasty brew, i am always happy to have one of these and almost always keep some on hand.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap at Bennigans, the guy can't pour beer worth crap, but I'm not complaining. Not the first time I've had the beer, but I decided to rate it this time.
Clear, golden/copper body, light carbonation and a moderate white head.
Smell is of hops and that unmistakable scent that can only be described as beer. Some herbal in there, sweet.
Taste is of sweet malt on the tongue, followed by a moderate hopping, cleaning the palate and sticking to the tip of your tongue and the sides.
Very good beer, probably my new official back-up beer, since you can find this beer at so many places.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Clear amber with a nice white head.

Smell: Sweet, sweet malt with a hint of caramel all working in harmony.

Taste/Mouthfell: The sip starts with a nice sweet malt flavor, and ends with some balancing hops. The mouthfell is a little thinner than medium.

Drinkability: This is a quality beer. Although it is not a great beer, it is refreshing and great to drink while watching baseball during the dog days of summer.

Appearance: Beautiful red-amber color with an off-white head. I could stare into this beer all day, or at least for as long as it takes me to drink it.

Smell: Smells clean and refreshing. Perfect warm weather beer.

Taste: Clean, crisp, well-balanced. Nice light hop note in the finish and good carbonation. I usually prefer ales to lagers, but this is one is an exception.

Mouthfeel: Nice and light, refreshing carbonation. This is one of those beers I would sit out on my porch and drink on a hot day.

Drinkability: Wonderful session beer. Quenches thirst without being overly filling.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Presentation: Poured a medium-orange color into a traditional pint glass, with about a finger-thick head. Retention was very good. Cascading bubbles showed a moderate amount of carbonation. Mild floral hop aroma malt sweetness were present. I was grateful that the bartender did a good pour on this beer.

Tasting: This beer was well-balanced, with slight malt sweetness along with crisp hop bitterness. It had a slightly oily texture on the middle of the tongue, as well as a lightly-hopped aftertaste. This was a medium-bodied brew, and it went down smoothly and easily.

Sam Adams really hit the spot when I was just sitting at the bar, waiting for friends. I could drink this as a session beer or a fall-back beer. I recommend it for anyone looking to get into craft beer, as well as anyone who wants to enjoy a nice, easy drinking lager.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

I poured the Boston Lager into my favorite pint glass, allowing about a 2cm head to rise just above the lip of the glass. The head is impressive; with a thick cake-like texture that remained attached to the glass to the last drop of the beer. The color of the beer is appetizing, a light, golden shade.

All the foreplay aside, the beer is thirst quenching and very drinkable; the two qualities that stand out most. The malts of the beer outweigh the hops at first sip, but this seems reversed after swallowing. The two row malts are the first taste distinguished by my nose and tongue as I begin the drink. The aroma of the noble hops almost immediately follows as the beer moves around the interior of my mouth. The hops impart piney and citrus notes primarily. They remain in my taste long after swallowing the beer. The malts and hops are well balanced.

I enjoy this beer thoroughly. It is a regular choice of mine for meals of all types.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 24oz with a best before date of June '05, into a mug.

Clear amber with a small white head that falls to a thin veil inside a ring that leaves some lacing as I drink.

Mostly caramel and light hops in the nose. Not very complex, yet clean and balanced.

The taste is also a nice pair of hop and malt with a clean dry finish. The malt provides a good background for the hops to take center stage and linger after the finish.

Medium to light mouthfeel with just enough carbonation tingle to awaken my tastebuds. Goes down smooth and easy.

A great session beer that is easy to find. My favorite for dinner parties. Goes well with just about any meal.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear, ambered-golden topped by a crisp, white, frothy head.
Smells purely of sweet malt. Just a hint of spicy noble hops and some honey.
Taste is as the smell suggest - solidly malty and quite spicy on the tongue. Finishes extremely clean with just a twinge of bitterness.
Mouth is medium-bodied and very carbonated. Slightly oily; just a bit slick on the tongue.
Easy, tasty drinking but nothing too challenging for the senses.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Light, candied sweet fleshy fruit (apricotish) aroma with a pinch of floral hops. Small cream colored head fades quickly to a think film, but leaves a good deal of lace. Not quite transparent copper colored beer with very little carbonation activity. Mildly sweet caramel/butterscotch and toasted malt flavor is enjoyable and balanced by some mildly bitter hops midway though. The bitterness drops back towards the end and the original flavors make a faint reappearance. Body is moderately light, and the mouthfeel is a bit fizzy in the middle, but generally soft. Most of the Boston Lagers I've had were not too bad, but a few, including this bottle, have been really good. It's more miss then hit, but sometimes it just hits the spot.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a bright bronze color with an average sized head. It smells of very sweet, carmelized malts. Maybe also a bit of hops as well. The taste is nice also. Very rich and malty with a wonderful smooth, clean finish. Great tasting beer. The mouthfeel is great, almost a perfect amount of carbonation in this one. The smoothness and great taste makes it a highly drinkable beer. If this was the only kind of beer left in the whole world, I'd be disappointed, but not sad by any means. Very good beer, especially for its common availability.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

This was my first real beer and my introduction into craft beer. I still like this beer and drink it everyonce in awhile. This is already a clasic beer. You can read my complete and detailed review of this beer at: http://pilgrims-pub.blogspot.com/2007/12/tasting-notes.html

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Apperance: Clear, light golden apricot. head is white, frothy with lacing that sticks all the way.

Nose: Sweet carmel malt. Slight vanilla in the finish. Some lime.

Taste: Crisp, with some clear hops right away. The hops stays with you all the way through until the end and then vanishes. A little sweet in the middle, syrupy and a little malty. Carbonation sneaks up on you at the end, but it wakes your taste buds up a bit.

Notes: When all they have is Coors, Bud Light and Sam, ALWAYS grab a Sam. In my opinion this is the best, most reliable beer in the US. Great job Jim!!!

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

24oz bottle with June freshness date.

Beer is amber with good head retention. The smell is very generic (think less offensive adjunct lager riff), but the taste is great for anything calling itself a lager (usually a sign of one-dimensionality in my book). Hops are rather understated, with some herbal tones coming from somewhere, and this balances excellently with some creamy malts. This is nothing fancy, but definitely a well crafted beer, and at 4.75% abv would make a great session brew.

Rarely does such a good beer shift so many units in this fine country America. Don't let its ubiquity scare you off.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

12 FL. OZ.
Purchase Before JUN

Appearance – golden/amber body; white head that doesn’t show will power; lace is reasonable

Smell – caramel, grains and hops

Taste – nice hop/malt balance; grains (touch of roast), caramel, bit of citrus and Noble hops; balance holds in the aftertaste with a bit of grains and a bit of hop zestiness

Mouthfeel – a bit crisp to open; pleasant medium body from start to finish; clean close; not too heavy for repetition

Drinkability – aftertaste is pleasant, if a bit dry, but the balance lends itself to drinkability

This is a nice session brew and one of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. Its better than I remember from maybe 2 years ago.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Found myself in the hub of the universe with this one on 3/18/20005. 12-oz bottle poured in a shaker glass.

After initial down pillow, a loose jail break of carbonation flies out to a trace/trance of frost hoar. Light orange to amber hue and crystalline to the point of a razor’s edge. Somewhat wishy-wash of malt on nose with just a scratch of hop and wafting honey. Slight buttery malt flavor hits right off the bat with an afterthought of grapefruit-like hop. This would be a good session libation.

Appearance: Poured this one into a nice pilsner glass (instead of my usual pint glass). At first a nearly one and half inch creamy off-white head which very slowly dissipates down to a very thick white lace. A nice, slightly dark amber color with a very subtle copper hue.

Aroma: A dominating floral hop aroma, with some slight malt scents as well. Some citrus notes too. Also, a faint honey-like aroma.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A pretty heavy maltiness, quite nice and smooth though. While the hop flavors are comparatively light, it is still present enough to balance the beer very nicely. In other words, the above-average sweetness is balanced by the pleasant (but mild) bitterness. That honey-like characteristic is present in the taste as is the citrus. Some slight toffee flavor too. Mild hop flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is very easy and is medium bodied with carbonation to match. Very drinkable!

A very solid brew: its not overwhelmingly amazing but very, very good. A pleasantly malty brew that is balanced nicely by its mellow hop aroma and flavor. A very tasty brew that is not too much on the palate, and this combination makes it unusually drinkable. This would make a great beer to convert others to craft beer appreciation: it is widely available and is not too rich (which means those accustomed to flavorless macros won’t be scared off by the taste of this one) and it is good enough to maybe, just maybe, open their eyes to a better world of beer. It may sound like I’m getting a little carried away but I have used this particular beer to get a few of my friends turned on to craft beer! In any event, this is a slightly fantastic beer which I have returned to time and time again in the past, and will continue to do so in the future. Highly recommended.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

Had this on tap at a local bar while watching March Madness. Came with a nice one inch white head that stuck around a couple of minutes. The color was a little darker than your average lager.

The smell was of floral, hops and a little citrus. The taste was very unimpressive at first, but improved with each sip. Initially it's a sharp but not overpowering, hoppy, floral and slightly citrusy beginning. While most beers seem to fall apart after that, this subsided to bring out some subtle malty and sweet characteristics. Couldn't really pick out anything random or unique but still a better taste than most lagers.

The mouthfeel had a lot more weight to it than I was expecting. Initially, I thought it was going to be harsh but it turned out to be smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. I didn't think it would be very drinkable but four more later, that also proved to be wrong. Overall, this was a beer I'm glad I didn't trust my initial reaction to.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

I do not believe it is just to put this lager into a broad category such as "Vienna" or "Premium Lager," instead it strattles the line between a fine pilsener and a rich viennna lager. Further, it is labled not by a classic style but by the rather ambiguous "Boston Lager."

Poured into a pint glass from a 24 oz. bottle, it gives a bright red-amber hue. Dense, dissapating head, tart fruity aroma. First taste gives rich slighty sweet, carmal malt tones, quicky backed by a bitter, very piney hops bouqet. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied for a lager.

Definitely, one of the more flavorful lagers I have ever tasted. Although it may not be as easily drinkable as some beers, it holds its place as an "Old Standby."

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

The beer poured a nice clear golden with a pretty white head. The aroma was basic: some malt overcome by hops. The taste was also pretty standard, but showed quality. It had a slight malt start and quickly moved to a hops finish that was not overpowering. The feel was nice and light and had a bit of effervesence. I bought this today by default. I had gone to a restaurant and this was the only reasonable choice. I was happy and now feel I will have a reasonable choice in these situations in the future. I was having fish and chips and it set well against them. The hops gave a nice clarifying bite.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz. with purchase before May '05 notched on the label. Pours into the imperial pint glass a copper color with an off-white 2 finger head that leaves lots of lacing and rings. The beer is low on aroma, but it smells of caramel malts and floral hops. The flavors are caramel with spicy/floral hops that leave a nice bitterness. There is a hint of fruitiness in the aftertaste. Feels smooth on the palate with a medium body. This makes a great session beer.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

12 oz brown bottle. Good through July 2005. One of my all time favorite beers. This beer has one of the best aromas out there. The floral hops aroma is perfectly balanced by the malt. Pours a light copper color with a light white head. Taste - Excellent balance between the bitter hops and sweet malt. A good, sturdy beer like our grandfathers enjoyed. It may not be America's best lager, but is probably America's best lager that is readily available. Cheers!

Samuel Adams Boston Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)