Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Score:
Ranked #48,177
3.19 | pDev: 23.51%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Notes:
Reviews: 1,198 | Ratings: 4,012 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
CTHomer from Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A: crystal clear; medium gold in color; with a fairly aggressive pour, a 1.5 finger ivory head that receded to a skim cap; very little lacing;

S: cherry, but with a tinge of throat lozenge;

T: pretty close to cherry cough syrup; very mild bitterness at the end;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: not something I would come back to;

Apr 16, 2020
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a 22 oz. "Applebees" glass.

L---Orangy, golden color. Fluffy, pure white head with little retention and very good lacing.

S---Strong, I mean STRONG, cherry candy aroma. Nothing else can compete with the cherry.

T---Cherry candy is dominant, but not as strong as the aroma. Faint wheat in the background.

F---Fairly light feeling. Well carbonated.

O---Very cherry, which is on point for what they're selling. A bit too much cherry for me, though.

Mar 22, 2020
kryansutton

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Now when I first cracked open this bad boy form the holiday pack, I was surprised to find a chocolate and cherry tone. When I let it breathe and pressed it to my lips for my first encounter. It lacked the taste it so eloquently gave me upon poping that top, It was so sour and bitter, and choked it down. Tho it worked nicely with palmento dip and Fritos. It was not my choice in beers, Guess I never developed a taste for the wheat. But the bottle looks good and felt great after around 4 of them I was having a good time and it was tasting better. Not accustomed to drinking such a sour beer. But its something I might be able to get used to.

Mar 08, 2020
Harrison8 from Missouri

3.02/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly foggy deep orange with two fingers of dense, white foam atop. Head retention is okay. Aroma is strong cherry, which comes of artificial - akin to a cherry throat lozenge. Additional notes of wheat, biscuity, bready, earthy malts and very light herbal and citrusy hop notes work to balance out the aroma, but cherry is 90% of it. Flavor profile is cherry right out front, which drinks a bit like cherry cough syrup. Syrupy, herbal, resiny, and citrusy hops add a little completeness within the hop side, but do little to balance. Malts, which come by way of earthy, bready and biscuity, also do little to balance. It's sickly sweet. Mouth feel is medium-thin with a fizzily, fuzzy texture that feels more like a cola on the tongue than a beer. Overall, while it certainly delivers on the cherry note, it's woefully unbalanced and artificial tasting making for a lackluster experience.

Served in a 15.5oz Speigalau tulip from a 12oz bottle.

Jan 15, 2020
jmc65267 from Georgia

3.76/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wow! Surprisingly good, I did not see it coming. The smell is terrific it literally smells like cherries. The flavor is also very nice, I would get again given the opportunity.

Nov 22, 2019
Imperatum15 from California

3.97/5  rDev +24.5%

This has a medium-light body with a great nose. Cherry notes can be smelled right away. The taste of cherries is not overbearing or cough-syrupy. It's refreshing and the taste of cherries comes off the back end just right. It looks nice too. Primarily golden but I saw a bit of rose or pink as well.

Oct 27, 2019
Swizzz from Florida

4.12/5  rDev +29.2%

I've had this beer quite a few times in my day it's never a bad experience nothing I buy on a regular basis but when I get the opportunity I go for it this beer is very drinkable even though it's a beginner's beer it is still a really good beer nice wheat with a hint of cherries not sweet more like drinking a refreshing cherry soda without all the sticky syrup perfectly balanced wheat beer with a nice taste of cherries just hide the label so you don't look like a pussy LOL JK

Jul 19, 2019
bshefftz from California

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This ain’t bad! For what it is. I’ve had plenty of highly regarded sour beers - vinegar bombs - that were less enjoyable than this. For a widely available, low ABV, highly drinkable summer brew that’s sour-sweet like a Sour Patch Kid, you won’t pour this down the drain.

Mar 17, 2019
alcoholicarrogance from Maine

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

I get a six pack of this whenever I want something a bit sweeter. I really like the flavor, it's bready but fruity. It's also kind of one of my "safe" beers, if I'm at the store and not sure what I want, this is usually a good choice because it goes good with a fair variety of foods from fried meals to savory snacks and isn't too disgusting to drink after a danish or pastry like that. It's also a good choice because it almost always hits the spot no matter what kind of beer I'm in the mood for. It's a comfort beer for me. I wouldn't recommend if you don't like sweeter, fruitier flavors in your beer. The cherry flavor is a bit artificial.

Mar 11, 2019
TerryW from Canada

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Looks pretty good. Hazy orange amber, decent head that settles to a full film, good lacing.

North American style wheat —brittle, metallic, thin bodied. That’s overlaid by the flavour of sweet maraschino cherries. The nose is also maraschino cherries. Just a novelty beer, nothing special.

Mar 03, 2019
Jelitikasez from Missouri

3.42/5  rDev +7.2%

Not terrible, but a little cough-syrupy.
Mouth feel a little watery and soda-y, which is probably the biggest turn off.
I'm not crazy about this one, although I like the idea of a cherry beer. Just don't like the way this one executed.
Never poured it. Wonder if I'd like the color. (Picked a random rating, as the site wouldn't let me skip it.

Dec 18, 2018
JimboBrews54 from Michigan

Always a go to but always something to have on tap, this goes well with cherries and it will be a good thing to have all year round. The cherries bring out the wheat characteristics of it.

Oct 08, 2018
brewme from Massachusetts

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This used to be my wife's go-to beer. I feel like there are just some flavors that should not be paired with beers. Cherry is on that list. Cough syrup, maybe. Too sweet.

Aug 26, 2018
I_love_cold_beer from Connecticut

3.76/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I generally don't like flavored beers, but this one I can get into. Don't know why. I love drinking it on draft at J. Timothy's in Planville, CT, while I beast piles of buffalo wings....tremendous combination.

Aug 15, 2018
Mankowski from Pennsylvania

4.08/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer has a definite cherry flavor but not a sweet cherry flavor. It has just a slight taste of sweetness that is presented first and then a tart cherry flavor. It is refreshing and one of my favorites.

Jul 17, 2018
PMakowski from New Hampshire

3.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle
Looks nice, light amber and hazy with some nice lacing.
Smell is not the most natural. It smells like wheaty maraschino cherries. Very sweet smelling, it smells like cherries with added flavoring. Moderate, above average carbonation.

Tastes better than it smells in my opinion. Rich fresh juicy cherry flavor. Sweet but not candy like. It is very drinkable because it doesn't taste like beer. Like some other Sam Adams, the flavor is very intense you will probably like it or not like, hard to get in between. I love this while eating burgers on the grill. It could be better but I have yet to try a cherry beer from another company. Something i come back to from time to time when i want a sweet beer.

From my experience, this beer is better on tap but i still enjoy it bottled. Overall grade is a B

Jul 13, 2018
oldleadbelly from Georgia

2.68/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is one of those "beginner's beers". Where you taste it, experience it, and think to yourself (or maybe outloud) "There has to be better beer than this." I haven't had it in years, but recently sampled a bottle a friend offered me. The cherry aroma was eerily phony - like maraschino cherry juice was poured into each bottle. Now, that's not a terrible thing, however the taste is funky. I guess, my palate has evolved.

May 20, 2018
darktronica from Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my wife's favorites back when we were first getting acquainted with beer, and I'll still occasionally bring some home as a surprise. I haven't had one in years, though, and this is a lot different than what I remembered. Maybe my palate is different, maybe I was colored by nostalgia, but this is really sweet on the cherry in the nose. Much less comes through on the palate, which is otherwise fairly nondescript.

May 20, 2018
beersampler6 from Michigan

3.03/5  rDev -5%

I remember drinking this one years ago and it seemed decent then - but tried it again now and it’s just way too sweet for me. Nice golden-brown color, mild head with minimal lingering lacing. Smells primarily of cherry. Tastes strongly of cherry, not quite medicinal but close to it. Some faint hints of wheat, but it’s very faint. Decent carbonation, very thin mouthfeel. Just too sweet for my taste.

May 17, 2018
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

2.55/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A very strong artifical cherry smell that was hard to get past. Just lifting it to drink it the small hits you in the face and just takes over. The base beer might have been decent but again tough to tell due to cough medicine aroma

Mar 12, 2018
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. best by may 2018, so well inside the wire here.

slightly hazy yellow body, small white head leaving some lacing. light carbonation.

smells like cherry cough syrup. i do not like cherry cough syrup.

ugh. tastes like cherry cough syrup too, at first anyway. then there is a musty barnyard taste.

mouth around medium, finish initially cherry, then mouldy.

overall, barely got through a few ounces before drainpouring it. might be even worse than their cranberry lambic.

Feb 10, 2018
mvanaskie13 from Pennsylvania

2.54/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured into a grip shaped goblet: color is hazy gold/copper, head is off white with fine bubbles, good lacing on the glass and good lingering presence.

Smell is - somewhere between maraschino cherry juice and cherry cough syrup with a hint of biscuit malt - off putting for the most part but the wheat presents more as it warms.

Taste is biscuit wheat for a split second then overtaken by the cherry juice, with that artificial twang - struggling through this tasting...

Mouthfeel is bitter, sharp, and strong astringent like quality.

Overall - a beer I'm not enjoying and will have to pour out the rest.

Jan 20, 2018
Lucular from Maryland

3.34/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There is a fine line between cherry cough syrup and sweet cherry (as opposed to sour cherry) flavor in beer. To me this barely came down on the non-medicinal side of things. I enjoyed it. My wife hated it. Won't be buying again.

Jan 16, 2018
WillLyon4 from Massachusetts

4.06/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Love this one, especially when the weather turns and gets cold. Perfect beer to sip at parties. Surprisingly tasty for a beer that isn't very thick. Love the cherry flavor!

Dec 22, 2017
D1noB from Oklahoma

4.75/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Strong fruity pebbles followed by a slight wheat follow through. Cherry lingers after for a while. A great beer

Taste Rating in Words: It's being an excited child eating cereal in the morning.

Aug 17, 2017
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 4012 ratings