Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,158 | Ratings: 3,823
2.95/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle. Pours a golden color with a medium white head. Aroma is dominated by cherry. Flavor is predominantly fruity cherry, with some underlying citrus from the hops. Light bodied with a long cherry finish.

I give it a 5 because the Sam Adams taste that's in all Sam Adams beers is mild and had a good balance of cherry and wheat. It's exactly what you want for a cherry beer and for a beer in 5-6 abv spectrum I have yet to find a good tasting cherry beer other than this one. Perfect beer for a Thanksgiving dinner or pre-Thanksgiving evening.

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

L: Pours a gold color with a creamy white head that doesn't dissipate and lots of lacing.

S: Very artificial and sweet cherry, a light wheat note.

T: Very sweet artificial cherry, kinda like cough syrup. A solid note of wheat at the end.

O: This beer tastes way too artificial to me.

F: Easy drinking, light but creamy.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love wheat beers but really not a fan of fruit beers. But this beer is one of my favorite summer beers. A nice sit in a lounge chair in the summer beer.

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this a bit before I got into craft beer. I went back to it out of curiosity.
Pours a nice looking straw orange color with a big head. It's look is its best quality.
Aroma is all about cherries but with an artificial sweetener feel.
Similarly, the taste has a cherry cola like quality. Crisp and fairly light.
It is certainly refreshing, however, the artificial quality bothered me a bit. Not as good as I used to think it was.

2.74/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

They still make barf in a bottle? I keed, I keed. Pours a golden color that is lacking any notion of a pink or red cherry hue. 1/2" white head. Aroma is a blend of cherry Sucrets and grain.

Taste is like, you think its a fruited wheat beer, but you're not sure at the end of the day. The cherry is so big you start to think you're taking Nyquil or something, very medicinal strong. The alcohol seems heavier than 5%. Like sweet honey all over it, needs something to balance it out.

I dunno, SA has a difficult time when its the exotic stuff.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Medium to thick white and frothy head; hazy golden/honey body. Lots of bubbles. The head maintains a layer and leaves nice lacing.

Biscuity grain, grassiness, and a strong backbone of sweet, cocktail cherries. Yeast. It has character.

Flavor: mild; round grain; a hint of sour dough; a hint of the cherries discovered in the aroma, but not as pronounced.

Mouthfeel/finish: medium, carbonated; crisp, dry, tangy.

Overall: this is one of the exemplary flavored beers on the market today. I find this beer to be adequately flavored but not overly sweet nor does it suffer the detriment of coming across as artificial and disingenuous. This is a fine beer, I will certainly buy it again, and I highly suggest it to anyone who likes flavored beer.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A lot more cherry flavor than i was expecting, it's a little overwhelming. It was decent at first but the more i drink the more artificial/cough syrup flavor i get, which is also how it smells.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Bought from Don Quiojte $7.77 6 pack
Hazy orange-golden color
Smell of cherries strong when you first pour it
Taste of cherries is very pronounced
It is as described a cherry wheat and initially I thought it was good, but then after awhile it started reminding me of cold medicine. Would have been better if the cherry taste was a hint and not so dominant.

3.17/5  rDev -1.6%

Part of me is relieved Sam Adams Cherry Wheat doesn't have a spot of red - fruit beers that take on too much of the colour of their fruits tend to be contrived and superficial. That said, this dull, semi-clouded, honey golden appearance doesn't exactly excite the senses. And the lack of head is concerning, especially for something with "wheat" in the name.

Fruit can be frustrating to brew with; because it's comprised mainly of water and sugar, it's difficult to preserve those fresh, sweet flavours post-fermentation. It requires huge amounts (which, on a scale like that of Boston Beer Co., means a lot of money). Hence, a lot of producers (this one included) opt to supplement natural fruit with "natural flavors".

It's obvious. The aroma resembles that of a maraschino cherry jar. It's not even fruit juice - it's maraschino cherry juice. It smells preserved, sweetened, syrupy, even a little briny and has a bright, almost grenadine-like red fruit flavour that is more at home in a Shirley Temple than an American Wheat Ale. There's a hint of blanched almonds and powdered sugar too.

The flavour is equally shallow, offering only the most superficial fruit flavour, something resembling a cough lozenge or bar mix. Although tart cherries are cited on the label, the use of honey turns things quite sweet. The other components of the beer (yeast, malt, hops) contribute virtually nothing. After a short burst of carbonation there's little left but a stale, damp grain taste.

I last reviewed Sam Adams Cherry Wheat ten years ago. It is remarkable the similarity in my tasting notes and overall impressions. I'll give the brewery full credit for consistency though, as you can see, I'm not willing to grant points for much else. It may lack the eye-catching appearance but, make no mistake, this one of those purely cosmetic fruit beers.

3.01/5  rDev -6.5%

The cherry flavor overwhelms this. No off flavors, but it is hard to tell what beer is underneath the cherry flavor. Unfortunately, it is sweet not sour cherry.

Tasted this side by side with bells poolside, which accurately says its a belgian wit with cherry. The poolside uses the cherry as an accent, not as the dominant flavor, and i would recommend that over the Sam.

1.23/5  rDev -61.8%

I'm being a bit generous, this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. At first I thought someone slipped half a bottle of cough syrup in my wheat beer.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Looks like beer
Smells like cherry and wheat, actually. Some ester, some sugar
Tastes like cherry but sort of synthetically and medicinally so. Corn, wheat
A little syrupy
After a few sips it gets kind of sickening. Definitely won't be ordering this one

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Cherry in front. Cherry pie cherries and light beer background. I happen to like fruit beer because the summer beers are too light and empty in flavor so if it's summer I would go for this. Look- Nothing impressive in its pale wheat beer appearance nothing to think the cherry is real. Smell- Cherry pie filling, nothing else. Taste-dry cherry pie feeling on a light beer paddleboard. Feel-dry mouth, cherry beverage like sweetened cherries. Overall cherry is my go to fruit beer thus my higher rating but I always rate cherry beers to Founders Cerise and this one falls short. I also rate these beers on price to yum scale and this one is not as good to me in the fruit beer column as Oberon, Upland Wheat, or #9 pale or Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy in that grouping or the summer easy to find locally group. But would rate above purple haze or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Also I am not a fan of orange, apple or raspberry fruit beers.

3.6/5  rDev +11.8%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold. There is visible carbonation and a very thin white head that laced the whole way down. The nose is pure cherries. Holy cow, I wouldn't even know this was beer all there is a scent of cherry and a splash of vanilla. The taste is similar and taste very cherry yet was not overly sweet. The flavor reminded me more of a cherry candy or cough syrup. I wish the beer had a slight more complexity in flavor or another layer or something. I enjoyed the mouth feel it was very smooth while still getting the carbonation tingling against my lips and tongue.

2.08/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

So far I have never had a Samuel Adams that I liked or could even drink. Alls seem like Black label skunk beer. may try a few more or just give it up...

3.61/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a hazy orange with a creamy white head with some sediment evident in the beer.

Smells of white bread and cherries.

The taste was a strong punch of cherries with some hops present in the flavor.

The mouth feel was light with a crisp finish.

Overall I was impressed with this beer and enjoyed it, to a certain extant. I really think this could have been better with a cut back on the cherry and vice versa being on the worse side with just a touch more cherry. So with that I really must say I cannot justify purchasing more of this beer.

2.51/5  rDev -22%

Had this repeatedly years ago and had fond memories of it so when I saw a six, I picked it up. Wishing I had passed.
The look is fairly good, a reasonably good-sized white head with scattered lace. Retention is ok, at best. I expect a long-lasting, fluffy head on a wheat., not so here.
Smell was a key in memories. Cherry is very forward here with weak malt backing it up. Balance is missing.
Taste is.......artificial. Cherry is strong here, as well. Malt is more prevelant but still more of a bit player. The cherry note is reminiscent of cough syrup, very chemical in nature. Now, whether due to changes in the recipe or changes in my palate, this was pretty off-putting to me. Balance doesn't really exist.
Medium bodied for the style, effervescence is of big bubbles, not the small bubble, soft feel expected and in other wheats. Fake cherry lasts and actually gets a touch metallic in the aftertaste. I won't be buying this again.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer is very sweet. I do enjoy cherry flavor, and this one is good, but I usually can't finish a bottle unless I'm sipping it for a while because the sweetness just gets a little overwhelming after a while.

1.12/5  rDev -65.2%

I usually like or am OK with most of Sam Adams brews. This is officially my least favorite beer. Tastes like cough syrup. I always try to give things a chance even if I don't like it but no matter how many times I try this I've only made it a few sips and have to get rid of it.

Broke my own rule and drank it straight from the bottle. Definitely very cherry. Okay for a change, but not a staple. Will finish the 6-pack and move on the a new beer adventure.

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Deep amber color. Whiff of cherries and grain. Pretty tart for a beer. Took me a couple of tries to like it. Ended up liking it. Overall this is a pretty decent brew. I'll have me another please.

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this one straight from the bottle. Aroma was sweet cherry syrup tempered by wheat bread. Taste follows, with the cherry flavor coming through crisp and sweet, and not cloying or artificial. This could be the light cherry ale I've been looking for.

3.01/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is about what you would expect. Medium to strong artificial cherry flavor, but the wheat taste also comes through. Pretty drinkable, on the thin side. I'd drink it again but wouldn't seek it out.

4.7/5  rDev +46%

Sweet cherry and fine brew marry together in a harmonious blend. I would have expected a reddish-brown colour and more froth, but smell and taste more than make up for it. Bubbles are a fine fizz like a champagne instead of a typical beer. Not sure what to make of this other than to say it is an identifying characteristic. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is on my favourite list.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)