Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
3.16/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,191 | Ratings: 3,989
3.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This ain’t bad! For what it is. I’ve had plenty of highly regarded sour beers - vinegar bombs - that were less enjoyable than this. For a widely available, low ABV, highly drinkable summer brew that’s sour-sweet like a Sour Patch Kid, you won’t pour this down the drain.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I get a six pack of this whenever I want something a bit sweeter. I really like the flavor, it's bready but fruity. It's also kind of one of my "safe" beers, if I'm at the store and not sure what I want, this is usually a good choice because it goes good with a fair variety of foods from fried meals to savory snacks and isn't too disgusting to drink after a danish or pastry like that. It's also a good choice because it almost always hits the spot no matter what kind of beer I'm in the mood for. It's a comfort beer for me. I wouldn't recommend if you don't like sweeter, fruitier flavors in your beer. The cherry flavor is a bit artificial.

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Looks pretty good. Hazy orange amber, decent head that settles to a full film, good lacing.

North American style wheat —brittle, metallic, thin bodied. That’s overlaid by the flavour of sweet maraschino cherries. The nose is also maraschino cherries. Just a novelty beer, nothing special.

3.42/5  rDev +8.2%

Not terrible, but a little cough-syrupy.
Mouth feel a little watery and soda-y, which is probably the biggest turn off.
I'm not crazy about this one, although I like the idea of a cherry beer. Just don't like the way this one executed.
Never poured it. Wonder if I'd like the color. (Picked a random rating, as the site wouldn't let me skip it.

Always a go to but always something to have on tap, this goes well with cherries and it will be a good thing to have all year round. The cherries bring out the wheat characteristics of it.

2.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This used to be my wife's go-to beer. I feel like there are just some flavors that should not be paired with beers. Cherry is on that list. Cough syrup, maybe. Too sweet.

3.76/5  rDev +19%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I generally don't like flavored beers, but this one I can get into. Don't know why. I love drinking it on draft at J. Timothy's in Planville, CT, while I beast piles of buffalo wings....tremendous combination.

4.08/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer has a definite cherry flavor but not a sweet cherry flavor. It has just a slight taste of sweetness that is presented first and then a tart cherry flavor. It is refreshing and one of my favorites.

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz bottle
Looks nice, light amber and hazy with some nice lacing.
Smell is not the most natural. It smells like wheaty maraschino cherries. Very sweet smelling, it smells like cherries with added flavoring. Moderate, above average carbonation.

Tastes better than it smells in my opinion. Rich fresh juicy cherry flavor. Sweet but not candy like. It is very drinkable because it doesn't taste like beer. Like some other Sam Adams, the flavor is very intense you will probably like it or not like, hard to get in between. I love this while eating burgers on the grill. It could be better but I have yet to try a cherry beer from another company. Something i come back to from time to time when i want a sweet beer.

From my experience, this beer is better on tap but i still enjoy it bottled. Overall grade is a B

2.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is one of those "beginner's beers". Where you taste it, experience it, and think to yourself (or maybe outloud) "There has to be better beer than this." I haven't had it in years, but recently sampled a bottle a friend offered me. The cherry aroma was eerily phony - like maraschino cherry juice was poured into each bottle. Now, that's not a terrible thing, however the taste is funky. I guess, my palate has evolved.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was one of my wife's favorites back when we were first getting acquainted with beer, and I'll still occasionally bring some home as a surprise. I haven't had one in years, though, and this is a lot different than what I remembered. Maybe my palate is different, maybe I was colored by nostalgia, but this is really sweet on the cherry in the nose. Much less comes through on the palate, which is otherwise fairly nondescript.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

I remember drinking this one years ago and it seemed decent then - but tried it again now and it’s just way too sweet for me. Nice golden-brown color, mild head with minimal lingering lacing. Smells primarily of cherry. Tastes strongly of cherry, not quite medicinal but close to it. Some faint hints of wheat, but it’s very faint. Decent carbonation, very thin mouthfeel. Just too sweet for my taste.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A very strong artifical cherry smell that was hard to get past. Just lifting it to drink it the small hits you in the face and just takes over. The base beer might have been decent but again tough to tell due to cough medicine aroma

2.23/5  rDev -29.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. best by may 2018, so well inside the wire here.

slightly hazy yellow body, small white head leaving some lacing. light carbonation.

smells like cherry cough syrup. i do not like cherry cough syrup.

ugh. tastes like cherry cough syrup too, at first anyway. then there is a musty barnyard taste.

mouth around medium, finish initially cherry, then mouldy.

overall, barely got through a few ounces before drainpouring it. might be even worse than their cranberry lambic.

2.54/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into a grip shaped goblet: color is hazy gold/copper, head is off white with fine bubbles, good lacing on the glass and good lingering presence.

Smell is - somewhere between maraschino cherry juice and cherry cough syrup with a hint of biscuit malt - off putting for the most part but the wheat presents more as it warms.

Taste is biscuit wheat for a split second then overtaken by the cherry juice, with that artificial twang - struggling through this tasting...

Mouthfeel is bitter, sharp, and strong astringent like quality.

Overall - a beer I'm not enjoying and will have to pour out the rest.

3.34/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There is a fine line between cherry cough syrup and sweet cherry (as opposed to sour cherry) flavor in beer. To me this barely came down on the non-medicinal side of things. I enjoyed it. My wife hated it. Won't be buying again.

4.06/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Love this one, especially when the weather turns and gets cold. Perfect beer to sip at parties. Surprisingly tasty for a beer that isn't very thick. Love the cherry flavor!

4.75/5  rDev +50.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Strong fruity pebbles followed by a slight wheat follow through. Cherry lingers after for a while. A great beer

Taste Rating in Words: It's being an excited child eating cereal in the morning.

I received a six-pack as a gift. I drank one to be polite. I have been drinking craft beer for over two decades and this is the first beer I have poured down the drain. It's disgustingly sweet and the base wheat beer is substandard as well.

2.15/5  rDev -32%

Let me just say I cannot stand this beer and I have no idea why I tried it again. It tastes like cherry flavored cough syrup and is incredibly sweet. I would rather drink Robitussin.

3.24/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a stiff murky orange color with a wisp of foamy to fizzy white head. It tapered off pretty quick to leave barely any lace.
The aroma had some super sweet cherry juice/almost syrup to play with some sweet wheat/graininess. Light citrus sweetness at the end.
The flavor was mostly sweet through the entire drink. Wheat seemed barely there. Slight syrupy cherry sweet aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate. Finish was a touch syrupy, but somehow I accepted it and didn't think it was cloying.
Overall, for Sam Adams' beers, I tend to like their "higher end"/more expensive ones so drinking this is not necessarily one I "need" to come back to. I don't want to overly knock this one, but in reality, this isn't one I seek all of the time.

3.19/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hazy orange, long lasting foam. Smells of cough drops, cherry cough drops and wheat. Same with the taste and I like. Colour me strange. Bottle at Old Chicago, BB May 2017.

1.64/5  rDev -48.1%

Love Sam Adams I've had a varity of there beers in the past and have had plenty good to say but this one is crap. First you have have a decent lager add cherry cough syurp and boom this crap is born

3.68/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rich, hazy gold color with white cap and lace. I don't usually find hazy brews that attractive but this one has a sort of luminescence about it.

Maraschino cherry aroma wafting up from the glass. That's the scent but it comes across as a dry one without the sweetness I associate with that style of cherry.

Taste like a mild wheat beer with a low hop level and very clean yeast that left virtually no trace of having been there. Imposed on this is a rich maraschino cherry flavor that dominates the field like a single spotlight shining on the 50 yard line.

Texture is medium with balancing carbonation.

Ok, it tastes like cherry which comes as no surprise since that information is printed on the label. How much like cherry you ask? Well, a whole lot which I guess is sorta the point. These light wheat beers can be flavored with a lot of things and said things usually become the dominant taste. Same thing here in spades.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

It is just as it says....pretty much sweet cheeries and that's about it. For me that's all I needed to consider this a pretty good selection that I would buy again.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 3,989 ratings