Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Liked This Beer
3.16 w/ 3,883 ratings
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.16/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,883 |  Reviews: 1,174
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this a bit before I got into craft beer. I went back to it out of curiosity.
Pours a nice looking straw orange color with a big head. It's look is its best quality.
Aroma is all about cherries but with an artificial sweetener feel.
Similarly, the taste has a cherry cola like quality. Crisp and fairly light.
It is certainly refreshing, however, the artificial quality bothered me a bit. Not as good as I used to think it was.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had this one straight from the bottle. Aroma was sweet cherry syrup tempered by wheat bread. Taste follows, with the cherry flavor coming through crisp and sweet, and not cloying or artificial. This could be the light cherry ale I've been looking for.

3.56/5  rDev +12.7%

This is actually a very good-looking beer, an ordinary hefeweizen hazy orange with a slight, sunsetty tinge of cherry rouge. The head on top is no slouch, puffy and cumulous and white with fantastic retention. The aroma smells like cherry kringle - not much depth, but it smells nice. The flavor is tart with cherry, which dominates, but there is a sort of wheaty tang and some bready notes underneath, plus a snap of hops in the end. Nice mouthfeel with very soft carbonation and a solid dryness; there is a bit of sweetness to this beer, but the overall impression is one of balance. I was pleasantly surprised with this beer! The cherry flavor is fresh and robust, but not overwhelming.

3.56/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Golden/amber with a white head. Head that stays and laces.
S: Bitter almond, sweetness, cherry.
T: Bitter almond, cherry, some malt, some bitterness in the aftertaste.
M: Light-medium body. Tiny bubbles of carboration.

Same cherry taste as a kriek, but without the sweetness. Much drier. Wheat? Can't find it. But really what you would expect from a cherry beer. Although the cherry is really present, the taste still is that of beer rather than fruit. I like it. This one would work very well on a hot summer day. I'm impressed that he cherry taste can be so dominant without leaving a sticky sweetness in your mouth.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-slighly hazy golden pour with a thing white head.

S-Cherry is up front and center on this one. Rather pungent, even as cold as this is.

T-Astringent wheat backbone and the slightly tart cherry is present throughout. Dry and crisp.

M-Light and well balanced carbonation.

O-Decent summer refresher that is easily found. I found it drinkable enough to get another six.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale amber with a thin lacing of head. The nose has notes of cherries and very faint malt. The taste is faint malt, faint cherries, and slight yeast. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This isn't a bad beer, but it's syrupy and medicinal at times. The cherry flavor is faint, and overall, this is a one dimensional, easy drinker.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a hazy light golden amber with a fine, thin white head and light lacing. Aroma dominated by cherry juice, wheat and a hint of biscuit malt. Flavor is light wheat, bready malt and cherry juice. Cherry is not as dominating as in the aroma. Finishes dry with light hops and sour cherry, slightly astringent. Nice medium body; surprising light creaminess for a low ABV wheat beer. I liked this better than I thought I would, the initial flavor is well balanced and different. Finish is a bit unbalanced and sharp. Interesting.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
(Note: My initial ratings and my final rating are very different with this beer. On first reaction, I really liked many elements of this one but as I continued to taste and observe I liked it a whole lot less. My final ratings are somewhere between the two)

A: Very slightly cloudy (chill haze which goes away). Amber-orange. Nice color. Pours a huge bready head and leaves spotty lace.

S: The fresh cherry smell is huge. Smells like cherry ice cream, malt, and fresh Rainier cherries. A little wheat lingers.

T: Here is where the confusion starts...On the first few tastes the cherry aroma brings the initial punch but is quickly rounded out by a tangy wheat with a light bitter. BUT as you go down the glass it begins to taste a lot like cherry flavored cough medicine.

M: Carbonation level is nice vehicle for this otherwise ultra-smooth textured beer. A little chewy.

D: Hmmm...again, at first it was very enjoyable but there is definitely something in the aftertaste I am not ecstatic about. Good, I think but not something I'd go after again or drink more than one of at a time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single bottle for 99 cents. Best by June 2009.

Poured into a regular pint glass. Golden amber hue, not that much head, just a thin cap of foam. There is a decent haziness you'd find in any decent unfiltered wheat beer.

Smell is artificial cherry candies. No malt, no hops, just that cherry aroma. But hey ... this IS cherry wheat.

Taste is mostly candy-like cherry, with some graininess in the background with some very mild hops at the end.

Pretty easy to drink, the cherry isn't as cloying as I thought it'd be.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very mild fruit beer. It is nicely balanced and doesn't thrill or offend. I wish it did.

It barely tastes of wheat or yeast as it should and the cherry taste is very subdued.

It is a nice refreshing beverage, but not a profound one in any way.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

I'm torn on this one. I either really like it, or I don't care for it at all. I know, that sounds stupid, but it's what I kept thinking as I drank it. I think I was expecting a cheap artificial cherry flavoring, and what I got was delicious Michigan cherries.

It's a perfect blend of cherry flavor and wheat taste, not too much of one or the other, which some flavored beers suffer from.

It's a good carbonation, fizz, weight, and alcohol content. I think I do like this one, but I need to try some more. Which is a good thing for Sam Adams.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Appears better than it tastes. Still a solid brew and cherry flavors always make me happy.

A- Light amber/pink color. decent head with some lacing.

S- Smells like sweet cherry juice

T- Tastes more like cherry cough syrup because of the bitterness of the hops

M&D- Feels like a pale ale, but the cough syrup flavor makes it more suitable to drink only 1 or 2.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-amber

smell- very strong cherry (almost like a cough medicine) and a very good wheat and spice smell.

Taste- the cherry and the wheat have a good balance and are the strongest tastes. Hops and other spices in the background. This is a great example of a cherry wheat beer.

Mouthfeel- medium amount of carbonation with a nice body. Sam Adam's always knows what they are doing here.

Drinkability- above average drinkability. The beer tastes and smells good but its one to be drank in small doses.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Cloudy light yellow with a hint of orange. Fluffy white head that retained fairly well. Lighter carbonation.

S - Cherries, with a slight sour wheat smell. Not cherry syrup, but more like dried cherries.

T - Nice clean dried cherry taste, with a slightly sour note. Well balanced taste between classic wheat and cherries.

M - Lighter mouthfeel, average for a wheat beer.

D - Great drinkability, especially of this taste is what you are looking for. This beer is well balanced and easily drinkable. Not a "stand out" wow beer, but nice and easy to drink with some high points.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours out a slightly hazy, deep golden color. No lacing.

S: Smells like cherry flavor, faint yeasty smells, but very faint. Kind of wish I could smell more beer, more complexity, but cherry is a bold aroma.

T: Taste reminds me of cherry soda, with a slight dry finish. I don't know, I can't get past all that cherry flavoring. I can't knock this beer for being what it is, but wish it was more, beery, if that makes any sense.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

O: I could imagine this beer would appeal more to non wheat beer drinkers, and possibly could be a good intro for craft beer neophytes to the brand.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass. Part of the Sam Adams Brewmaster's Collection. Freshness date notched January 2005.

Appearance is a light copper color with some carbonation evident. Slight cloudy appearance as well. Nice sticky lacings.

Smell is ripe cherries with an overall fruity aroma.

I have had this beer many times over the years and I think it serves it's purpose. I usually don't like to have more than a couple of these at one sitting, but it's an enjoyable starter. The overall flavor is sweet cherries mixed with a dry wheat profile.

Nice to see that Sam Adams has continued to produce this unique fruit brew over the years.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 22.5% out of 100 with 3,883 ratings