Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,871 |  Reviews: 1,171
4.01/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head. Clean cherry smell with a nice smooth cherry flavor. Not sure why this has such low ratings it's a really good beer and I'm not a huge fan of Sam Adams. I try to keep a 12 pack in the beer fridge at all times.

3.31/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It is a sessionable, easy to drink adjunct beer. The cherry flavor isn't syrupy or cloying. Sure, the base beer is generic and non-descript - just your casual borderline macro - but the fruit notes are well done & not artifical at all.

3.48/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

This was a beer that I believe I first had back in the late 90s, and it was the first to make me realize that a beer can have an accented flavor. Bass had been my beer at the time, but I also liked the occasional Samuel Adams. The one thing about the beer that I love is its cherry aroma. The taste is solid but nothing special, and the feel is average at best. Still, I do like this beer.
This is the first time I've had this beer in some time, and it's a definite guilty pleasure.
It's basically as close as you can get to straddling a beer and a soda, yet it works for me.

3.79/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.94/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

Not a bad beer, for me the issue is that it tastes like maraschino cherries, not real cherries. It's very sweet but it is tasty for seeming so artificial. Very refreshing and hits the spot on the right days.

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Overall: I taste two things: cherry and wheat. So, to me, it delivers on the promise. Is it good? Not really. The problem is that it just doesn't work. It's like pickle jellybeans. They taste like you expect them to, but that doesn't mean you want them.

Hazy golden, thin patches of sticky bubbles that soon disappeared.
There's no mistaking the strong cherry smell. It walks a fine line between real and fake, but I'll go with dried cherry fruit leather.
Tastes weird. When it first hits your palate, it's like fake cherry cough syrup. A little tang. Then a mild, marshmallow- or vanilla-like sweetness rolls around, ending on a twangy wheat note.
Feels sparkly, with a little bitterness sticking to the back of the tongue.

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

2.99/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

I may actually participate in NBS (Week 615) since I plan to run through as much of my remaining Samuel Adams Bottle Backlog as possible today! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the bottle: "A flavorful American wheat ale brewed in the tradition of using native ingredients. We use Michigan cherries for a tart character and a touch of honey for a slight sweetness that's combined with a crisp cereal note and Noble hops for a bright and refreshing flavor. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

I feel the need to be upfront on this one. The last time that I drank one, back in 2012, I felt like I might have had a mild allergic reaction to it. If I need to wrap up the review before drinking the whole bottle, please be understanding.

Upon Pop!ping the cap, I decided to go with a hard pour since, as a wheat beer, cloudiness is acceptable & to be expected. The result was three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head like meringue atop the liquid. Color was a hazy, not really cloudy, Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), causing the snobbish Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus to remain on my living room couch, watching football since they go for 24-karat clarity. Nose definitely has a cherry cough drop quality! Well put, rodbeermunch! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and light, not precisely watery, but close. The taste was really sweet and I would have guessed artificial. The Michigan cherries were utterly wasted. The taste reminded me of Duncan Hines Cherry cake icing and was sickeningly sweet. Blah! It's actually giving me a headache. No wonder I disliked it four years ago. Finish was sweet, almost candy-like and not my thing at all. Man, even if they deign to CAN this at some point, I will be hard-pressed to return to it.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)