Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,879 |  Reviews: 1,174
1.45/5  rDev -55%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

1.46/5  rDev -54.7%

A- Pours a orangeish red color with a white head that quickly goes away and leaves very little spotted lacing.

S- Tons of cherries and that's about it. The smell is very odd though almost smells like cherry 7-up and very fake.

T- Gag!! This is a Sam Adams brew!! Its terrible. So terrible I couldn't finish it and got laughed at by my wife. Again taste like cherry 7-up.

M- Light in body.

D- Not recommended at all.

1.47/5  rDev -54.3%

Appearance: pours a nice amber with a decent head into a snifter (just bought a couple new glasses, thought I'd try them out now).

Nose: overpowering cherry syrup.

Taste: light taste with more acceptable cherry presence; finishes with bad syrup-y aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I am having trouble finishing just this one.

This is the first fruit beer I have had, so perhaps this style may not be for me, or there are far superior examples out there I just need to try. This just seemed like drinking seltzer with cherry flavoring.

1.48/5  rDev -54%

Picture a jar of those super red Marsachio (sp?) cherrys. That's EXACTLY what this terrible beer smells like. The taste...well it's very similar to a bottle of cough syrup.

I couldn't believe that a reputable brewer like Samual Adams would produce such a terrible obnoxious tasting beer. I was very shocked. Especially because I was having it at a Sam Adams tasting. Oh well.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

Tastes like Sam Adams with Cherry cough syrup poured in it. Not for me.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

I'm going to have to give up on fruit beers. Opening the bottle I was overwhelmed with the smell of cherry cough syrup. The pour was ok, nice hazy reddish amber color. All I could taste was artificial cough syrup cherry flavor. Mouthfeel seemed ok but this is a beer that I could not finish.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)