Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,866 |  Reviews: 1,168

2.76/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazyish orange color with a skim head that persists pretty well...slightly plastic phenolic aroma -- cherry smells are slightly artificial in the "Mountain Dew Code Red" category. Slighly husky grainy malt flavors, cherry is mercifully subdued but seeming overly sweet to my tongue. Mouthfeel ranges to the overcarbonated side for me, but finishes fairly dry and composed in aftertaste. Lacks the pithy astringency of a well-done Lambic -- but this brew is less offensive than some other Fruit Experimental brews from this side of the pond. I just can't recommend it as drinkable...

On tap @ Sam Adams RIC

Nice carbonation-bubble-bath sudsy head, light honey color

Sweet cherry perfume (maraschino) with a little pie crust-pleasant yet artificial

A little tinny and clammy with again, maraschino cherries and not a lot else-slight Pilsener-ish hop presence-a little straw malt

Bubbly, clammy-finshes better than starts

Too heavy for light style-not quite natural-better options in this space

2.76/5  rDev -14.3%

A - Hazy golden orange with 2 fingers of white head that produces some good lacing

S - Cherry medicine, a little wheat aroma hidden in there as well

T - Basically a generic wheat beer with a bunch of cherry flavoring thorwn in

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - To sweet to be enjoyable all the time. Maybe ok as a desert beer but not very impressive

2.76/5  rDev -14.3%

This is pretty much what I had expected. It pours a cloudy copper color with a nice foam head and quite a bit of lacing. Aroma is a strong (you guessed it) cherry flavor. Mild malts with a zesty cherry flavor. A reference to cough syrup isn't unjustified and definitely doesn't help it's cause. Not the greatest mouthfeel. Refreshing enough but probably not something to drink a lot of or very often. Actually, I might not get it again, the whole cherry beer thing just isn't for me.

2.77/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, apricot color, with a smallish head that shrinks even further into whitish film floating on the top. Quite a bit of lacing going on as well. It's not a bad-looking brew. Smell is definitely of cherries; it masks almost everything else. You really have to breathe deep to find the malt nuances, because that's all there is: lots of cherry and just a teensy bit of maltiness. I didn't mind the smell at all, I actually really like it.

Unfortunately, that's way more than I can say for the taste. There's an immediate metallic taste that washes over the tongue and overpowers the palate. The cherry is far more subdued than in the smell and is not balanced well with the harshness of the taste. Not really hoppy at all as there is little to no bitterness. There's a bready finish that is characteristic of most wheat beers, and I'm sure it would taste better if I could actually get past the flavoring of metal. As it stands, the coarse taste lingers well into the aftertaste and drowns out pretty much any enjoyment out off the beer. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or if this is what the brew is suppose to taste like, but I know I don't like it very much at all. Mouthfeel is decent, average carbonation that does its job.

I don't really know why anyone would drink more than one of these. Sure, it smells great, but the taste certainly disappoints. A sweet-smelling brew but terribly unbalanced taste-wise. You'd be better off with a kriek if you want some cherry in your beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

L: Pours a hazy golden color with a bit of red/orange to it. Topped off with a bubbly and thick white head to it. Decent lace and plenty of carbonation

S: Cherries and honey. That is the dominating scent to it. Bit of maltiness as well, but it's mainly cherries with a hint of honey. Almost like a sweet cereal. Not an overly bad smelling beer if not a little gimmicky.

T: Like the scent, the main ingredient here is Cherry. You'd hope so also since it is a "Cherry Wheat" after all. It does stay fairly true to the name to give it credit. It's heavy on the cherry flavor, almost to a cough mediciny degree. And not the real cherry flavor either, but like the artificial flavor of a cherry coke. Biscuit, honey, and malt are also present, but the cherry is the overbearing lead singer. Tastes far too much like a cough syrup at times. It isn't the worst combination of flavors, the Cherry is just too much.

F: It's a light and frothy beer. Very tingly on the tongue. Bitter and lingering aftertaste of, you guessed it, medicine.

O: I am so torn on this because I want to like it for the concept. It does do a few things right. There are some great subtle flavors in there like the biscuit, honey, and malt, but they are just overpowered by the impending robitussin-esque combination of Cherry and alcohol. I mean, it's not sink pour bad, but I would definitely only use it as a last resort beer at a party you didn't want to go to but are now stuck at for several hours. Bit disappointing since Sam Adams has always been one of my favorite craft/major brews, but not everything can be outstanding.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- Hazy golden with lots of carbonation. Nice two white two finger head with excellent retention and lacing.

S- Tons of cherry sweetness

T- Takes off running from where the nose left off. Cherry sweetness followed by malty sweetness. Did I mention that it’s sweet?

M- Thin and fizzy. Not as crisp and tart like I would have expected it to be.

O- Way to sweet for my taste buds, but I might have found a beer my girlfriend would like! Seems way to sweet for a cherry wheat as if it’s jam packed with cherry artificial flavors rather than the natural tartness I was looking for.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strong supporter of Sammy's products but this isn't my cup of tea. Pleasant sweet aroma the cherry is nice to the nose. Tacky feel, finish is alright. Flavor is a lost cause for me. The beer has enough malt character but the cherry just seems forced and unnatural. Slightly overdone perhaps, but I prefer cherries in darker beers. Solid effort and the ladies seem to dig it so it's not a bad beer, just isn't my style.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average, not one of Sams Adams best, not really all that drinkable. I could have one or two at the most. A little too much cherry sweetness for my palate, but overall not bad. Did smell good, however. Mouthfeel was pleasant. Not much lacing on glass.

2.78/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. The off-white head is very foamy, about 1 1/2 inches and sticks around a while with lots of lace. It smells like sweet cherries, more cherry-coke like than anything else. I couldn't really smell anything else other than the cherries. It tastes like cherry too, but it's not a strong flavor. There's a grainy/wheat taste in there too, but like the cherry taste, it's not strong at all. Not much of an aftertaste either. The beer smells better than it tastes. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, and it is easy to drink. Overall I'm not impressed. I usually like Samuel Adams beers, but this offering is very average. I'd drink it again if someone gave it to me for free, but I don't think I'd buy this beer again. There's many more beers I would rather spend my money on.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)