Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,879 |  Reviews: 1,174
3.99/5  rDev +23.9%

A heavy cherry scent over a bed of wheat base. Very nice smell.

Looks like a typical wheat ale--golden, maybe a bit straw-colored, and clear.

Tastes mellow and smooth--no bite so you can take a nice long pull; cherry flavor but not strong (I remember this from years ago being too sweet--I don't know if my tastes have changed or their beer). I like the taste of this--I'm finding it to be very refreshing.

Excellent mouthfeel as I've come to expect from Sam Adams. Very creamy and thick--excellent.

I'm really surprised by this beer. I haven't tried it in 10 years, and my memories of it were not kind. I am pleased to report it is actually pretty amazing!

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

I poured a bottle into a Samuel Adams glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Cherries and wheat with a hint of hops.

Taste- Strong flavor of cherries. Wheat malt flavors are also present along with a slight hop presence.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- A decent fruit beer. A refreshing change of pace.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a part of a Sam Adams "Summer Series" or something like that from Sam's Club a few weeks ago into a clean, clear glass. "Best by" date of Aug 2012 so I am good.

A All too brief but creamy head over a somewhat disappointing translucent yellow body. My minor disappointment is in the fact that it is not cherry in color whatsoever. It looks like a straight up wheat ale. 2.5

S I really like the smell of this beer. Having recovered from my disappointment in the color, the smell carries the welcomed smell of cherries and....well....wheat! 3.5

T Many that I know (including most recently my brother in law Mat) indicated that they do not like the taste of this beer. "It is too fruity, it is a chick beer." I differ from that opinion. I find it light and refreshing and most importantly, exactly what was advertised...a cherry wheat beer. 4.0

M Smooth and somewhat effervescent. The feel is pleasing, making this very easy to drink. 4.0

D/O Drinkability is commented on above. Overall I find this beer to be better than average and I am not afraid to say so. 3.5

Notes: I was surprised to find that I last reviewed this beer (from a tap version) 4 years ago tonight. Kind of cool, huh?

3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pours a nice looking hazy golden orange with half finger white head

s: malt sweetness, maraschino cherries, light spice notes

t: similar to the nose but with good balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness, some sweetness from the honey, biscuity finish with lingering bitterness

m: medium body, moderate carbonation

o: not much going on with this one but i don't mind it

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

About a finger of white head and a hazy blond/gold body.

Smells kinda cherry-ish, but more like cherry fruit snacks or maybe cherry soda.

Well, at least it's not cough syrup. On the cherry spectrum, it does get a bit too close though. While I've had worse cherry flavor in beer (and in fairness, it is really, really hard to do well), this one isn't working too well. It's by no means horrible, but it's not particularly good, either. Wheat is playing second fiddle here, but it's present enough to keep the cherry from being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel on the other hand is the saving grace of this beer. It's pretty thick, but with a lot of body, which both keeps it from being syrupy and from being too thin and soda-y.

Not very good, but not terrible either.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and slightly cloudy golden orange with a huge five finger white foam head that holds up pretty well. Leaves lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Big smell of sweet and tart cherries up front backed by bready pale malts. Cereal grains and hints of biscuit. Some hints of lemon zest and honey. Light hints of earthy noble hops in the background. The cherry is by far the biggest note here. It almost smells like liquid cake.

Taste: Like the aroma but with more balance. Big taste of cherries throughout. Light hints of honey and lemon. Decent bready biscuit taste from pale malts and cereal grains. Some spicy noble hops help cut some of the sweetness in the finish. This is sweet but far from cloying or medicine like.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and slick. Somewhat syrupy.

Overall: This comes out pretty decent for a fruit wheat beer. Fruits are sweet but not overbearing. A nice summer beer.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)