Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,155 | Ratings: 3,817
4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

grabbed a six pack of this looking to try something new. always a big fan of sam adams so i figured "why not?"
this is my first wheat ale and my first fruit beer so i was weary to say the least, i'm also not a big fan of cherries but i thought they'd probably go well with beer.
very nice smell poured a nice head that mostly went away in 2 minutes but a bit stayed. obviously a taste of cherries but with a very nice beer...i would love it without the cherries. near perfect carbonation. great beer to drink, only planned on having 3 but drank the entire sixer. anytime i see this stuff i'll grab one. very delicious.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Very light color in the glass, after I pour it, one thing that I must admit is that the smell that came out of the glass was amazing!, very little head and minimal lacing, the taste was a little hopsy and artificial like.

Overall if you are seeking for a "liquid dessert" this might hit the spot but not something to drink the whole night.

2.89/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

gorgeous cherry amber color with a lasting faerie ring. this beer shows off its cherry jell-o and tart candy aroma nicely for those of us who are head over wings for fruity sweets. sadly, the taste does not fair as well as the scent. starting sweet there is a bitter end that smacks of cough syrup. clean and fizzy, oh so spritely, its still difficult to take in. fortunately, as the beer warms it does relax a little adding to the drinkability, and since you won't be reaching for your glass much, its sure to warm.

3.38/5  rDev +5%

this beer is incredibly easy to drink, the taste is definately cherry, almost like luden's cough drops in beer form. which can be a plus or minus, depending on who you are. this is definately an easier drink to have but in no means is any form of a "manly man" beer, but its good, however for fruit beers i wouldnt put it in my top 10. its a good beer to try out, but after 2 the taste gets alittle too much for me.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%

When poured it had a golden carmel color with a white rocky head that left nice lacing. It has a strong sweet cherry odor and once you can get past that you actually can smell the wheat. The cherry taste was not as strong as the smell and I could taste the wheat. Not my favorite flavor. I'm not a big fruit beer drinker. I have had the boisenberry wheat from the Sam Adams homebrew collection and I thought that was a better beer. Cherry Wheat is a smooth beer with not a whole lot of carbonation. I put average for drinkability because I think it is what it is. I taste cherry and I taste wheat. Its not my cup of tea but I can see how others might enjoy this.

4.53/5  rDev +40.7%

Poured into standard beer glass, light head, and light amber color. Excellent aroma, refreshing and flavorful. Taste is just like the smell, great wheat base with the crisp cherry notes. The perfect ratio of beer to cherry, not to much, not to little. A great beer to have year round.

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer is good but there is a little to much sweetness to it. When one first drinks the beer it tastes more like a sweetened beverage than a beer. The intial taste is good but the taste flatens out when one starts to swallow the beer. Overall this is a okay beer but it is a little to sweet for a same adams beer for my taste. The cherry and beer flavor could be a little more balanced. The cherry taste almost overpowers the beer.

3.98/5  rDev +23.6%

This was the first time I had seen this Cherry Wheat so decided to try it even though I am not a big fan of cherrys. I was supprised by the nice head, slightly cream coloured. The appearace was a dark red colour smelling of a light cherry odour but not overwellming as some flavoured beers can be. It was extreamly drinkable with the cherry not overwellming, not much hops involved in the brew I suspect but too much would lend to a bad aftertaste with the cherry.

Overall I was very impressed with this first sampeling of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

3.37/5  rDev +4.7%

A nice cherry aroma but not a strong beer.
I would call this a nice summer refreshing wheat beer, not heavy and not filling. Cherry flavor is OK (but my six pack may have been old because there was a small bad after taste).
I've had these before and it's a nice change if you like the fruit flavored beers.

2.01/5  rDev -37.6%

A: Nice golden copper color.

S: Smelled like the malt was ran over by a cherry cough drop on a hot day.

T: I didn't like it at all. I did drink the whole six pack and after the first four the last two went down ok, just not what I thought this beer would be. I was looking for a lighter and better cherry flavor.

M: good carbonation not too filling.

D: It was the longest six apck ever. I would say try it you might like it. (I didn't)

4.54/5  rDev +41%

So I used to think this was just OK until I took a tour at Sam Adams, my sister had given me a goodie from her law school and apparently most of the tour guides were law students they let us stay after the tour and when they "washed" out my sample glass they poured me the cherry wheat on draft and it blew my mind. It's upsetting that the stuff outside of boston comes from a diffrent brewery.

3.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A nice bronze color. 1-finger head with very nice lacing the color of cream/bone. There is a very sweet cherry aroma that hits you right of the bat but its hard to detect anything else, there is a hint on banana. It has a very creamy mouth feel, with just enough carbonation. The Cherry, malt and hops flavors are fairly well in tune, however the cherry flavor seems somewhat over powering but it does finishing cleanly.

This beer is great with rhubarb pie or raspberry chocolate cheesecake...

3.14/5  rDev -2.5%

I had a six pack of this wheat beer. It does have a rather sweet aroma, though, it smells like cherry candy, very artificial. This beer is slightly cloudy, much like you would find in average wheat ales. The flavor is a change from the norm, and in hot weather can prove to be quite refreshing, just be sure to keep you other favorites nearby as this one has a bitter cherry aftertaste like you would find in cough drops. The palate leaves much to be desired, just serve this one cold to avoid complications. Overall, this beer is an "OK" beer that is best served cold and consumed rather quickly. Just remember this is a wheat beer and can be quite filling as well.

4.87/5  rDev +51.2%

Cherry aroma hits your nose immediately, after pouring into a pint glass...nice frothy head...first taste: sweetness of cherry hits the palate first, then a nice crisp finish. I like this beer. Can't drink it all the time, but only because my taste buds get used to it, and get jaded...I really think this is my all time favorite beer. My anytime beer: summer - great thirst quencher. Fall: great to go with any Autumn dish. Winter: well, hell, whatever holiday we're in, gimme a Cherry Wheat - it's a celebration in my mouth! Spring: a celebration of the season! I love this one. And maybe that makes my review a little less relevant, but for the record: I don't have any ties to the Sam Adams brewery. But I know what I like.

4.32/5  rDev +34.2%

Appearance: Pours an amber color, a little cloudy. Formed a thick white head, but little lacing.

Smell: Nice cherry aroma

Taste: This is an aptly named beer. I tasted the cherries as it first hit my tongue, then the wheat kicked in.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Drinkability: One of my favorite Samuel Adams beers. I can easily drink several of these in short order. Very nice on a hot summer day.

1.87/5  rDev -41.9%

I thought I'd like this beer, I guess I was wrong. The color is cloudy, the head disappears quickly, the cherry flavor is overpowering. I really had to choke this down. This is not the type of beer for me.
Maybe if I was on a desert island and had nothing else to drink, if that was the case; I'd want a pistol and one bullet.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Bought a sixer of this because my buddy's mom kept raving about how great it was. Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A- Pretty haha. Amber/Reddish-Brown, Great Looking Cream Colored Head

S- Smells like cherries and beer to say the least.

T- I wasn't too impressed by this beer. I drank 2 out of the 6 and stopped because the taste started to overwhelm me. Tasted like someone dropped a Marciano cherry into a wheat beer and shook it

M- Thick, kind of syrupy, not too too bad, didn't want to swish this around much because it kept making my mouth dry

D- Fail. Like I said, I could only down 2 of these, and I was pushing it on the second one. I like complexities, but I enjoy trying to find them in the beer, this beer was to predictable

Overall- Decent beer, not a bad idea to give it a shot. I would probably drink it again, especially if it was on tap somewhere, I bet it would be better that way.

4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

From bottle to glass

A: Cloudy dark orange with small off white head with a little lacing.

S: Strong cherries. Sweet in smell and enveloping...

T: Sweet cherries and wheat. Bright, fruity, with a sweet background. The wheat taste is there blended well with the cherries.

M: Clean and refreshing finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Crisp and clean.A great combination of wheat and cherries.

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to ignore the mostly poor ratings by others, although I admit to be a beer taste rookie. I really like this beer, but I am a fan of cherry flavor (Cherry Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc.) as well as wheat beer in general. I found the amount of cherry just right though the mouthfeel was a bit heavy. I'd definitely buy it again.

4.7/5  rDev +46%

Sweet cherry and fine brew marry together in a harmonious blend. I would have expected a reddish-brown colour and more froth, but smell and taste more than make up for it. Bubbles are a fine fizz like a champagne instead of a typical beer. Not sure what to make of this other than to say it is an identifying characteristic. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is on my favourite list.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I put this in a build your own six pack. Very happy I did. Has a very distinct cherry taste but not over done. At first drink or tastes like a Dr. Pepper without the sweetness. I think I found another summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +21.1%

I really don't get the reviews that say the cherry smell and/or taste is overpowering. I love it. But then, I love fruit beers, and this is not only one of my favorite fruit beers, it's one of the few beers I'd actually call a session beer for myself. This is a sweetish, light, refreshing brew that goes well with nearly any type of food, or is great all by itself. If you don't like fruity beers, or if you're a hophead, pass on this one.

(Edited, Jan. '07. I've lowered the rating somewhat, as I've broadened my horizons. Still a beer I like a lot, but not as high on my list as it once was.)

4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

This beer is in a nice bottle and don't let that "Don't judge a good book by its cover" idea fool you this beer lives up to its potential. This beer gets a decent head and pours a nice deep amber but not too dark. The smell of this makes one look forward to drinking it and when it hits the toungue it has a fantastic typical lager flavor but after swallowing, the cherry aftertaste makes this a spectacular beer. SA Cherry Wheat is a simple classic beer. Nothing special enough to spend hundreds on but certainly one that I recommend. This Beer, like most Samuel Adams, are good with Beef, a Steak, a Burger, etc...Try it, you won't be disappointed

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Hazy reddish gold appealing color.

S: Crisp fruity cherry aroma.

T: Distinct cherry flavor.Very nice, plesant. Maybe a tad, but just a tad too sweet. Nice carbonation. Very refreshing.

F: Medium body, creamy, finishes very clean.

D: For me this is a very drinkable beer. Hard to believe this is a wheat beer. I'm suprised I even picked it up. Didn't know what to expect but I found this to be a breath of fresh air. Very nice.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)