Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,159 | Ratings: 3,825
4.83/5  rDev +50%

This beer pours a light pale color. Aroma is similar to cherry coke and cherries in general, which isn't bad because it does live up to it's name in aroma. The taste has a strong cherry essence with some hints of wheat in the background. Again, perhaps too sweet or too heavy on the strawberry. Still a well balanced beer that I feel is worthier than other styles attempted by SA.

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Looks ok, not necessarily a cherry appearance. A little noticeable in the head. Aroma is ample.

Taste is more reminiscient of a totally different style, like a lambic or diet cherry coke moreso than beer. None of the usual indicators that this is a wheat beer either. I'd say if you like fruit, go lambic or saison, if you like wheat beers, get a normal wheat/white/wit for that kind of thing.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

3.11/5  rDev -3.4%

A-Translucent deep yellow, carbonated, one finger head with some lacing.

S-Smells like a cherry fruit snakes.

T-Like a cherry soda with alcohol. More like a Mike's Hard Cherry if a thing ever existed. The cherries are not artificial at all though and they mesh well. But still tastes like something that isn't beer.

M-Medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

O-If I had this blind I might doubt that it was beer, not a good beer, because it is more like a fizzy alcoholic beverage that the ladies like to down.

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a two finger white head. The head fades over a few minutes to give a medium amount of lacing.

Smell – Sweet cherries aromas are big and bold. They are matched with a nice bready and sugary smell which well al combined create an enjoyable cherry bread aroma.

Taste – It begins with a sweeter bready and malty flavor. This malty flavor has hints of darker frits which develop more and more as the taste advances. In the beginning there is some cherry, raisin, and plum. As the taste advances the cherry strengths at the expense f the other fruit flavors and is accompanied by a lighter brown sugar taste. At the end the big cherry with the still very present bready base leaves a clean cherry bread taste on the tongue. It a very linger and delicious end.

Mouthfeel – A slightly higher than average body thickness with a medium level of carbonation. The average carbonation is perfect as it makes it a very refreshing brew, while the body really allows those nice flavors to sit on the tongue and soak in.

Overall – With great flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and price this is one of the best fruit beers out there. It is a great balance between malt and fruit making this one fantastic and great drinking brew.

1.82/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A decent sized white head forms, but leaves no lace.
S: This smells of cocktail cherry syrup. Kind of like syrup bars keep their cherries in. Just awful IMO.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. Cherries and a touch of wheat. Pretty much cloying.
M/D: A light body that is fairly creamy. The cloying sweetness and cherries makes this hard for me to swallow.

I am sorry, this is pretty bad. Avoid at all costs.

3.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A nice limpid golden amber to copper color with a modest head and decent lace to coat the glass, Nose has a nice sweet hint of cherries, and the underlying malts add much to the appeal. Start sweet, the top light in its feel, the finish overly acidic, the hops adequate with the aftertaste dry. A drinkable beer, but not something I'm wild about, but many will like it.

3.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of the summer sampler 12 pack. Decent beer. Gold color with a medium head. Aroma just gave off a little sweetness. The cherry came through, thankfully, on the taste. Pleasantly sour. The label says it is crisp, and I would agree with that assessment. Refreshing, but there are a lot of other beers that fit that category.

3.97/5  rDev +23.3%

This is a very nice fruit wheat beer. The most dominant characteristic is the cherry aroma. It's inescapable. Nice wheat-beer haze in a deep golden color. The beer has a decent sized white head, and a pleasing balance. Not as sweet as I anticipated.

2.06/5  rDev -36%

A-Light orange...unimpressive head for a wheat

S-Artificial cherries....cherry cough syrup....completely uninviting...why they can't achieve a more natural cherry aroma is befuddling to me.

T-Am I sucking on a cherry cough drop or did I just drink this beer...nasty cherry cough syrup flavor...Not much else..some tartness on the finish..

M-Light side of medium...about what I'd expect for the style..

D-Not for me....If I want a cherry cough drop I'll suck on one....I think Sammy does a nice job with their beers for the most part but this one needs to be reworked or eliminated...

2.72/5  rDev -15.5%

I was disappointed with the appearance. Was hoping for at least a reddish tint. The smell was redeeming, smell of natural cherry. Taste is a nice cherry at first but the wheat takes over and is overpowering. Mouthfeel is great. Perfect amount of carbonation. Not a fan, would not recommend.

3.72/5  rDev +15.5%

appearance: cloudy orange, foamy head, not as tinted as i would have imagined

smell: cherry, very sweet

taste: sweet cherries, underlying wheat taste. not a particularly great wheat beer, maybe a better fruit beer, interesting at least.

mouthfeel: smooth, refreshing

drinkability: the cherry would have been too much after a couple more

3.05/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz bottle poured into my Sprecher Weiss glass. Best by Nov '09 notched on the label.

A - Brilliant clear golden yellow with non-stop carbonation bubbles feeding a long-lasting, slightly off-white head. Bits of laving cling to the glass halfheartedly.

S - Overwhelming aroma of a combination of fresh, real cherries and cranberries...but with a cough syrup feel to it too. A yeasty wheat aroma lingers in the background complimenting a mellow sweetness well.

T - Strong dry wheat in the background really holds the fort together and keeps it from becoming pure fruit. Even stronger is the tart and mouth-puckering cherry/cranberry clavor. Part fresh fruit, part cough syrup mimicking the aroma is sugary and an enigma that doesn't allow me to make up my mind.

M - Sharply carbonated, this is a light-bodied beer that's a bit slick on the palate and a touch oily.

D - The more I sip at this, the less I want to drink it. It's aroma caught me right away followed by the appearance but the flavor and mouthfeel began turning me off quickly. Not something I'd want more than one of and definitely one of Samuel Adam's weaker offerings.

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours ice tea orange with a voluminous head

Light hints of what in the nose complimented well by a surprisingly pungent cherry odor. Natural cherry, too—not synthetic candy flavor.

Bitter/tart wheat upfront, zapped almost immediately by sweet cherry that brings out the tartness. Ends on a sweat note with a pleasant aftertaste. Nice but too simple and not very beery.

A great summer drink and another solid beer from the folks at Sam Adams.

This is one of my favorite beers. Aroma is strong; cherry scent is dominant. Color is deep golden honey-amber. Flavor is malty and pleasant, with a strong cherry overtone and wheaty components. Finish is smooth and pleasant. I am fond of cherries, which is one reason I like this particular beer.

4.19/5  rDev +30.1%

This is one of my staple summer beers since I first got the nerve to drink any beer with fruit flavoring quite a few years ago. This and #9 are my never fail fruit beers. I know these in no way compare to some of the hard core european fruit offerings, and well they shouldn't. This is closer to the mow the lawn beer and they go down so easy. The color is almost straw with a hint of copper tone. The head is fair and lively, not much lacing. The aroma is a beautiful cherry blended with a bit of cereal/wheat as one might expect. It smells crisp and it tastes much the same. A light and refreshing wash of pilsner-like flavor laced with a decided cherry sweetness. Somewhat dry but also a bit watery for a quenching libation that finishes with a tasteful tartness. Nothing very complex and easy to drink many. This is my light beer, vaguely soda-esque, but it retains it's beer integrity in my book. May be too soda like for some beer fans but it works for me.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a nice copper brown with a reddish hue and the slightest haze. Thumb of head, solid retention and impressive lacing.

S - Cherry bomb. A little on the synthetic side, and almost dessert like. Cherry coke comes to mind, with sugary and sweet caramel malts coming through on the finish.

T - Much like the scent, the synthetic cherry dominates the flavour, with bready biscuit malts coming through on the finish. Cherry licorice with a bit of a bitter finish.

M - Light and bubbly but finishes with a bit of a bite. Slightly dry, but not a total turn-off.

D - This one is by far the best cherry flavoured beer I've tried, but the cherry is a little on the synthetic side. With a bit more maltiness, I think you could get over the synthetic feel this one has to it, but it's a little too strong to overlook. Worth a try, for sure, but not to my liking.

2.33/5  rDev -27.6%

Had in a bottle long before I was "into" craft beer. Had it again on tap once I entered the craft realm. Pours a wheaty, sunburst orange color, considerably hazy and basically perfectly opaque in the mid-section of the brew. Slightly off-white head is sparkly and foamy and recedes relatively quick leaving some mild lacing behind. The aroma is cherry. That's it. That's all. Just cherries. I mean, I could sit here and tell you "it has some wheat in the background", because it does, but you have to search so hard for it beneath the cherry blanket that by that point it isn't worth it anymore. The cherries smell sweet, tart, and actually a little medicinally cloying. Weird combination, right? I can't decide if this aroma is good or bad - but the fact that I must ask myself that question tells me it's probably the latter.

It hits my palate, medium bodied and heavily carbonated. And that's where shit hits the fan. WOW, the cherry presence is not only overwhelming, but it's basically the only thing you can taste. And as mentioned for the aroma, it's not a very "good" cherry perspective. Hints of the profile taste natural and real - some tartness and sweetness that couldn't be mistaken for anything but fresh cherries. However, it's like the brewers decided that it wasn't enough, and they took it a step further and added a butt-load of extra, artificial cherry flavor to push the flavor envelope of the max. Chalky, medicinal, vitamin-like. It's like, tart cherry cough syrup. Or a sweeter version of a cherry flavored Flintstones vitamin. Aftertaste has a slaughtered wheat profile, still majorly enveloped by the cherry onslaught.

Buuuh. Save yourself the trouble with this one. The cherry is just way too overdone and overpowering, nearly to the point of being undrinkable. And it's not the "fruit-lambic" kind of cherry. It's more of a "take your medicine" kind of cherry. Definitely not for me.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a very hazy dark golden color with a slight cherry reddish tint. Foam is of modest size (especially for a wheat) and fairly creamy.

Nose is heavily laden with sweet maraschino cherries and hints of wheat tang and earthy caramel malt.

Tastes mostly like a crisp American wheat beer with a healthy dose of sweet and sour cherry flavor. It is a bit thin, and maybe even leaning towards watery, but I am enjoying this beer more than I thought I would. Not sure if a six-pack purchase is in my near future, but I'll happily drink these as part of the fall sampler pack.

2.62/5  rDev -18.6%

My bestfriend went on a Sam Adams binge and bought this beer. I poured this beer into a glass and looked like your average beer. The smell was very nice with some cherry and some malt. The taste on the other hand was rough. It had a lot of cherry and just seemed like cherry soup to me. I cant think of anything good to say about the taste. The mouthfeel was average and overall I think this beer is below average. I just dont know what to say....

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half and inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of cherry cough drops, and nothing else. The taste is a little more beery, but it is still dominated by cherry cough drops. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is too much like medicine for me too like. I can't see myself drinking thins again.

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

The color is a cloudy amber with light reddish hues. Head retention isn't amazing, but it's not bad. Lacing is moderate.

The smell is undeniably cherry, though no sickeningly so. There's also the hint of wheat and hops.

The taste is more of wheat than one would expect, and the cherry is a nice compliment. I've had this one before when the cherry seemed more of a sickly maraschino flavor than natural, but this is better. There's just a slight sourness on a dry finish that seems at odds with the sweetness, though natural.

The body is fairly light with low carbonation. It's thin, but not so thin as to seem watery.

3.06/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a pale, hazy gold with a tight, clinging white head. Lacing is great, which is something I really was not expecting out of this beer.

S: A strong and somewhat synthetic cherry aroma immediately wafts up out of my glass. My initial impression is that this looks like a pale wheat ale, but smells like cherry soda. Gradually, cream and wheat notes undercut the artificial cherry sweetness, finally convincing me that I am indeed holding a glass of beer in my hand.

T: The entry is predictably sweet with notes of cherry syrup, heavy cream, vanilla, clover honey, and wheat toast following close on its heels. The finish is crisp and dry, but also rather short, with notes of cherry and wheat toast dominating.

M: Very light in body, with a crisp, dry character and fizzy carbonation. While this ale is not all that much of a revelation in the mouth (in fact, I think I could be forgiven for asserting that it feels like a soda), it is very drinkable.

O: This is a decent fruit beer, but I don't feel that it pulls everything together. The brewers at the Boston Beer Company really should have used fresh cherries only, and not included natural flavorings in this brew, as it could benefit greatly from the melding of cherry and wheat tartness that would likely result. As is, it's just a tad too sweet, and the natural grainy tartness of the wheat clashes with the sweetness of the cherries and cherry flavoring.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)