Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,154 | Ratings: 3,809
3.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

these are unkind reviews. this is actually a pretty damn good fruit beer. it pours rather plain looking very clear golden color with a small white head. smells like fresh black cherries, floral and juicy, with plenty of wheat malts and a fairly mild yeast strain. flavor is major cherry all the way through. not dissimilar to the cherry vanilla yogurts ive seen around in the groceries. its got that sort of sweet fresh fruit element that i really like, it bitters for a second and then rounds out at the end. id like so see a more funky yeast get into the mix, saison style or something, i think that would give this beer a real kick in the crotch, but its tasty as it is in my opinion. feel is light and gassy, good in summer and also with a certain holiday appeal.

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fruity brew, indeed, Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat pours to a golden color with an aroma that is decidedly cherry- like in nature, similar to a cherry soda. The foam level is okay at first, but doesn’t last very long.

Tasting this beer reveals its cherry nature even further. It is cherry all the way, but the good thing is that the beer doesn’t take the flavor to extreme levels of sweetness. There is a certain degree of tartness and the wheat base is evident, with some bread/dough notes and an overall flavor that reminds me of a bowl of wheat flakes with added fruit. It manages to pull off a certain dryness in the finish and the aftertaste of cherries remains with you for a while after the last sip.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is a refreshing brew and it makes a good choice for a hot summer day. I know that some will be turned off by the fruitiness and while I generally do not go for fruit beers myself, I find the medium body and tartness sufficient to enjoy this beer and recommend it for your next encounter with hot weather.

3.99/5  rDev +23.9%

A heavy cherry scent over a bed of wheat base. Very nice smell.

Looks like a typical wheat ale--golden, maybe a bit straw-colored, and clear.

Tastes mellow and smooth--no bite so you can take a nice long pull; cherry flavor but not strong (I remember this from years ago being too sweet--I don't know if my tastes have changed or their beer). I like the taste of this--I'm finding it to be very refreshing.

Excellent mouthfeel as I've come to expect from Sam Adams. Very creamy and thick--excellent.

I'm really surprised by this beer. I haven't tried it in 10 years, and my memories of it were not kind. I am pleased to report it is actually pretty amazing!

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

I poured a bottle into a Samuel Adams glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Cherries and wheat with a hint of hops.

Taste- Strong flavor of cherries. Wheat malt flavors are also present along with a slight hop presence.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- A decent fruit beer. A refreshing change of pace.

3.69/5  rDev +14.6%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a part of a Sam Adams "Summer Series" or something like that from Sam's Club a few weeks ago into a clean, clear glass. "Best by" date of Aug 2012 so I am good.

A All too brief but creamy head over a somewhat disappointing translucent yellow body. My minor disappointment is in the fact that it is not cherry in color whatsoever. It looks like a straight up wheat ale. 2.5

S I really like the smell of this beer. Having recovered from my disappointment in the color, the smell carries the welcomed smell of cherries and....well....wheat! 3.5

T Many that I know (including most recently my brother in law Mat) indicated that they do not like the taste of this beer. "It is too fruity, it is a chick beer." I differ from that opinion. I find it light and refreshing and most importantly, exactly what was advertised...a cherry wheat beer. 4.0

M Smooth and somewhat effervescent. The feel is pleasing, making this very easy to drink. 4.0

D/O Drinkability is commented on above. Overall I find this beer to be better than average and I am not afraid to say so. 3.5

Notes: I was surprised to find that I last reviewed this beer (from a tap version) 4 years ago tonight. Kind of cool, huh?

3.53/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pours a nice looking hazy golden orange with half finger white head

s: malt sweetness, maraschino cherries, light spice notes

t: similar to the nose but with good balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness, some sweetness from the honey, biscuity finish with lingering bitterness

m: medium body, moderate carbonation

o: not much going on with this one but i don't mind it

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

About a finger of white head and a hazy blond/gold body.

Smells kinda cherry-ish, but more like cherry fruit snacks or maybe cherry soda.

Well, at least it's not cough syrup. On the cherry spectrum, it does get a bit too close though. While I've had worse cherry flavor in beer (and in fairness, it is really, really hard to do well), this one isn't working too well. It's by no means horrible, but it's not particularly good, either. Wheat is playing second fiddle here, but it's present enough to keep the cherry from being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel on the other hand is the saving grace of this beer. It's pretty thick, but with a lot of body, which both keeps it from being syrupy and from being too thin and soda-y.

Not very good, but not terrible either.

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and slightly cloudy golden orange with a huge five finger white foam head that holds up pretty well. Leaves lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Big smell of sweet and tart cherries up front backed by bready pale malts. Cereal grains and hints of biscuit. Some hints of lemon zest and honey. Light hints of earthy noble hops in the background. The cherry is by far the biggest note here. It almost smells like liquid cake.

Taste: Like the aroma but with more balance. Big taste of cherries throughout. Light hints of honey and lemon. Decent bready biscuit taste from pale malts and cereal grains. Some spicy noble hops help cut some of the sweetness in the finish. This is sweet but far from cloying or medicine like.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and slick. Somewhat syrupy.

Overall: This comes out pretty decent for a fruit wheat beer. Fruits are sweet but not overbearing. A nice summer beer.

3.06/5  rDev -5%

The beer pours a hazy golden orange color with a white head. The aroma has a bit of wheat, but what really comes through strongly is a ton of syrupy cherry notes. The flavor is more of the same, with the sweet, syrupy cherry notes coming through up front. I also get some wheat in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

pours a translucent golden tone while yielding a 2" foamy head that quickly lapses into a collar around the glass; no real lacing to speak of. unsurprisingly, the nose comes out of the blocks with a good dose of cherry, joined by some secondary wheaty notes.

taste delivers more of the same. strong cherry presence through and through, which is blended with a background wheaty, light maltiness. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

this beer generally catches a lot of flak in beer geek circles, but to me it's a reasonably enjoyable fruit beer. maybe i'm biased from cherry wheat being one of my 'gateway' craft brews, and while i wouldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, i find it relatively tasty and refreshing - a decent summer beer.

(originally reviewed: 06-20-2011)

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Part of my mixed sampler. I know Ive had it on tap (@ Bdubds in Medina, OH I do believe).

The body is a light yellow with what was a huge white had that has dissipated into a quarter inch.

Artificial cherries like everywhere. Super candy sweet, not cough syrup (more of a cherry flavoring grenadine type thing).

I cant really get down with the taste unless Im in the mood for it.Its a light American Wheat base, but damn its got cough syrup cherry flavors everywhere. It gets more balanced as I drink it. I get more adjunct (corn) grains and less of that cherry flavor, but that cough syrup cherry flavor still stays at the forefront.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours a clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a fairly quick pace leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is mix of sweet wheat and cherry with some breadiness and just a hint of lemon.

T - Starts off with a mix of wheat and cherry sweetness. Through the middle some more grains and breadiness and a touch of lemon. The finish is a mix of cherry sweetness and wheat.

M - Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet finish.

D - Pretty drinkable. A bit thin and watery with the sweetness a bit too much. A touch like cough syrup.

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep gold color with a 1-finger white, creamy head. Pretty good retention for not that big of a head and great lacing. Tons and tons of carbonation bubbles. Very effervescent.

S - Smells like Maraschino cherries, not the natural Traverse City that the label talks about. I’m trying to pick up the wheat and hops here, but all I can get is the slightest hint of wheat malt. This thing is all cherry.

T - The taste delivers much more than the aroma. Starts of sweet with honey and cherries (real cherries this time), climbs to a spicy level of wheat malt and yeast, and finishes with flavors of earthy hops and bready malt.

F - Medium-bodied with not nearly as much carbonation as the appearance suggests, a creamy mouthfeel, and a very dry finish. Bready malt flavors linger for a little while.

O - This is an average fruit beer. It’s a average wheat beer with an average amount of cherries. It’s still pretty tasty and much better than the nose suggests, but there’s just not enough of anything here to bring it to a higher level. It’s one of the weaker beers in the Sam Adams catalogue, but definitely still drinkable.

3.41/5  rDev +5.9%

My last bottle from the summer mix pack.

Pours a light peachish-orange with some haze. Big creamy white head retains at a half finger, good lace.

Smell is quite cherry-centric but not necessarily strong...definitely on the sweeter side, reminds me of a cherry slushee with some caramel malt backing.

Taste is a little more broad. The cherry flavor still comes off slushee/kool-aid-like but not as sickly sweet as in the scent. Sweet caramel and buttery malts add a nice backbone with some light spice+chocolate going on as well. Wheat and bread appear mostly in the finish.

Pretty decent mouthfeel but high on the carbonation, a bit stinging.

Easy to see why this beer gets some hate, the cherries come off as kinda artificial, but it's somewhat well-rounded, the interplay of flavors is good, tasty in its own way.

3.18/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a lightly hazy dark golden yellow to orange in color. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a patch of thin film and a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is intensely artificial cherry with some light underlying hints of wheat.

T: Like the smell, the taste of this beer is quite one dimensional with the artificial cherry flavor dominating. There is a very light hint of wheat in the beer but it is almost cough syrup like.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is refreshing and easy to drink but not a beer that I want to have more than one in a session - it is a little too artificial cherry for me.

3.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very mild fruit beer. It is nicely balanced and doesn't thrill or offend. I wish it did.

It barely tastes of wheat or yeast as it should and the cherry taste is very subdued.

It is a nice refreshing beverage, but not a profound one in any way.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%

Very strong black-cherry-soda aroma, generally fresh wheat beer taste and feel, especially good super-ice-cold, mild cherry flavor comes through, but ultimately drinks more like a soda than a beer.

Unfortunately for me this beer presented a very strong almond extract finish that remained on the palate and conflicted with many savory foods.

Seems to be the perfect beer to accompany chocolates or a jelly doughnut.

An odd taste to be sure. Kind of reminds me of cherry powder candy...poured into a diluted sam adams.

Thats really all there is to say about it. I mean...if you want a beer that tastes kinda like cherries, this accomplishes that goal. But I can't really fathom why you would WANT to beer to taste like cherries.

Still, its passable on drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

A: Golden/orange color, with about a half finger of head when poured. lace sticks around for a little while but eventually fizzles away

S: Traverse City cherries, oh yeah the good stuff. No hoppy smells here.. little sweet malt smell

T: Crisp and refreshing, sweet cherry bite with lots of cherry flavor with a medium amount of carbonation here.. cherry bready taste and feel at the end.. finishes smooth to me.

M: Refreshing.. Not too strong but just right. cleans right off the pallet with little lingering flavor..

Overall a great beer. Drink it year round if im not in the mood for a sam boston or a wild craft choice.. Easy to find wherever you are if your in a pinch and want something out of the ordinary.

3.23/5  rDev +0.3%

A- a decent appearance here, with a golden body and a light orange hue when held to light. Some fluffy white head as well.

S- wheaty malt and sweet syrupy cherry and other fruit. The cherry is a bit cough syrup like.

T- All I can think about is cherry coke. That really is the first flavor, probably because both have that artificial cherry flavor. For me the point of cherry in my beer is to use sour cherries to add both tart and sweet flavors, which this one fails to do. It is just sweet and malty.

O- Pretty tasty but just really one note. But it has its place. Really good for the summer.

4.27/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a two finger white head. The head fades over a few minutes to give a medium amount of lacing.

Smell – Sweet cherries aromas are big and bold. They are matched with a nice bready and sugary smell which well al combined create an enjoyable cherry bread aroma.

Taste – It begins with a sweeter bready and malty flavor. This malty flavor has hints of darker frits which develop more and more as the taste advances. In the beginning there is some cherry, raisin, and plum. As the taste advances the cherry strengths at the expense f the other fruit flavors and is accompanied by a lighter brown sugar taste. At the end the big cherry with the still very present bready base leaves a clean cherry bread taste on the tongue. It a very linger and delicious end.

Mouthfeel – A slightly higher than average body thickness with a medium level of carbonation. The average carbonation is perfect as it makes it a very refreshing brew, while the body really allows those nice flavors to sit on the tongue and soak in.

Overall – With great flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and price this is one of the best fruit beers out there. It is a great balance between malt and fruit making this one fantastic and great drinking brew.

3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

Cloudy overall with a nice head in my weiss glass. Decent lacing with a lingering cover of white foam. Smell is very cherry with light wheat malt twang and a touch of breadiness. Taste is not bad with a strong dose of cherries and mild bitterness, a touch of a metallic edge that lingers in the finish . Feel is light with a nice amount of carbonation and quenching dryness. Overall a decent beer. If you like cherry flavors this is better than decent. It brings the taste and drinkability of a good summer quaffer with the cherries driving the beer bus. Worth a try either way as it kinda grows on you if you like wheat styles like hefe or wit.

3.52/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear, bright orange with a white, finger width head which dissipates quickly, leaving behind a spotty lacing.

Smell - Lots of cherry aroma. Not a whole of of other layers come through the nose.

Taste - Predominately cherry. A bit of wheat sits behind this. Not a whole lot else.

Mouthfeel - Light and undercarbonated. Could use more bite to give the cherry flavor a nice zing.

Overall - A simple cherry beer. If you like cherries, you'll at least like it. If not, then probably best to avoid. It's nothing special, but I do dig the flavor.

3.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured bottle from summer styles variety pack into Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dark golden color with three fingers of foamy white head that disappears in about a minute.

Smell: Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, slightly artificial. very little hop aroma.

Taste: The cherries don't over power the taste of this beer. I nice balance of a refreshing wheat beer with a subtle tart sweetness of the cherries.

Mouthfeel: Not overly carbonated, slightly watery in feel, pretty thin, but still refreshing.

Overall: Would definately be nice on a hot summer day on the lawnmower. Pretty drinkable, but nothing outstanding.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)