Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
3.16/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,942 |  Reviews: 1,182
3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

A-slightly hazy golden yellow color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-wheat malt and dark cherry

T- wheat malt and cherry cough syrup, little bitterness or hop presence, lingering cherry

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation

O-just can't get by the cough syrup taste

3.39/5  rDev +7.3%

Purchased along with 5 other S.A. beers in the Summer Variety Pack. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looks terrible unless you do an aggressive pour... if you do that, you get a nice head, and cherry aroma really comes at you.

Smell: I highly disagree with what other have said about the smell -- I think this smells insanely good. COMPLETELY unlike a beer, but fantastic. A full blast of cherry.

Taste: Not quite like the smell -- on the first sip I immediately thought of Cheerios with cherries. After that, the heavy taste of cherries and wheat subdued, and it tasted like a mild cherry pop, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. I could see why many beer drinkers would be turned off, but I had an open mind coming in.

Mouthfeel: As I said, it's quite a bit like drinking a cherry pop. It's still got a bit of that wheaty, beery taste, but sometimes it's easy to forget what you're drinking is supposed to be BEER.

Overall, I liked this better at a local bar that mixed it with Guinness on tap (Called a "Black Cherry")... regardless, this is still a decent beer. Like S.A's Blackberry Witbier -- and I'd figure most fruity beers I would ever drink -- I wouldn't be able to have more than one in a session. This drinks almost like an after dinner, dessert-type beer.

A very interesting beer. I recommend you try this out. As much as people seem to dislike this beer (A 70 rating on this site for a Sam Adams' beer is really quite low), I have a feeling this is one of their top sellers. I don't KNOW that, I'm just taking a guess... I feel it's super popular among women. I could be wrong though.

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%

2.81/5  rDev -11.1%

Cherry wheat should have been tasty, instead it tastes a little bit like medicine beer. Medicine like the liquid stuff my mom used to feed me when I was a kid. Once you get passed that odd taste, the rest of it isn't so bad. Maybe I just have some sort of bad association with that particular flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

2.03/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured from a bottle into a lager glass. Pours a murky gold with a one finger head, Leaving no lacing. The smell is of faint cherries and Robitussin. Nothing else. The taste is of cherries, And somewhat of light toasted barley and malt. Absolutely nothing else. The mouthfeel allows the complete medicinal flavor to come through, Seriously tasted like Robitussin Nighttime if you let it sit for long enough. Oh well, I didn't pay for it so whatever. A terrible offering by Sam Adams, Even worse than the Summer Ale.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 3,942 ratings