Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
3.16/5
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,886 |  Reviews: 1,173
4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fruity brew, indeed, Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat pours to a golden color with an aroma that is decidedly cherry- like in nature, similar to a cherry soda. The foam level is okay at first, but doesn’t last very long.

Tasting this beer reveals its cherry nature even further. It is cherry all the way, but the good thing is that the beer doesn’t take the flavor to extreme levels of sweetness. There is a certain degree of tartness and the wheat base is evident, with some bread/dough notes and an overall flavor that reminds me of a bowl of wheat flakes with added fruit. It manages to pull off a certain dryness in the finish and the aftertaste of cherries remains with you for a while after the last sip.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is a refreshing brew and it makes a good choice for a hot summer day. I know that some will be turned off by the fruitiness and while I generally do not go for fruit beers myself, I find the medium body and tartness sufficient to enjoy this beer and recommend it for your next encounter with hot weather.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%

A heavy cherry scent over a bed of wheat base. Very nice smell.

Looks like a typical wheat ale--golden, maybe a bit straw-colored, and clear.

Tastes mellow and smooth--no bite so you can take a nice long pull; cherry flavor but not strong (I remember this from years ago being too sweet--I don't know if my tastes have changed or their beer). I like the taste of this--I'm finding it to be very refreshing.

Excellent mouthfeel as I've come to expect from Sam Adams. Very creamy and thick--excellent.

I'm really surprised by this beer. I haven't tried it in 10 years, and my memories of it were not kind. I am pleased to report it is actually pretty amazing!

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

I poured a bottle into a Samuel Adams glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of white head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Cherries and wheat with a hint of hops.

Taste- Strong flavor of cherries. Wheat malt flavors are also present along with a slight hop presence.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Smooth with a slightly dry finish.

Overall- A decent fruit beer. A refreshing change of pace.

3.69/5  rDev +16.8%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a part of a Sam Adams "Summer Series" or something like that from Sam's Club a few weeks ago into a clean, clear glass. "Best by" date of Aug 2012 so I am good.

A All too brief but creamy head over a somewhat disappointing translucent yellow body. My minor disappointment is in the fact that it is not cherry in color whatsoever. It looks like a straight up wheat ale. 2.5

S I really like the smell of this beer. Having recovered from my disappointment in the color, the smell carries the welcomed smell of cherries and....well....wheat! 3.5

T Many that I know (including most recently my brother in law Mat) indicated that they do not like the taste of this beer. "It is too fruity, it is a chick beer." I differ from that opinion. I find it light and refreshing and most importantly, exactly what was advertised...a cherry wheat beer. 4.0

M Smooth and somewhat effervescent. The feel is pleasing, making this very easy to drink. 4.0

D/O Drinkability is commented on above. Overall I find this beer to be better than average and I am not afraid to say so. 3.5

Notes: I was surprised to find that I last reviewed this beer (from a tap version) 4 years ago tonight. Kind of cool, huh?

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: pours a nice looking hazy golden orange with half finger white head

s: malt sweetness, maraschino cherries, light spice notes

t: similar to the nose but with good balance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness, some sweetness from the honey, biscuity finish with lingering bitterness

m: medium body, moderate carbonation

o: not much going on with this one but i don't mind it

2.75/5  rDev -13%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 3,886 ratings