Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,852 |  Reviews: 1,164
3.06/5  rDev -5%

The beer pours a hazy golden orange color with a white head. The aroma has a bit of wheat, but what really comes through strongly is a ton of syrupy cherry notes. The flavor is more of the same, with the sweet, syrupy cherry notes coming through up front. I also get some wheat in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +32%

4.75/5  rDev +47.5%

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in their summer variety pack for $12.99 at Krogers, I have had this beer many times over the years, mainly when I first started to get into craft beer, I am not a big fan of this beer but since it came in their summer pack I might as well review them like the other beers in the pack, so lets see what I think about this beer now. Best by October. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and run of the mill, it should have some cherry's or something on it. It poured a nice looking golden orange color that was a little hazy and it looked the same when held to the light, it also had two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, no complaints here.

S- Wow this beer is really aromatic, I don't have to have my nose close to the glass to smell this beer, it starts off with loads of sweet cherry that have a pretty artificial aroma, it smells similar to the red syrup that is put on snow cones, with some medicinal cough syrup towards the end. After that comes some sweet wheat malts that impart a sweet and bready aroma with a real slight lemon aroma towards the end, no hops to be found. The aroma isn't that good there's just way too much artificial cherry aromas, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and cheap fruit juice just by the aroma.

T- The taste isn't that similar to the aroma, it's much more beer like, it starts off with a little bit of cherry flavors which isn't as artificial as it was in the aroma and is quickly followed by a good amount of wheat malts that have a higher amount of sweetness to them and impart some grainy, wheaty, and bready flavors followed by some slight doughy yeast flavors. Next comes more cherrys which are a little more artificial tasting and have some of those medicinal cough syrup flavors to them that carry on to the aftertaste with a light wheat flavor and it had a pretty light amount of bitterness. The flavor is just ok the wheat base shows up a little more but the cherrys still aren't that pleasing and they wear on me, average at best.

M- Slightly smooth, somewhat dry finish, pretty creamy, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy and slightly prickly. The mouthfeel wasn't bad, but the carbonation needed to be toned down a little.

Overall I don't like this beer and I thought that is was an average example of a Cherry Wheat beer, I can see why some people like it but to me not enough good beer qualitys shine through. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, not that smooth with the high sweetness and medicinal flavors, one is more then enough for me, there's no way I would want another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, if looked pretty nice and had some good head retention along with a nice color. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the artificial cherrys in the flavor and aroma, to me they hurt this beer and were not enjoyable. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I hate when they throw this in their variety packs, when they do it's always my least favorite of the pack, I don't recommend this beer, there's much better fruit beers out there. I wasn't impressed with this beer and never have been, but for some reason this beer appeals to a lot of people so there's no chance of it changing anytime soon. If I am in the mood for a fruit beer, I would much rather have a Short's Soft Parade, I think it's a far superior beer. This beer just isn't for me, hope the next one I try from you guys is much better.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

pours a translucent golden tone while yielding a 2" foamy head that quickly lapses into a collar around the glass; no real lacing to speak of. unsurprisingly, the nose comes out of the blocks with a good dose of cherry, joined by some secondary wheaty notes.

taste delivers more of the same. strong cherry presence through and through, which is blended with a background wheaty, light maltiness. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

this beer generally catches a lot of flak in beer geek circles, but to me it's a reasonably enjoyable fruit beer. maybe i'm biased from cherry wheat being one of my 'gateway' craft brews, and while i wouldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, i find it relatively tasty and refreshing - a decent summer beer.

(originally reviewed: 06-20-2011)

4.5/5  rDev +39.8%

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Part of my mixed sampler. I know Ive had it on tap (@ Bdubds in Medina, OH I do believe).

The body is a light yellow with what was a huge white had that has dissipated into a quarter inch.

Artificial cherries like everywhere. Super candy sweet, not cough syrup (more of a cherry flavoring grenadine type thing).

I cant really get down with the taste unless Im in the mood for it.Its a light American Wheat base, but damn its got cough syrup cherry flavors everywhere. It gets more balanced as I drink it. I get more adjunct (corn) grains and less of that cherry flavor, but that cough syrup cherry flavor still stays at the forefront.

3.75/5  rDev +16.5%

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours a clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a fairly quick pace leaving behind some light lacing.

S - Aroma is mix of sweet wheat and cherry with some breadiness and just a hint of lemon.

T - Starts off with a mix of wheat and cherry sweetness. Through the middle some more grains and breadiness and a touch of lemon. The finish is a mix of cherry sweetness and wheat.

M - Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet finish.

D - Pretty drinkable. A bit thin and watery with the sweetness a bit too much. A touch like cough syrup.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)