Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Liked This Beer
3.16 w/ 3,884 ratings
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.16/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,884 |  Reviews: 1,174
3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head.
S: Aromas of cherries prominently stand out in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of cherries, although there are some hints of wheat that prevent it from tasting like cough syrup.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is easy to drink but there's no way that I would have more than one of these at a time because the smell and taste are both one-dimensional.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

[Best served in a Flute Glass]

Poured amber-orange in color with a small fizzy head that dissapated rapidly with nice lacing. The aroma was overwhelming with cherries and a hint of sweet yeast. It tasted sweet with a very strong cherry flavor. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall nothing special, nice on a hot summer day.

2.32/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured a hazy amber gold with nice high white head but fell to nothing - not like other wheats that keep a decent strip.

A punch in the nose of cherry cough drops, not an earthy fruity cherry aroma I would expect. Bready malt is stirred up after a few swirls. No hop aromas that I can detect.

The cherry flavor is fairly subtle the first few sips - a sweetness of malt is up front and a pretty tasty bready/wheat flavor finishes up but the after taste and taste on the back of the nose/throat definitely remind me of cough syrup - a memory that does take away from the possibility of this beer.

a thin to medium body that goes down pretty smooth, but not as creamy as a real wheat beer. Carbonation is adequate for the style.

Unfortunately this wasn't what I would expect for a cherry wheat - maybe just a hint of cherry would tone it down and bring more of a wheat taste overall.

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

3.93/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Nice amber color, showing obvious signs of a fruit beer. Sweet smell, but not over the top. Head fizzles down quick. A real easy drinking beer, that seems to lack the carbonation of most beers. Pretty good out of a bottle, but better off a tap. This is a beer that goes well with a salty snack (wings or pizza). Easy to drink a few.

2.67/5  rDev -15.5%

A- pours a pretty clear golden. Slightly orange. Lacing is sound, retention is so so.
S- Smell is pretty much entirely cherry syrup. I suppose there is a little bit of wheat malt.
T- Starts with a bit of wheat, becomes intensely cherry flavor. Finish has a bit of metallic twinge to it. That metallic nature is bringing it down.
M- Low carbed, pretty smooth, moderate body.
D-Too one diminesional with the cherry. That really brings it down.

The smell of this one was of maraschino cherries and the taste followed closely to the smell. This fruit beer actually does not have that intense of a fruity flavor and it is more of a subtle cherry hint that surfaces after the Initial wheat flavor. The drinkability of this one is decent for a fruity beer and I can actually see myself drinking a whole case in one sitting. The mouth feel is also a nice cool refresher of a feel.

All in all this is one of the better fruit beers I have tried, and I usually pick up a case of these on a nice hot summer day.

3.77/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a crisp clean yellow color

S-Has a very stong cherry smell

T-Tastes like eating a jar of cerries

M-light bodied with good carbonation

D-This is very drinkable if you love cherries. I like cheeries but don't love them. With this had alittle more boozey flavor. Overall a good beer but too much cheerieness

3.52/5  rDev +11.4%

Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat is a good summertime beer.

Pours a bright golden color.

Smell is what's advertised: cherries.

Although there's an abundant amount of cherries involved, the beer is well-balanced. The cherry flavoring doesn't take over the beer.

Nice drinking beer with a steak on the grill.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass
(Note: My initial ratings and my final rating are very different with this beer. On first reaction, I really liked many elements of this one but as I continued to taste and observe I liked it a whole lot less. My final ratings are somewhere between the two)

A: Very slightly cloudy (chill haze which goes away). Amber-orange. Nice color. Pours a huge bready head and leaves spotty lace.

S: The fresh cherry smell is huge. Smells like cherry ice cream, malt, and fresh Rainier cherries. A little wheat lingers.

T: Here is where the confusion starts...On the first few tastes the cherry aroma brings the initial punch but is quickly rounded out by a tangy wheat with a light bitter. BUT as you go down the glass it begins to taste a lot like cherry flavored cough medicine.

M: Carbonation level is nice vehicle for this otherwise ultra-smooth textured beer. A little chewy.

D: Hmmm...again, at first it was very enjoyable but there is definitely something in the aftertaste I am not ecstatic about. Good, I think but not something I'd go after again or drink more than one of at a time.

3.49/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Red Lobster Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a light straw color, a bit lighter than some typical wheat beers. On top of the beer a 2-fingered pillow of head gently rests, with moderate retention. A slow, steady stream of carbonation rushes to replenish the head in vain, and as the head dwindles, it takes most of the lacing with it, only leaving a few scattered globs. Almost completely clear as well, which was surprising given the name.

S - The smell really does exude a ton of cherries, but in a candied type of way, not tart or sour at all. The first impression I get is cherry-flavored Fun Dip, almost medicinal. After the cherry subsides, there's a hefty grain bill chock full of cereal and biscuit that really balances it.

T - The taste starts with a rush of sugary cherry and honey before quickly being replaced by the aforementioned malts and grain. The sweetness from the cherries and honey linger and are present in the finish, but for the most part this is almost all grain. The wheat is almost completely absent as I can't really place any wheat characteristics besides ... the grain.

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with good carbonation. The finish is moderately long and full of sweet cherries.

D - Drinkability is moderate. For how light this beer is, it is actually pretty filling and it took me a while to finish. The cherry flavor is refreshing at the start but turns a bit for the worse as it warms.

3.21/5  rDev +1.6%

I tried this beer with high expections considering it is sam adams.
I was unable to finish a six pack because it became to filling and the taste becomes overwhelming to me.
It is probably the amount of (cherry wheat flavoring ) that is in the beer. If it was a bit lighter then it might be improved.

Pours a cloudy peachy color, and yes, I did shake it a little. It's a wheat beer, you can do that. Vibrant color despite the fog/haze/cloud. Nice. The head is snow white and half an inch thick.

Glad I like cherry...love it actually...because the nose is all sour cherry, in a very good way. Yet, it covers up any other beer-like aromas that may be waiting to bust through. It's like I'm smelling a big piece of fresh cherry taffy instead. Hard to dislike though.

Unfortunately does not taste as good as it smells. Cherry is here, but smothered by an awful plastic character, chased by a medicinal component. Wheat is detected, but it's dead on arrival -- kinda flat and kinda stale, wheat-wise. Some other fruit tastes come in, a little bit of banana, pear and peach, but they're faint. It's more like a poor-tasting soda pop than a beer. Wouldn't even get a good taste score on Soda Advocate. Can't really get much out of this beer, taste-wise. Kind of a directionless mess.

Soda-like in texture too, very bright, very effervescent, very tingly...a little much.

Despite the gripes, it's drinkable enough for me, as I like cherry and I feel like the cherry here is natural-tasting enough. It's the other traits that bother me. This really drinks more like a soda than beer.

3.65/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass (out of a bottle/6 pack)

A: Light amber, (mostly) clear, average looking

S: You can smell the cherries in the aroma, but not too much else

T: Tastes like a light beer with cherry flavoring, a bit underwhelming in general but an average fruit flavored beer

M: very light mouthful, decent for the style

D: this is a beer, however, that you could drink multiple of in one sitting, only ~5% ABV and the beer goes down easy

Overall not one of the favorite offerings from Sam Adams, but a decent beer that I come back to every now and then when looking for a fruity beer

3.52/5  rDev +11.4%

A: The beer pours an amber color with a short lived off-white head to go with it.

S: Smells like cherries, big time cherries. It's pretty much like a jar of maraschino cherries, but it's enjoyable. The more I smell it, the better I like the cherry character that's there. Not really much else going on in terms of the aroma.

T: The cherry flavor is nowhere near as prominent as the cherry aroma, but it is there. There is a surprising creaminess and an almost vanilla flavor. Sweet wheat and bread are actually noticeable on the palate.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation that is nice and smooth.

D: I guess I wouldn't be pounding down a 12 pack of this, but it's not a bad beer to have once every so often.

2.8/5  rDev -11.4%

From random notes: Pours a slightly hazy dark golden with a small but lasting white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of cherry cough syrup and light notes of wheat. Taste is the same as aroma. Medium thin mouthfeel with a mild amount of bitterness. Like drinking watered down cherry cough syrup. Not a good beer for me.

3.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Wispy, fizzy head, that continues to stick around due to the active carbonation. Light amber in color. Not quite as hazy as I would expect a wheat beer to be.

S: SWEET! Cherries and more cherries. But not like a real cherry scent, it is too sweet smelling for that. Almost like an imitation cherry flavor. Nonetheless, if you like cherries you will like the way this beer smells.

T: As expected, more cherry, but the taste is the first time that I actually detect that this is a beer. I couldn't smell anything beer-like, but with the first taste I tasted cherry up front, followed by just the right amount of wheaty maltiness to bring this beer back to reality.

M: Nice carbonation. Clean feeling.

D: I really like this beer, and it is easy to drink. That being said I normally don't drink more than one these at a time. I think the sweetness can be a bit too much.

This was my last Cherry Wheat left, and probably will be the last one that I'll have for quite a while. This has been a beer that I have almost always kept on hand, however I think that there are probably better options out there. While I won't be buying anymore in the near future, I certainly wouldn't pass one up if it were available.

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Deep brown gold, a bit muddy, but with a distinct reddish purplish middle hue in the middle of the glass, making faint lemon yellow to the fine edges. Solid and fairly opaque, but there is some transparent carbonation. Head is about two fingers with a nice creamy white appearance. Slowly settles down.

Aroma is straight up cheap neon red cocktail cherries. Real sweet smelling and dominant. Not much wheat or malt sensing character since this is so large and dominating everything on the nose. There are no off flavors at least so it still manages an average score on the aroma.

Palate is not what I remember. This has a real wet seltzery quality to it, and a real flattened malt character. There's an off putting bitterness on the finish and some metallic notes as well, which are really evident on the aftertaste. Repeated sips are not helping me enjoy this more, even much of the sweetness and cherry flavor which hits your nose like a fist to the face, doesn't seem to even come up on the palate very much. Weird body to this as well.

Surprisingly, had this on tap and preferred it more years ago, not by much, but I just can't get into this at all. So much for the re-run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old review Feb 2nd 2011

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

Since I didn't pour it myself, head is barely a finger of white but manages to leave a simple collar throughout while drinking. Body is fairly clear and clean of a simple light gold with some visible carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Bouquet is an overly dominant smell of supermarket from the jar artificial neon red maraschino cherries. The fake stuff, not real cherries. No biscuit aroma, no hops no nothing. It's an overwhelming artificial smell as if you just cracked open the lid. Since it's named Cherry wheat I give it props, but since I hate fake cherries with a passion, I am also not pleased therefore it gets middle of the road for smell.

Taste. Overall not too bad, the biscuit and bread isn't really in the taste until you swallow then there's a bit of bread chew on the swallow. Body is very solid and not too wet either. It is once again overwhelmingly a fake cherry fruit and very sugar sweet.

If that cherry "type" of smell and taste is your thing you'll love this beer. For me though it isn't that great cause I prefer real fruit taste and this isn't it. But it does have characteristics of a solid wheat ale almost and that makes it at least drinkable.

Old Rating: 3.5, 3, 3, 4, 3 - 3.13.

Pours a hazy amber red body. The only thing i'm going to enjoy about this review because i've had this before and i'm pretty sure this particular bottle isn't going to change my mind. Anyway, hazy amber red body which I actually, with a white fizzy head that soon fizzles away to thin lace.

Smells like robatusin or some kind of artaficial cherry extract.

Taste's worste than it smells. I can't taste anything other than carbonated cherry flavored cough syrup. Pretty rough.

Mouthfeel sucks. Just like being forced to take some cough syrup, you scramble for a cup of water to wash your mouth out. I hate this beer. I don't throw around the work hate too often but I hate this beer. Don't ever drink this.

1.99/5  rDev -37%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. It pours a light copper color with about one finger's worth of head that. Leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of cherries. Sweet, tart cherries and it's too strong for my liking. Some nice wheat smells come through at the end, but it's hard to reach them through all that cherry.

Luckily, the taste is not quite as cherry-centric as the aroma, but it's still too sweet with cherry for my liking. It does have a decent wheat beer taste to it, but in my opinion it's just too sweet.

Does have a decent mouthfeel with good carbonation and the nice wheat feel to it.

I'll be the first to admit that fruit beers are not usually my thing so it would be something special for me to want to continue drinking one. I am not sure I could force myself to drink another one of these.

2.73/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep reddish orange color. One finger white head that shows medium retention. Web style lacing on the sides of the glass with a lot of it flaling back into the beer.

S- Wheat aroma comes in the front of the nose with a light bready tone as well. Tart cherries come through next which are a little off putting to be honest. Light grainy underbody to this beer with hint of fruity darker malt.

T- Boat load of a fake cherry flavor from the get go. I mean a lot. This kind of overtakes most of the flavor of the beer. Middle of the beer has some darker fruity malts. Wheat comes in the ending of the beer with a medicinal alcohol flavor. The alcohol is a little off putting to be honest.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light for the beer I thought. Cherry flavors and some light wheat flavors left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly cherry, medicinal alcohol, and light wheat. Flavors were a little off putting with cherry dominating everything. No real off flavors besides the medicinal alcohol taste. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is a little more off putting than great tasting. Alcohol in this is more than enough and lingers well into the aftertaste. The ABV is low enough to enjoy but the alcohol and fake cherry taste I can not get past.

4.04/5  rDev +27.8%

Nice. This is one of favorite everyday beers. It has a nice light/medium golden color with light haziness. The scent is evidently noted with cherries. I love this scent. I personally find that it's not overwhelming or too sweet a smell. The taste was at first a bit disappointing because I expected a much sweeter beer, but as I continued to drink, I realized that I really enjoyed the beer because the cherry scent lingers in the mouth and nose. It's not too sweet or bitter. It has a good balance. It has medium carbonation, which gives it a good mouth feel. Bottom line is that it is highly drinkable.

GRADE: B+/A

2.73/5  rDev -13.6%

#65. Yet another Samuel Adams. Strange summery find for the current winter season, this beer is very hit-or-miss depending on whether you like cherries in your face or not. The beer is quite predictable in a way. It was very, very interesting to say in the least.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a three-finger depth fizzy head. Retention is average; it's dying rather quickly but holds off for some time at the surface, leaving behind a mat of foamy cover and some sticky lacing draping the sides. Color ranges from some medium golds to some pumpkin orange tones. The beer is super cloudy, clearly unstrained. I see very little carbonation action going on in here; if there is anything, it's too small to see. Nothing groundbreaking, but it could look far worse. 3.5

(Smell) Very sweet cherries. They're easy to pick out too, as they are the most dominant smell in this beer. It is harder to tell whether this cherry scent comes from the real thing or rather some less-favorable syrupy grenadine added into the mix during the brewing process. Beyond the cherry scents are some medium basic wheat tones which fortunately come through in discernible numbers. That's the essentials; it pretty much alludes to its name well. Not much else in here to touch on. No hops, spices nor extra grains. A basic but by no means atrocious aroma. 3

(Taste) The continuation of cherry rules the entirety of the drink. Straight up I get some cherry tart that seems genuine that blends into a wheat mesh with some artificial, nearly cherry, maybe black cherry kool-aid flavor (certainly far from authentic), followed by a mellow cherry bomb that drags onward for some time. The lingering finish is reminiscent of cherry based fruit snacks in obscene quantities. Pleasant perhaps only on select days, this is almost too cherry heavy for me. While the wheat makes it's presence known, the balance is too far off. I'd have preferred to see the roles of the cherry and the wheat reversed for something far more subtle. The taste is becoming tedious and more challenging to endure as I progress on. My biggest concern is that it is the general sweetness of the brew, which is really over-the-top. Hoping for a revamp that brings the sweet taste down several notches and throws some tart genuine cherry, some extras and maybe more wheat presence. Cherries anyone? This might just be your beer. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) A light-medium body blend. Awkwardly smooth, almost flat. There really should be more action going on, possibly some tartness or bitterness pulling at my tongue... but almost nothing comes forth. Very smooth and easy to drink, but paired with the already droning super sweet cherry taste, it's only multiplying the hit-or-miss effect this beer may have on its consumers. 3

(Drinkability) For its light body and fair ABV it is pretty drinkable in larger quantities, but that barely overshadows the superiority of the cherry bomb that may immediately turn the drinker away. It's really a consumer-to-consumer basis for determining whether this is something worthy of a second round. It tastes borderline like a soda with grenadine. In my case, I'm somewhat glad I have just one; I don't think I could handle another. 2.5

Verdict: Best taken with a grain of salt... or a basket of cherries, I suppose. Nothing subtle about this beer, it's very straightforward. What you see on the label is what you get in the taste, which is pretty nice if you enjoy predictability. The overall super sweet taste was a turn away for me in addition to the lack of any complexities that might distinguish this beer from... Cherry Coca-cola and some wheat. Don't get me wrong; Definitely worth a go no matter who you are in the beer field, but I found several notable flaws that will make it difficult for me to return to this beer anytime soon. C (2.85)

3.38/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a golden brown with a nice white head and decent lacing. Lots of cherries right off the bat, the wheat aromas take a backseat. Taste pretty good, once again, lots of cherries. The wheat characteristics come more into play in the taste. Pretty sweet flavors, but not over the top. Mouthfeel is creamy, but slightly thin. I wish there was more body to it. Drinkability isn't bad, the flavors will keep you coming back, but the sweetness can take its' toll. Tasty and intersting beer.

This is a beer that I feel is below me, but it really is good! Sometimes I'll tell myself this beer isn't anything special, but it kind of is. Definitely one of Sam Adams' better year-round offerings.

2.81/5  rDev -11.1%

The only two good things I can say about this beer are that it has a nice amount of wheat in it and it has a decent color. I hate beers that skimp out on the wheat when they say they are in fact wheat beers. This beer does not skimp out, but that's about all it has going for it. The taste and the smell are just bombarded with cherry's, the taste even more than the smell. It's almost to the point where you don't want to drink it, but at the same time it's just cherry's, so it isn't THAT horrible. It just didn't really taste like much of a beer, more like a cherry soda. Just not a very good beet in my book.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 22.6% out of 100 with 3,884 ratings