Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,158 | Ratings: 3,823
4.11/5  rDev +27.6%

Pours from the bottle amber yellow with sweet Cherry and Wheat smell. Has a very nice fruit cherry flavor not to sweet. Feels good in your mouth refreshing mild. Can't drink to many gets a littel sweet but is very drinkable for having two or three! I do not like real fruity Beers that much but I like this one all the way will get it again.
Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Its Food-!

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

A: Golden/orange color, with about a half finger of head when poured. lace sticks around for a little while but eventually fizzles away

S: Traverse City cherries, oh yeah the good stuff. No hoppy smells here.. little sweet malt smell

T: Crisp and refreshing, sweet cherry bite with lots of cherry flavor with a medium amount of carbonation here.. cherry bready taste and feel at the end.. finishes smooth to me.

M: Refreshing.. Not too strong but just right. cleans right off the pallet with little lingering flavor..

Overall a great beer. Drink it year round if im not in the mood for a sam boston or a wild craft choice.. Easy to find wherever you are if your in a pinch and want something out of the ordinary.

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

Don't know what it is but I really enjoy this beer. It is very refreshing with a nice blast of cherry but not overwhelming. It is a great summer/fall beer. Has a nice wheat/ale underlying taste. Not like a regular wheat beer but a definite light taste. Would go great with the right meal.

4.1/5  rDev +27.3%

A- Poured into a weizen glass, resulting in a nice thick 1 finger head that remained for quite a while, but slowly recedes into a thin cap. The beer is slightly cloudy with only the lightest bit of sediment.

S- Huge fresh cherries on this one. I was expecting a fake puree smell, but have to say, this was pretty fresh to me. I also get on the tail end of the nose a light wheat yeastiness, although small.

T- Initially I get a wheaty cherry component that is a touch light but in good balance with the beer. The finish on this is still a nice fresh cherry that isn't really overpowering, but just right. This is one of those that doesn't take much thought about drinking because it's got the cherry sweetness and a light wheat backbone. I find it to be in good balance, and although sweet in spots, doesn't resemble a cough drop like I feared it would.

Mouthfeel - mouthfeel is low/low-med carbonation that works well with the style and makes is quite drinkable. The cherry finish is very tasteful as well.

Drinkability- I enjoyed this brew and can see myself drinking this again in the future, no problem.

4.09/5  rDev +27%

Color was a golden color with a extremely small few fruit zests present.

Smell was all cherry with a hint of vanilla.

Taste is almost all cherry. It is strange, the flavor of cherries is so powerful but compliments the flavor very nicely. A faint taste is present (maybe honey?).

It is for all intensive purposes an average beer with a pleasant cherry taste.

I am giving this beer a better review than I think I should. Mainly because I think it will fill a good void of giving me the drink I need when I am not in the mood for a stronger beer. It is very drinkable for one or two bottles.

4.09/5  rDev +27%

This is by far my favorite Sam Adams varietal. Look is an expected unfiltered wheat. The cherry essence is very prevalent in the aroma; it entices you to the best part, the taste!
The blend of cherry and wheat beer is a perfect balance when you're looking for a good, honest, fruit-forward beer.

4.09/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Weizen

L: light Amber with a small white head, small lacing on sides

S: CHERRIES , yum, and vanilla

T: cherry and grass, small hop bite with a slight sour aftertaste

F: small sting from the carbonation but a very smooth finish

O: this is a nice end of the day beer that I could easily keep in the fridge for that "I want a beer" moments

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Apprarance: Cloudy golden. Billowy off white long lasting head. Tiny effervescent bubbles

Smell: Whoa. Lots of cherry aroma. Also picking up some mild noble English hop aroma. Nice combo

Taste: Cherry up front, bitterness in the middle working well with the twinge of carbonation, finishes really malty. Nice beer.

Mouthfeel: feels light bodied. Carbonation is nice with the bitterness.

Drinkability: Good transition beer. Can drink a few of these and not feel too weighted down. Nice job.

Appearance: A sensational amber color

Smell: Light sweet cherry smell. This beer had an exception aroma to it

Taste: You could definately taste the cherries, but not overpowering. Perfect for a warm day

Mouthfeel: Somewhat dry and fruity, deliciouso!

Drinkability: I do love the taste of cherries and somewhat fruity beers. On a hot day could probably put down a few of these.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Medium to thick white and frothy head; hazy golden/honey body. Lots of bubbles. The head maintains a layer and leaves nice lacing.

Biscuity grain, grassiness, and a strong backbone of sweet, cocktail cherries. Yeast. It has character.

Flavor: mild; round grain; a hint of sour dough; a hint of the cherries discovered in the aroma, but not as pronounced.

Mouthfeel/finish: medium, carbonated; crisp, dry, tangy.

Overall: this is one of the exemplary flavored beers on the market today. I find this beer to be adequately flavored but not overly sweet nor does it suffer the detriment of coming across as artificial and disingenuous. This is a fine beer, I will certainly buy it again, and I highly suggest it to anyone who likes flavored beer.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

I bought a 6-pack of this at Woodman's in Janesville, WI in fall 2010 for about $7.

I like the taste of cherry and taste of wheat beer so this was a must try for me. It pours a cloudy golden color with a heavy smell of delicious cherries. Upon tasting there is first the taste of cherry, not too strong but not too wheat either. I was then left with wheat as an aftertaste. Overall I thought it was very nicely blended and tasted quite nicely.

Poured into wisky glass.

Appearance cloudy light straw copper. Smell is a burst of cherry. Maybee a hint of wheat but the cherry dominates. Taste is an immediate burst of cherry followed by a wheaty finish. There is a decent head with lacing. The beer is thick and would be ideal for an after dinner drink. Not my favorite by any means but is great twist to a fruit/vegie drink.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Pours pretty clear, light amber with a small head which soon becomes nothing. Aroma is strong cherries....kind of like maraschino cherries. Mouthfeel is very smooth and pretty light. Cherries come through strongly in the flavor of course, with some sweet maltiness as well. Just a touch of hops shows up in the finish. This is a very sweet beer, but it doesn't seem overly sweet to me. It's a very enjoyable beer, perfect for summer nights.

This beer has been a staple in my fridge for about 4 summers now. It has sweetness but still stays refreshing. I don't think the cherry flavor is overdone either.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This a great beer but its not a great pour or have a good head. The aroma is very strong of cherries.

Its taste very much like cherries, I like having this beer as a chaser after something strong, but its not great after food.

4.06/5  rDev +26.1%

This brew pours into my pint glass a golden color with fair clarity. A white head developed but rather quickly diminished into a thin, but long lasting skim. The aroma of the beer was no surprise, cherries, actually smelled like maraschino cherries; the smell was dominating and powerful, but pleasant. There were no real strong malt or hop aromas. The flavor is a little bit of graininess and wheat taste and a lot of cherry. The hop bitterness combined with any acidity from the cherries gives the beer a nice balance. By the smell I expected an overlysweet brew, but found something more balanced than I expected. No real hop flavor to speak of, but that was expected. The carbonation was moderate, body was medium-full, and had a nice smoothness. Overall I thought this beer was great. The handful of times I've entered the fruit beer realm I often left unsatisfied, but this one is a keeper. The aroma is wonderful, especially if you like maraschino cherries (which I do). The flavor was much more balanced and beer-like than I expected with the powerful cherry aroma. The beer was also quite smooth and finished with just about the perfect amount of tartness.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

12 ounce bottle with enjoy by date of Oct. 2011. It was poured into a weizen glass. The pour yielded two fingers of foamy head. Retention is moderate. Small patches of lace stick to the glass. The beer is golden and mildly hazy with a barely noticeable pink tint. Up close, a lot of carbonation can be seen rising to the top of the glass.

The aroma is loaded with cherry but it is unlike any aroma that I've smelled from other cherry beers. Whereas most cherry brews give off a tart aroma, this beer gives off a very sweet, almost maraschino cherry aroma. It reminds me of cherry ice cream. It doesn't smell natural, but it is alluring.

The flavor profile is wonderfully soft on the palate while remaining substantial. Sweet cherry flavor is dominant on the front end in a manner similar to the aroma. The malt profile tastes a bit unconventional but compliments the cherry flavor wonderfully. The wheat portion has been jacked up but it creates a mellow flavor that is very smooth. There is a biscuity flavor in the finish, and a mild hop bitterness remains in the aftertaste.

This is a really nice feeling beer in the mouth. I would still call this light bodied, but it certainly feels heavier than what I would associate with a wheat beer. The carbonation is moderate to high but the feel is surprisingly creamy, especially for a beer this light.

They don't really come much more drinkable than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. It is sweet, mellow and wonderfully balanced. Though it's a pinch high in alcohol for extended sessioning, the virtually unnoticed 5.3% ABV makes it easy to put a couple down the hatch in a sitting. That's ideal as this beer is more of a special treat than a daily driver.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
Most days I'd give two Schlitz for Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

Looks light, golden brown, and smells like cherries.

The taste is sweet sweet sweet. I remember having this beer as a kid, long before I enjoyed heavy or hoppy beers, and loving it. It tasted to me like a smooth fruit drink, and today it still reminds me of that.

It goes down like water, making this a beer to drink a steamy summer day, when you're too hot to really pay too much attention to what you're drinking.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apple cider-esq pint with a 3/4 oatmeal colored finger head that doesn't have the greatest of retention.

Smell: Unmistakably cherry in the aroma, might have a bit too much even that nothing else can really work its way through.

Taste: The flavor tastes much like what you would expect, there isn't much of a surprise. It is heavy on the wheat and tastes like its cherry flavored; think hefeweizen with cherry syrup. The good thing is that is doesn't taste like cough medicine but then again it doesn't strike me as if there are real ones either. Somewhat artificial but not sickeningly so.

Mouthfeel: Thick and fluffy and definately sticks around long after you've swallowed. It's a medium bodied brew overall but quaff it fast or the prominent cherry will turn medicinal.

Drinkability: Surely could throw back a few on a brisk evening because it warms you up and isn't light.

Overall: If this style is your thing then youll truly enjoy, if not.. well why are you considering.

A: Appears dark yellow, almost an Amber
S: Cherries galore...
T: Taste is good, a little overwhelming if you are not a cherry fan.
M: Smooth, yet not over done.
O: Not a bad choice on a cold night eating BBQ

Thoughts: While I am generally not a big Samuel Adams fan, I have been trying these out of respect to my fellow connoisseurs. So say this is one of the best, other wont touch it. As I do BBQ using a cherry wood, this helped bring the taste out a bit more. Nice combo...

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%

This is a very fruity beer with a powerful scent of cherries. It has a rich flavor of wheat malt and cherries noticeable in every sip. It's taste would best accompany a cooked sandwich or hamburger being sweet and fruity. The feel is bubbly on the tongue. It is an ok beer but not one I'd drink more then one of in a sitting.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%

Nice. This is one of favorite everyday beers. It has a nice light/medium golden color with light haziness. The scent is evidently noted with cherries. I love this scent. I personally find that it's not overwhelming or too sweet a smell. The taste was at first a bit disappointing because I expected a much sweeter beer, but as I continued to drink, I realized that I really enjoyed the beer because the cherry scent lingers in the mouth and nose. It's not too sweet or bitter. It has a good balance. It has medium carbonation, which gives it a good mouth feel. Bottom line is that it is highly drinkable.

GRADE: B+/A

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%

This is my first review and also the 1st fruit/vegetable beer I've tried. One of my friends told me how much he liked fruit/vegetable beers so when I saw this at my grocery store I had to give it a try. It poured a nice golden color with a small white head. First thing I noticed was the smell of cherries. I wasn't sure what a fruit beer should taste like, but the sweet taste of cherries was very pleasant. There was a slightly bitter aftertaste but an overall smooth finish. This was very different than any other beer that I have tried, but it was a good different. I don't think this will be my favorite style, but it was a welcome change and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.04/5  rDev +25.5%

Medium amber color with a good lace. Very strong pleasant cherry smell. Taste is quite mild with cherries and a little bit of malt, but nonexistant bitterness. It goes down very smoothly. A good refreshment that would complement milder foods or good on its own.

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

A: a bright peach colored amber and slightly cloudy.

S: sweet and fruity. hints of cherry and spice

T: tangy, slighty sour cherry a first. the cherry is replaced with a wonderful malty flavor that turns into a nutty aftertaste that hangs on until you sip again.

M: refreshing with plenty of carbonation

D: I have had this beer many times in bottles, but never on tap.. let me tell you, it's a whole new beer. in bottle form I can do one or two, on tap I could drink all day. this beer proves why draght is better.

4.03/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance 4.5: Nice redish golden color, with an initial finger width of head, with fairly standard head retention and moderate lacing. Overall very nice appearance

Smell 4.0: Cherry aroma extremely evident, which almost completely overwhelms any standard beer odor

Taste 4.0: Much like its smell, cherry flavor is particarly obvious, but doesn't take away from a distinct wheat flavor. Aftertaste is what is mainly appealing, and grew on me since the initial mouthful.

Mouthful 4.0 : Carbonation is standard and none of its qualities are fairly overhwhelming

Drinkability 4.0: Could very easily drink several of these in one sitting. Compared to other beer, Cherry Wheat is very drinkable and I would recommend it.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)