Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,155 | Ratings: 3,814
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a medium amber-orange with a slight sudsy white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a overbearing, artifical-like sweetness contributed by the cherries, and some sugary fruitness.

T: cherries, very fruity and pretty much one dimensional. There was some cereal grains in the palate but it was the cherries that pretty much dominated the flavor.

M: overcarbonated providing a lively tingling and fizziness with a thin body.

D: Drinkability was like a cherry 7-up. Pass on this one.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

A- The pours a deep amber color with a nice off-white head.

S- Has a nice wheat and subtle cherry scent to it.

T- Definitely not impressed with the brew. The cherry flavor is overwhelming and fake tasting. It honestly tasted like cherry cough syrup to me.

M- Somewhat syrupy but was still kind of light, nice carbonation too, but the flavor is too distracting.

D- I struggled to finish the first one, the flavor is just beyond repulsive. I like fruit beers and all but this just taste like the most fake fruit flavor ever concocted.

The distaste with the brew is obviously isolated to a small minority of beer enthusiasts, myself included. I recognize that many people enjoy this beer but I just can't seem to.

Cheers to all who enjoyed!

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had this before on draft, not had a bottle from a mixed 6 pack.
Pours a dark, slightly cloudy gold color, with a nice foamy head. Strong smell of artifical cherries. Taste is also full of cherry flavoring. I found it too sweet and artificial syrup tasting. Mouthfeel is a bit dry like a wheat beer should be. It seems that this is one you either really like, or really don't. Unfortunatley, not one of my favorites.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half and inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of cherry cough drops, and nothing else. The taste is a little more beery, but it is still dominated by cherry cough drops. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is too much like medicine for me too like. I can't see myself drinking thins again.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours yellow with a white foamy head, some decent retention and a little lacing.

The scent of this one is a combination of sweet wheat and some rather unpleasant cherry preserves. An oddity? Maybe, but I'm just not digging it.

Wheat sweetness, some light fruit pit bitterness, and then the cherry essence that does not drive you to take a second sip. My rating is kind.

Decent carbonation and lighter bodied -- helps you choke this crap down.

My drain was able to chug this beer easily, but I could not get through more than half of the pint. One of the few big stinkers from Boston Beer Company.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After hearing stories about how bad this beer tastes for over a year, I finally decided to give it a try and picked a bottle on my last visit to New York...

12 US.fl.oz bottle poured into a generic American pint glass...

A - Looks more like a pilsner to me, with its pale golden/straw colour. The head is alright, with solid retention and some lacing. My grade is a bit low because it does not look like a CHERRY beer to me... sorry

S - The first reaction I had was "Cherry-flavoured Halls lozenge?". The aroma is almost entirely made up of that, plus some minor grain notes, with a little bit of caramel. All in all, the aroma is more appalling than original or attractive...

T - The taste is full of those Cherry lozenge notes, just like the smell was. Not very sweet at first. The after-taste reminds me of a bad pale lager, with a sour metallic feel to it. This beer sort of blends the aspects of a bad fruit beer with those of a generic macro lager...

M - Light-to-medium body to it. Slightly syrup-like. Highly carbonated, almost like a sparkling beverage... Frankly, this is a bit hard to drink, in my opinion.

O - This is the kind of beer that makes me wonder how many people actually like it. Apparently, this is popular among college girls and yuppies... Well then, it's got a right to exist, but as for me, I've definitely had better fruit wheat beers...

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow colored body, slightly opaque with a light white head. Smells like cherries. Tastes like drinking a cherry popsicle. Cherry is NOT my favorite fruit flavor. The cherry characteristics of this beer overwhelmed me. If you really like the flavor of a cherry popsicle you just might like this. But this is not for me.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear orangish color with a small head that fell pretty quickly. After this point the beer looked pretty lifeless in the glass.

Aroma: Now the aroma in this beer is wonderful. The cherry is pretty much the only player, but it is fresh like you get when you open a box of Fruit Loops.

Taste: The taste is totally one dimensional, and chemical. The cherry aroma is about the only thing going for this beer in my opinion. It tastes totally manufactured, and the assertive cherry aroma is like saccharine coating your throat. I pretty much want to take a drink of water after a sip to wash out the flavor.

Opinion: I fell into the marketing of this beer, and bought a six-pack...OOPS! It looked and sounded good...even smelled good before I tried it. I was then extremely disappointed when I tasted it. I recently drank Sammies Chocolate Bock which was excellent, and it surprises me that the same brew master can produce this beer. I know that Sam Adams has the ability to make a good beer, but unfortunately this is one that I would not recommend.

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

A - Poured a golden yellow / amber color with a decent two finger head. Light lacing and great carbonation, but that's where it ends.

S - Like Loudon's cherry cough drops. Artificial cherry flavor dominates everything else.

T - Kind of like a Dr. Pepper, sorry but that's all that popped into my head as I swallowed. Like the nose, too many artificial notes.

M - Light and fizzy, thin bodied.

D - Very easy to drink. Went down like a soda, I could pound these on a really hot day in the summer. But I fear my mommy would yell me at and wind up with a tummy ache.

2.51/5  rDev -22%

Had this repeatedly years ago and had fond memories of it so when I saw a six, I picked it up. Wishing I had passed.
The look is fairly good, a reasonably good-sized white head with scattered lace. Retention is ok, at best. I expect a long-lasting, fluffy head on a wheat., not so here.
Smell was a key in memories. Cherry is very forward here with weak malt backing it up. Balance is missing.
Taste is.......artificial. Cherry is strong here, as well. Malt is more prevelant but still more of a bit player. The cherry note is reminiscent of cough syrup, very chemical in nature. Now, whether due to changes in the recipe or changes in my palate, this was pretty off-putting to me. Balance doesn't really exist.
Medium bodied for the style, effervescence is of big bubbles, not the small bubble, soft feel expected and in other wheats. Fake cherry lasts and actually gets a touch metallic in the aftertaste. I won't be buying this again.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

I've been ragged-on recently, but I will continue to force-pronounce the "h" in "wheat". Think Stewie Griffin and Cool Whip... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of solid white foam. The nose tries to hint at a bit of dry wheat, but things are thoroughly dominated by a half-medicinal, half-artificial cherry smell. Not exactly my bowl o' fruit, so to speak. The taste intimates toward a wheat-y revolution, but the malevolent iron fist of the cherry junta maintains a constant vigil, keeping any subversive characters under an ever-present threat of violent reprisal. Worse, a mineral-y, tinny flavor caps things off at the finish. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a decided miss. the cherry character just doesn't work at all. 'Nuff said.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched best before Nov 2011, so it's still good for another 3 months.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow body. Medium white head with medium retention.

Smell - Moderately strong maraschino cherries up front. Slight undertones of wheat beer. Smells delicious. You've really got to be in the mood for it though.

Taste - Wheat front end. Corny musk body. Cherry finish... though somehow still dry. Little weird. Pretty much no sweetness. A bit of earthy musk and astringency throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very dry. Surprisingly, considering the smell. Strange astringency kills the beer for me.

Overall - Had high hopes for this beer, because I like a good sweet fruit beer once in a while. But this was just dry, astringent, and kinda weird. I can imagine it might go good with specific food pairings, but doesn't stand on its own as a straightforward beer.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

I’m hardly a stranger to the “fruit/vegetable beer” style, having rated about 13 of them thus far ranging from the very good Unibroue black currant beer to the substandard Sea Dog raspberry wheat. I expected a good showing from Sam Adams, but unfortunately that was not the case.

Presented in a 12 oz. bottle with best-by Feb 2007 date, decanted into a pilsner a hazy amber with a minimal amount of tiny, Champaign-like bubbles along the edges of the glass. Head is generous, pillowy, and light tan in color; it fades at a leisurely pace leaving minor lacing and disappearing by the bottom of the glass. Overall, a good looking beer. Nose, even as it warms, leaves much to be desired, dominated wholly by an artificial cherry scent reminiscent of cough syrup. Try as I might, I couldn’t coax any other smell out of this one. Taste is slightly more complex, though still dominated by an artificial cherry flavor. Maybe there are some hops in the background, but they’re virtually indiscernible. Mouth is not bad, semi-viscous and wet. Drinkability is OK if you’re into this sort of beer; to me, it’s oversweet with little complexity to keep me coming back for more. One is enough.

Overall: An overly sweet fruit beer, nothing remarkable.

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Definitely not my favorite beer, or even my favorite SA. Has a slightly sour medicinal quality to the cherry in both the aroma and flavor. Not much to back it up. I'm starting the think that wheat beers just weren't meant to be fruit flavored.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a medium brown honey color with a quickly dissipated white cap. Aroma was very much cherry almost like a cherry jolly rancher with a little grain undertones in the nose. The problem I had with this beer is it reminded me of cherry cough syrup. Even though I love the kriek lambics and other cherry drinks, this one turned me off. The flavor was more of the same. If I could have seperated the cherry flavor and the wheat flavor they may have been good...but some some reason together remind me of a medicinal syrup. A little bitterness to help mellow it out. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a hint of alcohol and medium carbonation. I would not have this again.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Im suprised Sam Adams came out with this cherry sewer water its very hard to drink and by the 3rd beer you want to stop and just smoke weed the cherry is too strong and i couldn't Finish a 6 pack. Overall I give it a 4/10 and im being generous with that score. just try it for yourself you might like it!!! Thanks guys\\

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Looked like it wasnt going to be a decent wheat, nice golden hazy color, decent white head which stayed, but alas the taste was the downfall. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry not the good cherry either mind you, the cheap caugh syrup type cherry....yuuuck. Behind the cherry theyre was little to tell, not much hop to it, just seemed clean. Unfortunately the horrid cherry flavor masked a decent american wheat, my advice to boston beer, use natural cherry flavor.

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

A = Light amber color, slightly opaque. Served in Frosted glass mug. Nice head, which faded after a bout a minute in the glass It did leave some nice lacing in the glass.

S = Very "Cherry". So much so I am reminded of Cherry Ice cream. I can barely sense hops or grains.

T = Very sweet on the palate, though the cherry flavor does seem a bit more natural than the smell. Like the smell, the cherry covers up nearly all traces of gops and grain, except for the aftertaste. There is a nice little bit of bitterness in that aftertaste, but is mixed in with a cherry cough medicine undertone which is off putting.

M = Nice tingle from small bubbles, not "soda-pop" like carbonation. It is rather light on the palate. Not much else though

D = I would say this is definitely an after dinner beer. It is so sweet you could serve it with some waffle cones or honey graham crackers and it would actually go rather well. Other than that, I don't know what it would go with. The cherry is so overpowering that it does mask the grain and hops to a great degree. Serve to someone interested in changing up from wine coolers or cocktails who is not familiar with good brew.

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

When i saw this beer i had to try it.I drank this straight from the bottle , but did check its color , which was a light red. The smell was good , and was acually the best part about this beer. I couldn't stop smelling it, becuase i was impressed with how "cherry" it was. Not much of a mouthfeel , a little watered down for me. Taste was great at first, because cherry's are good , but it quicky got old.Just way to sweet , no balance at all , after taste was of sweet cherrys , would have liked a tart cherry after taste.

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a nice blonde, but no haze. Where is my wheat haze? Hmm.

Smells of sweetened sour cherries, acid, no wheat esters. Where are my wheat esters?

Taste is cloyingly sweet, mostly of government-issue cherry syrup flavor, and a bit of a sour back. I'm sure they did use some natural cherries in here, but along side it, there's a whole artificial sweetness that drowns out what could have been a very nice cherry taste.

Traditional wheat tastes are no where to be seen. Where are my wheat tastes? Hmm.

Overall, very disappointing. Took what could have been a very nice idea, and blew it all to hell.

Next time Sam Adams wants to make a cherry wheat, they should use real cherries....and more than an ounce of wheat grain!

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

Well I had high hopes for this beer, and I was very let down. It pours a very promising gold color with a nice thick white head, which went away fairly quick. The smell was decent, smelled like a typical weat or ale, with a very small cherry smell. The overall flavor was quite bland, not much of anything stood out other than the artificial cherry taste and an odd aftertaste. I dont think I would buy another 6pk of this, although i may try it on tap sometime, to see if its any better.

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer is the eeriest copper with weird pink tones that give it a hazy appearance even though its decidedly not a victim of protein haze and so on. Keeps a decent head, but that color just weirds me out.

Smell of the most digusting scent of fake Maraschino cherry juice. Overly saccharine and truly cloying, made me want to gag. This was overpowering that it bled into the flavor, tainting the wheat base that didn't taste wheat-like in the first place. Cherries were more than a bit light in the flavor department, somehow...

The surprise was the nicely rounded mouthfeel, an afterthought to the scent. Its hard to critically speak about this beer - the scent was gagging and the flavor was wholly lacking. Just poor beer passing a fruit cocktail for those who don't like beer - the exact reason why my friends had bought it.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)