Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,149 | Ratings: 3,796
2.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow colored body, slightly opaque with a light white head. Smells like cherries. Tastes like drinking a cherry popsicle. Cherry is NOT my favorite fruit flavor. The cherry characteristics of this beer overwhelmed me. If you really like the flavor of a cherry popsicle you just might like this. But this is not for me.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear orangish color with a small head that fell pretty quickly. After this point the beer looked pretty lifeless in the glass.

Aroma: Now the aroma in this beer is wonderful. The cherry is pretty much the only player, but it is fresh like you get when you open a box of Fruit Loops.

Taste: The taste is totally one dimensional, and chemical. The cherry aroma is about the only thing going for this beer in my opinion. It tastes totally manufactured, and the assertive cherry aroma is like saccharine coating your throat. I pretty much want to take a drink of water after a sip to wash out the flavor.

Opinion: I fell into the marketing of this beer, and bought a six-pack...OOPS! It looked and sounded good...even smelled good before I tried it. I was then extremely disappointed when I tasted it. I recently drank Sammies Chocolate Bock which was excellent, and it surprises me that the same brew master can produce this beer. I know that Sam Adams has the ability to make a good beer, but unfortunately this is one that I would not recommend.

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

A - Poured a golden yellow / amber color with a decent two finger head. Light lacing and great carbonation, but that's where it ends.

S - Like Loudon's cherry cough drops. Artificial cherry flavor dominates everything else.

T - Kind of like a Dr. Pepper, sorry but that's all that popped into my head as I swallowed. Like the nose, too many artificial notes.

M - Light and fizzy, thin bodied.

D - Very easy to drink. Went down like a soda, I could pound these on a really hot day in the summer. But I fear my mommy would yell me at and wind up with a tummy ache.

2.51/5  rDev -22%

Had this repeatedly years ago and had fond memories of it so when I saw a six, I picked it up. Wishing I had passed.
The look is fairly good, a reasonably good-sized white head with scattered lace. Retention is ok, at best. I expect a long-lasting, fluffy head on a wheat., not so here.
Smell was a key in memories. Cherry is very forward here with weak malt backing it up. Balance is missing.
Taste is.......artificial. Cherry is strong here, as well. Malt is more prevelant but still more of a bit player. The cherry note is reminiscent of cough syrup, very chemical in nature. Now, whether due to changes in the recipe or changes in my palate, this was pretty off-putting to me. Balance doesn't really exist.
Medium bodied for the style, effervescence is of big bubbles, not the small bubble, soft feel expected and in other wheats. Fake cherry lasts and actually gets a touch metallic in the aftertaste. I won't be buying this again.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

I've been ragged-on recently, but I will continue to force-pronounce the "h" in "wheat". Think Stewie Griffin and Cool Whip... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of solid white foam. The nose tries to hint at a bit of dry wheat, but things are thoroughly dominated by a half-medicinal, half-artificial cherry smell. Not exactly my bowl o' fruit, so to speak. The taste intimates toward a wheat-y revolution, but the malevolent iron fist of the cherry junta maintains a constant vigil, keeping any subversive characters under an ever-present threat of violent reprisal. Worse, a mineral-y, tinny flavor caps things off at the finish. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a decided miss. the cherry character just doesn't work at all. 'Nuff said.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched best before Nov 2011, so it's still good for another 3 months.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow body. Medium white head with medium retention.

Smell - Moderately strong maraschino cherries up front. Slight undertones of wheat beer. Smells delicious. You've really got to be in the mood for it though.

Taste - Wheat front end. Corny musk body. Cherry finish... though somehow still dry. Little weird. Pretty much no sweetness. A bit of earthy musk and astringency throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very dry. Surprisingly, considering the smell. Strange astringency kills the beer for me.

Overall - Had high hopes for this beer, because I like a good sweet fruit beer once in a while. But this was just dry, astringent, and kinda weird. I can imagine it might go good with specific food pairings, but doesn't stand on its own as a straightforward beer.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

I’m hardly a stranger to the “fruit/vegetable beer” style, having rated about 13 of them thus far ranging from the very good Unibroue black currant beer to the substandard Sea Dog raspberry wheat. I expected a good showing from Sam Adams, but unfortunately that was not the case.

Presented in a 12 oz. bottle with best-by Feb 2007 date, decanted into a pilsner a hazy amber with a minimal amount of tiny, Champaign-like bubbles along the edges of the glass. Head is generous, pillowy, and light tan in color; it fades at a leisurely pace leaving minor lacing and disappearing by the bottom of the glass. Overall, a good looking beer. Nose, even as it warms, leaves much to be desired, dominated wholly by an artificial cherry scent reminiscent of cough syrup. Try as I might, I couldn’t coax any other smell out of this one. Taste is slightly more complex, though still dominated by an artificial cherry flavor. Maybe there are some hops in the background, but they’re virtually indiscernible. Mouth is not bad, semi-viscous and wet. Drinkability is OK if you’re into this sort of beer; to me, it’s oversweet with little complexity to keep me coming back for more. One is enough.

Overall: An overly sweet fruit beer, nothing remarkable.

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Definitely not my favorite beer, or even my favorite SA. Has a slightly sour medicinal quality to the cherry in both the aroma and flavor. Not much to back it up. I'm starting the think that wheat beers just weren't meant to be fruit flavored.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a medium brown honey color with a quickly dissipated white cap. Aroma was very much cherry almost like a cherry jolly rancher with a little grain undertones in the nose. The problem I had with this beer is it reminded me of cherry cough syrup. Even though I love the kriek lambics and other cherry drinks, this one turned me off. The flavor was more of the same. If I could have seperated the cherry flavor and the wheat flavor they may have been good...but some some reason together remind me of a medicinal syrup. A little bitterness to help mellow it out. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a hint of alcohol and medium carbonation. I would not have this again.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Im suprised Sam Adams came out with this cherry sewer water its very hard to drink and by the 3rd beer you want to stop and just smoke weed the cherry is too strong and i couldn't Finish a 6 pack. Overall I give it a 4/10 and im being generous with that score. just try it for yourself you might like it!!! Thanks guys\\
-JMAS

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Part of a mixed Summer pack, cleaning up my leftovers for Fall.

A- The beer received by my pint glass is a hazy light amber. A massive foamy white head forms to about three fingers and settles nicely with good retention. Tons of lace as the head falls and nice webs all down the glass.

S- A blast of cherry to say the least. It isn't overly artificial but you can tell flavoring was used, it says on the bottle too. It would be quite difficult to get such an aroma naturally, something like Slush Puppy Cherry mixed with real fruit. Slight grain and bread hints behind it all.

T- The candy cherry flavor shows up here too but doesn't dominate like in the aroma. It is still strong but other things blend in with it like cereal grain, yeast bread and tiny hint of wheat. The cherry gets pretty medicinal, like cough syrup, after just a few sips.

MF- Creamy overall feel to a light bodied beer. The wheat must be responsible for some of the silky texture. Moderate level of carbonation and some bitterness that doesn't feel that good with the medicinal flavors.

If the cherry flavor wasn't quite as medicinal, this wouldn't be a bad light beer at all. With each sip the fruit flavor just seems to feel more and more fake.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%

Looked like it wasnt going to be a decent wheat, nice golden hazy color, decent white head which stayed, but alas the taste was the downfall. Cherry, cherry, and more cherry not the good cherry either mind you, the cheap caugh syrup type cherry....yuuuck. Behind the cherry theyre was little to tell, not much hop to it, just seemed clean. Unfortunately the horrid cherry flavor masked a decent american wheat, my advice to boston beer, use natural cherry flavor.

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

A = Light amber color, slightly opaque. Served in Frosted glass mug. Nice head, which faded after a bout a minute in the glass It did leave some nice lacing in the glass.

S = Very "Cherry". So much so I am reminded of Cherry Ice cream. I can barely sense hops or grains.

T = Very sweet on the palate, though the cherry flavor does seem a bit more natural than the smell. Like the smell, the cherry covers up nearly all traces of gops and grain, except for the aftertaste. There is a nice little bit of bitterness in that aftertaste, but is mixed in with a cherry cough medicine undertone which is off putting.

M = Nice tingle from small bubbles, not "soda-pop" like carbonation. It is rather light on the palate. Not much else though

D = I would say this is definitely an after dinner beer. It is so sweet you could serve it with some waffle cones or honey graham crackers and it would actually go rather well. Other than that, I don't know what it would go with. The cherry is so overpowering that it does mask the grain and hops to a great degree. Serve to someone interested in changing up from wine coolers or cocktails who is not familiar with good brew.

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

When i saw this beer i had to try it.I drank this straight from the bottle , but did check its color , which was a light red. The smell was good , and was acually the best part about this beer. I couldn't stop smelling it, becuase i was impressed with how "cherry" it was. Not much of a mouthfeel , a little watered down for me. Taste was great at first, because cherry's are good , but it quicky got old.Just way to sweet , no balance at all , after taste was of sweet cherrys , would have liked a tart cherry after taste.

2.42/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a nice blonde, but no haze. Where is my wheat haze? Hmm.

Smells of sweetened sour cherries, acid, no wheat esters. Where are my wheat esters?
Hmm.

Taste is cloyingly sweet, mostly of government-issue cherry syrup flavor, and a bit of a sour back. I'm sure they did use some natural cherries in here, but along side it, there's a whole artificial sweetness that drowns out what could have been a very nice cherry taste.

Traditional wheat tastes are no where to be seen. Where are my wheat tastes? Hmm.

Overall, very disappointing. Took what could have been a very nice idea, and blew it all to hell.

Next time Sam Adams wants to make a cherry wheat, they should use real cherries....and more than an ounce of wheat grain!

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

Well I had high hopes for this beer, and I was very let down. It pours a very promising gold color with a nice thick white head, which went away fairly quick. The smell was decent, smelled like a typical weat or ale, with a very small cherry smell. The overall flavor was quite bland, not much of anything stood out other than the artificial cherry taste and an odd aftertaste. I dont think I would buy another 6pk of this, although i may try it on tap sometime, to see if its any better.

2.41/5  rDev -25.2%

This beer is the eeriest copper with weird pink tones that give it a hazy appearance even though its decidedly not a victim of protein haze and so on. Keeps a decent head, but that color just weirds me out.

Smell of the most digusting scent of fake Maraschino cherry juice. Overly saccharine and truly cloying, made me want to gag. This was overpowering that it bled into the flavor, tainting the wheat base that didn't taste wheat-like in the first place. Cherries were more than a bit light in the flavor department, somehow...

The surprise was the nicely rounded mouthfeel, an afterthought to the scent. Its hard to critically speak about this beer - the scent was gagging and the flavor was wholly lacking. Just poor beer passing a fruit cocktail for those who don't like beer - the exact reason why my friends had bought it.

2.4/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a pint glass.

I'm generally fine with most of the Sam Adams products, especially those that are a little out of the ordinary i.e. imperial pilsner. However, their Cherry Wheat misses the mark. The look is fine - nice, golden color with a nice white head that leaves some lacing. The smell is not so great - maraschino cherry syrup; very sweet and cloying. The taste is not so cloying, but still nothing good - too sweet when there should be some tartness. Mouthfeel is like soda bordering on harsh. Yeah, this isn't my cup of tea, but I could see people enjoying this one. It's like beer, but not. Recommendation to avoid.

2.39/5  rDev -25.8%

Whoa, the cherry is too over-bearing in this one. Pour was disappointing – way too clear for a wheat beer. Although it had a nice cherry and malt aroma, the taste went from strong cherry in the beginning to tasting like Robitussin cough syrup by the end of the bottle. Even the wife-zilla, while working on her bottle, said she couldn’t stomach another.

2.39/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I like Sam Adams and have had many beers from them, and I tried this with high expectation as wheat beers are one of my favorite styles and bought a six pack. Smell is cherry cough drops almost and sugary with a little hop and yeast smell. Color is light red maybe almost a darker pink. Head disappears quickly to almost nothing but with lacing. The taste is light medium feel and a sugary artificial cherry flavor to a little bit of hops and then the wheat beer comes through. I forced finished one and later on could not finish the second because the flavor just became unpleasant and ended up dumping the rest.

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Deep brown gold, a bit muddy, but with a distinct reddish purplish middle hue in the middle of the glass, making faint lemon yellow to the fine edges. Solid and fairly opaque, but there is some transparent carbonation. Head is about two fingers with a nice creamy white appearance. Slowly settles down.

Aroma is straight up cheap neon red cocktail cherries. Real sweet smelling and dominant. Not much wheat or malt sensing character since this is so large and dominating everything on the nose. There are no off flavors at least so it still manages an average score on the aroma.

Palate is not what I remember. This has a real wet seltzery quality to it, and a real flattened malt character. There's an off putting bitterness on the finish and some metallic notes as well, which are really evident on the aftertaste. Repeated sips are not helping me enjoy this more, even much of the sweetness and cherry flavor which hits your nose like a fist to the face, doesn't seem to even come up on the palate very much. Weird body to this as well.

Surprisingly, had this on tap and preferred it more years ago, not by much, but I just can't get into this at all. So much for the re-run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old review Feb 2nd 2011

Poured on tap into a pint glass.

Since I didn't pour it myself, head is barely a finger of white but manages to leave a simple collar throughout while drinking. Body is fairly clear and clean of a simple light gold with some visible carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Bouquet is an overly dominant smell of supermarket from the jar artificial neon red maraschino cherries. The fake stuff, not real cherries. No biscuit aroma, no hops no nothing. It's an overwhelming artificial smell as if you just cracked open the lid. Since it's named Cherry wheat I give it props, but since I hate fake cherries with a passion, I am also not pleased therefore it gets middle of the road for smell.

Taste. Overall not too bad, the biscuit and bread isn't really in the taste until you swallow then there's a bit of bread chew on the swallow. Body is very solid and not too wet either. It is once again overwhelmingly a fake cherry fruit and very sugar sweet.

If that cherry "type" of smell and taste is your thing you'll love this beer. For me though it isn't that great cause I prefer real fruit taste and this isn't it. But it does have characteristics of a solid wheat ale almost and that makes it at least drinkable.

Old Rating: 3.5, 3, 3, 4, 3 - 3.13.

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a clear light reddish-orange with a foamy tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of wheat, grain, and some artificial cherry aromas. Taste is much the same with an almost sickening medicinal cherry flavor that lingers long after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer that is pretty gross and undrinkable.

2.38/5  rDev -26.1%

This tastes like alcoholic cherry soda, not beer. Really simple, direct, and a little too sweet. It's drinkable, but if I wanted a malternative, I would have bought one. There are much better fruit beers out there. This is the first time I've been disappointed with a Sam Adams brew.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)