Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,163 | Ratings: 3,847
2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this beer to broaden my horizons. I hadn't tried many fruity beers in the past. Most of my experiences were with framboises, but I do know my wheat beers. Comes from living in Oregon and starting out with the Widmer beers.

This came from a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass at the local tavern (Cloverleaf Tavern of New Jersey, check it out).

There was a low head which dissipated almost immediately. There was a golden hue with some filtering (Captain Obvious says: not cloudy). Due to the quick drop in head, there was almost no lacing.

I took a quick sniff of the aroma, and someone dropped a case of black cherries on my head. Seriously, this is not a subtle bouquet. There was so much cherry, it smacked me in the face.

At first there was less cherry in the tasting, then it appears in the after-taste. With each swallow the taste got stronger, to the point where I almost couldn't finish.

I would probably pass on this beer if ever offered again. Not worth getting one for free.

2.54/5  rDev -21.1%

my sister just gifted me a 6 of winter lager, with 2 bottles switched out for cherry wheat to 'mix it up a bit' -
looks ok on the pour - clear-ish golden with a 2 finger right white fizzy head -
i have to admit that i'm drinking this at a bit warmer than it should be served, but...
yeow! the aroma of cherries? - yeah the marashino type as well as
cherry flavored lollipops - this smell is overwhelming and remains so with every sip -
the taste follows the nose and the cherry flavor is just awful - there isn't much more here, if there is the fake cherry flavor masks it all -
light bodied and crisp on the pallette -
man, i had to force this one down and need to move onto something else quickly to get the lingering cherry taste out -
makes cranberry lambic look like a champ!
if i have the second bottle it'll have to be ice cold,

** edit - ok , i've had the second bottle at proper temp - only a marginal difference for the better -

2.54/5  rDev -21.1%

First impressions are good; cloudy wheat-gold color with a pillowy white head. The nose is a little off-putting; wheat, with a strong air of unpleasant cherry-robitussin scent. Taste is initally very poor; like a bitter cherry pill. The wheat seems to become a little more evident after the first few sips, but it's still nothing special. The beer has a bitter, medicinal aftertaste that lingers after each sip. Definitely the weak link in the sampler pack.

May 2010 notch date

Bottle poured into glass.

The smell of cherries were nice. It color is amber and can see through the glass. The comment on the bottle, generous wheat was a definite degradation for my tastes.

The smell of the cherries was more evident than the taste of cherries.

One thing was the carbonation very active, reminds me of soda, the carbonation actually sizzles on the tongue, which you can hear. Makes me wonder how the carbonation was handled.

Active carbonation the whole time, no noticeable nucleation sites, nice tiny bubbles.

M - thin

Says 2001 gold winner, but for me the beer was a turn off.

I do not plan to buy this beer again.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My girlfriend will actually drink this, so I decided to have one to see if it was any better than I remembered it being. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass...

A - Pours a hazy, yellow-amber color. A full, off-white head forms about 2 fingers thick. Retains nicely.

S - The aroma starts with an artificial cherry scent. it mixes with a grainy, wheat aroma. Not much to it here.

T - The taste is much of the same with the grainy malts making more of an impact here than on the aroma. The "cherry" comes across as quite artificial and syrupy.

M - Medium bodied beer with a creamy mouthfeel. A moderate carbonation here.

O - Just as I remembered it. I just can't get into beers whose primary component comes across as artificial. I could see this being refreshing during the summer at a party where everyone drinks macros, but other than that, I won't be coming back to it.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a medium amber-orange with a slight sudsy white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a overbearing, artifical-like sweetness contributed by the cherries, and some sugary fruitness.

T: cherries, very fruity and pretty much one dimensional. There was some cereal grains in the palate but it was the cherries that pretty much dominated the flavor.

M: overcarbonated providing a lively tingling and fizziness with a thin body.

D: Drinkability was like a cherry 7-up. Pass on this one.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

A- The pours a deep amber color with a nice off-white head.

S- Has a nice wheat and subtle cherry scent to it.

T- Definitely not impressed with the brew. The cherry flavor is overwhelming and fake tasting. It honestly tasted like cherry cough syrup to me.

M- Somewhat syrupy but was still kind of light, nice carbonation too, but the flavor is too distracting.

D- I struggled to finish the first one, the flavor is just beyond repulsive. I like fruit beers and all but this just taste like the most fake fruit flavor ever concocted.

The distaste with the brew is obviously isolated to a small minority of beer enthusiasts, myself included. I recognize that many people enjoy this beer but I just can't seem to.

Cheers to all who enjoyed!

-Dotson

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have had this before on draft, not had a bottle from a mixed 6 pack.
Pours a dark, slightly cloudy gold color, with a nice foamy head. Strong smell of artifical cherries. Taste is also full of cherry flavoring. I found it too sweet and artificial syrup tasting. Mouthfeel is a bit dry like a wheat beer should be. It seems that this is one you either really like, or really don't. Unfortunatley, not one of my favorites.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy amber-orange color. The head is half and inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of cherry cough drops, and nothing else. The taste is a little more beery, but it is still dominated by cherry cough drops. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is too much like medicine for me too like. I can't see myself drinking thins again.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours yellow with a white foamy head, some decent retention and a little lacing.

The scent of this one is a combination of sweet wheat and some rather unpleasant cherry preserves. An oddity? Maybe, but I'm just not digging it.

Wheat sweetness, some light fruit pit bitterness, and then the cherry essence that does not drive you to take a second sip. My rating is kind.

Decent carbonation and lighter bodied -- helps you choke this crap down.

My drain was able to chug this beer easily, but I could not get through more than half of the pint. One of the few big stinkers from Boston Beer Company.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After hearing stories about how bad this beer tastes for over a year, I finally decided to give it a try and picked a bottle on my last visit to New York...

12 US.fl.oz bottle poured into a generic American pint glass...

A - Looks more like a pilsner to me, with its pale golden/straw colour. The head is alright, with solid retention and some lacing. My grade is a bit low because it does not look like a CHERRY beer to me... sorry

S - The first reaction I had was "Cherry-flavoured Halls lozenge?". The aroma is almost entirely made up of that, plus some minor grain notes, with a little bit of caramel. All in all, the aroma is more appalling than original or attractive...

T - The taste is full of those Cherry lozenge notes, just like the smell was. Not very sweet at first. The after-taste reminds me of a bad pale lager, with a sour metallic feel to it. This beer sort of blends the aspects of a bad fruit beer with those of a generic macro lager...

M - Light-to-medium body to it. Slightly syrup-like. Highly carbonated, almost like a sparkling beverage... Frankly, this is a bit hard to drink, in my opinion.

O - This is the kind of beer that makes me wonder how many people actually like it. Apparently, this is popular among college girls and yuppies... Well then, it's got a right to exist, but as for me, I've definitely had better fruit wheat beers...

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow colored body, slightly opaque with a light white head. Smells like cherries. Tastes like drinking a cherry popsicle. Cherry is NOT my favorite fruit flavor. The cherry characteristics of this beer overwhelmed me. If you really like the flavor of a cherry popsicle you just might like this. But this is not for me.

2.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear orangish color with a small head that fell pretty quickly. After this point the beer looked pretty lifeless in the glass.

Aroma: Now the aroma in this beer is wonderful. The cherry is pretty much the only player, but it is fresh like you get when you open a box of Fruit Loops.

Taste: The taste is totally one dimensional, and chemical. The cherry aroma is about the only thing going for this beer in my opinion. It tastes totally manufactured, and the assertive cherry aroma is like saccharine coating your throat. I pretty much want to take a drink of water after a sip to wash out the flavor.

Opinion: I fell into the marketing of this beer, and bought a six-pack...OOPS! It looked and sounded good...even smelled good before I tried it. I was then extremely disappointed when I tasted it. I recently drank Sammies Chocolate Bock which was excellent, and it surprises me that the same brew master can produce this beer. I know that Sam Adams has the ability to make a good beer, but unfortunately this is one that I would not recommend.

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

I may actually participate in NBS (Week 615) since I plan to run through as much of my remaining Samuel Adams Bottle Backlog as possible today! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

From the bottle: "A flavorful American wheat ale brewed in the tradition of using native ingredients. We use Michigan cherries for a tart character and a touch of honey for a slight sweetness that's combined with a crisp cereal note and Noble hops for a bright and refreshing flavor. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

I feel the need to be upfront on this one. The last time that I drank one, back in 2012, I felt like I might have had a mild allergic reaction to it. If I need to wrap up the review before drinking the whole bottle, please be understanding.

Upon Pop!ping the cap, I decided to go with a hard pour since, as a wheat beer, cloudiness is acceptable & to be expected. The result was three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head like meringue atop the liquid. Color was a hazy, not really cloudy, Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), causing the snobbish Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus to remain on my living room couch, watching football since they go for 24-karat clarity. Nose definitely has a cherry cough drop quality! Well put, rodbeermunch! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and light, not precisely watery, but close. The taste was really sweet and I would have guessed artificial. The Michigan cherries were utterly wasted. The taste reminded me of Duncan Hines Cherry cake icing and was sickeningly sweet. Blah! It's actually giving me a headache. No wonder I disliked it four years ago. Finish was sweet, almost candy-like and not my thing at all. Man, even if they deign to CAN this at some point, I will be hard-pressed to return to it.

2.52/5  rDev -21.7%

A - Poured a golden yellow / amber color with a decent two finger head. Light lacing and great carbonation, but that's where it ends.

S - Like Loudon's cherry cough drops. Artificial cherry flavor dominates everything else.

T - Kind of like a Dr. Pepper, sorry but that's all that popped into my head as I swallowed. Like the nose, too many artificial notes.

M - Light and fizzy, thin bodied.

D - Very easy to drink. Went down like a soda, I could pound these on a really hot day in the summer. But I fear my mommy would yell me at and wind up with a tummy ache.

2.51/5  rDev -22%

Had this repeatedly years ago and had fond memories of it so when I saw a six, I picked it up. Wishing I had passed.
The look is fairly good, a reasonably good-sized white head with scattered lace. Retention is ok, at best. I expect a long-lasting, fluffy head on a wheat., not so here.
Smell was a key in memories. Cherry is very forward here with weak malt backing it up. Balance is missing.
Taste is.......artificial. Cherry is strong here, as well. Malt is more prevelant but still more of a bit player. The cherry note is reminiscent of cough syrup, very chemical in nature. Now, whether due to changes in the recipe or changes in my palate, this was pretty off-putting to me. Balance doesn't really exist.
Medium bodied for the style, effervescence is of big bubbles, not the small bubble, soft feel expected and in other wheats. Fake cherry lasts and actually gets a touch metallic in the aftertaste. I won't be buying this again.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

I've been ragged-on recently, but I will continue to force-pronounce the "h" in "wheat". Think Stewie Griffin and Cool Whip... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear straw topped by a finger of solid white foam. The nose tries to hint at a bit of dry wheat, but things are thoroughly dominated by a half-medicinal, half-artificial cherry smell. Not exactly my bowl o' fruit, so to speak. The taste intimates toward a wheat-y revolution, but the malevolent iron fist of the cherry junta maintains a constant vigil, keeping any subversive characters under an ever-present threat of violent reprisal. Worse, a mineral-y, tinny flavor caps things off at the finish. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a decided miss. the cherry character just doesn't work at all. 'Nuff said.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Shock Top weizen glass. Label notched best before Nov 2011, so it's still good for another 3 months.

Appearance - Cloudy yellow body. Medium white head with medium retention.

Smell - Moderately strong maraschino cherries up front. Slight undertones of wheat beer. Smells delicious. You've really got to be in the mood for it though.

Taste - Wheat front end. Corny musk body. Cherry finish... though somehow still dry. Little weird. Pretty much no sweetness. A bit of earthy musk and astringency throughout.

Mouthfeel - Very dry. Surprisingly, considering the smell. Strange astringency kills the beer for me.

Overall - Had high hopes for this beer, because I like a good sweet fruit beer once in a while. But this was just dry, astringent, and kinda weird. I can imagine it might go good with specific food pairings, but doesn't stand on its own as a straightforward beer.

2.49/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer.

Pours with a samll white head.

Smells of cherries and not much else. Also not a huge fan of cherries which doesnt help in my rating.

Not a hug cherry taste that you'd expect from such a strong smell.

Mouthfeel was slightly thick with small amount of grit.

Drinkability was ok but not being a huge cherry or wheat fan i wont seek it out.

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

I’m hardly a stranger to the “fruit/vegetable beer” style, having rated about 13 of them thus far ranging from the very good Unibroue black currant beer to the substandard Sea Dog raspberry wheat. I expected a good showing from Sam Adams, but unfortunately that was not the case.

Presented in a 12 oz. bottle with best-by Feb 2007 date, decanted into a pilsner a hazy amber with a minimal amount of tiny, Champaign-like bubbles along the edges of the glass. Head is generous, pillowy, and light tan in color; it fades at a leisurely pace leaving minor lacing and disappearing by the bottom of the glass. Overall, a good looking beer. Nose, even as it warms, leaves much to be desired, dominated wholly by an artificial cherry scent reminiscent of cough syrup. Try as I might, I couldn’t coax any other smell out of this one. Taste is slightly more complex, though still dominated by an artificial cherry flavor. Maybe there are some hops in the background, but they’re virtually indiscernible. Mouth is not bad, semi-viscous and wet. Drinkability is OK if you’re into this sort of beer; to me, it’s oversweet with little complexity to keep me coming back for more. One is enough.

Overall: An overly sweet fruit beer, nothing remarkable.

2.46/5  rDev -23.6%

Definitely not my favorite beer, or even my favorite SA. Has a slightly sour medicinal quality to the cherry in both the aroma and flavor. Not much to back it up. I'm starting the think that wheat beers just weren't meant to be fruit flavored.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a quickly fading head. The cloudiness is from the yeast activated from the bottom of the bottom because of a quick swirl. The smell really does smell like the filling from a cherry pie. Taste is dry and crisp with slight notes of cherry and wheat. I did somewhat enjoy the smell of this brew but the taste was not to my liking. I did not particularly enjoy the flavor of this beer and it was hard to finish the whole thing actually. There was just something about that cherry flavor that did not sit well with me. Glad I picked up a single and not a sixer.

2.45/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured a medium brown honey color with a quickly dissipated white cap. Aroma was very much cherry almost like a cherry jolly rancher with a little grain undertones in the nose. The problem I had with this beer is it reminded me of cherry cough syrup. Even though I love the kriek lambics and other cherry drinks, this one turned me off. The flavor was more of the same. If I could have seperated the cherry flavor and the wheat flavor they may have been good...but some some reason together remind me of a medicinal syrup. A little bitterness to help mellow it out. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a hint of alcohol and medium carbonation. I would not have this again.

2.44/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Im suprised Sam Adams came out with this cherry sewer water its very hard to drink and by the 3rd beer you want to stop and just smoke weed the cherry is too strong and i couldn't Finish a 6 pack. Overall I give it a 4/10 and im being generous with that score. just try it for yourself you might like it!!! Thanks guys\\
-JMAS

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)