Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat
3.16/5
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,886 |  Reviews: 1,173
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I poured the SA cherry wheat into my glass it had a light golden color to it with a thin white head that dissipates into a think white lace. I smell a very nice aroma of cherry and wheat. A very nice taste of cherry and wheat that leaves a little bit of an after taste on the back of your tongue. I think it is a very drinkable beer that would be good as a dessert beer. I couldn't drink them all of the time but once in a while for something different is cool with me.

3.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden body with a white creamy film. Some lacing on the glass from the head. Eventually the head disappears.

Fresh cherries all around. Smells quite sweet.

I get cherry upfront but then blends into a almost vanilla/caramel toastiness with a dry wheat flavor. Not bad.

Carbonation on the medium side. Light, quite crisp clean flavor.

Not a bad fruit beer. It's a nice summer beer for sure. Smell of sweet cherries is definitely the highlight here.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy, honey-gold with a somewhat fizzy head that dissapated quickly to a thin ring and some islands of foam. Some wheat floaties in the glass.
Cherries are the dominant aroma here. Not sweet marichino cherries, but more like black cherries in syrup. Then some wheatiness. Kind of reminded me of cherry cobbler. Subtle hints of lemon as well.
The cherries aren't as strong in the flavor as in the aroma, but are definitely present. Same sweet, but not cloying cherries as in the aroma. The wheat stands up pretty well to the sweetness and the lemon makes another appearance.
Medium-bodied. Good carbonation. Flavors don't linger like you might expect.
Fairly drinkable. Not as cloying sweet as one would expect, but I'm not sure this would be an all night drinker for me. About 1 or 2 would be my limit on these. ABV low enough to drink more, though.
Good beer. Somewhat of a novelty. Good for sitting on the porch after dinner on a summer night.

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a hazy orange with a creamy white head with some sediment evident in the beer.

Smells of white bread and cherries.

The taste was a strong punch of cherries with some hops present in the flavor.

The mouth feel was light with a crisp finish.

Overall I was impressed with this beer and enjoyed it, to a certain extant. I really think this could have been better with a cut back on the cherry and vice versa being on the worse side with just a touch more cherry. So with that I really must say I cannot justify purchasing more of this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this one a couple years back and wasn't very impressed with the strong cherry flavor (without much else). Appearance is amber-copper color, a little bit of head. Nose is all cherry. Taste is likewise mostly cherry, only I didn't find it offensive or jarring like I did initially (although the buddy of mine who also got a bottle thought it was crap). Seriously, there's not much else I can say about the flavor, other than that it is fairly fruity and sweet, almost like juice. Feel is medium bodied, with good carbonation. Overall, not particularly complex and only for those who like fruit juice.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I let it set for about 10 minutes to let the flavors come out. Poured into room temp pint glass.

Appearnce: Very light brown color. Had a big white creamy head, which settled into a thin layer.

Smell - As the name indicated, very pungent sweet cherry smell with no noticable hop aroma.

Taste - Like a maraschino cherry. Only way I could explain it.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, low carbonation.

Drinkability - Excellent beer to quaff down several in a sitting. Probably more resigned to spring/summer months though as opposed to winter. But none the less, I would recommend it to try.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cherry wheat...I always am skeptical about fruit beers, but the "wheat" piqued my interest, and Sam Adams is a very respectable larger scale brewer.

This beer smells very strongly of cherries. The cherry comes through in the taste as well, but it is not overpowering like the smell. The cherry smell (and taste) is almost a little artificial, but still pleasant.

The "wheat" part of this beer doesn't really come through. When you drink this beer, I guess it does feel...maybe a little thicker than you would expect. But the wheat taste is lost. That is unfortunate, in my opinion. This is not a bitter beer, and the flavor overall is good.

The color is amber and it is fairly clear. I would have expected a wheat to be cloudier.

Overall, I have bought two or three six packs of this beer over the last two years. I am enamored with the idea of cherry wheat, though it could be done better. Still, it is a solid effort. Good, but not great.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%

It poors out an orangish red color with a frothy light head. Smells of deep marichino cherries. Little else in the smell aside from a touch of hops..some kind of noble hop if i had to guess but actually pretty nondescript with the screaming cherry over it. Okay so the cherry will hit you right up front. But after this subsides there is a pretty good malty flavor. Actually a delicious maltiness, very earthy and strong. The cherry plays pretty well with it too, if only it tasted a little less like marichino and more like pie filling cherries. As far as fruit beers go this is the second best one I think I have had. Mouthfeel is unassuming and light, maybe a little warming, but i don't know how at 5.2%. The beer is an okay one. I'll warn that if you don't like fruit beers, you won't like it. If you like beer and can appreciate a good mix of fruit in it, then this is a decent beer to try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a 16oz. unfrosted mug. To my surprise this beer poured a think and fluffy snow white head. Wasn't expected that much head from a bottle. Beer was a dark yellow in color. Not as light as a Pilsner but not as dark as an APA.

Smell was cherries to the extreme right up front. Sublte malt and hops behind this innitial fruit smell, but the cherries by far won battle for smell.

So too did they win the battle for taste. The beer is overflowing with cherry flavor all throughout. The lable says made with real cherries and cherry flavor. Perhaps they went a little overboard on one or both of those. I've only had one other fruit beer from SA and that is there cranberry. My complaint with that beer was that there was no bite or crispness to the end of this. The Cherry Wheat addresses and solves that problem. One very nice thing is that it has a nice tart crisp finish to every sip that is actually rather enjoyable.

The beer is all in all not too bad. Not one of my favorite styles and perhaps not the best beer to enjoy in January. But, that being said, this is something I could see my self getting on occasion throughout the Spring and Summer months. It would seem to hit the spot in that setting.

Nothing special here, but a decent enough brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass, the beer was a slightly hazy golden color, with a fluffy head of foam about an inch thick. Nice lacing as the pint progressed.
The aroma is big-time sweet and tart. Nice cherry aroma, some light malt sweetness, and a light floral hop aroma.
The taste is a cherry rush. Slightly sweet and tart, with a little malt sweetness.
The beer has good carbonation and a nice feel.
I really like this beer. I've been drinking it for years. I suppose it's my guilty pleasure. It's not the greatest beer on earth, but I dig it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

pours a translucent golden tone while yielding a 2" foamy head that quickly lapses into a collar around the glass; no real lacing to speak of.

unsurprisingly, the nose comes out of the blocks with a good dose of cherry, joined by some secondary wheaty notes.

taste delivers more of the same. strong cherry presence through and through, which is blended with a background wheaty, light maltiness.

medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, this beer catches a lot of flak, but to me it's a reasonably enjoyable fruit beer. maybe i'm biased from cherry wheat being an old favorite, and while i wouldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting, i find it relatively tasty and refreshing - a decent summer brew.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into weisse glass.

A: Golden yellow with pinkish hue. White head that has some decent staying power. Reduces to solid layer of white foam covering whole glass. Looks great.

S: Sweet and sour cherry aroma at first, mild wheat aroma toward the back.

T: Cherry up front. Finish is predominantly wheat with a very mild bitter tail.

M: Light-bodied and crisp.

D: I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. A refreshing, uncomplicated beer; just calling it "cherry wheat" is a pretty functional definition, because I didn't find too many other flavors hiding in this one. Gets an average drinkability because it was less enjoyable when I poured the second bottle. As always, scores are within the style.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold. There is visible carbonation and a very thin white head that laced the whole way down. The nose is pure cherries. Holy cow, I wouldn't even know this was beer all there is a scent of cherry and a splash of vanilla. The taste is similar and taste very cherry yet was not overly sweet. The flavor reminded me more of a cherry candy or cough syrup. I wish the beer had a slight more complexity in flavor or another layer or something. I enjoyed the mouth feel it was very smooth while still getting the carbonation tingling against my lips and tongue.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev +13.6%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.16 out of 5 with 3,886 ratings