Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,158 | Ratings: 3,823
2.62/5  rDev -18.6%

A - Pours yellowy, golden with a small head that flees.

S - Smells of cherries alright, a little wheat and alcohol. It isn't the sweet cherries you may be used to, but more the bitter, dark kind.

T - Cherries up front, cherries in the back. It tastes as if you dropped some cherries in a miller light, not too great.

M - It is a very abrasive beer, it doesn't kill your taste at all, but is very sharp, between the bitterness of the cherry and the carbonation, it makes it a bit of a chore to drink.

D - Not too high, in fact, I had trouble drinking one. I'm sure there is a segment for this beer, and with the low ABV it is a steady drinker, but not to me, and likely the majority of BA's.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass

A- a dull palish gold, slight amber. the head was big and white and thats why it got a 3.5 instead of a 2.5 like everything else.

S- smelt like cherry triamedic, nothing else.

T- this was not as bad as pete's strawberry blonde, but its close. the problem with this beer is that the taste is too much like flavored syrup and not enough like the fruit. also, the beer itself was wheaty, and quite bitter at the end.

M- smooth like a mouthful of nails, but at least they pumped some carbonation into it.

D- yeah um no thanks. the 2nd worst fruit/veggie beer ive ever had.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a light amber color with a large off-white head that dissipates slowly with a nice bit of lacing around the glass. Only a few carbonation bubbles are visible rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: An overpowering cherry smell. Smells good (like candy), but it sure doesn't smell like beer. If you have seen my review of Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic I said it smelled like somebody ate cranberry sauce and puked it up- this is kind of like that, but not quite as offensive.

Taste: Starts with hints of artificial cherry, and finishes with a very bitter but still somewhat sweet cherry flavor.

Mouthfeel: Relatively light with a deceptively heavy carbonation.

Drinkability: Not necessarily bad, but it is a bit weird. I would recommend it because it's different and worth a taste, but this isn't something I would get excited about drinking.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy/hazy. Yellowish, golden in color. Head is on the smaller side, retention is ok

Aroma: Blehh. It looks like they dumped Robitussin into the wheat beer, or something. Cherry does not have to mean "cough syrup". Wheat scent is there

Taste: Just like the aroma, which isn't pleasant. I don't like the taste of medicine I'm getting here. Especially since Robitussin is at the bottom level of cough syrups.

Mouthfeel: Lightish, carbonation is okay

Drinkability: Unless you have fond memories of your parents giving you cough syrup when you were a child, this isn't for you. Some actual cherry flavoring would have helped, but this one was not that. Pass. I'm glad I have a store where I can make my own six packs. I can't imagine dealing with 5 more of these.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy, orangish tan.

Smell: Cherries, very sweet, hint of malt.

Taste: Overpowering cherry malty hop wheat, confusing blend.

Feel: Med-high carbonation

Drinkability: One of my least favorite Sam Adams, but I can have one once in a while, but too sweet for my palate.

2.61/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a hazy dark gold color with a 1 finger head that quickly disappeared.
Moderate lacing clung to the sides throughout
Smells pretty strong of cherry and I could pick out the wheat at the end. Think of a cherry grain.
Very cherry taste with a mild grain aftertaste.
Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. Cherry/wheat aftertaste lingers for several seconds and then disappears.
As much as I love the majority of SA brews, this is one I will pass on. Just too sweet for me.
I do know that others simply love this beer so if you have not tried it for yourself, you should, especially if you can find a single as I did.

2.6/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a decent head that stays around a while.

S: The smell is totally dominated by a candied cherry aroma with just a hint malt.

T: Overly sweet cherry flavor reminiscent of cough syrup. Almost no other flavor is noticeable.

O: I had this beer about ten years ago and remember not liking it then, looks like my tastes haven't changed.

2.6/5  rDev -19.3%

I think this beer is a case of my expecting one thing and getting something entirely different.

This poured a clear amber/yellow much like a typical Krystal Weizen with abundant creamy thick head, quite nice. Smell is sweet with cherries with wheaty undertones, Also quite pleasant. Unfortunately that's where the pleasantries end. The cherry in this beer is more of a slight sour aroma with little to no sweetness, and aftertaste is a bit rough, mainly from the cherries.

Unfortunately, this one was a disappointment.

2.6/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Light copper orange with little head.

S - Cherry Sucrete's. The cough suppressent I used as a kid.

T - It's like dropping a Sucrete into a beer, waiting for it to dissolve, and stirring it, and finally drinking it.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - Not impressed at all.

2.6/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is golden, some material suspended in the beer. Pours with a 1/2 inch white head. Smells of cherries, almost like cherry syrup. The smell is actually too much, it overpowers any other scent in the beer. The taste has some cherry in it, but I was hoping for it to taste a little more like a wheat beer. Mouthfeel is a little syrup-ey. A little thicker than I expected, and not a lot of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but not something I will seek out again.

2.59/5  rDev -19.6%

I purchased a six pack of Cherry Wheat last night. I generally enjoy Samuel Adams brews but this one just did not work for me.

The appearance was pretty good, good sign to start with.

The smell reminded me of cheap cough drops or cough syrup. Maybe they should have just flavored it with real cherries and left out the artificial flavoring. The wheat is greatly overpowered by the cherry flavor.

The mouthfeel was pretty decent, not too good or bad either way.

The drinkability was low for me. I poured a glass last night and drank maybe four ounces. I really didn't like the flavor. I decided to give it another try tonight and drank it from the bottle. This time I did try to drink the whole bottle but could only get down half. I will rate the drinkability as average because it's not a heavy beer.

I've never had a cherry wheat, so this may just not be my thing. I'm not sure, all I know is that the remaining four bottles were thrown away tonight (the first time this has ever happened). This won't deter me. I guess it is worth a try just to see what your tastes are. I personally wouldn't drink this beer if it were given to me. It was just that bad, but I'm not a cherry wheat guy. But then again, maybe it tasted the way it was supposed to and I just hated it. Either way, I'm done with the Cherry Wheat.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It starts very well with a golden beer and a foamy white head with good retention. But it also ends there.
Smell is overwhelmingly cherry - very very sweet, cherry and more cherries, nothing else on the nose.
It is a very thin beer, with some cherry taste (lighter then you would expect based on the smell); it is watered down, very low carbonation (!) despite all that head. No punch, no kick, no other flavors. Aftertaste is water!
This is well below Samuel Adams' standards.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz brown standard Sam Adams bottle. Cap states "Brewmasters Collection". Amber-tan in color with a good size head that doesn't last too long. Very effervesant.

Smell is well, cherries and I don't mean the fresh kind. Sticky cherry juice with a hint of tabaco and earth. The taste is more of that syrupy cherry flavor with some malt at the end. Too fake for me. Some chalk notes and maybe something dry or bitter mixed in.

This beer is fake and flabby and not my style. I also feel it is overcarbonated as well. The flavors do persist at the end. Overall, this is not for me. It is everything that is wrong with fruit beer.

2.59/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Hazy gold in color, with a big fluffy head of foam
Aroma-Up front medicinal cherry, hints of wheat
Taste-Wheat, lingering cherry cough drop flavor, astringent
Overall, a dissapointment. I was expecting better when I saw on the label that Michigan cherries were used. The cherry flavor that I got was artificial and medicinal, and too pronounced for me to be able to enjoy this beer. Pretty unbalanced all around.

Jan 7, 2009
Bottle pour into Stella glass. Pours a reddish orange with medium white head. Definite aroma of cherry, not as much in the flavor. Malt, yeast, slight wheat. Lacing is okay. Better initial flavor, less at finish. Somewhat dry finish and less distinct flavoring. I do not enjoy the aroma, there is definitely a strong "cherry flavored medicine" smell going on for me. I would not purchase again. The rating is given within its fruit beer category.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearence: Light straw color. The head dissipates much quicker than most other Sam Adam's beers do.

Smell: Huge cherry smell. Overwhelming really. Difficult to detect anything else.

Taste: The cherry taste is present but it's not as overwhelming as the smell makes it seem. Very bitter taste.

Feel: It gives a very syrupy feel to it.

Drinkability: The brew's aroma is too artificial to really be able to enjoy drinking it that much.

2.58/5  rDev -19.9%

i am thinking that i am not really a fruity beer dude. i like my beer like beer. nonetheless i am trying some and this was the first. this is a good beer but a little sweet for my tastes. poured nice with nice stuff but the flava...not me.

worth a try. SA does have good products. just pay attention to the label (Cherry).

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.57/5  rDev -20.2%

I really don't know about this one, it was okay not great by any means. A touch too fruity for my standards, not over bearingly fruity but just enough for me to pass on this one. Over all I have had much worse as far as fruited beers go. Overall not too over powering but a little too much in a beer.

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a nice, cloudy, amber color with a nice head, and decent retention (poured from a bottle into a mug). Definately has a distinct cherry smell to it, followed by a malty smell. This beer has a very strong taste of cherry (as the name would imply) which I actually find to be too strong. There is also a fruity, then wheaty taste to it, but it is killed by the cherry. Went down easy, then wanted to come back up because of the taste of cherry I kept burping up. Overall, not a big fan.

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I did not like this beer very much at all, and I'm usually pretty game for fruity beers--but this didn't taste like cherries, it tasted like a Cherry Slurpee from 7-11, medicinal and sickly sweet.

That was my first thought when I smelled the glass and it persisted all the way through. The base beer is grainy and weak and doesn't hold up to the artificial cherry--maybe a stronger base with some punchy yeast would have made this better? I'll be skipping it from now on.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours lightly cloudy and has a sweet and tart flavor. This is one of the better fruit veggie beers that is not overly sweet or tart. This beer maintains a smoothness and has a slight hop flavor. But definitly will not give you a great name for having street cred.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a golden color with a faint haze. Maintains a creamy white head with decent lacing. The nose is dominated by a pleasing cherry aroma. A faint cherry bitterness is balanced out by a malt sweetness. While the nose is relatively fresh, the taste is of cherry cough drops. The initial sweetness on the tongue is quickly banished by dry, bland wheat. The wheat and cherry cough drop flavors are unable to blend together and both stick around long into the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with a bit of water in the background. The mouthfeel and lack of any cloying sweetness allow me to finish the beer, but I certainly won't be having it again.

2.55/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this beer to broaden my horizons. I hadn't tried many fruity beers in the past. Most of my experiences were with framboises, but I do know my wheat beers. Comes from living in Oregon and starting out with the Widmer beers.

This came from a bottle, poured into a pilsner glass at the local tavern (Cloverleaf Tavern of New Jersey, check it out).

There was a low head which dissipated almost immediately. There was a golden hue with some filtering (Captain Obvious says: not cloudy). Due to the quick drop in head, there was almost no lacing.

I took a quick sniff of the aroma, and someone dropped a case of black cherries on my head. Seriously, this is not a subtle bouquet. There was so much cherry, it smacked me in the face.

At first there was less cherry in the tasting, then it appears in the after-taste. With each swallow the taste got stronger, to the point where I almost couldn't finish.

I would probably pass on this beer if ever offered again. Not worth getting one for free.

2.54/5  rDev -21.1%

my sister just gifted me a 6 of winter lager, with 2 bottles switched out for cherry wheat to 'mix it up a bit' -
looks ok on the pour - clear-ish golden with a 2 finger right white fizzy head -
i have to admit that i'm drinking this at a bit warmer than it should be served, but...
yeow! the aroma of cherries? - yeah the marashino type as well as
cherry flavored lollipops - this smell is overwhelming and remains so with every sip -
the taste follows the nose and the cherry flavor is just awful - there isn't much more here, if there is the fake cherry flavor masks it all -
light bodied and crisp on the pallette -
man, i had to force this one down and need to move onto something else quickly to get the lingering cherry taste out -
makes cranberry lambic look like a champ!
if i have the second bottle it'll have to be ice cold,

** edit - ok , i've had the second bottle at proper temp - only a marginal difference for the better -

2.54/5  rDev -21.1%

First impressions are good; cloudy wheat-gold color with a pillowy white head. The nose is a little off-putting; wheat, with a strong air of unpleasant cherry-robitussin scent. Taste is initally very poor; like a bitter cherry pill. The wheat seems to become a little more evident after the first few sips, but it's still nothing special. The beer has a bitter, medicinal aftertaste that lingers after each sip. Definitely the weak link in the sampler pack.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)