Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 3,865 |  Reviews: 1,168

1.25/5  rDev -61.2%

Tasted like cherry cough medicine. Absolutely horrendous.

1.32/5  rDev -59%

Tastes and smells like horrible cough syrup. Drain poor. Worst beer I've had in quite some time. Not worth the money to try. Harsh fake cherry flavors, and nose.
I have liked most of Sammy's offerings this year but this is a total fail. Jim Koch, must not have tasted this one as it came out of the brewery, because it's completely undrinkable.

1.35/5  rDev -58.1%

Sam Adams usually makes winning beers. This does NOT fall into the category. Pours a nice golden orange which is the best part of it. Smells like saccharin and those cherries you get on ice cream sundaes. Taste? Well like those candy cherries and robitussen. It's quite nasty. At least the taste doesn't linger. Mouthfeel? so what. Drinkability? Well if you close your nose and gulp it, you can finish it quickly. What pisses me off big time is that this crap is easy to find, yet the double bock is damn near impossible to find. What the hell is wrong with you people????

1.35/5  rDev -58.1%

I am no expert but I know what I like and this beer is definitely not what I like. In appearance it is good ,nice cherry red and oakish brown blend,but beer is meant to be imbibed,not merely seen. It starts with the aroma. It smells and tastes like the cherry cough syrup my mother used to make me drink.This beer is so repulsive I am shocked that a major brewing company like sam adams(which has other beers I do like) could put something so horrible into the market. I had to ask my waitress for a different beer as I could not actually finish this beer. I was thinking maybe the bar I was at (stone face tavern ,abq NM) had served me yet another stale or spoiled beer (unfortunately a common problem with beers on tap in Albuquerque bars) but then I read a review from another guy on BA who said the same thing! Maybe I am breaking the rule of being constructive but I'm sorry there is no saving this beer or considering what the brew master was going for,this beer is nasty! I like cherries and I like beer but I would sooner drink pond scum than another sam adams cherry wheat.

1.36/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This beer is revolting. It's like someone mixed a wheat beer with Dr Pepper. I got sucked in by having bought and enjoyed Samuel Adam's Cold Snap (which is pretty good) but when it ran out this took it's place. Yuck. I am on the ground with minimal sight and following the lights to the exit. GOOD DAY.

1.36/5  rDev -57.8%

Paul's one-line review (mini-series):

A:Slightly hazy amber-orange. Piss?
S:Fake, candy, artifical cherry. Overdone.
T:See above. Horrid candy taste throughout.
M:Duality. Thin winey cherry, thick wheat.
D:I'd be sick if I had more than one.

Overall: Not worth it. This is a Brewmaster's Collection? Whatever! This is a hobbyist experiment gone wrong, at best. I truly wish Sam Adams would take this out of what would be an outstanding Summer Variety pack. As it is, this one beer bruises the eye of their Summer pack. Boo! Sam Adams. Badly played.

1.39/5  rDev -56.8%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. I could write this summary up in one word: cherry. Ridiculously overfruited, I can't smell or taste anything else. Very poor. Supposed to be beer with fruit added, not the other way around.

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

This is not beer. This is why I can't buy Sam Adams' variety packs. I always end up with 3 of these nasty bastards. Sorry for that profanity...but it is appropriate here. Don't waste your money, even if you your looking for something that's a flavored brew.

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

1.42/5  rDev -55.9%

OK, this one was bad bad bad. Tastes like discount cherry soda mixed with beer, or cough drops. Sam Adams was 6 bucks a 6 pack if you bought two 6 packs, so I picked up a case of this stuff. I would have rather had spent that 6 bucks on a 40 of Old English 800. Yes, this beer is that bad. If you want something fruity, buy cider or a malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice. This beer should not exist.

1.44/5  rDev -55.3%

Rich mouthfeel with complex overtones. Tastes like beer at first, but then it hits you - cherry. Fake cherry. Why do they add the super-fake flavor? Okay, BS - this stuff is cough syrup. Don't bother. The only person I have known who really liked this stuff was my last boss. Let's leave it at that.

1.45/5  rDev -55%

This beer is a disaster.

A: It looks decent. Like a Boston Lager with a dense, frothy white head. It looks drinkable.

S: What. The. Fructose. It smells literally like a cherry soda.

T: It tastes, unfortunately, like cough syrup, cloyingly sweet and sickeningly artificial. I'm given to understand that real cherries are involved in the process somehow, but I can't visualize this in context with the finished product. At the very, very end of the finish there's a burst of wheaty, warm, inviting malt that I wish was the whole beer. Alas but it is not. This is beer that prisoners would drink if they were out of pruno and were bored of sodomy.

M: Syrupy. Only enhances the cloying character of the taste, though in this case "enhances" only means "makes worse."

Overall, this is a beer that I would not give to people unless I wanted never to see them again. Got two of the damned things with my SA Summer Sampler. The Kolsch and Belgian Session had better be spectacular to make me buy another 12, because the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is punishment from God.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)