Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,151 | Ratings: 3,804
4.22/5  rDev +31.1%

Pours clear, slighty hazy.

Smells and tastes sweet and fruity.

Generally, I do not enjoy fruit flavored beers. But this beer and Saranac's Pomegranate Wheat are the two major fruit flavored beers that do it for me. Try this underrated Sam Adams if you enjoy fruit beers.

3.83/5  rDev +18.9%

Beer pours pale orange in color, with a head that doesn't last long.

Smell: Black Cherry Soda and maybe just a hint of hops.

Taste: Obviously, cherries dominate the flavor. Though, there is a very light pleasant bitterness that follows the finish. It really is similar to Black Cherry Soda.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp. Nothing to complain about here, nor is there anything to be excited about.

Drinkability: It couldn't be anymore drinkable than this beer. Very refreshing, crisp and just enough sweetness to make this a great summertime beer.

3.47/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

WOW. imagine cherry cola with hops.
This stuff is so potent its almost ridiculous, I bought it thinking it would have a subtle flavor and i was mistaken.
If your looking for something fruity that would seem manly its this beer.
It looks and feels like a wheat should but damn its sweet.

4.9/5  rDev +52.2%

A-Its got a beautiful color of Golden reddish brown it's very attractive.

S-It's got a rich smell of Michigan Cherries.

T- It's got a nice sweet taste, but not too sweet.

M- It is not overpoweing at all and that is a good thing. It also does not leave an aftertaste.

D-It's got drinkability alright! it's one of my favorite brew.

Its another great brew from Samuel Adams. Samuel Adams is probably my favorite beer company. The beer is great in a bottle and it's even better on tap!

3.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Obtained from: Sam's Wine in Downers Grove http://www.samswine.com/
Sampled on: August 20, 2004

Aroma: Strong cherry flavor is evident from the cherry aroma of this beer. Almost smells like a glass of cherry juice.

Appearance: Has a dark amber/orange color with a strong foamy head. Lots of carbonation in this beer. I could spend all day watching the bubbles.

Taste: It has a distinct cherry flavor, although it may be strong for someone who isn't into that. There is also a strong wheat flavor giving a refreshing afterbite.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, but awfully light on the body. Almost like it had been watered down.

Drinkability: Definitely a "dessert" beer, I wouldn't drink this with a meal. However it is refreshing and has a good cherry flavor. Unfortunately, it was awfully light - almost like drinking a flavored light beer - for my taste.

1.42/5  rDev -55.9%

OK, this one was bad bad bad. Tastes like discount cherry soda mixed with beer, or cough drops. Sam Adams was 6 bucks a 6 pack if you bought two 6 packs, so I picked up a case of this stuff. I would have rather had spent that 6 bucks on a 40 of Old English 800. Yes, this beer is that bad. If you want something fruity, buy cider or a malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice. This beer should not exist.

3.35/5  rDev +4%

Pours a nice light copper color with a fluffy, cream colored head. The head slowly subsides leaving behind a fair amount of lacing. Upon raising the glass to my nose one thing stands out, and that is Cherry, almost an artificial cherry like smell, but still anchored on the side of real. Smell of wheat barely sneaks in behind the cherry, but it's definitely there.

Drinking the beer after smelling is definitely a let down. In the nose there was nothing but cherry, now on tasting it's mostly your standard American Wheat Ale with a tiny bit of hop bitterness mixing with the cherries, and finishing with a slightly bitter cherry aftertaste. While the cherry may not carry through as advertised, it is a very drinkable beer, just a let down on the promise of cherry and wheat.

4.15/5  rDev +28.9%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. label notched at May 2011 for best taste.

a - Pours a nice reddish/mohogany color with one finger of nice white head with a bit of lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of cherries, wheat, bread, and fruity malts. Not as over-poweringly sweet as other berry& cherry brews I've tried.

t - Tastes of cherries, wheat, grain, bread, fruits. Does not taste like a sweet, syrupy soda like some others of tried. Kind of a nice dry finish.

m - Light body and high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing...

d - Very high drinability,not too sweet. The smell does not over-power the flavor as some berry/cherry/fruity brews do. Low ABV makes it easy to have a few and continue to function. I had 2 while preparing dinner...then 2 more with dinner. This beer went suprisingly well with a roasted herb chicken(cranberry sauce on the side), roasted potatoes & mixed veggies.
Then I had one with a slice of chocolate cake...delicious!

I found Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat tobe a versatile beer. Sweet enough to function as a dessert beer, but enough of all the the other things that make a wheat beer enjoyable!

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Medium brown body, white foamy head that sticks around for a while.

S- The cherry aroma is very strong and inviting

T- A little hoppy, strong tart cherry taste, a little malt follows

M- Fairly smooth, medium body

D- A decent fruit beer, but I there are much bettter options

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Orange in color and very cloudy with a white head.

S: It's a sweet smelling beer with cherry and grain notes.

T: Has a cherry flavor up front and wheat flavors near the end.

M: A very smooth/medium bodied beer.

O: I like how the flavors changed a lot from beginning to the end.

2.24/5  rDev -30.4%

My wife really enjoys this beer so I had to try it.

Serverd from a bottle, pours a nice lightly cloudy, amber color. Small head, laced glass nicely. Smells very strongly of sweet cherries, very nice... I just don't care for the taste, to me, although the cherry flavor is very evident, the hops overwhelm the beer. Mourhfeel is poor, the carbonation is too coating for me..

Don't let me turn you off from this beer, my wife ( a beer neophyte) loves it, but its just not to my liking.

2.99/5  rDev -7.1%

I got this beer in a Sam Adams mixed 12-pack.
Poured into a pilsener glass for lack of other clean glassware.
The beer looks very pretty, an light amber with burgandy overtones.
It smells decent, kind of a mix between a hefeweizen and cherry soda.
When I first took a sip of this beer, I liked it. It starts off in taste like a normal weissebier, which I love. However, with each additional sip, I felt like I was drinking Sam Adam's with a cherry Luden's cough drop in my mouth.
If you like cherry soda (think IBC Black Cherry) and Sam Adams Hefeweizen, you might like this, as it pretty much tastes like those two beverages mixed together.
This beer is refreshingly carbonated and I found it to be best when fairly cold (around 40-45F).
This could be a very good beer were it not for this artificial cherry flavor. It is very drinkable and refreshing, and wouldn't be a bad choice when trying to convert people from macros.
I couldn't drink more than a couple of these, though.

3.8/5  rDev +18%

The first beer that got me into the hobby. Great beer for summer cookouts and for casual drinking. Smell is great, fruity, but not overpowering. Very drinkable beer, i could sip on these all day and still not get sick of it. Not the best beer ive had but defiantly a good one.

3.87/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a strawberry blonde. Appears unfiltered.

Smell is of cherries and sugary grains. Very pleasant.

Cherries explode on the palate but is not over the top with very minimal wheat notes and a mellow honey nip. I don't understand where others are getting a an artifical flavor. It tastes honest and very natural with an earthy feel. This liquid medicine claim crap is getting old.

This brew has a washy finish rounded by a full body.

I always get giddy when I see these hit the shelves. If you are a cherry and beer lover then this is a perfect match for you. If you don't like cherries then don't even bother with this, plain and simple. This beer is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

Poured into snifter. Color was that of lemonade and ocean water (weird but what I saw).

Aroma was a little overwhelming of turnips and chocolate.

Taste was very good. The chocolate was more suddle than expected. No taste of turnips. It had a slight merlot flavour (must be from the cherrys).

Overall it is amazing. 5 out of 5.

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

12 ounce bottle in Pilsner glass

A: Reddish hazelnut with almost no head and light lacing.

S: cherry slightly sweet. with slight lager overtone.

T: Cherry and Sam Adams Lager mix. A little hoppy. flavor stays, but in a good way.

M: Mouthfeel is thin and cherry flavor stays till the next mouthful.

D: Not the best, but for some reason I Love this beer.
Great with Spicy Wings!!!

3.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A decent tasting wheat. Very refreshing. You can definitely taste the cherry but it over powers the wheat flavor just a hair to much for me. Little to no head. Has a very good smell, you can really smell the cherry. A solid wheat beer but not my favorite of the style either. Would be great on a warm day.

3.96/5  rDev +23%

The obvious and must abundant ingredient it the Cherry flavoring. I enjoy a little bit of fruity taste in beers. After my initial taste I could also detect a small trace of honey in the recipe that really made for a smooth blend that was light and crisp.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle given me by a friend. Freshness dated for July, so should be no problems there.

Pours a cloudy light orange, maybe a little less cloudy than I tend to associate with wheat beers. Head is nice, dissipating fairly quickly but leaving plenty of lace behind.

Smell is big round sweet cherry ... almost with overtones of marzipan or almond to me, very sweet. Doesn't really grab me that much.
The taste starts with more of the same big sweet cherry (whoever called it "maraschino" pretty much nailed it.)
Then the cherry retreats for a while and gives you some nice wheaty spiciness ... then it comes back a bit for a touch of maraschino aftertaste.

The label says this is made with "real cherries and cherry flavor."
Even though I really have no idea, I'm gonna suggest that the "cherry flavor," whatever it is, is to blame here.
The sweetness here is not a flavor I associate with unsweetened, straight-from-the-tree cherries.
It's not horribly cloying ... it's just not that subtle, and maybe just a little bit Triaminic-ish in combination with the wheat.

I like and respect the Brewer-Patriot, but I really didn't find this one of his more outstanding offerings.
I give it points for appearance and mouthfeel, and on a hot summer day I suppose I could put down a couple around the barbecue. But I don't quite think Sam Adams nailed what a really good cherry wheat could be.

3.84/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a stein.

Appearance is brownish orange, very carbonated. Head forms after a short pour with moderately sized bubbles, head color is ivory. Lacing is prevalent. Carbonation continues to form with vigor; many, many bubbles.

Smell is very strongly of cherries with a hint of wheat, very pleasing to the nose.

Taste is not quite as cherry-y as expected from the scent, but there is certainly a clearly recognizable cherry taste midway through the sip, with just a hair of a bitter hops finish. Mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel is a tad rough, and the abv is only 5.2 yet the alcohol is still felt once it hits the throat.

Not too heavy; certainly drinkable. Could drink a few of these in a row. The key is to be eating a food that compliments its sweet flavor.

All in all, I enjoyed this brew. I was not extremely impressed but I wasn't let down either.

4.62/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass
The appearance is a yellow orange with a decent foam head.
Smell is a very pleasant cherry aroma, not too strong or too light.
The taste is a refreshing combo of Wheat and cherry. I'm not a big fan of fruity beers, but, this one is by far the best I have tried.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, just the right amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable beer, perfect for that hot July day after doing some yard work or just relaxing in the summer sun. I recommend giving this one a try

2.95/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off top. Freshness date on lable.

Pours a light amber color that is somewhat transparent. Brings out a white head that disipates with minimal lacing with poor retention. Nothing speical.

Smells of cherries, artificial cherry smell, i guess like cherry candy. The cherry aroma dominates the smell.

Taste of cherry flavoring at first along with a weak malt bite. Somehwat crisp. Minimal hopping with very, very slight bitterness that doesn't last very long. Not too balanced here, but hell, it's a fruit beer catered towards a certain target audience who probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Fairly drinkable if you can stand the flavoring.

Notes: It's a fruit beer, so some people are going to like this beer, and some people aren't. I'd say it would be a decent beer to try once, or maybe a good desert beer, or something to go along with a salad. Still for what it's trying to pull off, it does fairly well. It's a bland wheat ale that's flavored with cherries, readily available.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Served a little bit over 50 degrees F into pint glass listening to ANIMAL COLLECTIVE (yes, "Merriweather Post Pavilion" leaked).
It sat in my glass as a pale yellow, approaching light gold towards the top. This beer sat very transparent as well. I was always under the impression that most "wheat" beers were typically cloudy (?). The pour created a 1 cm head that turned into a very thin layer after a couple minutes, and eventually just remained a thin ring as it fell towards the bottom of my glass during the drink. Minimal carbonation, and lacing that looked like it wanted to do something, but would just not stay put.
I did not even need to smell this at first. When I popped and poured it, a strong and very sweet cherry smell pierced the air of the room. Upon proper evaluation, I thought there may be a wood smell buried under all that cherry (perhaps the wheat?). Very cherry though, almost kool-aide
It was hard to notice any malt or barley, at least with first contact on the tongue, but I understand that it is typical in fruit-styled beers for these to take the back-seat... and hey, that cherry isn't as obnoxious as I thought it could be. In contrast to the smell, the taste was more of a mellower "wild cherry" that grew in momentum, and peaked at the finish. It not only subtly hangs around for quite a bit, but transforms into the wheat flavor somewhere along the way. I must applaud them for this complexity. The wheat flavors, even considering how subtle they are, are not the best I have tasted.
However, the finish happens to be slightly dry, and numbing. Yet at the very same time, it still almost has that same effect of overly-sticky beers (or CANDY), where you want to hawk a huge "lugee" afterward, and have to put another in your mouth just to get rid of that aspect. It's medium bodied, maybe slightly thin, but I love the carbonation level, and it does happen to be quite smooth.
In fact, if I had a 6-pack of this, I would not mind having a couple more, but I think the fact that it unpleasantly goes away like candy would really get in the way after a bit.

This really is not even a style of beer in general that I would normally purchase myself. But for what it is, it's not bad. I think I would only recommend it to novices who tend towards sweeter beers, though.

I have tried this beer twice and that is enough for me. It has a weird somewhat cherry after taste that on the first sip is ok but by the end of the bottle was enough. I have had worse beers but for Sam Adams I would have to rate this one the lowest. It is easy to drink and it has a good smell to it so I'll give it that much.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Pours a nice golden wheat color, short head theat rapidly fades.

S - It has a nice cherry smell on top of the wheat. Smells both sweet and rich in the cherry flavor.

T - Not very good. A low quality wheat beer covered by a hint of candy cherry flavoring. Neither one is enough to cover the other, sl they sit in an unhappy marriage on the tongue.

M - Macrolager feel. Heavy on the carbonation, light on the texture.

D - Wouldn't want more than one.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)