Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,151 | Ratings: 3,804
3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance - Appetizing gold/deep-peachy colour.

Smell - I loved the smell of this one, reminded me of fresh pie cherries which are a little tart. Also had a bit of that nutty, wheat smell, but subtle compared to the stronger smell of cherries present.

Taste - Wasn't nearly as complex as I was expecting; however, it is indeed a cherry wheat beer and it tastes as one would expect. Cherry intro, some people call it artificial tasting, but it didn't seem like that to me, and a smaller nutty aftertaste. So really, tastes how it smells!

Mouthfeel - Smooth, not very bitter, light on the tongue.

Drinkability - It doesn't really wear on you, so I'd imagine it would be a good beer for casual drinking. I liked it and I could drink it again, but I also wasn't wowed by it.

3.92/5  rDev +21.7%

Drank this beer on a regular basis years ago. The wife and I had a sampler at the Yard House that included this beer. I was reminded of years gone by.

This beer is a light cloudy amber color, not much head. Smells wonderful. Now I'm not great at describing flovors but it tastes great. Cold, bubbly and sweet....with a toasty wheat finish, really nice. If Sam Adams fruits the beer...I'm fine with it.

2.94/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer smells delicious. Very strong scent of cherries and very strong taste of cherries. Quite refreshing but a little overpowering at times. The only thing that is not satisfactory is that the beer stains the lines at bars and whatever is put on after the Cherry Wheat ends up having a faint(old) taste of cherries. The cherry taste is delightful but a bit too boastful.

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Not a fan of cherry but I figured I would try it. It's light but the cherry ruins it for me. Drinkable one bottle at a time but I couldn't have more than one.

4.33/5  rDev +34.5%

This beer has an emmaculent apperance. Clear and inviting. It has a very pleasing aroma as well. It has an excellent taste of cherry that is accompanied by a nice hint of malt that plays against the cherry very well. I typically find wheat beers to be a bit too spicy for my taste, but this wheat beer is excellent.

3.03/5  rDev -5.9%

I must say, this is a totally different brew in a glass. I reviewed this when I drank it out of the bottle. It tasted like cherry soda when I drank it out of the bottle. Now I believe I was "tasting" the aroma. It certainly smells like cherry soda, but tastes nothing like it. It pours a light copper color with a large head that quickly dissipates to a thin head-film. The smell is amazing, almondy-cherry. Tastes like almonds, hint of cherry and water. The mouthfeel is very fizzy leaving an almond aftertaste. It is light and drinkable. But then again, I really cant rate on drinkability. (I drank 1 bottle of Chimay Blue, Delerium Tremens and a bottle of Fort in 1 night!)

3.27/5  rDev +1.6%

A beer worth trying but perhaps not worth revisiting. I poured one from a 12 oz. bottle, and found it to be drinkable, inoffensive, but lacking in any strong positive qualities. The cherry taste is well-defined, but it blends with the beer in such a way that I can't escape thinking this is how a flat diet cherry cola would taste. Actually the body is much crisper than flat soda, and that helps make this an ok beer.

4.79/5  rDev +48.8%

A - Good lookin frothy pour

S - Wheat field with a ripe cherry tree blowing in your face

T - super smooth easy on your palate a little sweet

M - wheat beer. you all understand if you are on this site

D - good for a few. have something different an then go back for a few more.

3.07/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer is very sweet. I do enjoy cherry flavor, and this one is good, but I usually can't finish a bottle unless I'm sipping it for a while because the sweetness just gets a little overwhelming after a while.

A- A light amber pour with a marginal one finger of off white head.

S- The nose is one of domestic wheat and slightly cherry-like.

T- Medium sweetness from the cherries along with a small amount of tangy wheat.

M- Average body and carbonation

D- Lawnmower says it all for this one.

4.85/5  rDev +50.6%

This is a very good beer for something different now and then.
I get this in a growler when available and also in bottles. I prefer the growlers freshness.
Wheat aroma with cherry flavoring, I like the biteness in this beer.
Crisp and refreshing out of the fridge with a medium light body.
Good inch foam head but doesnt last long enough.
I get this on tap at a local eatery and they serve it up with a cherry in the glass tasty.

4.12/5  rDev +28%

Another beer leftover from my canoe trip. Those poor guys didn't get a chance to try some craft brew. Second out of my cooler is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I was looking forward to this one.

Appearance is good. A nice head that lingers for a while.

Smell is one of the best I've sampled. A strong cherry aroma.

Taste is good. The cherry flavor is out front and almost overpowers the other ingredients. Gives a slight cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. Feels like a good beer.

This is my first fruit beer I've ever tasted. I could enjoy a few of these.This beer is good, but I still have this sense that there may be a few too many cherries in the brew.

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%

I drank this, against my will, out of a 12 ounce bottle. This stuff is haggard. If i wanted to drink robitussin, i would go to the pharmacy and drink that. Samuel Adams beers are usually pretty decent, with some being outright tasty but this is terrible.

I'd rather drink King Cobra, good lord.

3.64/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

At first when I opened it I took a big whiff and really thought someone gave me cherry coke instead of beer. I took a sip and still thought I was drinking cherry coke. The Cherryness died off some the more I drank. The mouthfeel was alright. I dont believe I would ever choose to drink this again unless it was all I had left.

3.81/5  rDev +18.3%

Average apperance. A nice dark gold color. Decent head that sticks around for a while
The smell is amazing. A strong cherry scent with hints of fruit and hops.
Taste is incredible. A very strong cherry flavor with some earthy tones and a hint of hops.
Warning! If you do not like cherrys avoid this beer like the plague.
Also if you order at Applebees make sure you tell them to leave the cherry out of it. I don't need fruit in my beer

4.17/5  rDev +29.5%

Probably my second, or first, favorite Sam. Appearances aside, the smell and taste are out of this world. I can't sense a bit of bitterness to this ale. I am not a fan of cherries per say, but this is a flavor explosion to say the least. Reminds me a lot of a non-craft type beer with the pale appearance and drinkability/mouthfeel. can't quite place what the scent is, but I like it. Could drink six-bangers till I black out.

Highly recommended. No, really recommended.

3.02/5  rDev -6.2%

A: I poured the bottle into a glass. The beer poured a nice Hazy Gold color, with about a finger and a half worth of head.

S: I'm getting Cherries and lots of em, no hops really, but lots o' Cherry, and its not a bad thing really.

T: Slight malt, and grain flavor with a good dose of Cherry that starts out sweet when the sip starts and ends tart. No hop flavor, but cherry tartness does a nice job of bittering the end of this brew. (It's worth noting that as the beer sits and warms up the cherry flavor becomes more tart and the malt and wheat flavors come out a little more. Making a nicer more balanced beer)

M: Not good, not terrible, but far from what I'd expect, even considering it's a wheat beer this just seems thin.

O: Not impressed, maybe I let this bottle sit too long, or maybe I didn't get the best batch, either way, either way this is a brew I didn't really enjoy. The flavors are nice and pronounced, and the cherries do an adequate job as a hop substitute, but It was one I didn't really enjoy, the flavors were rather balanced and I did enjoy the aroma, but all in all this was a pretty average beer at best.

2.93/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Look: typical golden, cloudy wheat look with a tinge of red. Foamy white head.

Smell: overwhelming cherry aroma with some grain backbone. Cherry literally jumps into the nose.

Taste: something didn't seem quite right with this one... I can't quite put my finger on it. When I eat cherries, I tend to get a strange acidy aftertaste in my mouth afterwards. Maybe that has something to do with it. But it's just not a strong enough wheat overall.

Mouthfeel: a tad thin and watery but decent.

Overall, not an overwhelmingly strong Sam Adams addition. Just ok.

Link to my YouTube review of this beer:

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep yellow color that is almost translucent. One-and-a-half finger head that dissipates slowly with lacing.

S - Smells strongly of cherries. It's a big smell up front. Followed up by a yeasty smell.

T - Very little in the way of hops. Mostly a cherry flavor, but NOT like cough syrup. I'm surprised by how well the cherry flavor melds into the bready flavor of the beer.

M - Smooth. Moderate carbonation that rounds out the beer well.

O - A good beer, though it's hard for me to call it that. It seems like a cherry-flavored mixed drink with bread. It's something I'll remember to pick up in the future.

3.44/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just finished off two of these obtained in my Summer Seasonal 12 pack from Sam Adams.

Color is copper, nothing unusual. Head is minimal and dissipates quickly.

Taste is much more cherry than malt, but it's a pleasant cherry flavor. I enjoyed this beer.

I might not buy it by the 6 pack, but I won't be disappointed to drink this beer in the variety pack. Sam Adams could improve the beer by cutting back on cherry flavor a little in favor of malt, and getting a little more carbonation.

Stephen

1.36/5  rDev -57.8%

Paul's one-line review (mini-series):

A:Slightly hazy amber-orange. Piss?
S:Fake, candy, artifical cherry. Overdone.
T:See above. Horrid candy taste throughout.
M:Duality. Thin winey cherry, thick wheat.
D:I'd be sick if I had more than one.

Overall: Not worth it. This is a Brewmaster's Collection? Whatever! This is a hobbyist experiment gone wrong, at best. I truly wish Sam Adams would take this out of what would be an outstanding Summer Variety pack. As it is, this one beer bruises the eye of their Summer pack. Boo! Sam Adams. Badly played.

4.77/5  rDev +48.1%

grabbed a six pack of this looking to try something new. always a big fan of sam adams so i figured "why not?"
this is my first wheat ale and my first fruit beer so i was weary to say the least, i'm also not a big fan of cherries but i thought they'd probably go well with beer.
very nice smell poured a nice head that mostly went away in 2 minutes but a bit stayed. obviously a taste of cherries but with a very nice beer...i would love it without the cherries. near perfect carbonation. great beer to drink, only planned on having 3 but drank the entire sixer. anytime i see this stuff i'll grab one. very delicious.

2.97/5  rDev -7.8%

Very light color in the glass, after I pour it, one thing that I must admit is that the smell that came out of the glass was amazing!, very little head and minimal lacing, the taste was a little hopsy and artificial like.

Overall if you are seeking for a "liquid dessert" this might hit the spot but not something to drink the whole night.

2.89/5  rDev -10.2%

This beer is a once in a while thing, I could not drink this regularly. Poured with beautiful white head. The body was hazy with large particles averagely dispursed. There was almost no carbonation and the body hue was a moderately darker golden brown. This beer is rightly named. The aroma was thick with dark cherries that overpowered almost every other scent, although there was a light yeast at the bottom. The flavor was again overpowered by dark cherries that was heavily/harshly sweet with a light bitterness towards the end. The finish was average length with a tiny amount of bread and very acidic. The palate was a medium body with a watery and creamy texture and soft carbonation.

2.63/5  rDev -18.3%

gorgeous cherry amber color with a lasting faerie ring. this beer shows off its cherry jell-o and tart candy aroma nicely for those of us who are head over wings for fruity sweets. sadly, the taste does not fair as well as the scent. starting sweet there is a bitter end that smacks of cough syrup. clean and fizzy, oh so spritely, its still difficult to take in. fortunately, as the beer warms it does relax a little adding to the drinkability, and since you won't be reaching for your glass much, its sure to warm.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)