Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,163 | Ratings: 3,847
3.15/5  rDev -2.2%

This is my wife's favorite variety of Sam Adams, but don't be fooled. This beer is 0% wheat and 100% cherry cider.

(a) Pretty consistent of fruit beers, darker colored ale, resemblent of amber. Light lacing and one finger foam. (4/5)

(s) Smell is great, but very strong. All cherry and nothing else. Very promising...but (4/5)

(t) I understand this is a fruit ale, but lets call it Sam Adams Cherry slushy and just give the "wheat" to something deserving. Taste is overpowering everything else and every sip taste the same as the last. Needs balance, asap. This has the potential to be a great beer, but geesh, lay off the cherry pump. (3/5)

(m) Not sure what is to be felt here. Very heavy "syrup" like feel all throughout the palate. Very thick and slimy residue aftertaste. (2.5/5)

(d) Drinkability is another area where this beer is lacking. If im going to be limited to 2-3 beers you bet your ass its going to be with an Extreme American Ale. This beer is like too much desert, halfway through the second helping your immediately reqretting your decision to pick up the damn fork. (2.5/5)

1.88/5  rDev -41.6%

I've got to say that I was somewhat disappointed by this one since I found I like most of what Sam Adams brews.

A: Light golden/yellow color. A bit darker than Miller Light with a similar head.

S: Right away you're hit with the smell of cherry. It was all that came through in the smell.

T: Again, cherry. I was hoping for maybe a hint of cherry and a hoegarden taste, but no. Cherry and a slight hint of yeast is all I found. It is a very sweet beer.

M: Felt watery and only slightly carbonated. Not a real good feel.

D: I drank this one slowly and sort of regretted ordering it.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured into wisky glass.

Appearance cloudy light straw copper. Smell is a burst of cherry. Maybee a hint of wheat but the cherry dominates. Taste is an immediate burst of cherry followed by a wheaty finish. There is a decent head with lacing. The beer is thick and would be ideal for an after dinner drink. Not my favorite by any means but is great twist to a fruit/vegie drink.

3.13/5  rDev -2.8%

The pour was superb and it looked fantastic. Thick frothy head that seemed to stick around for days.

The aroma bordered on overpowering with cherries and the taste was almost a mixture of beer and cough syrup. Too much cherry taste for me.

The texture was good but unless someone buys it for me or it happens to be the last beer in the fridge I don't plan on drinking this again anytime soon.

3.45/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured hazy gold with a small white head with minimal lacing. Aroma was cherry and bread. Taste was cherry (surpise!) up front and strong with some grain, and an acidic/metallic flavor. The beer finished with a cherry flavor lingering for quite a while. I like cherry, so I thought it was pretty good and would drink again.

3.96/5  rDev +23%

A - Light amber color, finger head that fades quickly, lacing on the glass.

S - Strong cherry smell, a little chaff

T - Tastes primarily of cherry pie, smoky

F - Typical macro carbonation to mask undesirable tastes, wish there was less

O - Great beer, not sure why it's rated so low. I had low expectations for this one but I've been pleasantly surprised. Favorite Sam Adams by far, will buy again.

4.2/5  rDev +30.4%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat has become one of my favorite beers from tap, and every time I'm at my local Buffalo Wild Wings, its always my first choice.

Appearance- Pours well from what I could see, the bartender was in the way (probably wasn't a beeradvocate!!). The head was thin, but kept throughout glass, and had a little wisp, which common to most wheat beers.

Smell- Though artificial, I do enjoy the cherry smell that comes with the beer. Sam Adams beers are known, as least according to my palate, for their distinct smells, and I can usually pick a Sam out of a crowd. The cherry does overpower any traditional beer smell though.

Taste- Being a huge fan of wheat beers, I fell in love with this brew and I still hold in high regard among my wheat beer scale. The cherry masks any initial bitterness, and the aftertaste is calm and doesn't linger.

Mouthfeel- As with most wheat beers, a smooth drink is apparent, and the cherry only makes things easier

Drinkability- I find the first and second glasses to be sufficient for myself, because the cherry does become overwhelming as you drink more and more of it. Went extremely well with the burger and fries I had.

3.06/5  rDev -5%

Sorry, but if you enjoy fruit beers, there are many better examples out there.
I am a big fan of this breweries offerings, but this particular beer is far too reminiscent
of a dry soda. Also, it may be the phenolics mentioned in the review, I get a faint medicinal
background with this 'beer'.

2.71/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an average white head, which doesn’t last very long.

The aroma is very sweet and is about the only thing that I would say this beer has going for it. Color is a light orange, almost between a light and amber color.

The texture is smooth and goes down easy. However the flavor is less than I had expected. It doesn’t quite taste like a good wheat beer, or a good fruit beer. I think you might be able to recreate the flavor with bud light and some amaretto.

3.38/5  rDev +5%

A - Cloudy amber with a reddish hue. Clean white head.

S - Cherries, kind of an artificial cherry smell, like cherry licorice or something of that sort.

T - A tart cherry taste, kind of like cherry cough syrup but with alot of wheat beer tossed in. Tartness really kicks ya. I like it though.

M - So-so, nothin special.

D - This is a good brew but the tartness really eats away at me, I couldn't drink alot at one sitting.

My favorite Sam Adams. A friend in Michigan told me about this years before I could find it here in the South and it did not disappoint. This a beer for people who say they don't like beer and a nice dessert for beer lovers. It smells as sweet as it tastes but is amazingly fresh! And the sweetness doesn't taste artificial but genuinely seems to come from the cherries.

2.71/5  rDev -15.8%

The cherry aroma is very powerful in this brew - and the taste is a bit medicinal -- I had my 11 year old daughter take a whiff and she thought it smelled like her cough medicine - and I would have to agree. That said it is not a bad fruit beer. A pleasant amber color.

As it was too sweet overall for my tastes - I layered Murhpys Stout over the Sams Cherry Wheat and I must say it was a very nice mix and a suitable desert beverage.

I have not read much about mixing beers on this site - but in this instance I think it was a good solution and helped me to enjoy a few pints on a Sunday afternoon.

3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

Served from a 12oz bottle (exp. May 2007) into a pint glass, as paired with a meatloaf dinner.

Appearance: Brilliant cloudy amber color with a frothy two finger head. This eventually reduced to a 1/2 finger head, and laced down the side of the glass.

Smell: One of the more aromatic beers I've had, blooming of cherries.

Taste: A little hint of warmth behind the blossom of cherries, reminding me that this is a beer with one of the more pleasing after-tastes I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Rather light on the tongue, it feels almost watery (completely unexpected on my behalf)

Drinkability: O.K., lightly carbonated, I could use some more in that department, otherwise it goes down too easy, not giving you a chance to really take it in.

Would I buy this agian? Maybe, it went well with the dinner and the roommates all seemed to enjoy it.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

3.21/5  rDev -0.3%

I tried this beer with high expections considering it is sam adams.
I was unable to finish a six pack because it became to filling and the taste becomes overwhelming to me.
It is probably the amount of (cherry wheat flavoring ) that is in the beer. If it was a bit lighter then it might be improved.

2.8/5  rDev -13%

Fruity beer. Pours a nice golden yellow with very thin head. Taste is obviously cherries. This beer did nothing for me. It's harmless enough and maybe one or two would be ok butI just wouldn't buy this again.

Sam Adams has done better than this but for what it is it's ok.

Cheers

3.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The appearance is a little lighter than I like. A transparent orange/amber.

S- WOW! The smell is terrific. Just what I expected.

T- Not as powerful or pleasant as the smell, but satisfying. A definite taste of cherry is first, then an after taste of wheat ale that could have been a little bit smoother..

M- The beer is not as full as I would have thought it to be.

D- I enjoyed the combination of wheat ale and cherry and overall I would suggest this drink for those who prefer to be experimental in their beer selection.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a nice twist on a fruit/vegetable beer.

I love cherries but perhaps not as much as Sam Adams. They killed my palate with the overwhelming taste of cherry in this beer.

I liked the tartness of this beer and appreciate the effort in this beer.

I have a 6-pack to kill. I think I'll take my time with it.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Golden with lasting lace.

Smell: Fruity, nothing special.

Taste: Subtle cherry flavor, light bitterness. But all in all, it tastes like the medicine that I was forced to drink when I had a cold as a kid. I finished it on principal only.

Mouthfill: Crisp and balanced carbonation

Drinkability: For me, though there are some redeeming qualities, the taste of this beer is just not doing it for me. I won't have it again.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

A: Appears dark yellow, almost an Amber
S: Cherries galore...
T: Taste is good, a little overwhelming if you are not a cherry fan.
M: Smooth, yet not over done.
O: Not a bad choice on a cold night eating BBQ

Thoughts: While I am generally not a big Samuel Adams fan, I have been trying these out of respect to my fellow connoisseurs. So say this is one of the best, other wont touch it. As I do BBQ using a cherry wood, this helped bring the taste out a bit more. Nice combo...

3.93/5  rDev +22%

Appearance is a light amber color, with not much head to speak of.

The smell of this beer is lovely; nothing but cherries.

The taste of this one is interesting. A strong cherry taste is present and, at the same time, a hint of wheat. However, a strong wheat aftertaste finishes it off.

Mouthfeel is about average.

When I first started drinking this, I thought it would be too sweet to drink more than one or two bottles, however the sweetness doesn't seem to carry the weight that other fruit flavored drinks do.

2.31/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours great, looks great, even smells great. Cherries, a hint of brandy. Nice

First taste was not what I was expecting. As if someone had dropped a shot of cough syrup into the beer just beforehand, and it floated to the top. The initial taste mellows and is hard to notice later however, and it was rather easy to finish the pint off.

Not sure I'd buy this one again, and I'm a fan of every other Sam Adams product I've tried thus far.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance: Golden in Color...

Smell: Clean Smell. Instantly notice the cherry in the smell.

Taste: somewhat dry malt with just enough cherry

Mouthfeel: dry finish.

Drinkability: Personally I like the beer. would go great with a decent steak. No harsh aftertaste.

4.44/5  rDev +37.9%

One of the first Samuel Adams beers I ever tried, it did not fail to impress (as most Sam Adams would from then on). An unusual idea for beer I would think, cherries amongst a wheat beer proved to be a pleasant surprise. From the aroma, to the exceptional taste, right down to the craving of the next sip, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a recommendation I make when people are looking to dabble into new beers.

4.72/5  rDev +46.6%

This is one of my favorite wheat beers and certainly my favorite fruit wheat. This sets the standard in my house for wheats. Everything is measured against it. Great fruit in the nose and in taste. Carbonation is perfect, good head when poured. You can't ask anything more from a fruit wheat. When I introduce new people to wheat beer this and leinenkugel sunset wheat are the two I reach for.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)