Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams Cherry WheatSamuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 1,151 | Ratings: 3,804
3.2/5  rDev -0.6%

Served from a 12oz bottle (exp. May 2007) into a pint glass, as paired with a meatloaf dinner.

Appearance: Brilliant cloudy amber color with a frothy two finger head. This eventually reduced to a 1/2 finger head, and laced down the side of the glass.

Smell: One of the more aromatic beers I've had, blooming of cherries.

Taste: A little hint of warmth behind the blossom of cherries, reminding me that this is a beer with one of the more pleasing after-tastes I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Rather light on the tongue, it feels almost watery (completely unexpected on my behalf)

Drinkability: O.K., lightly carbonated, I could use some more in that department, otherwise it goes down too easy, not giving you a chance to really take it in.

Would I buy this agian? Maybe, it went well with the dinner and the roommates all seemed to enjoy it.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Shared a pitcher of this with great company over brick oven pizza.

Appearance is typical for a wheat beer, cloudy with copper color. Smells good enough, light wheat malt in front followed by huge cherry presence.

Taste is where this brew took a turn for the worse. Light malty palate smooth from the wheat, quickly crushed by an overwhelming, cloying, sickeningly sweet cherry presence. The cherry flavor is one-dimensional and tastes completely artificial. A cherry flavored candy or cherry cough medicine is what this reminds me of, not actual cherries. The body was refreshing but drinkability was non existent, every sip made me cringe.

I realize that fruit beers seem to be a very polarizing style. I enjoy them, but not with a flavor this overwhelming. I could barely stomach a glass but if you prefer a fruit beer with intense, in your face flavor this may be right up your alley.

3.21/5  rDev -0.3%

I tried this beer with high expections considering it is sam adams.
I was unable to finish a six pack because it became to filling and the taste becomes overwhelming to me.
It is probably the amount of (cherry wheat flavoring ) that is in the beer. If it was a bit lighter then it might be improved.

2.8/5  rDev -13%

Fruity beer. Pours a nice golden yellow with very thin head. Taste is obviously cherries. This beer did nothing for me. It's harmless enough and maybe one or two would be ok butI just wouldn't buy this again.

Sam Adams has done better than this but for what it is it's ok.

Cheers

3.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The appearance is a little lighter than I like. A transparent orange/amber.

S- WOW! The smell is terrific. Just what I expected.

T- Not as powerful or pleasant as the smell, but satisfying. A definite taste of cherry is first, then an after taste of wheat ale that could have been a little bit smoother..

M- The beer is not as full as I would have thought it to be.

D- I enjoyed the combination of wheat ale and cherry and overall I would suggest this drink for those who prefer to be experimental in their beer selection.

3.74/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a nice twist on a fruit/vegetable beer.

I love cherries but perhaps not as much as Sam Adams. They killed my palate with the overwhelming taste of cherry in this beer.

I liked the tartness of this beer and appreciate the effort in this beer.

I have a 6-pack to kill. I think I'll take my time with it.

2.23/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Golden with lasting lace.

Smell: Fruity, nothing special.

Taste: Subtle cherry flavor, light bitterness. But all in all, it tastes like the medicine that I was forced to drink when I had a cold as a kid. I finished it on principal only.

Mouthfill: Crisp and balanced carbonation

Drinkability: For me, though there are some redeeming qualities, the taste of this beer is just not doing it for me. I won't have it again.

4.05/5  rDev +25.8%

A: Appears dark yellow, almost an Amber
S: Cherries galore...
T: Taste is good, a little overwhelming if you are not a cherry fan.
M: Smooth, yet not over done.
O: Not a bad choice on a cold night eating BBQ

Thoughts: While I am generally not a big Samuel Adams fan, I have been trying these out of respect to my fellow connoisseurs. So say this is one of the best, other wont touch it. As I do BBQ using a cherry wood, this helped bring the taste out a bit more. Nice combo...

3.93/5  rDev +22%

Appearance is a light amber color, with not much head to speak of.

The smell of this beer is lovely; nothing but cherries.

The taste of this one is interesting. A strong cherry taste is present and, at the same time, a hint of wheat. However, a strong wheat aftertaste finishes it off.

Mouthfeel is about average.

When I first started drinking this, I thought it would be too sweet to drink more than one or two bottles, however the sweetness doesn't seem to carry the weight that other fruit flavored drinks do.

2.31/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours great, looks great, even smells great. Cherries, a hint of brandy. Nice

First taste was not what I was expecting. As if someone had dropped a shot of cough syrup into the beer just beforehand, and it floated to the top. The initial taste mellows and is hard to notice later however, and it was rather easy to finish the pint off.

Not sure I'd buy this one again, and I'm a fan of every other Sam Adams product I've tried thus far.

3.82/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance: Golden in Color...

Smell: Clean Smell. Instantly notice the cherry in the smell.

Taste: somewhat dry malt with just enough cherry

Mouthfeel: dry finish.

Drinkability: Personally I like the beer. would go great with a decent steak. No harsh aftertaste.

4.44/5  rDev +37.9%

One of the first Samuel Adams beers I ever tried, it did not fail to impress (as most Sam Adams would from then on). An unusual idea for beer I would think, cherries amongst a wheat beer proved to be a pleasant surprise. From the aroma, to the exceptional taste, right down to the craving of the next sip, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is always a recommendation I make when people are looking to dabble into new beers.

4.72/5  rDev +46.6%

This is one of my favorite wheat beers and certainly my favorite fruit wheat. This sets the standard in my house for wheats. Everything is measured against it. Great fruit in the nose and in taste. Carbonation is perfect, good head when poured. You can't ask anything more from a fruit wheat. When I introduce new people to wheat beer this and leinenkugel sunset wheat are the two I reach for.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Amber orange body. The top 1/3rd of the beer is slightly darker in color than the bottom 2/3rds. Poured a 1 finger head that quickly dissipated.

S - Very strong cherry scent. If you've ever tried the Haribo Twin Cherries gummy candy, it smells just like it. Lots of malts as well. It's almost too strong.

T - Tastes nothing like it smells. Cherry surfaces mostly in the finish. Very carbonated. Slight bitterness and maltiness as well. The more I drink it, the more the finish slightly bothers me. It isn't horrible, but it leaves a cough syrupy taste in my mouth.

M - Pretty refreshing. I like the carbonation level. Probably the strongest aspect of the beer.

O - If you can get past the aftertaste, this would be a nice beer to enjoy on a summer day. I found it pretty refreshing.

2.87/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a very pleasant amber with honey touches near the edges. Nice 2 finger head that fades to a thin layer, with very pleasant lacing.

The smell is fantastic of cherry, almost similar to cherry lifesavers. Which on it's own is very nice, very little smell of "beer" in the traditional sense.

The initial taste is not bad at all, but is very very strong of cherry. Suggestions of vanilla, but little in the way of traditional beer taste here, if it exists, the cherry blocks out the sun.

Feels like a standard wheat beer on the tongue, good carbonation, not too thick, not too thin, but undistinguished.

Two hours after drinking this, I was still trying to find things to get the brutal aftertaste out of my mouth. It leaves a very sickly sweet feeling, and thus makes this beer something to be avoided for now. I honestly think this one needs a retooling, tone down the cherry, make it less dominant, allow the other flavors to mingle more. If they could make the taste subtle (like Stoney Creek does with their vanilla porter) i would have been happier.

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat [Ale] poured from bottle to U.K. pint glass.

Lacing sticks strongly to glass. Relatively clear, little cloudiness. Brown honey, maybe light copper in color. Very strong cherry aroma. Starts sweet with a pleasantly mild aftertaste. The cherry is less noticeable in the taste than the aroma. The wheat is more noticeable after a few seconds. Mild hops. Mouthfeel was a little understated. Drinkable for session, but it would not be my first choice.

Overall, not bad for a fruit beer. I would have preferred a little more cherry flavor versus aroma, and stronger hops and mouthfeel. Not a bad beer by my standards.

4.07/5  rDev +26.4%

Appearance: A sensational amber color

Smell: Light sweet cherry smell. This beer had an exception aroma to it

Taste: You could definately taste the cherries, but not overpowering. Perfect for a warm day

Mouthfeel: Somewhat dry and fruity, deliciouso!

Drinkability: I do love the taste of cherries and somewhat fruity beers. On a hot day could probably put down a few of these.

3.42/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Hazy orange/yellow. Creamy, off-white head that sticks around. Decent lacing.

S: Cherry aroma is dominant.

T: Again, cherry is way up front. I do get some of the wheat flavor but I had to look for it. No alcohol taste, dryness or bitterness. If you like cherry, it's actually very drinkable.

M: Lighter body. Average carbonation.

O: Not the most complex of beers but I thought it was pretty refreshing and enjoyable. Would drink again in the summer.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

pours an orangeamber color with an ok head with ok retention

smells purely of fake cherries. I don't find the cherry smell to be very real, smells as if it's goign to taste like a cherry soda. No beer smell to be found

Taste is sweet but not in a truly cherry way (hard to detect the actual flavors). That and the wheaty stale bready taste is all this beer has to offer.

Mouthfeel is very sticky (since its quite sweet) and carbonated.
Drinkability is low, i drank three of these in a row and felt sorta sick from all the sweetness by the end. An alright brew.

3.7/5  rDev +14.9%

A decent dark gold colour with a very nice head and lacing.

Smells like an average wheat beer but with cherry very conspicuous.

More cherry in the taste than I expected, I could take it or leave it really. It reminds me a bit of cough syrup flavouring. The wheat beer behind the cherry is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is and good smooth with acceptable mid-range carbonation.

Drinkability is ok I could drink a few of these during the winter and probably enjoy them, but I wouldn't say that this will become one of my regulars.

I liked this beer when I first tried it I ultimately grew tired of it after a few years. Now I can raise a glass and fully appreciate the beer for what it is. Although, now I wish that this beer was a little less filtered and closer to a "Hefe". Overall a good drinkable beer with a slight cherry taste towards the finish.

3.01/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Cloudy, with poor head retention. Light orange color.

S: Strong, very strong smell of cherries. Although the strong cherry smell is to be expected, in this case it is overwhelming and reminds me of an artificial flavor.

T: Just as the smell indicates, the flavor of the cherries overpowers everything else. Although this is not my style, I think this is a nice tasting cherry wheat. If you don't want to taste cherries you shouldn't be drinking a cherry wheat.

M: This beer has a good mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O: Overall I would not buy this beer or go out of my way to drink it again. I have not had many cherry wheats, and do not really know how to compare this to other cherry wheats, but in general I think this is an average beer.

3.8/5  rDev +18%

Not as good to me as their Blackberry offering. Lots of wheat gives way to cherry. However, to me the cherry is a bit overpowering and drowns out other aspects of the beer, at least to my palate. Seems a little thin in the complexity area. Wouldn't hesitate to drink them if offered but would probably seek out something different in the store unless nothing else were available.

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

2. Sam Adams "Cherry Wheat"
*Bottled beer poured into a Sam Adams "Boston Lager" Pint Glass.

Appearance- Pours a light golden color into the glass, and the carbonation quickly coalsesces into an inch and a half head. Great retention. There is some visible carbonation and the beer leaves a thick, bubbly lace on the glass.

Smell- The beer gives off a rich, fruity smell that almost overwhelms the more- subtle scents of bread.

Taste- This drink gives off heavy tones of malt and bread. The taste of hops and cherry balance quite nicely giving the beer a taste that is not overwhelmed by the fruit.

Mouth Feel- Decent carbonation that tickles the tongue as you move the beer around your mouth. Crisp, with a light to medium body. Makes for a smooth

Drinkability- This beer is a good drink on a cold fall day. It is an entertaining experience from the moment the thick head rises over your glass to the to the moment that the cherry and bread flavors mix on your palate. My only problem with this beer is that the taste quickly becomes confusing to the point where I cannot tell the different between the cherry, malt or hops. That being said, each sip ends with a light, crispness that does not ebb as you continue to drink.

2.74/5  rDev -14.9%

After the pour there was little head and it dissappeard quickly. the body was a golden color and hazy.
The smell was that of cheeries, and very strong.
The taste was not too good at all, I felt that it was a very processed taste and seemed artifical and too sweet. It was like drinking a cheery soda.
The mouth feel was like that of a watered down weizen.
One of these is enough for me, it's too sweet to drink more than one. Not a good call for this one.

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)