Samuel Adams Cold Snap
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Cold SnapSamuel Adams Cold Snap
Score:
Ranked #48,791
3.45 | pDev: 14.49%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Samuel Adams Cold SnapSamuel Adams Cold Snap
Notes: Stirring from the haze of winter, this refreshing unfiltered White Ale awakens its smooth wheat with the bright snap of spring spices. From the subtle sweetness of orange peel and plum to the peppery bite of fresh ground coriander, the blend of spices creates just the right refreshing kick to signal that spring is on its way.
Reviews: 374 | Ratings: 2,495 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
defunksta from North Dakota

3.77/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear, medium orange color with a moderate to strong white head. SRM of 8. (4.00)

Aroma: Moderate aromas of white pepper, lemon zest, citrus spice. Mostly white pepper with some lemon citrus. Somewhat of a bready spice on the end. (3.75)

Flavor: Moderate flavors of white pepper and citrus spice. The spices include white pepper, white citrus, peppermint, light vanilla, followed by some light citrus and bread malt finish. Finish is smooth and malty.

Feel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Smooth and leans malty with a nice spice profile.

Compared to Stone Dayfall 7/11/21: Pours a similar color, but clearer. More bread spice, white pepper. Less orange, bergamot, and jasmine flower.

Overall: A pretty nice and easy drinking Belgian white. Tamer on the spices, however the spice profile of WHITE PEPPER, VANILLA, PEPPERMINT, and WHITE CITRUS SPICE definitely has a nice holiday feel to it. Interesting that it is brewed with plum, citrus zest, & grains of paradise. I don't get a whole lot of that here. Definitely a unique spice profile though. I would say it drinks well for the cold winter months with the spice profile. Enjoyable, not overpowering, and drinkable. (Final Rating: 3.77)

Jul 12, 2021
Killgora

4.72/5  rDev +36.8%

If you like Blue Moon like I do you'll like this even more. You have a white ale with a hint of orange that is not quite as strong as Blue Moon, but it makes up for it with the hint of the other spices it has been brewed with such as Coriander. I only wish it wasn't only amiable during the pre spring months after January. Just take a seat outside on a cold late winters day, and chill with what is so far my favorite While Ale.

Jun 07, 2021
AlCaponeJunior from Texas

3.79/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is somewhat akin to their summer ale, in that it's got added spices that spiff the aroma and taste.

Overall the beer is easy drinking, thirst quenching, and has a nice spice to it. Not spectacular, but tasty on a warm spring day.

Apr 13, 2021
TheStoinks1251Hoptilia from New York

4.55/5  rDev +31.9%

This has been my beer of choice over the winter, I am saddened that it is seasonal. This is a great delectable wheat beer with a smooth finish. My favorite game is try and snap a 12 pack out of existence in one night filled with debauchery. This was also the first beer I got on tap at a bar for my 21st, and it did not disappoint.

Mar 22, 2021
TheBricenator from Oregon

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Opaque rich orange in color with a frothy white head that swells up and settles to a lid, leaving good lacing behind
Aroma: Dried orange peel, coriander, cardamom, vanilla bean, clove, nutmeg, wheat bread, and herbal tea notes
Taste: Orange-led citrus, coriander, and vanilla come out in the forefront as waves of bready malt and herbal and spice notes trickle in, little by little. Herbs and spices hold the middle before the main flavors of citrus, vanilla, and wheat close it out
Mouthfeel: Full, soft throughout, medium-high carbonation, and a soft finish
Overall: I dig it. This is a fine witbier but is definitely unique in that I not only get plenty of herbs and spices not commonly found in one but the vanilla component is present and quite prominent. I think it works though it teeters on being too overpowering and if a vanilla witbier sounds off-putting, this one won’t be for you. Solid

Mar 18, 2021
Billet from Michigan

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

Interesting brew, I had some as part of the Gameday Beers variety pack. I like Wits, so I tried this one first. At first, I thought it tasted very much like a soda. Definitely not bad, it was nicely carbonated, mildly sweet, with a light citrus flavor. I had a second one a day or two later, and I didn't notice the soda pop flavor as much. Then, wouldn't you know it, it ended up being the first one gone from the variety pack by a good margin. I guess I liked it! Now planning to buy some more!

Feb 28, 2021
teromous from Virginia

3.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The label states "FRESHNESS MATTERS. ENJOY BEFORE MONTH NOTCHED." With a notch under "JUN."

Appearance: The body is a pale gold color with a lot of visible carbonation. It has a medium level of haze that allows for slightly hazy, dark shadows through the glass. The head is white and short with decent retention. It maintains a stucco textured cap. No lacing.

Aroma: There is a light lemon peel aroma and a bit of mellow cream of wheat. Hints of lemon grass.

Taste: Up front there is a flavor of wheat and lemon peel. The wheat character gets stronger in the middle and a light herbal character comes through. Every now and then there is a touch of clove that comes through up front.

Mouthfeel: It is medium-light bodied and smooth with a very light chewy texture. Carbonation feels good. It's very easy to drink.

Overall: It's a well made and easy drinking beer with a very nice texture. The label states that this is a "WHITE ALE WITH SPICES" but it doesn't have a lot of spice character; there's a bit of what tastes like lemon peel and only a hint of clove comes through. It's worth buying if you're looking for something light and easy that most people would have no problem enjoying, but if you like more complex yeast or spice characters this is not it. I could see myself drinking it again, especially if I were looking for a fresh wheat beer in the Winter.

Feb 11, 2021
1angrydwarf from Kansas

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It is a medium yellow with a slight haze. The smell is orange and coriander with faint vanilla. Taste is light grains followed by strong orange note and mild coriander which gives way to a vanilla after taste.
Overall ok to below average for a wit ale, but far better and more nuanced options are available. This rendition's addition of vanilla will be the deciding factor for most. The addition of vanilla didn't work for me. I prefer yeast prominent clove and spice esters well integrated into my wit beers. The orange and coriander come on stronger than a blue moon and the vanilla is very flavor forward and abrupt. I like a sublet approach that shapes the overall flavor with adjuncts into one harmonious note. This is not that kind of beer, instead you have disjointed single notes of flavor that fail to come together. It's not my thing but let your tastes guide you.

Jan 14, 2021
gvickery from Texas

Look: Don’t know, don’t care.
Smell: Rancid, like rotten fruit.
Taste: Like the smell.
Thank goodness I only bought a single. It was within the best buy date as well. I don’t know what this is supposed to be. I was expecting an American style wheat beer but this is horrible and unlike any wheat beer I’ve ever had. I only managed two swallows before I threw in the towel. Since their original is just adjunct bilge water I’ll be avoiding anything from old Sam from now on.

Jan 09, 2021
jkblr from Indiana

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle BB May 2021 poured into a perfect pint glass at fridge temp 5.3% ABV. The beer pours hazy orange amber in color with off white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and few bubbles. The aroma is coriander and lemon with a little wheat malt sweetness. The taste follows with semisweet wheat malt and accents of coriander, lemon and orange. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, good for the style.

Dec 30, 2020
Apellonious from North Carolina

3.74/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle from the spring (?) mix pack. A murky orange with a half finger head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of spice, some bread. Taste is spice/pepper and grainy/bread. The carbonation is medium high with a medium light feel. There are better white ales out there, though this one is decent enough if you like the style.

Dec 25, 2020
Shelbs90 from Montana

the taste is amazing. one of my fave beers. it’s very spicy slightly fruit wheat beer. very smooth to drink. i love looking forward to when they release it every year.

Dec 25, 2020
JoKo from Connecticut

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a cloudy, dark orange with spices floating with a 2 inch thick head that dissipated quickly, moderate amount of carbonation. The smell is orange peel and citrus. The taste is Citrusy, orange peel, and grains up front, malt sweetness lingers after each sip. The mouthfeel is light and overall highly drinkable. Not a bad representation of a Belgian ale.

Jul 18, 2020
Kenny_Gage2 from Missouri

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle: It poured a light gold/orangish hue with a slight haze and a thin, less than one finger head that quickly faded away with very little lacing. The aroma consists of bread/wheat, coriander and orange, which the taste parallels with a bit of a citrus in there as well. This is a very drinkable beer in my opinion.

Jul 13, 2020
BloodSoakedAleMug from New York

2.92/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Look: Pours a light copper tone of yellow / amber with a soapy head of off white foam. There's hardly any lacing but the head hangs around for a decent amount of time. Looks relatively bubbly for the style.

Aroma: Toasted wheat crackers and soft fluffy white bread. Backdrop of coriander and herbal sage. Vague hints of orange taffy and caramel candy.

Taste: Very rich for a 5.3% abv beer, not necessarily in a good way. There's a lot going on here and I'm afraid it's somewhat stifled under it's own headiness - almost cloying to a degree. Upfront; flavors of - it's hard to say - it's all over the place. There's this sweet backdrop of vanilla, which to my understanding is added to this beer. It tends to creep up on the tasting experience and then completely overpower it - leaving you with a very prolonged, overpowering aftertaste of vanilla and orange spice / caramel that overshadows the other fruity/hoppy flavors. It's hard to explain, but the vanilla isn't quite overpowering, until you get about half way into the beer - at which point it's all you can taste.

Spice is the predominant sensation originally. It's slightly tangy and fruity with big notes of orange / clove. Some ripe maraschino cherry. . . even some hoppy mango funk! I'm actually impressed . . . but then the vanilla and clove comes back in. It's simply too overpowering. I like the idea of adding vanilla but it's clashing with everything else going on. A real shame.

Feel: 5.3% that drinks like an 8% er. Hardly "bright and lively" with so much spice and cloying sweetness. The mouthfeel is incredibly heavy and at the same time slick; sugary. It's not bad but it's just too much for one sitting. It's almost TOO rich. This could pass for home brew wheat wine.

Overall: It's different, I'll give it that. I enjoyed it but I found it disappointing it was so unsessionable, I couldn't get through half a bottle before all I tasted was vanilla and clove. I'd love to try this without the addition of vanilla, or at least not as much vanilla. The quality is there! I just feel they over reached a bit here. Still, overall this might be a good winter warmer if you're looking for a "desert" witbier for lack of a better term. Its sugary, fruity, malty (caramel malty) and above all else, spice and herb dominated. It's not exactly as advertised - as being "refreshing" - with all it's complexity and overpowering spice, but I give it credit for trying to be different.

May 15, 2020
ASKasten

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Doesn’t taste like your traditional Witbier. Average color, and heads forms well but quickly dissipates. Slight bitter taste compared to sweetness. Spices overwhelm fruitiness.

Apr 04, 2020
Bshaw22 from Wisconsin

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap multiple times at Disney world.
Hazy yellow with small white head.
Smell is a little wit yeasty. A little lemony.
Flavor follows. Pretty drinkable. Way to drink on a hot day at Disney world.
Certainly worthy of drinking

Mar 07, 2020
Imperatum15 from California

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not much to the smell. Bit of the spices and orange peel. Little lacing in this beer and a hazy golden color. It does look nice. Coriander, orange peel, and a bit of hibiscus are the main tasting notes with other spices. Has a medium-light mouthfeel. Overall, this is a solid beer from Sam Adams. Better than something like Blue Moon and still sold at a good price.

Mar 06, 2020
Grounder from Illinois

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

Light amber in color, darker than your typical wit. Mild taste with fairly obvious citrus and coriander, does not really differ from start to finish, and does not not lean much into malt or hops. Easy drinker in a word. I got a single bottle in a pick-six, but this is definitely something I can buy in a case during the summer.

Mar 03, 2020
Jricci16

4.61/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this at the bar and liked it Enough to actually buy a case of it. It’s really smooth and taste really good. It’s kind of like a blue moon almost. Definitely a solid beer to have in the winter with friends.

Mar 02, 2020
HarryC from Massachusetts

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%

Pretty great beer with great spice notes. It’s been my go-to recently and I’ll buy bottles of it. However fair warning, the one time I got it on tap it smelled like vomit and I couldn’t even finish it.

Mar 02, 2020
mickyge from Massachusetts

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Kind of cloudy amber with not much of a head
aroma was not spice it was more lager like
There was some spice but mostly malt and a hint of lemon
mouth feel was kind of flat
Overall it was drinkable but tasted a lot like any other Sam Adams

Mar 01, 2020
Drui1978

4.56/5  rDev +32.2%

EDIT*** I just found my own answer. As soon as I posted, a description popped up. Cold Snap uses Coriander to distill, I am very allergic. Luckily the small amount only causes me that mild stomach reaction. This sucks, because I love the taste. I also can't have Bombay Gin because of the Coriander during the process.

The reason I give such a low rating-

I love the aroma, taste & feel. BUT halfway thru even a short draft, without any alcohol before it- I start getting a nauseous feeling. After a few times, I thought eh- my imagination, not enough food etc. Then, I got a tall one night after work. Started feeling the same, but WAY WORSE. As soon as I got in the passenger seat, I swung that door right back open- & you KNOW what happened, & BADLY. Wasn't near even a buzz. Tried again one more time, because I love the taste. Same after effect. Idk what it is... maybe heavier hops, too many flavors, I'm not sure. I work in Craft Beer & LOVE this one, but it does NOT love me. Makes me really upset, as I love Winter Pales. Never had it happen before. Thought I really had a virus or something.

Feb 18, 2020
Bito24 from Pennsylvania

1.41/5  rDev -59.1%

Probably the worst beverage I’ve ever had. Whatever the Boys from Beantown we’re trying to do was a big fail. The first few sips weren’t bad, but as you keep sipping the taste of rotten cloves takes over your whole mouth. Could not finish the glass and needed a Coors light just to rinse and spit the taste out of my mouth. STAY. AWAY!!!!

Feb 08, 2020
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

(12 oz bottle, enjoy before May 2020; purchased single... poured into fat tulip)

L: (a bit too) amber-colored liquid with slight haze; tall, loosey-goosey foam sponge, dying out in short order; thick, bubbly collar keeps... little-to-no lace (the image of it in glass on their site must be a photoshop wonder)

S: straight-up smells like Rolling Rock, under-ripe orange peel, unbroken non-Indian coriander seed... bland, industrial wit, but a bit spicier and pungent than a Blue Moon

T: wheaty-doughy, mild bread crust aftertaste, mellow dry-grass bitterness, light nutty (toasted coriander) essence lingering... second sip in, and a subtle candied orange note appears in the finish, lingering... halfway through, cookie-ish malt takes over; aftertaste settles into a spiced lemon cookie

F: static foamy-silky-gummy texture; carbonation lifts on the aft well enough, with a subtle spicy warmth helping to cut residual film... hearty enough body to stand on its own or be a light-enough companion to a greasy fowl meal

O: had this on tap (first time having it) about a year ago, and it was much doughier in bottom - seems like they streamlined it a bit, sharpened the spice perhaps... irregardless, this is a unsurprisingly dull, brewpub-level rendering of a wit - takes me back to the days when I constantly shook my head at SA for their seemingly endless, lame attempts at every known beer style (1645)

Jan 29, 2020
Samuel Adams Cold Snap from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 79 out of 100 with 2495 ratings