Samuel Adams Escape Route | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Escape RouteSamuel Adams Escape Route

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Kölsch

Availability: Spring

Added by WVbeergeek on 01-02-2014

1.1/5  rDev -68.3%

Poured from a brown bottle. Ya gotta love the brown bottles, I have had too many "sour" beers from those silly green bottles. Smell is good and invites an immediate taste, which I did without delay. Drank it at a little warmer temp. than I do usually and it tasted very good. German beer often needs warmth to increase taste, not always, but some. This "kolsch" imitation is just a good beer.

Someone noted it has "coffee"? Really? Have you ever had coffee? I doubt it. If there is "coffee" in this, it is a variety of coffee I have never tried in all my years and is, therefore, an unknown variety of coffee that should not be considered coffee. THERE IS NO COFFEE IN THIS BEER. My gosh, you goofy wimps want to make everything " floral notes" and "spices". This is beer, not interior decorating. There is some lemon, hardly at all, but it is there. Taste is crisp, hops comes in after the malt and provides a welcome respite and enhancement to the taste. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and very, very, very refreshing beer. YUM!!!

I wish Sam would wise up and sell this beer in its own six packs instead of only in those variety packs that force you to buy some crap beers to get one decent beer.

It would be nice if this company would not try so hard to agree with every stupid idea that comes down the pike in society today. I cant agree with them and will no longer buy their beer.

10/2016 update - uses GMO corm in their beers. I cant go with that. They say it isnt bad. Sure, just like what the cigarette companies told us????

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

2.07/5  rDev -40.3%

2.23/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.24/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Who secretly replaced my Sam Adams Limited Release Kolsch with Busch.

I tried nearly every Kölsch in Köln when I was there. (How many are there, 4 or 5?). This does not even come close to a Kölsch.

The point is not that this is an awful beer, it's mediocre at BEST, but moreover it's such a poor outing that I REALLY expect more from a Sam Adams product. It feels like the same weak seasonal brew shilling from lines like Blue Moon, and Shock Top, the micro pretenders.

Seriously, I'll take a Busch over a Bud any day - it's about the only Anh-Busch product I can stomach, but I don't pay $10 a sixpack for Busch (half that if you're lucky) and this beer looses at least half, if not a whole point for being a terrible value.

Is this a sign of we we can start to expect from Sam Adams; pointless and mediocre (if I'm generous) seasonal brews shoveled out there for the sake of competition and market share scrambling?

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

2.28/5  rDev -34.3%

A: Hazy golden color with a very foamy head.

S: Smells like a wheat beer. Some cloves, a little banana, and some malt.

T: Very watery with some of the notes from the nose. Not very impressive and overall just a flat beer.

M: Watery with some light carbonation.

O: Not a good beer. Definitely surprised me getting this type of beer from Sam Adams. Very flat and very watery. So far the worst of the Spring Variety Pack.

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

Drank from the bottle, I can't comment on looks.
The smell was of an average beer. Fair amount of carbonation. The taste was nothing special, for a seasonal beer, I couldn't taste anything to set it apart from your average beer.

2.43/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours with a medium, white head. Has a hazy, golden color. Aroma is not very pleasant. Sort of citrusy like an ale, but masked with an unknown bitter smell. Initial taste is fruity like an ale, but has a bad aftertaste of malts similar to what you would find in a Coors Lite. Personally, a sad failure from one of my favorite breweries.

2.49/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Did not like- not enjoyable kolsch for me

2.5/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Smells sweet, tastes sweeter. This overwhelms the usually savory flavours you get from kölsch lagers - if there are any in this beer. Not very true to style.

2.58/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Did not like taste at all. Bland . Not a good Sam Adams.

Samuel Adams Escape Route from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)