Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
2.96/5
Poor
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

4.9/5  rDev +65.5%

I loved this beer. FYI Monastic Triple are my favorite beers. So this ones thick heady body, rich flavors, aroma and alcohol percentage felt like home to me. Damn shame they don't make this one anymore.

3.97/5  rDev +34.1%

3.31/5  rDev +11.8%

Ran across a bottle in 94,can't say it was great beer,but as a liquor it was nice. Tried the 95 and it was not worth the cork

3.87/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This bad boy is seeing the light of day for the first time in 23 years. 1994 Brew Reserve, 8.45 fl oz. very interested in this year’s as I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about the ‘97 bottles...

Opening this bottle was the real experience here. The cork was soaked all the way through and ridiculously fragile. Had to angle the bottle and pull it out piece by piece with tweezers, as the plastic piece broke right off from the cork when I initially tried popping it open. Finally got it all out with nothing falling into the beer itself.

It pours pitch black and thick, like motor oil. No head, no lace, no carb.

The aromas are full of stinging booze, molasses, and dark fruit, with noticeable hints of soy and chocolate ringing through as well. It’s not an unpleasant smell by any means, but it’s strength is a bit overwhelming.

Tons of dark fruit, chocolate, and molasses,. Actually a very sweet beer, can’t imagine how it was fresh. Even has characteristics of a dessert wine or cordial. You get some small tastes of coffee and oak present as well. So much going on, definitely a slow sipper.

Thick, syrupy, and very sticky, a little too much so. Definitely no carb, with a nice light boozy burn that makes sure it’s felt all the way down the hatch.

Never did I think I’d get to review this beer. At $40 for the bottle, I thought I got it for a pretty decent price (even for a 8.45oz bottle)... a true classic from Sam Adams, one of the original “extreme” beers that was released to the public. Amazing to see how not only beer has transformed, but how this particular bottle has survived over 20 years. An awesome experience.

1.82/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

1.89/5  rDev -36.1%

1997 vintage, thanks Matty P.

A- Murky swamp demogorgon beast pour from the odd blue bottle to a taster glass. The cork broke off into the powdery, murky black body. No head, no bubbles and no lace.

S- Utterly strange aroma. A ton of soy sauce notes, marker solvents and big old dark stale chocolate. Alcohols and chemical feel makes me cough upon exhaling. Old raisins and generic dark dried fruits. Actually awful.

T- Takes the general feel from the aroma with the bitter soy sauce dark chocolate bar feel being huge leading right into bitter dried raisins. Massive long chain caramelized sugars reminding me of the hyperABV Bruery beers. Figs and dead dusty aged raisins.

MF- No carbonation to the syrupy thick body. Just a slick and oily texture with a warm boozy finish. Strange super dark cocoa gripping bitterness.

Been waiting to try this one for a very long time. The reputation lives up to the hype and boy is it strange. Bitter chemicaly cocoa and crypt keeper raisins. Words can hardly describe this odd experience.

2.81/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.97/5  rDev +67.9%

It's rare of me to even consider throwing a 5 rating out there, but this one impressed. I should mention it was a 1994 vintage that a buddy of mine had been gently aging for all this time, so it may not be representative.

Poured a deep syrupy darkness... like soy sauce in the glass. Nose was full of molasses, dark fruits, and a mild oxidation like port. It's a real sipper, to say the least. Treat it like fortified wine, not beer. The flavors follow the nose, and center around molasses, coffee, and a hint of cocoa at the edge. Long finish, not too sweet, reminding me of savory gingerbread.

3.71/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Now that it's officially 2017 and this beer is (in a manner of speaking) 20 years old, it's about to open this notorious, infamous experimental beer. I mean, it ain't getting any younger, and I'm sure it's long since peaked. Reading reviews, I've not been so scared to try a beer since Rogue's Beard Beer, but as long as it doesn't make me sick, I'll call it worthwhile.

Appearance is...well, this will probably be the lowest score I've ever given for this category. First off, the cork was dried out and it was a miracle I removed all the chunks of it without any falling into the bottle. Even as the top of the cork broke off, I could see the beer had permeated its pores and could already smell soy sauce and tar. It pours oily, pitch dark, murky brown, and completely opaque...until *thunk*, *shlurplunk*, globs and chunks of slimy black residue start making their way out. Again, only a minimal amount made it into the bottle, while I caught the rest with my hand and dumped it into the sink. If you open a bottle yourself, I guarantee you will lose nothing and save yourself some grief if you pour it through a cheesecloth first, if not a sieve or strainer.

Now here, rating gets tricky. I'll separate it into the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes, the 45 minutes in between I spent on it being a sort of transition period as the beer opened up more and more. Yeah, it was a shockingly different beer when I first poured it compared to the final sips. Right off the bat, I'm getting a ton of soy sauce, burnt malts, fermented, rotten molasses, and licorice. Frankly, it was too challenging to drink at all, let alone study. I mean, it was gross and weeeiiird. Oh, and that sludge from the bottom. Yeah, I tasted it. No, it wasn't good, at all. It was like dipping pond scum in salty prune juice.

But over time, those initial flavors mellowed out, became less harsh, and soon fruitier notes began to emerge. By the end, you could told me I was drinking a thick, strong port wine. Tons of red grape, fig, prune, and much tastier molasses flavors come through. Not getting much of the maple syrup this was brewed with, I'm sure but the overall flavor takes its influence from it. I have to say, I'm sorry this bottle took so long to start tasting good. If I get it again, I'll make sure to filter and decant for about 10 minutes before drinking.

Feel is thick, totally uncarbonated, and fairly gritty once you get towards the bottom, again, like a rich, unfiltered port. Overall, I think that while this beer turned out really tasty in the end, it sure took some effort to get there. And in all honesty, I could pay twice as much for a bottle of port 3 times bigger, and it wouldn't be far off, as opposed to Utopias, the descendant of Triple Bock, which is along the same lines but far bolder and more unique. So for the right price, I may go for another bottle or two. I've heard earlier vintages haven't held up well at all, so if you're going to try this, it might be fast approaching the now-or-never point.

One final note: I know it's a small bottle and I'm a heavy drinker, but this did not make me feel like I'd drank a bottle of 17% abv. I wonder...

3.54/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.53/5  rDev -14.5%

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Just opened a bottle of 1995.... Wow just that good...

3.09/5  rDev +4.4%

2.84/5  rDev -4.1%

1.97/5  rDev -33.4%

3.76/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +52%

1.27/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Well that is an unfortunate looking ''beer". Pours out ugly brown, looks like brandy, that listless of a head. So much alcohol. Like alcohol aroma is one million parts per million. There's nothing else there.

Taste had some barrel, like tasted/seemed like the actual barrel had disintegrated and made its way into the bottle. So much sediment and particulate.

This and Bud Light Lime are like the worst beers that weren't unintentionally infected I've prolly had. Pizza beer kicks this beers ass.

1.54/5  rDev -48%

I have a few of these bottles in my basement and I seem to forget that they didn't really age well.

For one, the cork dried out, and so it isn't really sealed well any longer, and I think that was the problem. I have old bottles of SN Big Foot, and Thomas Hardy's Ale and they are FANTASTIC, however this beer never ever lived up to expectations. Even when I consumed 'Young' version in the late 90's I was left unfulfilled.

Now here it is 2016, and I opened a bottle last night.

Yuck! Awful! It couldn't be poured down the drain fast enough.

There was no indication that there was any carbonation left, so I think that is a clear indicator that the bottle turned.

It has been a long time so I am not sure what it should have smelled like, but it did not smell bad.

The taste said it all.

1.88/5  rDev -36.5%

Just opened a '95 bottle. Definitely a soy sauce taste. Not enjoyable at all. Don't know if I'll ever open my '97 bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.2/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

After all the reviews I read about this beer I expected the worst but the bottle I had was a 1997 and was absolutely wonderful. Got it from a friend who had it for years great oak after taste with coffee and chocolate notes. Starts out sweet and finishes nicely with a fruity dark cherry coffee. Very satisfied

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)