Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
2.99/5
Poor
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 656 | Ratings: 963
3.58/5  rDev +19.7%

1994 vintage. Got a pour at a share and for 25 years old I was surprised that this beer did not taste bad. Very strong, very sweet, really no soy for me. I thought it was like a super strong stout. On the other hand I couldn't drink my whole sample.

4.9/5  rDev +63.9%

I loved this beer. FYI Monastic Triple are my favorite beers. So this ones thick heady body, rich flavors, aroma and alcohol percentage felt like home to me. Damn shame they don't make this one anymore.

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This bad boy is seeing the light of day for the first time in 23 years. 1994 Brew Reserve, 8.45 fl oz. very interested in this year’s as I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about the ‘97 bottles...

Opening this bottle was the real experience here. The cork was soaked all the way through and ridiculously fragile. Had to angle the bottle and pull it out piece by piece with tweezers, as the plastic piece broke right off from the cork when I initially tried popping it open. Finally got it all out with nothing falling into the beer itself.

It pours pitch black and thick, like motor oil. No head, no lace, no carb.

The aromas are full of stinging booze, molasses, and dark fruit, with noticeable hints of soy and chocolate ringing through as well. It’s not an unpleasant smell by any means, but it’s strength is a bit overwhelming.

Tons of dark fruit, chocolate, and molasses,. Actually a very sweet beer, can’t imagine how it was fresh. Even has characteristics of a dessert wine or cordial. You get some small tastes of coffee and oak present as well. So much going on, definitely a slow sipper.

Thick, syrupy, and very sticky, a little too much so. Definitely no carb, with a nice light boozy burn that makes sure it’s felt all the way down the hatch.

Never did I think I’d get to review this beer. At $40 for the bottle, I thought I got it for a pretty decent price (even for a 8.45oz bottle)... a true classic from Sam Adams, one of the original “extreme” beers that was released to the public. Amazing to see how not only beer has transformed, but how this particular bottle has survived over 20 years. An awesome experience.

1.89/5  rDev -36.8%

1997 vintage, thanks Matty P.

A- Murky swamp demogorgon beast pour from the odd blue bottle to a taster glass. The cork broke off into the powdery, murky black body. No head, no bubbles and no lace.

S- Utterly strange aroma. A ton of soy sauce notes, marker solvents and big old dark stale chocolate. Alcohols and chemical feel makes me cough upon exhaling. Old raisins and generic dark dried fruits. Actually awful.

T- Takes the general feel from the aroma with the bitter soy sauce dark chocolate bar feel being huge leading right into bitter dried raisins. Massive long chain caramelized sugars reminding me of the hyperABV Bruery beers. Figs and dead dusty aged raisins.

MF- No carbonation to the syrupy thick body. Just a slick and oily texture with a warm boozy finish. Strange super dark cocoa gripping bitterness.

Been waiting to try this one for a very long time. The reputation lives up to the hype and boy is it strange. Bitter chemicaly cocoa and crypt keeper raisins. Words can hardly describe this odd experience.

4.97/5  rDev +66.2%

It's rare of me to even consider throwing a 5 rating out there, but this one impressed. I should mention it was a 1994 vintage that a buddy of mine had been gently aging for all this time, so it may not be representative.

Poured a deep syrupy darkness... like soy sauce in the glass. Nose was full of molasses, dark fruits, and a mild oxidation like port. It's a real sipper, to say the least. Treat it like fortified wine, not beer. The flavors follow the nose, and center around molasses, coffee, and a hint of cocoa at the edge. Long finish, not too sweet, reminding me of savory gingerbread.

3.71/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Now that it's officially 2017 and this beer is (in a manner of speaking) 20 years old, it's about to open this notorious, infamous experimental beer. I mean, it ain't getting any younger, and I'm sure it's long since peaked. Reading reviews, I've not been so scared to try a beer since Rogue's Beard Beer, but as long as it doesn't make me sick, I'll call it worthwhile.

Appearance is...well, this will probably be the lowest score I've ever given for this category. First off, the cork was dried out and it was a miracle I removed all the chunks of it without any falling into the bottle. Even as the top of the cork broke off, I could see the beer had permeated its pores and could already smell soy sauce and tar. It pours oily, pitch dark, murky brown, and completely opaque...until *thunk*, *shlurplunk*, globs and chunks of slimy black residue start making their way out. Again, only a minimal amount made it into the bottle, while I caught the rest with my hand and dumped it into the sink. If you open a bottle yourself, I guarantee you will lose nothing and save yourself some grief if you pour it through a cheesecloth first, if not a sieve or strainer.

Now here, rating gets tricky. I'll separate it into the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes, the 45 minutes in between I spent on it being a sort of transition period as the beer opened up more and more. Yeah, it was a shockingly different beer when I first poured it compared to the final sips. Right off the bat, I'm getting a ton of soy sauce, burnt malts, fermented, rotten molasses, and licorice. Frankly, it was too challenging to drink at all, let alone study. I mean, it was gross and weeeiiird. Oh, and that sludge from the bottom. Yeah, I tasted it. No, it wasn't good, at all. It was like dipping pond scum in salty prune juice.

But over time, those initial flavors mellowed out, became less harsh, and soon fruitier notes began to emerge. By the end, you could told me I was drinking a thick, strong port wine. Tons of red grape, fig, prune, and much tastier molasses flavors come through. Not getting much of the maple syrup this was brewed with, I'm sure but the overall flavor takes its influence from it. I have to say, I'm sorry this bottle took so long to start tasting good. If I get it again, I'll make sure to filter and decant for about 10 minutes before drinking.

Feel is thick, totally uncarbonated, and fairly gritty once you get towards the bottom, again, like a rich, unfiltered port. Overall, I think that while this beer turned out really tasty in the end, it sure took some effort to get there. And in all honesty, I could pay twice as much for a bottle of port 3 times bigger, and it wouldn't be far off, as opposed to Utopias, the descendant of Triple Bock, which is along the same lines but far bolder and more unique. So for the right price, I may go for another bottle or two. I've heard earlier vintages haven't held up well at all, so if you're going to try this, it might be fast approaching the now-or-never point.

One final note: I know it's a small bottle and I'm a heavy drinker, but this did not make me feel like I'd drank a bottle of 17% abv. I wonder...

1.27/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Well that is an unfortunate looking ''beer". Pours out ugly brown, looks like brandy, that listless of a head. So much alcohol. Like alcohol aroma is one million parts per million. There's nothing else there.

Taste had some barrel, like tasted/seemed like the actual barrel had disintegrated and made its way into the bottle. So much sediment and particulate.

This and Bud Light Lime are like the worst beers that weren't unintentionally infected I've prolly had. Pizza beer kicks this beers ass.

1.54/5  rDev -48.5%

I have a few of these bottles in my basement and I seem to forget that they didn't really age well.

For one, the cork dried out, and so it isn't really sealed well any longer, and I think that was the problem. I have old bottles of SN Big Foot, and Thomas Hardy's Ale and they are FANTASTIC, however this beer never ever lived up to expectations. Even when I consumed 'Young' version in the late 90's I was left unfulfilled.

Now here it is 2016, and I opened a bottle last night.

Yuck! Awful! It couldn't be poured down the drain fast enough.

There was no indication that there was any carbonation left, so I think that is a clear indicator that the bottle turned.

It has been a long time so I am not sure what it should have smelled like, but it did not smell bad.

The taste said it all.

4.2/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

After all the reviews I read about this beer I expected the worst but the bottle I had was a 1997 and was absolutely wonderful. Got it from a friend who had it for years great oak after taste with coffee and chocolate notes. Starts out sweet and finishes nicely with a fruity dark cherry coffee. Very satisfied

1.02/5  rDev -65.9%

" Happy early birth day gift "is what the note said as I came home from work to find this sitting there alone in a corner"

' hits cigarette' let me tell you guys a story of suffering and pain. Commence old timey Noir scene.

Poured this into a pint glass in which the cork fell unto the bottle. Into my glass falls a blackened sludge without a trace of any head...only goopy thick garbage creating waves. Like walking into a wal-Mart bathroom only to realize a guy came in and dropped off his digested taco bell on the floor and it made a plomp as it landed.

It smells of the souls of those who were sacrificed to the dark Lord in the promised land of Hell.

The taste is like being in the middle of a human centipied in which the first person is fed only stale soy sauce and has a bout of explosive diarrhea all over your taste buds. I spat this out as though I was going through and excorsizm.

It feel the way you feel after potentially losing your fortune on the stock market.

Overall, I would rather have my gonads smashed by a ballpeen hammer or a slug destroying the vesicles of my unborn spermatoza children than ever take another sip of this.

I can only imagine finishing the bottle and going to the bathroom the next day.

And that my friends..is the story of the worst liquid I have ever consumed. A 1997 vintage of this demented liquidation that of which should be sacrificed to the void.

4.13/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Happy 21st Birthday, Sam Adams Triple Bock 1995 Vintage!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Well the cork died a long time ago. Other than that, pours flat, deep dark black/brown. No head, syrupy. Basically what I'd expect.

Smell: Maple and strong dark malt is definitely there, but there's an offputting metallic note too that I have no idea where it came from. Dark fruits, port type stuff going on. Was honestly expecting a LOT worse.

Taste: Lots of dark fruits, chocolate, with a bready note on the finish. Maple is here too. The dark fruits make it almost tart, again reminds me of port, or a really fruity pure dark chocolate. Not getting any of the dreaded soy sauce notes. Can definitely see how this was a precursor to the Utopias.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy thick, no carbonation of course. Decently long linger.

Overall: Honestly? I was expecting the worst. The cork and the metallic note is really all I've got to say bad about this. Everything else is pretty much par for the course for the style. Giving it extra points on this mark for confounding expectations.

3.74/5  rDev +25.1%

I wasn't going to do a formal review on this one, but how can I not, right? This is to celebrate a very successful fantasy campaign. Champion in 2 leagues and runner-up in the other. Cheers!

Meanwhile, I don't know how old this one is, but I guess it must be at least 18 years old. Cork broke as I twisted it open, so I needed to break out the corkscrew. The cork did not smell unpleasant.

A - On the pour it came out like non-viscous maple syrup, and that's pretty much the way it looks in the glass. It's a very deep, dark brown, with some not attractive redness when held up to the light. No head whatsoever. A drop dripped onto my hand at the end of the pour, and it stuck there like the aforementioned syrup.

N - This is extremely aromatic. Lots and lots of barrel (bourbon and brandy? bourbon and rye? Brandy and rye?) and plenty of bready malt. It's very sweet, and it's attacking my senses. If I hold it up to my face too long my eyes start to hurt. I guess it's time to dig in, right?

T - Wow, this is unbelievable. Not good or bad, just, maybe, the most complex thing, beer or otherwise, that I've ever tasted. I admit that I coughed after the first swallow, which was just a tiny sip. The heavy hitter here is licorice, an absolute blast of the stuff up front. You know that feeling in the back of your mouth/throat that you get when you taste something you don't really like, and you have a little trouble breathing, as if your throat is saying "please, no more?" Well, I'm getting some of that. This is probably a little too old to really enjoy, because I'm detecting a bit of sourness. Now I'm tasting lots of fruit, like Maraschino cherries, dried figs, and dates. I guess I kinda see what folks are saying about soy sauce, but I don't really taste it. It's just very, very sweet, and the sweetness is really lingering on the tip of my tongue. This is really not bad at all. Doesn't taste like beer, though, more like brandy.

M - Yeah, again like thin maple syrup. Nothing doing here at all. It's somewhat thick and oily, with no carbonation whatsoever. I guess that's what they were going for, though.

O - I'm SO glad I decided to buy this and try it. I admit I was scared, but this was quite the interesting experience. Not at all a bad beer, and not at all worthy of the reputation.

3.62/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

12/11/2015
Thank you Dave for sharing this rare keeper. 1995 bottle to glass. Cheers to 20 years. Look is purplish brown, no head, no fizz at all. Aroma is salt, soy sauce, dark fruit; alcohol is prevalent. Taste is plum, syrup, leather, raisin, dark rum. Very complex, this has held up very well. Read lots of mixed reviews and I’m sure some is due to taste, but the aging probably has a lot to do with the quality. Feel is un-beer like, syrupy, like a rum or brandy. This has been an interesting experience."

4.8/5  rDev +60.5%

Corked, capped and wrapped 330mL cobalt bottle that my brother has saved since the first release in April 1994. This bottle is old enough to legally consume the alcohol it holds! Served in a in a chalice.

Pours a muddy mahogany with no head and a generous dose of dull turbidity. A swirl produces some nice boozey legs on the sides. No lace.

Rich aromas of raisins, leather, wood, toffee/ caramel, fortified wine and faint maple. The cork it's self smells incredible after 21 years of soaking. Wow.

Holy crap. This tastes and drinks much more like a tawny port than beer. Decadent flavors of toffee, concentrated dark fruit, leather, dark cherries, maple syrup, raisins, molasses and earrhy oak. Every now and then a nip of booze peeks through to remind us that this is a sipper. Just fantastic depth to this.

Heavy, sludgy (in the best possible way) body with absolutely no carbonation. The syrupy goodness coats the tongue for a lingering, candy sweet finish of port, maple, toffee and earthy, leathery oak.

My experience with Samuel Adams Triple Bock was amazing. I feel quite fortunate to have the opportunity to drink from a well-aged bottle of the very first extreme beer's maiden release. This feels like some bizarre validation of my high-abv cellar dwellers.

4.57/5  rDev +52.8%

Rich smelling and tasting, lots of dark fruit with hints of chocolate. Had 1994. Couldn't drink a whole one but then again that's not the point. Guessing the bad reviews are from people who had badly aged ones.

1.72/5  rDev -42.5%

94' or 95' version. Can't remember which. Had one sip, tasted like soy sauce. Would have been good on rice or whatever dish soy sauce is called for. Could have given Kikkoman a run for their money.

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

900th tick but first written review. Why not? Here goes.

Appearance: Black, viscous with a hint of brown at the edges. A swirl presents legs not unlike a fine scotch. Perfectly still with zero carbonation.

Smell: Tar, prunes, black licorice, dark fruit/raisins, burnt caramel, subtle alcohol and wood.

Taste: Similar to the smell - plums/prunes, raisins, char, ash; very sweet but also has an umami-like quality similar to soy sauce.

Feel: Sticky, thick and syrupy with no effervescence whatsoever. A sip coats the mouth and lingers long afterwards.

Overall: This was the 1995 vintage so that makes it 20 years old as of this tasting. While this wasn't a great beer, it really wasn't too bad considering the notoriety and age. The cork self destructed when I attempted to remove it but honestly that really didn't bother me too much and I considered it part of the experience. Truthfully, this beer probably sucks but I was really glad to have the chance to try it and I get a great story out of it so I'm going to recommend it but it would probably be best shared with a larger group of people.

3.43/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1997 vintage. Very, very strong and extremely sweet. I enjoy it for the novelty, but I wouldn't want to try to get through an entire bottle by myself.

2.42/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle purchased in the mid 90's. After "drinking" one then, this one either sat on a shelf or was buried in a box for 20 years while moving from place to place. Finally decided to open it up.

There is some sort of smegma (don’t google it) around the cork and the neck of the bottle. No carbonation. Has a faint red to cola colored appearance – leaves a nasty brown lacing around the glass. Wow, the smell is definitely soy sauce. Can’t really get past it. The taste starts with an extremely sugary sweet or syrupy taste – just a mess – and then it goes sort of sour and sticky. The aftertaste actually gets to a stout.

Ugh. More smegma in the bottom of the bottle and clung to the side where it laid on it’s side for a while. There is actually a coating on the inside of the glass – a “crust” – like something you’d scrape off the bottom of a boat.

4.05/5  rDev +35.5%

Had this back in the day. So strong back then that I cut with Harp and other beers. Sipped straight but too strong for me back then. Reason I'm rating it now is the Dragon's Milk I had today reminde me of this beer but DM is drinkable by itself. BTW, with the cork, my last bottle of triple bock lasted for well over three years with the ocassional pour. I'd buy more in a heartbeat.

4.29/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so you can't drink this beer and think of it as a beer. It is, but it's sort of in a category by itself. This is a drink you want to have served in about a 2 oz. pour, not much more. It's a sipping beer that should be enjoyed as such.

When this beer first came out, I purchased a case. After tonight, I'm down to just three. I've had some from others over the years that were horrible. Much of the experience is going to be due to the quality of how it was stored.

I've had some over the years that were as many describe....soy sauce. I've also had some that were like tonight, a fine liquour, where the 8.45 oz. bottle could be shared by 5-6 people.

The exerience this evening was excellent...thick and syrup-llike, fabulous aromas and a complex blend of sweetness and malt experience.

Based on the 20+ times that I've tasted this unique brew since 1994, I am confident in telling you that the quality of the storage will determine the quality of your experiece. At this point, the cork will undoubtedly crumble as it did tonight.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is Russian Roulette. If you are lucky, its a pretty solid beer (especially with >15 years) but if you aren't you are in for a world of sorrow.

4.74/5  rDev +58.5%

8oz bottle poured into a HF taster glass. '94 vintage received in a trade a couple years back.

A- Cork slides out fairly easily without any crumbling. Pours a dark black, completely still- no head or carbonation to speak of, luckily no visible signs of the sludge that I've heard people complain about in the past. Wasn't expecting much carbonation from this, from what I've heard this is looking good so far.

S- Dominant aroma of chocolate covered port soaked raisins, just a hint of oxidation but not bad for 20+ years in the bottle, can't really detect much booze at all which is great considering the abv.

T- Taste follows the aroma with chocolate covered raisins, fudge, fine port, slight figs, molasses, and almost no oxidation to speak of. Tons of flavor and tastes like a very fine liquor that's been aged to perfection. One of the best beers I've tasted never mind factoring in the fact it's over 20 years old.

M- Coats the mouth and really brings out the flavor, starts off a little bit thinner then I was expecting and gets a little bit thicker towards the end of the bottle- overall probably one of the thicker beers I've had but stays away from being too cloying or overly thick. No carbonation to speak of but I think that actually helps this beer, goes down insanely smooth- almost can't even tell it's alcoholic.

O- Time and time again I've heard people say how horrible this beer is, almost the epitome of how bad a beer can get. I was expecting the same, but luckily this bottle was near perfect. Probably the second best aged beer I've had next to Rodenbach's Alexander. While I'd still exercise caution in trying to obtain a bottle, I can honestly say this is still drinking like a champ if a good bottle and one of the best beers of it's time period.

3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

This was much better than advertised, however I was told by multiple people that it's the best bottle they've ever had. I actually liked this beer which apparently is not common.

3.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12/30/14

1994 vintage. Thanks to Jeff for sending this extra a few years back. We opened this expecting it to be horrid, and we were all surprised when it wasn't. Very dark in color and still. The aroma has a lot of maple, and sherry and teriyaki oxidation. Date and plum are evident. It smells like a stepping stone to Milennium and Utopias. The flavor is rich with a big savory umami character. Lots of port notes, as well as plum, date, and maple. Teriyaki is evident but not overly so. It's very rich. It's pretty much still with much warming on the palate. Very rich and oxidized but not the nightmare I thought it would be. Can't drink much of this but it was definitely nice to try.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)