Samuel Adams Triple Bock
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
American Strong Ale
ABV:
Score:
2.99 | pDev: 37.46%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Notes: Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Reviews: 655 | Ratings: 962
Reviews by BeersAndBears:
3.75/5  rDev +25.4%

This was much better than advertised, however I was told by multiple people that it's the best bottle they've ever had. I actually liked this beer which apparently is not common.

I love many of life's indulgences: music, film, food, beer, BeerAdvocate.com, and so on.

With most of my strongest interests, I have a well-documented love for the best of the best...and the worst of the worst. For example, my favorite movies of all time include the widely-acclaimed likes of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "The Godfather" (parts I and II), and "Rocky." They also include the inimitable "Troll 2," "The Crawlers," and "Manos: The Hands of Fate" (try sitting through the non-MST3K version in its entirety).

As such, when I began to foster an abiding interest in beer, it stood to reason that I should seek out the most infamously bad beers available, in order to further my education and shorten my life. As of the time that occurred to me, Samuel Adams Triple Bock was the most notorious beer discussed on this site's forums. And so I sought it out.

I was sent a bottle of 1997 Triple Bock -- along with a "bonus" bottle of Blue Diamond Stout, straight from China -- by BA EinWeizenBitte. From California to Georgia. For free (i.e., he asked for nothing in return). Thus began my odyssey.

I held onto the already twelve-year-old bottle for a few months after receiving it, until I could share it with as many people as possible under exactly the right circumstances. Those circumstances turned out to be the night of my grandfather's funeral, at my homebrewing uncle's house. I can think of no more appropriate context in which to attempt drinking Triple Bock. My brother and I stepped outside to open and pour the beer.

Appearance: The bottle itself is small, blue, and unassuming. In fact, I'd go so far as to call that delicate vessel attractive. What lurks inside, however, is repugnant.

Upon removing the placebo seal around the cork, and then the cork itself, I was greeted with no evidence of carbonated life. I did my best to pour the beer evenly into two glasses, and it lived up to its reputation: it looked like fetid pond water, rife with suspended algae and the long-rotting carcasses of various aquatic fauna. Chunks of thick sediment clung to the insides of both the bottle and each glass. The end of the pour yielded an audible "plop," the result of a slimy wad of what appeared to be manatee feces entering the glass. My God.

Smell: Please, don't smell it.

Others have likened the stench of Triple Bock to soy sauce, but I suspect something far more sinister is afoot here. The souls of innocent toddlers, slaughtered by a demonic cult? The olfactory distillation of Genghis Khan's tyranny? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it smells far worse than any soy sauce I've ever encountered.

Taste: In each person's lifetime, one encounters a handful of turning points. A first kiss. High-school graduation. A wedding day. The birth of a child. For me, the moment Triple Bock met my lips was one such turning point.

As soon as the thick, tarry stool sample caressed my tongue, I knew I had been fundamentally changed. The rumors were true. Triple Bock tastes at once sickly sweet (like vomit after you've eaten a stack of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup), bone-chillingly sour (like soy sauce brewed in 1910, or vinegar derived from an eagle's tears), and improbably alluring. A second sip unveiled notes of mulch pile, fresh giraffe manure, and 9-volt battery.

This beer is a revelation.

Mouthfeel: Imagine giving a pint of blood -- you know, as you would at the Red Cross. Then imagine letting that blood partially coagulate, at room temperature, for maybe eight hours. Next, imagine attempting to drink that blood. That's how this nightmare felt in my mouth...and in my soul. As an added bonus, I could do nothing to remove the sensation, flavor, and smell of Triple Bock from my tongue, teeth, palate, and throat for several hours after drinking it. Even hard liquor couldn't cut through it.

Drinkability: Whatever the OPPOSITE of drinkability is, Triple Bock has it. In fact, it's made of it. I'd rather drink my own regurgitated bile than attempt to choke down another sip of this cruel, twisted monstrosity.

True story: While outside, my brother and I poured a little bit of Triple Bock into the bowls of the three dogs who live at my uncle's house. All three dogs, very hungry due to not having eaten since breakfast, ran toward the bowls, then simultaneously retreated by slowly walking backward. They appeared to be concerned that whatever was in there might reward sudden movement by attacking them. Such concerns were probably well-founded.

Truth be told, I strongly recommend Triple Bock to everyone who calls himself a beer connoisseur, just as I recommend "Troll 2" to strangers I pass on the street. There truly is nothing else like it in this world. It deserves every bit of its insidious reputation, and it will take years off your life.

Highly recommended.

What in the world is this? I tried two bottles, so it wasn't that one went bad.

It poured a thick black ... too viscous and clingy... and it left a weird brown film that reminded me of crude oil sludge all over the glass. Very unpleasant to the eye, but it was about to get worse.

As soon as it approached my nose I realized that something was horribly, horribly wrong. Soy, mixed with maple, combined with rotting fruit? The taste was even more miserable. Tasted like sour prune juice blended with soy sauce. This is one foul, nasty, undrinkable brew. Whatever they were going for here, they failed spectacularly.

Worst tasting thing I can ever recall consuming. I would rather plunge heated barbed wire into my tongue than allow this to ever touch my precious palate again. I curled on the floor of a shower and cried for a good 15 minutes until its ungodly taint left my flesh.

This beer has led me to make this solemn vow: I will pimp this product whenever possible so as to ensure that others experience the same misery I have.

Ok. i actually paid money to try this beer because i enjoy "HOT" beers, and figured it can't be as bad as some people say.

I was baby slapping wrong.

As soon as i poured it into 2 glasses to split with a friend, and we saw what appeared to be partially Coagulated Blood flowing into our vessels, we knew something serious was about to happen.

I am a FireFighter. I have smelled dead things.
and i would even give dead things an aroma rating of 1.5

I don't know what came over me to even consider sipping this after the visual and aromal onslaught. Afterwards i was begging to be water boarded, if it removes the taste great if it kills me great. Rotting Prunes,Plums,Figs,Musty Moldy Basement Water, Rotting Wood,Soy Sauce,Blood.

I managed maybe 2oz of my 4oz pour. then i poured it out, yet tasted it for days. Quite a few good beers majesty were diminished thanks to the lingering stench of death imparted upon my palatte thanks to Samual Adams and his fould beast Triple Bock. I will run and hide in its presence for all eternity.

3.71/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Now that it's officially 2017 and this beer is (in a manner of speaking) 20 years old, it's about to open this notorious, infamous experimental beer. I mean, it ain't getting any younger, and I'm sure it's long since peaked. Reading reviews, I've not been so scared to try a beer since Rogue's Beard Beer, but as long as it doesn't make me sick, I'll call it worthwhile.

Appearance is...well, this will probably be the lowest score I've ever given for this category. First off, the cork was dried out and it was a miracle I removed all the chunks of it without any falling into the bottle. Even as the top of the cork broke off, I could see the beer had permeated its pores and could already smell soy sauce and tar. It pours oily, pitch dark, murky brown, and completely opaque...until *thunk*, *shlurplunk*, globs and chunks of slimy black residue start making their way out. Again, only a minimal amount made it into the bottle, while I caught the rest with my hand and dumped it into the sink. If you open a bottle yourself, I guarantee you will lose nothing and save yourself some grief if you pour it through a cheesecloth first, if not a sieve or strainer.

Now here, rating gets tricky. I'll separate it into the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes, the 45 minutes in between I spent on it being a sort of transition period as the beer opened up more and more. Yeah, it was a shockingly different beer when I first poured it compared to the final sips. Right off the bat, I'm getting a ton of soy sauce, burnt malts, fermented, rotten molasses, and licorice. Frankly, it was too challenging to drink at all, let alone study. I mean, it was gross and weeeiiird. Oh, and that sludge from the bottom. Yeah, I tasted it. No, it wasn't good, at all. It was like dipping pond scum in salty prune juice.

But over time, those initial flavors mellowed out, became less harsh, and soon fruitier notes began to emerge. By the end, you could told me I was drinking a thick, strong port wine. Tons of red grape, fig, prune, and much tastier molasses flavors come through. Not getting much of the maple syrup this was brewed with, I'm sure but the overall flavor takes its influence from it. I have to say, I'm sorry this bottle took so long to start tasting good. If I get it again, I'll make sure to filter and decant for about 10 minutes before drinking.

Feel is thick, totally uncarbonated, and fairly gritty once you get towards the bottom, again, like a rich, unfiltered port. Overall, I think that while this beer turned out really tasty in the end, it sure took some effort to get there. And in all honesty, I could pay twice as much for a bottle of port 3 times bigger, and it wouldn't be far off, as opposed to Utopias, the descendant of Triple Bock, which is along the same lines but far bolder and more unique. So for the right price, I may go for another bottle or two. I've heard earlier vintages haven't held up well at all, so if you're going to try this, it might be fast approaching the now-or-never point.

One final note: I know it's a small bottle and I'm a heavy drinker, but this did not make me feel like I'd drank a bottle of 17% abv. I wonder...

1.02/5  rDev -65.9%

" Happy early birth day gift "is what the note said as I came home from work to find this sitting there alone in a corner"

' hits cigarette' let me tell you guys a story of suffering and pain. Commence old timey Noir scene.

Poured this into a pint glass in which the cork fell unto the bottle. Into my glass falls a blackened sludge without a trace of any head...only goopy thick garbage creating waves. Like walking into a wal-Mart bathroom only to realize a guy came in and dropped off his digested taco bell on the floor and it made a plomp as it landed.

It smells of the souls of those who were sacrificed to the dark Lord in the promised land of Hell.

The taste is like being in the middle of a human centipied in which the first person is fed only stale soy sauce and has a bout of explosive diarrhea all over your taste buds. I spat this out as though I was going through and excorsizm.

It feel the way you feel after potentially losing your fortune on the stock market.

Overall, I would rather have my gonads smashed by a ballpeen hammer or a slug destroying the vesicles of my unborn spermatoza children than ever take another sip of this.

I can only imagine finishing the bottle and going to the bathroom the next day.

And that my friends..is the story of the worst liquid I have ever consumed. A 1997 vintage of this demented liquidation that of which should be sacrificed to the void.

3.98/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

900th tick but first written review. Why not? Here goes.

Appearance: Black, viscous with a hint of brown at the edges. A swirl presents legs not unlike a fine scotch. Perfectly still with zero carbonation.

Smell: Tar, prunes, black licorice, dark fruit/raisins, burnt caramel, subtle alcohol and wood.

Taste: Similar to the smell - plums/prunes, raisins, char, ash; very sweet but also has an umami-like quality similar to soy sauce.

Feel: Sticky, thick and syrupy with no effervescence whatsoever. A sip coats the mouth and lingers long afterwards.

Overall: This was the 1995 vintage so that makes it 20 years old as of this tasting. While this wasn't a great beer, it really wasn't too bad considering the notoriety and age. The cork self destructed when I attempted to remove it but honestly that really didn't bother me too much and I considered it part of the experience. Truthfully, this beer probably sucks but I was really glad to have the chance to try it and I get a great story out of it so I'm going to recommend it but it would probably be best shared with a larger group of people.

This is, without a doubt, the worst beer I've ever tasted, and one of the most disgusting things I've ever put in my mouth. It makes Olde English seem like Chateau d'Yquem in comparison.

Looks like motor oil, smells like rancid soy sauce, tastes like vinegar, and leaves an awful vomitaceous aftertaste that just wouldn't quit. Foul, nasty, putrid, vile, repulsive, nauseating... there aren't enough adjectives in the dictionary.

Of course since they put it in a pretty bottle and charge a mint for it, some pretentious douchebag probably thinks it's god's gift to the local package store. What were they thinking?!?

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This bad boy is seeing the light of day for the first time in 23 years. 1994 Brew Reserve, 8.45 fl oz. very interested in this year’s as I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about the ‘97 bottles...

Opening this bottle was the real experience here. The cork was soaked all the way through and ridiculously fragile. Had to angle the bottle and pull it out piece by piece with tweezers, as the plastic piece broke right off from the cork when I initially tried popping it open. Finally got it all out with nothing falling into the beer itself.

It pours pitch black and thick, like motor oil. No head, no lace, no carb.

The aromas are full of stinging booze, molasses, and dark fruit, with noticeable hints of soy and chocolate ringing through as well. It’s not an unpleasant smell by any means, but it’s strength is a bit overwhelming.

Tons of dark fruit, chocolate, and molasses,. Actually a very sweet beer, can’t imagine how it was fresh. Even has characteristics of a dessert wine or cordial. You get some small tastes of coffee and oak present as well. So much going on, definitely a slow sipper.

Thick, syrupy, and very sticky, a little too much so. Definitely no carb, with a nice light boozy burn that makes sure it’s felt all the way down the hatch.

Never did I think I’d get to review this beer. At $40 for the bottle, I thought I got it for a pretty decent price (even for a 8.45oz bottle)... a true classic from Sam Adams, one of the original “extreme” beers that was released to the public. Amazing to see how not only beer has transformed, but how this particular bottle has survived over 20 years. An awesome experience.

4.97/5  rDev +66.2%

It's rare of me to even consider throwing a 5 rating out there, but this one impressed. I should mention it was a 1994 vintage that a buddy of mine had been gently aging for all this time, so it may not be representative.

Poured a deep syrupy darkness... like soy sauce in the glass. Nose was full of molasses, dark fruits, and a mild oxidation like port. It's a real sipper, to say the least. Treat it like fortified wine, not beer. The flavors follow the nose, and center around molasses, coffee, and a hint of cocoa at the edge. Long finish, not too sweet, reminding me of savory gingerbread.

4.29/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok, so you can't drink this beer and think of it as a beer. It is, but it's sort of in a category by itself. This is a drink you want to have served in about a 2 oz. pour, not much more. It's a sipping beer that should be enjoyed as such.

When this beer first came out, I purchased a case. After tonight, I'm down to just three. I've had some from others over the years that were horrible. Much of the experience is going to be due to the quality of how it was stored.

I've had some over the years that were as many describe....soy sauce. I've also had some that were like tonight, a fine liquour, where the 8.45 oz. bottle could be shared by 5-6 people.

The exerience this evening was excellent...thick and syrup-llike, fabulous aromas and a complex blend of sweetness and malt experience.

Based on the 20+ times that I've tasted this unique brew since 1994, I am confident in telling you that the quality of the storage will determine the quality of your experiece. At this point, the cork will undoubtedly crumble as it did tonight.

2.3/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to Francois for cracking this during his cellar cleaning.

A thick syrupy sludge like pond scum dark ugly brown with chunks of vomit like creatures lurking in it, pour out slowly and dribbly with no head formation, and who could blame it, I'd be running for the hills too.

The nose is super sweet, if that's a way to put it, loaded with what could only be condensed molasses regurgitated by a zombie. It has this really weird dank fruit aroma, with dark raisins and plums, wow some actual normalcies. The nose adds some burnt bubblegum soy based... thing.

The taste is more of the same, bringing lots of sweetness that makes my taste buds jump right from my mouth and out the window. My glands are screaming in pain from the sweetness. The molasses thick lucrid sauce slowly drips over my tongue and down the back of my throat. Swallowing doesn't help as my throat can't even force it down faster. It slowly brings some dark fruits, candied and burnt dark fruits, with even a little smoke. The finish doesn't come, or I can't tell when I actually finished the initial taste and when the finish started, as the thick syrup layers over all the remaining taste buds.

The mouth is super rich, thick, syrupy, and just doesn't go down easy. WIth absolutely no carbonation it doesn't give a break either. It's almost like liquid play-doh.

At least the beer was tolerable, but drinkability is even more non-existent than the carbonation. I can't even begin to explain how hard it is to swallow, let alone go back for another sip. Remember that scene in "The Lion King" where Simba has to eat a squishy bug like worm thing for the first time, it's just like that!

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

After sitting on this beer for weeks thinking that it would be a great new years treat, I am horribly disappointed.

The bottle a cobalt blue was corked and wrapped, making for a nifty looking package. It is all downhill from there.

The aroma was pure soy sauce. The taste was a sweet soy sauce, and rancid.

I think I might try it as a sushi sauce. not the kind from an authentic restaurant but from the local grocery store deli. As apposed to a drain pour, I'm going to use it as a prank on friends to watch them squirm.

Jim Koch, you need to look at what happened to allow this product to bare your company logo, and fix it fast.

1.41/5  rDev -52.8%

Yes, it's true! If someone would have told me that I would have had the chance to try the legendary "worst craft offering ever" (SA Triple Bock) and the infamously "worst macro offering ever" (Bud Chelada) in the same night, I would have died of glee. Turns out that, in fact, that DID indeed happen about a month ago. Someone brought a '97 vintage of the dreaded Triple Bock, and I celebrated later at a friend's by opening the Chelada beer. But, this is about Triple Bock, which allegedly makes your skin decay and makes puppies choke on their own drool. Poured out of a 12oz corked bottle into a tulip glass. I had the misfortune to do the honors, for everyone, pouring and all.

And it's no surprise, because holy hell is this a syrupy, thickened mess of a beer. Pours a black color that is extremely terrifying, as if you're staring into the the deep, dark swirling void of pure macabre and alienation. A mahogany, oily looking head coats the top, and leaves behind a sticky, highly disgusting look on the side of the glass that is a charming combination of molasses and coagulated blood. My hands were sticky for the remainder of the night with the few drops that slipped out of the glass into my hand. The entire cobalt bottle was stained black with each pour. I went around the table pouring this, looking at each spectator in the eye and observing the trembling passage of fear and despair as they would look into the treacle in the glass with knocked knees and progressively whitening skin. Indeed, the stark contrast of the dark concoction with the paling skins in the room seemed to portray the gray line of us crossing into the unknown in partaking with this beer, with no turning back as we approached our individual glasses to each of our noses.

Some have likened the aroma of Triple Bock to many horrifically exotic items that you should never consume, but to me, it simply smells like cheap Madeira - and that's pretty much it. Heavily caramelized, with lots of oxidation, with big umami notes of mushrooms, soy sauce, salt, as well as rotten plums. This is the catch with Triple Bock - it convinces you that it is a source of pure evil in its appearance, but then as you approach your face closer to the liquid, it materializes into a friendly jester of a spirit, telling you that it is okay to imbibe it, everything will be alright, and that the two of you are going to make fast friends. It's one thing to tap into the forces of evil, but to actually make *friends* with it?? For a moment we were a bit reassured, and the gray line tightened up ever closer. Together, we all took a sip.

This is perhaps the only instance in consuming a beer where I can, with full certainty, claim that the devil made me drink this. I don't even *believe* in the devil, but I do believe in the cold, disheveling apex that is the horribleness of SA Triple Bock. One sip, and terrible things begin to happen. Beer turns into soy sauce - soy sauce turns into oil - oil turns into blood - and the blood that descends burns, and latches itself to the sides of the tongue and the inner areas of the esophagus, without fully letting go. Dumping the rest of the beer in a bucket, we realized that it was too late - the demented liquid had already created a symbiotic, Succubus-like connection within our body, and indeed, had latched itself into the deep recesses of our very souls, forever changing us, and forever showing us the truth of what happens as soon as the gray line closes up upon us. Never would we drink beer the same way again, and never would we find something seemingly designed for imbibing that would perhaps be a better condiment for rice, bok choy, eggplant, and other Eastern varieties. Truly sinister and unforgiving.

It truly takes a horrible beer to appreciate even the most mediocre offerings on the market ever more. Indeed, the worst part about our tainted souls from exposure to Triple Bock is that we are now willing to present this to everyone that we can, with any chance we get. It doesn't only change your life by inflicting major pain on your psyche - its true evil is that it compels you to order something, *anything*, as your next beverage, perhaps as an effort to cleanse your palate of its malign profile, or perhaps as a way to forget you ever had the experience with as much cheap booze as you can get your hands on. Highly recommended in every sense of the word.

4.54/5  rDev +51.8%

The colour is black with a tint of brown. There is no head at all. The liquid is clear and quite viscous; it leaves a brown, sticky curtain on the glass. Wow!

The smell is one of the most strong and complex that I have ever encountered! There are notes of soy sauce, chocolate sauce, port wine, marzipan and cherries. A friend of mine at the testing tried to imitate the smell by blending cherry brandy, soy sauce, port wine and cocoa but that witches' brew got a much milder smell.

There are just traces of carbonation. The liquid is very sweet, making it sticky in the mouth.

The taste is very intense, intricate and exacting: There are those notes of soy, dark chocolate, dried fruits, strong wine, cherry liqueur and that kind of “grown up candy” with cherries in liqueur and marzipan covered in dark chocolate. An interesting fact is the total absence of alcohol in the taste. The aftertaste is long with notes of candied cherries and strong wine.

I found this beer an “extreme beer” indeed, it is very demanding but a very interesting experience to have drunk.

4.25/5  rDev +42.1%

When looking at an historic beer from a given point-in-time, it's crucial to temper any concerns about the aged beer with the perspective of what the brewer was trying to achieve in 1994. Now that this beer is 20 years old, I decided to open this on the week before Oktoberfest on a crisp, cool autumn evening in the DC area. To be sure, we cannot take lightly the fact that this beer has aged for two decades, and for the past six years, it remained out of my control--though it was assured by friends or colleagues to have been either cellared or refrigerated for the duration.

Appearance: The 330 ml bottle displayed an indigo iridescence which pestered me every time I opened the fridge. The entire cork eased out with an audible "pff", to my surprise. A slow pour into a snifter felt slow and heavy. It reminded me of a very fancy balsamic vinegar--the kind which is aged for decades. Coincidentally, I noted other characteristics which reminded me of this as well. No visible head. A thin band of translucent, viscous syrup sat alone atop a vast, dense black void.

Aroma:
Several factors at play here--some due to the barrel aging; some due to the linear time in the bottle: strong vanilla, more like a dark rum in many ways than a bourbon-type aroma. hints of booze permeate the bouquet. Cherry, toffee, and possibly some wood-like aromas emerge.

Flavor:
Strong characteristics of both balsamic vinegar and chocolate syrup. A boozy backbone quickly rises and falls quickly. Some lingering sticky and astringent flavors. Reminds me of similarly aged strong bocks/ales such as Sammichlaus. The strong fruity flavors shot straight up my nose, while the malty backbone stayed on my tongue. Efficient, like the Germans (or in this case, American brewers) often are.

Mouthfeel:
Sticky but not harsh. The beer retained a full body all these years and if anything else, perhaps offset any harshness of alcohol with the high quality malt backbone it wants to show.

Overall:
I want to think that this beer bottle, despite its age, fared better than most negative reviews I am reading. Indeed, it lacks some complexities which no doubt have faded over two decades, but it's a cozy beer which makes me think about where we were as a beer nation in 1994. The Beer Hunter was a brand new program/book, most of the "third generation" brewers like Stone, Dogfish, Avery, and Allagash were either glimmers or not even started yet. It's envelope-pushing beers like this that likely set the stage for extreme beers and extreme brewing. Would we be here today without this? Probably. But Triple Bock got Europe's attention that we were about to deviate from their traditions, and never look back.

1.28/5  rDev -57.2%

As others have said: gorgeous packaging. Lovely bottle, attractive script... quite nice.

But also as others have said, this is one horrid concoction.

Imagine, if you will, half a cup of strong, black, chocolate-flavored coffee, chilled. Imagine that you top it up with soy sauce.

This, then, would be the triple bock.

And nearly as startling as the revolting taste and soy-sauce aroma is the fact that this brew has no head whatsoever. Not a bubble. I ranked it a 2 rather than a 1, however, because its color is quite nice.

I love Samuel Adams brews, generally, but good gravy, BAs... don't drink this.

1.5/5  rDev -49.8%

2.75/5  rDev -8%

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%

This bottle has no vintage. I am informed that this means it's a 1997 vintage, but I can't find any confirmation of that on the Samuel Adams website.

Appearance: Well, it doesn't look like much of a beer. It has no head or lacing at all. It's almost completely still. Very dark, rich brown color.

Smell: Very enticing smell. Rich chocolate aroma predominates, with hints of passion fruit and a faint trace of mint. A very earthy, almost musty smell. No hop character at all.

Taste: Wow. The chocolate hinted at by the aroma is delivered in spades on the palate. You're hit with the chocolate flavor almost immediately. The strong flavor of passion fruit hits you mid-palate. The finish is exceptionally long and drawn out, consisting of a noticable alcohol burn and strong overtones of single-malt scotch.

Mouthfeel: Personal preference, but I would prefer a small amount of carbonation. That said, the mouthfeel is very straightforward. It's like sipping a good single-malt. Silky and viscous.

Drinkability: I'm always kind of reluctant to rate the drinkability. To me, "drinkability" suggests the ability to quaff one after the other. The beers which are the most drinkable are rarely the most interesting beers, and the most interesting beers aren't always the most drinkable.

Be that as it may, I can't really imagine having more than one of these in a given drinking session. But don't let that stop you. This is an outstanding beer, and I heartily recommend it.

'97 Vintage, shared with a brave friend of mine.

A - Pours a murky dark brown, like liquified excrement. No head at all. My friend got some gooey solid substance with his half of the pour. A thin, mucus-like film clings to the glass where there would normally be lacing.

S - Smells like soy sauce blended with prune juice. Lots of repugnant sweetness. Raisin notes are there, but not in a good barlywine-esque way. More in a "My God, can this thing smell any more horrific" kind of way. Some notes of rotting wood come through as well. Not pleasant.

T - Soy sauce dominates yet again with strong and unpleasant raisin and molasses notes backing it up. The sweetness is overbearing, but there's a lot of saltiness to it as well. I'm also picking up some prune juice. Salty soy sauce flavors linger on the palate just strongly enough to make you run for a chaser to get that gawdawful taste out.

M - Syrupy and gooey. The sharp salty sweetness of it actually stings the inside of the mouth a little.

D - This is hands-down the most horrifyingly disgusting substance that I've ever put in my mouth. I'm not sure what it tasted like fresh, but it's painfully clear that this stuff is far past its prime. My friend suggested that it could make a good addition to an asian dish.

3.45/5  rDev +15.4%

Paid $4.00 for an 8.45 oz bottle.

Appears black as night. Looks like motor oil. No head at all. Flat.

A wide array of smells are almost overwhelming. Maple syrup, burnt wood, charcoal, raisins, chocolate.

Taste alcohol. Again the taste is overwhelming. Whiskey, chocolate, raisins, maple syrup. Feels very oily, syrupy. Warming to the throat. Strong alcohol kick.

This is definitely a unique beer and a brewing achievement but not very drinkable. For $4 I'd suggest trying it just for the experience but I doubt many people will have a second.

4.32/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

1994 that my brother in law discovered in a house that he recently purchased. Turns out that was a great discovery for me since he gave it to me. With the mixed reviews that I saw on here I couldn't wait to try this and I must have got a well stored bottle because this could be the best sipper that I've ever had.
A-dark copper with no carbonation and a flat almost black calmness to it.
S-beautiful port wine smell with a nice smoky sweetness.
T-wow,this just hit my palate and amazing,complex,prunes and some alcohol with a very nice syrup sweetness.
M-smooth,with the same flat calmness that it has in appearance.
O-Amazing beer with more character and overall insane complexities than any beer I've ever had. I'm so glad that my brother in law passed this on to me and thankful to whomever got forced out of that house a couple years ago and left this well stored gem.

4.2/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If beer is liquid bread then this is a burnt waffle smothered in maple syrup.
Very complex, thick with no carbonation.
Aromatic, sweet scent largely due to the ABV.
Poured very thick, no head, syrupy. It coats the glass as I swirl it around.
I am thinking prunish taste, maybe raisins?. Definitly taste the syrup they used also a little molasses.
One of these at a time and chugging is not recomended. I drank mine over the course of an hour letting it warm to room temp.
I found some bottles of the '95, and this was the oldest beer I've had to date. I would compare it to a port.
Amazing.
Delicious. Kudos.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 962 ratings