Samuel Adams Triple Bock
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
American Strong Ale
ABV:
Score:
2.99 | pDev: 37.46%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Notes: Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
Reviews: 655 | Ratings: 962

I love many of life's indulgences: music, film, food, beer, BeerAdvocate.com, and so on.

With most of my strongest interests, I have a well-documented love for the best of the best...and the worst of the worst. For example, my favorite movies of all time include the widely-acclaimed likes of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "The Godfather" (parts I and II), and "Rocky." They also include the inimitable "Troll 2," "The Crawlers," and "Manos: The Hands of Fate" (try sitting through the non-MST3K version in its entirety).

As such, when I began to foster an abiding interest in beer, it stood to reason that I should seek out the most infamously bad beers available, in order to further my education and shorten my life. As of the time that occurred to me, Samuel Adams Triple Bock was the most notorious beer discussed on this site's forums. And so I sought it out.

I was sent a bottle of 1997 Triple Bock -- along with a "bonus" bottle of Blue Diamond Stout, straight from China -- by BA EinWeizenBitte. From California to Georgia. For free (i.e., he asked for nothing in return). Thus began my odyssey.

I held onto the already twelve-year-old bottle for a few months after receiving it, until I could share it with as many people as possible under exactly the right circumstances. Those circumstances turned out to be the night of my grandfather's funeral, at my homebrewing uncle's house. I can think of no more appropriate context in which to attempt drinking Triple Bock. My brother and I stepped outside to open and pour the beer.

Appearance: The bottle itself is small, blue, and unassuming. In fact, I'd go so far as to call that delicate vessel attractive. What lurks inside, however, is repugnant.

Upon removing the placebo seal around the cork, and then the cork itself, I was greeted with no evidence of carbonated life. I did my best to pour the beer evenly into two glasses, and it lived up to its reputation: it looked like fetid pond water, rife with suspended algae and the long-rotting carcasses of various aquatic fauna. Chunks of thick sediment clung to the insides of both the bottle and each glass. The end of the pour yielded an audible "plop," the result of a slimy wad of what appeared to be manatee feces entering the glass. My God.

Smell: Please, don't smell it.

Others have likened the stench of Triple Bock to soy sauce, but I suspect something far more sinister is afoot here. The souls of innocent toddlers, slaughtered by a demonic cult? The olfactory distillation of Genghis Khan's tyranny? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it smells far worse than any soy sauce I've ever encountered.

Taste: In each person's lifetime, one encounters a handful of turning points. A first kiss. High-school graduation. A wedding day. The birth of a child. For me, the moment Triple Bock met my lips was one such turning point.

As soon as the thick, tarry stool sample caressed my tongue, I knew I had been fundamentally changed. The rumors were true. Triple Bock tastes at once sickly sweet (like vomit after you've eaten a stack of pancakes drizzled with maple syrup), bone-chillingly sour (like soy sauce brewed in 1910, or vinegar derived from an eagle's tears), and improbably alluring. A second sip unveiled notes of mulch pile, fresh giraffe manure, and 9-volt battery.

This beer is a revelation.

Mouthfeel: Imagine giving a pint of blood -- you know, as you would at the Red Cross. Then imagine letting that blood partially coagulate, at room temperature, for maybe eight hours. Next, imagine attempting to drink that blood. That's how this nightmare felt in my mouth...and in my soul. As an added bonus, I could do nothing to remove the sensation, flavor, and smell of Triple Bock from my tongue, teeth, palate, and throat for several hours after drinking it. Even hard liquor couldn't cut through it.

Drinkability: Whatever the OPPOSITE of drinkability is, Triple Bock has it. In fact, it's made of it. I'd rather drink my own regurgitated bile than attempt to choke down another sip of this cruel, twisted monstrosity.

True story: While outside, my brother and I poured a little bit of Triple Bock into the bowls of the three dogs who live at my uncle's house. All three dogs, very hungry due to not having eaten since breakfast, ran toward the bowls, then simultaneously retreated by slowly walking backward. They appeared to be concerned that whatever was in there might reward sudden movement by attacking them. Such concerns were probably well-founded.

Truth be told, I strongly recommend Triple Bock to everyone who calls himself a beer connoisseur, just as I recommend "Troll 2" to strangers I pass on the street. There truly is nothing else like it in this world. It deserves every bit of its insidious reputation, and it will take years off your life.

Highly recommended.

Micheal Jackson had this in his book of 500 great beers, but apparently there was something wrong with the corks so that it couldn't age well. Opened this thing and the cork broke off in the bottle. Split it with as many people I could find that actually wanted to try it.

Poured about 2 ozs into a tulip glass. Black, no carbonation. Looks like oil. Just created a nasty brown film around the glass. The bottle itself left a thick black film that looks like I didn't pour the bottle at all. After dumping most of this thing and wiping up some spills with a paper towel, it looks exactly what your toilet paper would look like the next day if you actually drank this.

Aroma of soy sauce. We actually did a side by side with soy sauce and this smelled exactly what the soy sauce would smell like if left out to rot for a few years. I could write of other aromas of maple syrup, vanilla, etc. but that might fool you into thinking this smelled nice. Sticking your nose in this just hurts. I can still remember it the next day.

It took a lot of courage to drink a small sip of this thing. I had to hold my nose like I was a high school girl trying liquor for the first time. I don't want to bring back memories and try to describe any flavors, it was just bad. Don't drink it.

Mouthfeel...I don't want it in my mouth. Drinkability...I could only have about 1/4th of an ounce before rinsing my mouth out with water.

This is the single worst beer I have ever had. I'd rather drink colt45 for the rest of my life. I was super gassed when I saw this at the local distributor. I opened it and all I smelt was soy sauce. It had huge chunks of black tar fell into my glass. I thought that I would get sick but my friend made me drink it. The aroma smelt like sweet soy sauce. The flavor was acidic and atrocious. WILL NEVER BE DRANK AGAIN. it was a 2007, which means it was bottled in 1997. Thats 9 years entirely too much age.

Purchased 12/08, 1997 Vintage.

After seeing so many threads about this beer in the BA Forums, imagine my surprise when I saw bottles of it showing up at my local Bevmo. There was no way I could pass up on an opportunity to try a beer with such legendary status... Unfortunately, as I would soon learn, there are some mistakes we can never take back.

This is my baseline for "Worst Beer Ever." An absolute undrinkable mess. As soon as I popped the cork and took the first sniff, I knew I was in trouble. Soy sauce, fish sauce, miso. This was fermentation gone nuts.

The pour was not any more inspiring. Black, thick, lifeless, it oozed from the bottle and stained the side of the glass a sickly dark shade of brown, before settling into a pitch black pool at the bottom.

The taste. Oh the taste. This is not beer. This is not barely wine. This is something you use a dash of in Japanese or Thai cooking. I could no sooner recommend drinking this beer than I could recommend drinking Thai Fish Sauce straight from the bottle.

Seriously, since you're not going to be drinking this "beer," cooking with it is your best option. It's not like this beer is going to get any worse being re-corked and thrown onto your spice rack. Use it to take your Asian cuisine to the next level of flavor.

Bottom line: There's no way this beer was supposed to be aged for 11 frickin' years, and normally, I would pass on reviewing it... But if a large California chain liquor store sees fit to sell it, people should be warned about what they are getting into.

Avoid at all costs.

Update 3/5: A friend of mine popped open another bottle of this. It was equally as bad. Again, this beer may have been good years ago, but its almost certainly death-in-a-bottle now. I would avoid unless you knew the bottle to have been stored in only the most absolute perfect of conditions.

Corked bottle in dark blue bottle. 1997 vintage. the goddamn cork just broke off. god damn. poured into a nonic. Bought off of ebay. Now I know why: it has gone horribly bad.

A - theres a whole world of yeast and cork bits down at the bottom of the bottle; kind of funky. the brew pours into the glass like a thin oil. no head, body is completely black. I'm not so sure about this beer, especially with how it smells. there is a thin brown film left all over the glass.

S - the smell is almost vinegared, or soy sauce. yeah, soy sauce. there is alcohol intermixed with all of it, but the acidic or salty soy-like note is inescapable. maybe the smell is a super concentrated currant/raisin note, I dont know, but there is a definite aspect to the beer that smells really off. perhaps nearly 12 full years was too much aging? there are definite fruity aspects to the beer, but i just cant wholly isolate them away from the soy. alcohol has a definite sake-like dryness to it.
despite this, it still smells like shit: rotting fruit in soy. yeah, having just gotten another whiff of this, I cant justify anything good about it. forget about trying to appreciate the fruity aspects to it, the beer is just revolting to smell, unless it were to be used in cooking.

T - holly shit, this is like having prune juice that has been infused with alcohol and rice wine vinegar. I dont know how much of this I can drink. oh my guh, this is too bad for words. a total drain pour. its like taking a pill and having the taste of the medicine come out, in that bitter, repulsive, face-contorting way. no way, I'm not drinking this.

MF&D - well, no carbonation, but that doesnt really matter, because the beer is undrinkable, and it tastes god-awful.

I wish I had gotten some that were good!

okay, so here's the deal. Traded 484dan a bottle of 120 minute for a bottle of this. He was told by his beer distributor that the beer was probably the '94 vintage. I cracked it open with some friends and was immediately struck by the overpowering smell of soy sauce (like many others have noted). I could find nothing about this beer that was enjoyable except for the novelty of such an absurd and terrible beer and the nice bottle it was in. It had the look of iodine, the smell and taste of soy sauce (minus the salt, replaced with alcohol), no carbonation and just hung on the side of the glass like motor oil. We had only poured half of the 8.45 oz bottle and had split that between two of us and still had trouble getting that down. I am going to save the rest and try it as a tofu marinade for some stir fry and see how that goes.

Basically, if you really want to try it, go ahead, but dont expect to enjoy it--not even a little.

Hmmm....no longer brewed? I thought it was a thing of the past but then a case of it sat at Hall's Grocery, beckoning me.

Evil, lying, evil stuff with which I will not sully the good name of "beer".

It is absolutely black, looks like a glass of iodine. No carbonation but the bubbles that appear from pouring have a rainbow effect. This only serves to heighten the resemblance to old motor oil. The bottle retains a thick sludge. No, you don't understand. Like you can't see though the bottle and the bottom is like a tiny La Brea tar pit. I'm pretty sure Jim Koch never meant for this to sit in a warehouse somewhere for 12 years before drinking. The smell is molases and a bitter, eye-stinging wet wood smell. Ugh. I'm serious. It hurts my eyes. The taste is harsh, medicinal and again, like a tin of molases with a soy sauce chaser. The mouthfeel is cloyingly slick. I'm reasonably sure its been fermenting long enough to gain some sort of mental functioning and is desperately trying to avoid being swallowed. The stuff burns my throat on the way down. Good grief. I don't want to slight the guys at Sam Adams and I'm sure this is just over-aging and bad storage but this is one of the worst things I ever tasted. This just set the bar.

Found a bottle of this at a San Diego BevMo. It was the lat lonely bottle. That should of tipped me off right there.

Reviewed from notes.

I go to pull the cork and the bottom quarter crumbles into the bottle... I fret none and pour carefully into a snifter.

aroma... I have no idea what is happening, smells of teriyaki sauce. Teriyaki sauce that has turned.

Taste.... after looking at this thick ooze and smelling it for several minutes, and after getting my wife to smell it... i decide I must take at least on sip...considering I payed for the bottle. Probably not even a quarter of an oz gets on my tongue and I spit it out into the sink. I grab a glass of water and try to cleanse... but nothing stands up to this pungent stuff. Think I drank hot sauce or ran to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue off.

by for the worst thing I have ever tasted, not even in the beer world, but in all of my life.

Ok. i actually paid money to try this beer because i enjoy "HOT" beers, and figured it can't be as bad as some people say.

I was baby slapping wrong.

As soon as i poured it into 2 glasses to split with a friend, and we saw what appeared to be partially Coagulated Blood flowing into our vessels, we knew something serious was about to happen.

I am a FireFighter. I have smelled dead things.
and i would even give dead things an aroma rating of 1.5

I don't know what came over me to even consider sipping this after the visual and aromal onslaught. Afterwards i was begging to be water boarded, if it removes the taste great if it kills me great. Rotting Prunes,Plums,Figs,Musty Moldy Basement Water, Rotting Wood,Soy Sauce,Blood.

I managed maybe 2oz of my 4oz pour. then i poured it out, yet tasted it for days. Quite a few good beers majesty were diminished thanks to the lingering stench of death imparted upon my palatte thanks to Samual Adams and his fould beast Triple Bock. I will run and hide in its presence for all eternity.

Tell the Sam Adams owner to start buying this stuff back. Bought a bottle at a mix a six shop in PA. Poured dark black, like tar. Smelled terrible, soy sauce like. Rancid taste, undrinkable. Definitely a drain pour. It porbably tasted pretty good when it was first made, but if you see this, don't buy it unless you DEFINITELY know its a fresh one!!!

1995 vintage. 250ml bottle poured into AVBC snifter. Thanks goes to roosevelt25 for this one.

A: As I grabbed the cork to pull it out it immediately broke off in my hand (without much force I might add), and when I tried to screw a corkscrew into the remaining cork in the bottle the cork just fell down into the beer, so we're off to a good start. The beer itself is flat, which isn't a huge surprise. The color is similar to motor oil, black with murky brown edges, and it's just as greasy looking. It turns out having a piece of the cork in the bottle was a good thing because it prevented most of the sediment from entering my glass. In fact, I didn't know just how much crap was left in the bottle until I went to rinse it out. The liquid that was left came out like sewage, full of chunks and sludge. Also, it turns out the bottle is clear blue and not black! Who knew? There was a thick black crust covering the entire inside of the bottle that broke free into shards as I rinsed it free. Glad I didn't get any of that crap in my glass.

S: As I peeled back the black plastic sealing the cork I could already smell strong notes of soy sauce. Upon pouring the beer and taking a sniff I still got notes of salty soy, but they were hidden under layers of over oxidized dark fruits, grapes/raisins, molasses, and vomit (or at least gastric acid). The smell made my stomach turn, so at this point I went and got a cup to spit into if need be, and prepared for my first sip.

T: I needed the cup. I tried to hold the beer in my mouth to pick out the flavors but my gag reflex had other plans. After rushing to the sink to rinse my mouth out I reflected on the flavor. I could definitely taste fruit, rotten fruit, and a good dose of molasses. The beer was also very salty and vinegary though, and there is no way you wouldn't get sick drinking it. I can't really say more about the flavor as the thought of it makes me want to drink straight Everclear to burn the taste off my tongue.

M: Again, I don't even need to go into this. It's flat, it's thick, it's grimy, it's salty, it's acidic, and it's nasty. If you can hold it in your mouth long enough to discern more than that then you should go to a hospital.

O: I feel bad reviewing this beer since it's obvious that there is no way it should have been aged more than a couple years, let alone sixteen. Still, here it is. Also I was surprised how bad this was considering it wasn't "the bad vintage" of 1997 as I cannot imagine it being any worse. Every beer geek should try this beer once; hell, that's the only reason I traded for it. Just make sure to have about 10 other people try it for shock value (it's better if they are unsuspecting), but make sure you do it outside so you don't have to clean your carpets.

Two Words... Soy Sauce.

This beer was absolutely terrible it smelled up the whole room, and actually ruined my palete for the rest of the night. The whole room smelled like a Chinese restaurant.

I have never tasted Utopias, I just hope it doesn't taste like this...

1.02/5  rDev -65.9%

" Happy early birth day gift "is what the note said as I came home from work to find this sitting there alone in a corner"

' hits cigarette' let me tell you guys a story of suffering and pain. Commence old timey Noir scene.

Poured this into a pint glass in which the cork fell unto the bottle. Into my glass falls a blackened sludge without a trace of any head...only goopy thick garbage creating waves. Like walking into a wal-Mart bathroom only to realize a guy came in and dropped off his digested taco bell on the floor and it made a plomp as it landed.

It smells of the souls of those who were sacrificed to the dark Lord in the promised land of Hell.

The taste is like being in the middle of a human centipied in which the first person is fed only stale soy sauce and has a bout of explosive diarrhea all over your taste buds. I spat this out as though I was going through and excorsizm.

It feel the way you feel after potentially losing your fortune on the stock market.

Overall, I would rather have my gonads smashed by a ballpeen hammer or a slug destroying the vesicles of my unborn spermatoza children than ever take another sip of this.

I can only imagine finishing the bottle and going to the bathroom the next day.

And that my friends..is the story of the worst liquid I have ever consumed. A 1997 vintage of this demented liquidation that of which should be sacrificed to the void.

THIS IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!

a - no head very dark brown almost black.

s - smells like balsamic vinegar and soy souce. this is truly terrible smelling.

t - this is absolutely putrid!! tastes like licorice and vinegar mixed with bile and small amount of prune. maybe this is what beer tastes if the brewer was retarded. anyone that says they like this is a liar!!! EWWW.

m - god. i spit it out. i really cannot understand how anyone likes this.

d - never ever try this. ever.

i would rather have to drink bud for my entire life than ever taste this again. there's a reason they no longer make it.

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

I poured a Sam Adams Triple bock down the drain last night. Bought it from a store in Lexington, MA. I was told it was a 2007. Got it to my in-laws and popped it...and a big time...yuck!!! Smelled as bad as a spoiled beer of that acholhol content with a maple syrup base can. The inside of the bottle was coated with a film that took 3-4 washings to remove. That's a BAD beer.

I guess I never thought to read the reviews, since I wasn't going to write one on this bottle of shit. It never made it into my mouth. Thanks to <Overlord> for heading me toward the histerical reviews.

I actually had a bottle in 1995 (1994 vintage). At that time i was a regular session beer drinker and didn't like it, but it was at least drinkable. After reading all of the reviews, I'm guess it doesn't age as SA intended. I think they needed a corking lessen in the 90's. I still have a 1994 in my cellar, but i didn't store it with the bottle up, since I was told way back then to store it like a bottle of wine. I'll prob. never open it. Wanna buy it?

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

I have been a fan of Sam Adams beers for some time, but eventually the rule of numbers will prevail. With over 20 fine products on the market they've finally produced a lemon.

The single-serving cobalt bottle without the traditional pic of Sam Adams on the label intrigued me. The store I bought it at had distributors giving out wine samples. Both distributors and the clerk gave an odd look when they saw the bottle in my hands. I grew concerned.

When I opened the bottle I was overcome by the smell of chocolate and who-knows-what other odors. It was overbearing and carried for about 6 feet.

The taste was similar to the odor. Overbearing. I could not enjoy this concoction because it was just plain NASTY. When I poured the remaining contents in to the sink, which was most of the bottle, there was a sludge sticking to the bottom and side of the bottle that did not wash out easily. Is this safe for consumption?

Here's my summation of Triple Boch:

Sam Adams + Guinness + Jagermeister + chocolate syrup + slight dehydration = Sam Adams Triple Boch.

A - V - O - I - D !!!

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

After sitting on this beer for weeks thinking that it would be a great new years treat, I am horribly disappointed.

The bottle a cobalt blue was corked and wrapped, making for a nifty looking package. It is all downhill from there.

The aroma was pure soy sauce. The taste was a sweet soy sauce, and rancid.

I think I might try it as a sushi sauce. not the kind from an authentic restaurant but from the local grocery store deli. As apposed to a drain pour, I'm going to use it as a prank on friends to watch them squirm.

Jim Koch, you need to look at what happened to allow this product to bare your company logo, and fix it fast.

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

Reviewed from notes. At the same time, not sure I really need them considering I wake from every one of my nightmares with this taste in my mouth.

Pours a black color that is emboldened by plenty of chunks, although I'll throw in half a point for the poor floaties, as it seemed in their misery they were almost trying to form a message. I failed to heed their request to refrain, instead diving into what I can only describe as Satan's bowels.

The nose is only nearly the worst thing ever, so maybe it'll be somewhat palatable. Not so, my friend. First reaction: gross. Second through ninetieth reactions: soy sauce. On 91 maybe some roasted smoke. Maybe I wish just wishing to taste something else. I'll never know, as I certainly won't be trying this ever again.

Mouthfeel is just disgusting. Thick and chunky soy sauce with the only thing even coming close to saving it is the fact that it is still quite boozy. I think a 1.0 on taste and mouthfeel is an unavoidable situation when the best thing to say is "at least the alcohol hides the flavors." Drinkability is so bad that I had trouble eating soy sauce for long periods after, for fear of reminding myself of this beer. Fail.

I assume Amyliz4 would give it an F as well, though she refused to complete the journey, abandoning our voyage after getting a whiff of this beast.

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

Ok I bought this in 1994 when it was released. I was like "wow" a cork in a really cool bottle. Well let me tell you this beer lives up to the hype!

Pours like motor oil, smells like dog$*&! and lets not forget the taste....yup you guessed it more dog$*&!.

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had! funny thing is when I first bought it I tried to sip it out of the bottle, you know what I thought at that time? yup you guessed it again " did I just lick my dogs A#!"

Wanna have some fun? buy this Dog$*&! and share it with friends.

At one time this beer held the title of " Worlds strongest DOG$*&!"

Bottom Line: yup correct again DOG$*&!

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

Vintage 1995. This is the worst beer I have ever had. Hands down. The only redeeming character is the color; pitch black, and almost appealing. No head, no carbonation. Aroma of ass and soy sauce. Some rotting cherry and dark fruit notes. Not good. Taste was horrible. One sip and it had to go down the drain. Not at all tolerable. It was like drinking soy sauce, bloody urine and ink all at once. Mouthfeel was quite penetrating; the flavors quickly dominated the palate and left little room for salvation. Had a kind of vinegar quality to it. Drinkability - nil. You can have it, i'll stick to more traditional beers.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Do you really think I'd ever subject my dogs to this stuff?!

1.03/5  rDev -65.6%

Good god. Pours a dark brown with dark golden highlights, almost like soy sauce. Absolutely no carbonation, and when I swirl the glass, leaves a slightly disturbing sticky film. Aroma of pure soy sauce, plus a little bit of pure evil thrown in. Cloying palate is horrendous - fermented maple syrup mixed with prune juice. Body is sticky sweet, with a consistency kind of like port wine. Absolutely the least drinkable beer - nay, beverage - I have ever encountered.

1.06/5  rDev -64.5%

As many other reviewers can attest, this is absolutely disgusting. I had a hard time believing the past reviews that it tastes much like soy sauce, minus the salt of course. The smell was attrocious and the mouthfeal wasn't much better. I don't mind a nice thick beer, but this was ludicrous. There's very little beer that I can say wasn't at least worth the try. But this was a total bust and the brewmaster should be ashamed of himself.

1.06/5  rDev -64.5%

I poured this into a brandy snifter as recommended by most who have had this beer. There is a strong smell and taste of alcohol, syrup, and soy sauce. It started bad, and got worse the more I drank it. I was not impressed. I could not finish it. Reviewed from notes.

1.06/5  rDev -64.5%

1995 Vintage: Ok, this is where I draw the line. This is just bad. Definitely like soy sauce. How anyone can drink this just amazes me. I expected so much more from Mr. Koch. Something just went terribly wrong with this. Sour, salty and awful. I could barely get a full sip down.

1.06/5  rDev -64.5%

This was a 1994 brewed bottle.

The 'beer' pours a thick, tarry very dark brown color with no head, littered with sediment chunks. The aroma is that of soy sauce and wood barrels. In fact after smelling the beer I opened a bottle of soy sauce and it was very similar. The flavor is oaky, acidic, harsh, and quite unpleasant. The drink ability is negative, if I could put negative I would have, it made me want to vomit. I think this was supposed to be aged for a few 3-5 years and then enjoyed, I think 15 was too much. I would like to see how this tasted 10 years ago.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 962 ratings