Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

3.76/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +52.5%

1.27/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Well that is an unfortunate looking ''beer". Pours out ugly brown, looks like brandy, that listless of a head. So much alcohol. Like alcohol aroma is one million parts per million. There's nothing else there.

Taste had some barrel, like tasted/seemed like the actual barrel had disintegrated and made its way into the bottle. So much sediment and particulate.

This and Bud Light Lime are like the worst beers that weren't unintentionally infected I've prolly had. Pizza beer kicks this beers ass.

1.54/5  rDev -47.8%

I have a few of these bottles in my basement and I seem to forget that they didn't really age well.

For one, the cork dried out, and so it isn't really sealed well any longer, and I think that was the problem. I have old bottles of SN Big Foot, and Thomas Hardy's Ale and they are FANTASTIC, however this beer never ever lived up to expectations. Even when I consumed 'Young' version in the late 90's I was left unfulfilled.

Now here it is 2016, and I opened a bottle last night.

Yuck! Awful! It couldn't be poured down the drain fast enough.

There was no indication that there was any carbonation left, so I think that is a clear indicator that the bottle turned.

It has been a long time so I am not sure what it should have smelled like, but it did not smell bad.

The taste said it all.

1.88/5  rDev -36.3%

Just opened a '95 bottle. Definitely a soy sauce taste. Not enjoyable at all. Don't know if I'll ever open my '97 bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.2/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

After all the reviews I read about this beer I expected the worst but the bottle I had was a 1997 and was absolutely wonderful. Got it from a friend who had it for years great oak after taste with coffee and chocolate notes. Starts out sweet and finishes nicely with a fruity dark cherry coffee. Very satisfied

1.02/5  rDev -65.4%

" Happy early birth day gift "is what the note said as I came home from work to find this sitting there alone in a corner"

' hits cigarette' let me tell you guys a story of suffering and pain. Commence old timey Noir scene.

Poured this into a pint glass in which the cork fell unto the bottle. Into my glass falls a blackened sludge without a trace of any head...only goopy thick garbage creating waves. Like walking into a wal-Mart bathroom only to realize a guy came in and dropped off his digested taco bell on the floor and it made a plomp as it landed.

It smells of the souls of those who were sacrificed to the dark Lord in the promised land of Hell.

The taste is like being in the middle of a human centipied in which the first person is fed only stale soy sauce and has a bout of explosive diarrhea all over your taste buds. I spat this out as though I was going through and excorsizm.

It feel the way you feel after potentially losing your fortune on the stock market.

Overall, I would rather have my gonads smashed by a ballpeen hammer or a slug destroying the vesicles of my unborn spermatoza children than ever take another sip of this.

I can only imagine finishing the bottle and going to the bathroom the next day.

And that my friends..is the story of the worst liquid I have ever consumed. A 1997 vintage of this demented liquidation that of which should be sacrificed to the void.

4.06/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev +28.5%

4.12/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.81/5  rDev +63.1%

Was able to enjoy a 1994 edition of this and was pleasant surprised.

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.13/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Happy 21st Birthday, Sam Adams Triple Bock 1995 Vintage!

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Well the cork died a long time ago. Other than that, pours flat, deep dark black/brown. No head, syrupy. Basically what I'd expect.

Smell: Maple and strong dark malt is definitely there, but there's an offputting metallic note too that I have no idea where it came from. Dark fruits, port type stuff going on. Was honestly expecting a LOT worse.

Taste: Lots of dark fruits, chocolate, with a bready note on the finish. Maple is here too. The dark fruits make it almost tart, again reminds me of port, or a really fruity pure dark chocolate. Not getting any of the dreaded soy sauce notes. Can definitely see how this was a precursor to the Utopias.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy thick, no carbonation of course. Decently long linger.

Overall: Honestly? I was expecting the worst. The cork and the metallic note is really all I've got to say bad about this. Everything else is pretty much par for the course for the style. Giving it extra points on this mark for confounding expectations.

3.74/5  rDev +26.8%

I wasn't going to do a formal review on this one, but how can I not, right? This is to celebrate a very successful fantasy campaign. Champion in 2 leagues and runner-up in the other. Cheers!

Meanwhile, I don't know how old this one is, but I guess it must be at least 18 years old. Cork broke as I twisted it open, so I needed to break out the corkscrew. The cork did not smell unpleasant.

A - On the pour it came out like non-viscous maple syrup, and that's pretty much the way it looks in the glass. It's a very deep, dark brown, with some not attractive redness when held up to the light. No head whatsoever. A drop dripped onto my hand at the end of the pour, and it stuck there like the aforementioned syrup.

N - This is extremely aromatic. Lots and lots of barrel (bourbon and brandy? bourbon and rye? Brandy and rye?) and plenty of bready malt. It's very sweet, and it's attacking my senses. If I hold it up to my face too long my eyes start to hurt. I guess it's time to dig in, right?

T - Wow, this is unbelievable. Not good or bad, just, maybe, the most complex thing, beer or otherwise, that I've ever tasted. I admit that I coughed after the first swallow, which was just a tiny sip. The heavy hitter here is licorice, an absolute blast of the stuff up front. You know that feeling in the back of your mouth/throat that you get when you taste something you don't really like, and you have a little trouble breathing, as if your throat is saying "please, no more?" Well, I'm getting some of that. This is probably a little too old to really enjoy, because I'm detecting a bit of sourness. Now I'm tasting lots of fruit, like Maraschino cherries, dried figs, and dates. I guess I kinda see what folks are saying about soy sauce, but I don't really taste it. It's just very, very sweet, and the sweetness is really lingering on the tip of my tongue. This is really not bad at all. Doesn't taste like beer, though, more like brandy.

M - Yeah, again like thin maple syrup. Nothing doing here at all. It's somewhat thick and oily, with no carbonation whatsoever. I guess that's what they were going for, though.

O - I'm SO glad I decided to buy this and try it. I admit I was scared, but this was quite the interesting experience. Not at all a bad beer, and not at all worthy of the reputation.

3.62/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.5

12/11/2015
Thank you Dave for sharing this rare keeper. 1995 bottle to glass. Cheers to 20 years. Look is purplish brown, no head, no fizz at all. Aroma is salt, soy sauce, dark fruit; alcohol is prevalent. Taste is plum, syrup, leather, raisin, dark rum. Very complex, this has held up very well. Read lots of mixed reviews and I’m sure some is due to taste, but the aging probably has a lot to do with the quality. Feel is un-beer like, syrupy, like a rum or brandy. This has been an interesting experience."

4.09/5  rDev +38.6%

11/21/15: First try of the 1994, bottle shared among family. Darkly fruity with licorice, more like a liqueur than a beer. Very interesting.

3.84/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

1.42/5  rDev -51.9%

2.82/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

1.71/5  rDev -42%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)