Samuel Adams Triple Bock
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
American Strong Ale
ABV:
Score:
2.99 | pDev: 37.46%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Notes: Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.
firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Reviews: 655 | Ratings: 962
2.44/5  rDev -18.4%

This is a monster. Huge in every way. Uncarbonated and looks like wood varnish...dark, dark leather. The aromas pour forth as soon as the foil is removed from the bottle (even prior to removing the cork for the first time).

These vapors proved overwhelming and unsettling. Think raisins, rotting fruit, motor oil and stale beer. Easily the strongest smelling beer I have encounter.

Taste is big, syrupy and sweet. Raisins, dark fruit, port? (not a wine expert), tar, molasses, and maple syrup. Way too much, but not horrible. Thank God it's corked. This should not (could not?) be finished in one sitting.

I won't purchase this again, but glad I tried it.
Try it once for the experience. The bottle alone is worth the asking price just as a keepsake. (I re-tasted this...straight from the bottle (I know, this is akin to heresy), but I found this toned down the stench and made it more enjoyable...more vanilla flavors too....just a suggestion if you find the aroma as awful as I did)

3.87/5  rDev +29.4%

1997 Vintage: Dark as ink, with no head or carbonation, of course. Nose is strongly alcoholic and sweet, with a whiff of maple. Full, smooth body.

I taste more maple, along with raisins and alcohol as I sip it. And sip it I must. Rates low on drinkability due to its potency and richness.

overall: 4
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 2.5

1.78/5  rDev -40.5%

I honestly do not understand the hype around this so-called beer. (I'm not trolling, I really just do not understand) It is thick as molasses; it tastes like molasses (as well as raisin and dried fruit) and alcohol. It is WAY too thick to be pleasant and I’m sorry but if someone came up to you and said “here drink this” and handed you a small glass of this stuff a) I doubt you would drink it and b) if you did and even if you liked it you would not think it was beer. I can not tell any of you what you like and what you do not like but I do know beer. I know good beer and I know bad beer and when you hold this drink up to the “Beer” category it is not beer. Maybe if they didn’t call it beer or a type of bock, maybe I wouldn't have such a problem with it. Maybe my problem with it is that people rave about it and I think it tastes like a hombrew experiment gone horribly wrong.

4.66/5  rDev +55.9%

This is one you either love or hate - no middle ground. No carbonation, more like a cordial. Trying to drink a bottle at a sitting would be too much for me, and fortunately the bottle is sealed with a reusable cork. My preference is a few ounces in a brandy snifter. Offer some to your "I only drink Bud Light" buddies and watch their reaction.

4.19/5  rDev +40.1%

Presentation: 8.45oz blue bottle with gold lettering, comes with a very nice brief history of the style and a note from Jim Koch. Cork was decaying, even after applying standard wine keeping techniques. This forced us to drink the entire bottle in one sitting - damn. (Note 10/10/01: Sam Adams actually recommends that you store SATB upright. The cork is not meant to be soaked, like a wine cork. It's a much softer grade. Unfortunately I found this out after this review.) Three tastings so far # 1 = 01/10/1996 # 2 = 06/29/1996 # 3 = 01/15/1998

Appearance: A deep black syrup that seems to stick to the glass (with a gentle swirl or after a sip).

Smell: 1) Powerful alcoholic aromas, slightly pungent of burnt sugar and fruit., 2) Very sweet and rich similar to candied fruit., 3) Dried fruit (raisins) and molasses.

Taste: 1) Alcohol was very dominant. Thick and overwhelming in a syrupy caramelized sugar mouth feel and taste. No carbonation detected., 2) Like wine made from raisins. Very complex and interesting. More refined over the previous tasting. You can taste the oak and maple syrup, slightly. 3) Rich maple and molasses sweetness, brandy like in smoothness and consistency, with a slightly woody finish.

Notes: 1) Should have waited, but this is how one gauges the growth of a brew. We will try again in 6 months., 2) This brew is definitely beginning to show signs of aging well. Sip and enjoy., 3) This definitely mellows with age, and is meant to be sipped (perhaps after an evening meal or as a nightcap). In 1996 we opened one and the alcohol was too overwhelming, so it is nice to see that this brew has met Jim Koch's expectations of aging well. With its 17%+ alcohol content it holds the title "the strongest beer" (up until 1999), and makes for a very warming and savored brew. One of the finest and most intriguing domestically brewed barley wines.

firstprev| 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next → last
Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 71 out of 100 with 962 ratings