Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Liked This Beer
2.96 w/ 953 ratings
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

Liked:
2.96/5
Alströms:

1.92/5  rDev -35.1%

I saw this on the counter at my local beer store and just figured I would try it...I guess this bottle was the 1997 batch

A- This beer poured black as could be looks like used motor oil- had no head at all- the bottling was a sweet-blue glass and a cork...I was impressed.

S-Very strong smell-this is where my being impressed stopped- -on the positive side- dark fruits heavy alcohol with chocolate and wood --unfortunately those smells somehow after a couple whiffs do somehow make up that soy sauce smell. I really didn't like the smell much at all. My wife asked me what the hell I was drinking from the other side of the room after about 30 seconds when the smell got over there

T- Lots of fruits not much alcohol up front --I liked this beer for the first couple tastes---its a lot more boozy in the smell than the taste- but aftertaste is solid maple syrup and finishes with the boozy burn

M- Very thick and smooth - pleasing to the tongue- no carbonation really at all decent mouth feel.

D- This should be served by the shot---0 drink ability-- The tag said to "share it with a few friends" - that is good advice. Drinking this entire bottle just about made me sick.

This was definitely more like a liquor than a beer. I didn't enjoy it much- Either I had a bad bottle or some of the people who rated it higher have some strange taste buds.or only took a couple sips. Never had a 10+ year old bottle of beer before so I have nothing to compare it to.

---I was told something interesting by someone at my beer store- that although it sounds crazy- that this stuff tastes great as a syrup on vanilla ice cream... I think it would taste better with a shot poured over ice cream than as a beer. Im not wasting another $7.

1.4/5  rDev -52.7%

Just bought a couple bottles of this. I love Doppelbock and thought this would be along the same lines. Boy was I mistaken! THIS IS NOT BEER! this is as close to a mix between Soy sauce, Maple Syrup, and old Port that I have ever seen. The only reason I gave the Appearance a 4 is because the bottle looks kind of cool and it is corked which is unusual. I would not recommend this to anyone. God Awful!

2.79/5  rDev -5.7%

Presentation: 8.45 oz. blue (nearly opaque) corked bottle, no dating and from what I've been told that makes it a 1997, poured into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: Pours a completely opaque deep and dark, black with some brownish hues along the edges of the glass. There is no carbonation to speak of, ergo no head formation at all.

Aroma: Mollasses, along with some maple syrup, oak, and strong alcohol aromas as well.

Taste: Reminds me of soy sauce at first, but it's really more complex than that. The beer turns sweet, with notes of burnt sugar and maple syrup (just a little) in the middle. The finish is woody and at times smokey, you can definitely tell this was aged in oak whiskey barrels. There is a constant alcohol warming throughout.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, thick and syrupy, almost oily as well. As noted before, there was no carbonation.

Overall: I tried this about 5 years ago when I was first entering the world of beer advocacy, and thought it was disgusting. (I wasn't reviewing beer at that point, so there are no notes to compare, only my memory. ) Half a decade of aging has done little to change the taste, but at least I appreciate it a little more now. Still, I must confess to not liking this very much at all. It's simply too strong for my taste buds to handle. I'm glad Sam Adams tried making something like this, and I'm glad I let it age for a full ten years before trying it, but in the end I'm glad it's gone and I won't be looking for another. If you like strong ales aged in oak barrels, there's a chance you'll enjoy this one.

4.46/5  rDev +50.7%

Black with dark brown around the edges; no signs of a head or carbonation, but it does have nice legs to it. Smell is quite sweet. Strong aromas of chocolate, molasses, maple syrup, port, oak, and a little bit of alcohol. Excellent taste as well, almost like a port paired with some chocolate and maple syrup; almost like breakfast and dessert all rolled together. Very smooth mouthfeel, full bodied, no carbonation. I've had Triple Bock a few times and this is the only time I've gotten a bottle of this quality. I hope to be lucky enough to get a few more bottles like this one.

3.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured ~3.5oz into a snifter on 12/10/07, just found out that this was ten years after it was brewed! I found it at BevMo in Rancho Cucamonga in September.
A: 8.45oz blue bottle - looks like a brown bottle due to the dark color of the beer! Brewed w/ maple syrup, I'll smell and taste for that. Contract brewed in Ceres, CA? What's up with that?
Very dark brown. Swirling leaves a caramelp-colored film on sides of glass. No carbonation?! Looks like liqueur or port. Legs are apparent upon swirling as well.
S: Alcohol, vanilla, chocolate, oak barrel, coffee bean, cherry, almond paste.
T: Coffee, baker's chocolate, dark, dark fruit. I'm eating ice cream too and it goes so well with Ben & Jerry's Fossil Fuel. I don't taste maple syrup. The sweetness is a little cloying, I wish it was a little less sweet, maybe drier. What an amazing experiment in beer though. More like what port is to wine. In fact it opens with a sweet port flavor but quickly transitions to a bitter baker's chocolate finih. Mixed sweet/bitter aftertaste. The last sip tasted amazingly like Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
M: Thick and chewy! (what does that even mean though?!) It settles in a sets up camp on my tongue leavinf flavors there for quite a while. Syrupy - much like maple syrup. Sticks to my lips even, so there's a lip-feel too.
D: Less than 4 oz. is ideal. Great as a dessert pairing, especially with chocolate or vanilla ice creams.

3.74/5  rDev +26.4%

Black color. But really black. No foam. Crazy oily appearance.
The smell: what is it?? Well. Sherry, soy sauce, woody. Full, intense note.
The taste: it has the density of used motor oil. And though, good. Full maltiness, amaretto, soy sauce, molasse.
It is pratically a liquor. Heavy. Full. Cooke plums, chocolate, cherries.
It is so sticking that after two sip the glass changes color.
The strange taste is probably the maple syrup (never tasted).
It is for sure a beer to slowly sip. The taste is alcoholic, heavy, extreme.

1.88/5  rDev -36.5%

8.5 ounce bottle purchased from a Beverages and More store somewhere in Orange County for $4.50, was surprised to still see a lot of these bottles there after a decade since its last batch, split with my dad last night

1997 Vintage

Poured into a wine glass with a oily dark brown color, pretty much black but definitely not when held up to the light, absolutely no head, retention, or lacing

Over two dozen black chunks at the bottom of our glasses, showing that it had some serious age under its belt

Stained my clothes badly when I spilled a little bit on it, also stained the inside of the glass, the thickness was shocking, resembled Hershey's chocolate syrup

Smell was almost identical to soy sauce, salty, sour, some molasses, some candy, as well as dark fruit

Taste was super strong, most definitely a sipper, sweet and sour at the same time, hard to get down and tasted more like hard alcohol than beer, quite boozy, very salty, coats the tongue, almost a garlic-like aftertaste, tasted like the sauce I use when I make potstickers, no hops present, just odd flavored malt and syrup that has gone bad, cannot get more than a couple sips down, wow this is some strong stuff

One of the thickest bodies I have ever seen, more so than the majority of Russian Imperial Stouts I have drank, no carbonation and a very long lasting aftertaste

Could not drink more than 2 or 3 ounces of this, could not even finish my small glass yesterday, probably some of the heaviest stuff I have had, the seventeen and half percent alcohol does not help the drinkability out either

Definitely the most unique beer I have had from Samuel Adams, I hope Utopias tastes better than this with its hefty price tag but I am sure it does, I would never drink this again and I do not know if I could recommend anybody else to either, I honestly think this one might need a little more age to develop some more sweetness and mellow out the salty and pungent flavor, but then again it could be well past its prime, very interesting to say the least

4.25/5  rDev +43.6%

Decanted cool from the cobalt blue corked 8.45oz bottle w/ gold leaf for labeling into a snifter. Picked this up at Thirsty's, this was from the '97 bottling.

A - A molasses brown/coffee colored liquid w/ absolutely no head, there is a bit of brussel's lace that clings to the snifter when swirled. Subtle black cherry hues around the edges and some yeast ? particles that dropped out at the bottom which was apparent on the sides of the bottle as well.

S - Nutty and vinous notes, warm port-like aromas w/ a deep woody and fig like aroma. Subtle mocha and roasted/salty notes w/ a hint of maple and herbal notes in the aroma.

M - Vicscous, syrupy and boozy w/ malt wood and bourbon w/ absolutely no effervessence and an almost chocolatey creamy toffee texture.

T - Deep maple, dry flavors w/ bitter sweet cocoa and notes of syrupy sweet malt flavors. A caramel corn nutty quality w/ deep salt tinges all the way to the end of the taste. Currant and fig notes hit the sides of the cheeks w/ intense sugary potency and concentrated fruit notes. Very rich and rum-like cherry soaked essence.

D - Wonderfully drinkable for such a unique and intense brew. Long time in the bottle 10+ years and hardly suffered from what I remember from tasting in years prior. Very little oxidation and rather surprising example of a strong ale w/ American stamp w/ maple and champagne yeast to give it extra juice not for the timid, better than average dirnkability - great for what it is.

S -

2.65/5  rDev -10.5%

This is my 100th review. I chose this beer because of its unusualness and age (this is a 97 bottle). Honestly I can't even begin to evaluate the attributes of this beer on the numerical scale because it is so over the top and incomparable to anything, but I'll try.

A: The body is pitch black and there is no head whatsoever. It leaves cola colored legs on the side of the glass because it's insanely thick.

S: This aroma is outlandishly pungent. It attacks the nose with harsh notes of soy sauce, boiled prune, rum, and a medicinal chocolate.

T: The taste is a fairly equal facsimile of the smell, with big soy sauce/edamame notes up front and a finish similar to one of those chocolates with rum inside. Significant alcohol burn.

M: This beer is so thick and boozy that it's pretty hard to get down. However the finish is long and dry with a chocolate sweetness coming through and a pleasant warmth in the chest. Good for a cold night.

D: This beer is almost impossible to drink in any appreciable quantity. It might be better served in shot glasses than a snifter. Drinkability is pretty poor.

3.46/5  rDev +16.9%

Into the tulip.
Weird beer. Retired, but still widely available.

A - Black viscous, no lacing. LEGS, like wine, LEGS.

S- Plums, cooked dark fruit, sweet raisins and booze- and yes, soy sauce - major soy.

T - Condensed, distilled flavors.. GEEZ. Coating heavy dark cooked fruit punch.

M - Filling, cloying, really.

D - Not so much.

An interesting beer. Glad to try it.

3.49/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Dark with no carbonation sort of syrup looking

Smell: Strong fruity odor.

Taste: I know it is made with maple syrup but it tastes of molasses and friut like rasins.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick.

Drinkability: A good evening beer or definately a dessert beer.

4.35/5  rDev +47%

Life is short! I couldn't help myself, I opened my one and only bottle of this curious libation.

This isn't a beer. No how, no way. Maybe it has some beer ingredients and was brewed in the way beer is made, but the end result just isn't a beer.

If you forced me to review this "triple bock" as a beer I'd give it a 1--but... on second thought....

It poured so dark and so thick it coated my glass with a visible layer that clung to the walls of the glass.

No head- but the nose was reminicent of soy sauce but not actually soy sauce..

It doesn't taste faintly like a beer or ale, but something else----
my elderly dad thought it tasted like Fletcher's Castoria he was fed as a child when constipated over 70 years ago... One might say it has a medicinal flavor, but the flavor was not revolting-- but quite the opposite. It's something different altogether.

It has a very heavy flavor profile-- or perhaps mouthfeel.

I tasted rasins and plums. Digging underneath the thick oil like flavor body were minute hints of hops and malt.

The maple syrup made itself known.

The finish was clean but with a notable presence of alcohol.

I could equate this curious beverage with a Port or Maderia. It's some sort of sipping beverage. And now that the bottle is empty I could see enjoying this "beer" -- and yes, if it was still available at an afforadble price I'd buy a couple of six packs of it!

Bon Appit!

1.15/5  rDev -61.1%

11/27/07- Received from my wife in 2004 as a gift beer.

Presentation- 8oz small cobalt blue bottle. Have no idea of the year, but assuming '97. Poured into my Anderson Valley tulip.

Appearance- Black as night pour with about a 1/2 inch deep chocolate head which evaporates in a snap. Leaves solid caked lace sheeting behind. Kind of like legs on wine.

Smell- Oh my God. I wanted to vomit, in fact I did dry heave, but that wasn't until I tasted it. Smells like soy sauce (extra salt added) and molasses together. Not a good marriage. One of the worst things my nose has ever set itself upon. Yet, I have been intruiged and have smelled the cork about 5 times since last night and feel queezy after each time. Lets just say, incredibly vile, but interesting.

Taste- Doesn't get any better here. Really finding it hard to give a proper description because I couldn't only stomach one sip and they almost blew chunks. Salty soy sauce, strong alcohol and thick sugary molasses. Sorry, something about salty beer just doesn't sit right with me.

Mouthfeel- Super thick motor oil which sticks to the back of your throat when you swallow. Salty cough syrup. Castor oil goes down easier.

Drinkability- Zero. One sip is all I needed. Will not ever try any other vintages as well. Right up there if not worse than Crazy Ed's Chili Beer. Totally different vile beer though.

4.21/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This will be my second time sampling this strange brew. I have to admit that last time I was not too impressed, but I figured it deserved a second chance. Not sure as to when this was bottled. Pours an extremely thick black color, with no heading, but a milk chocolate brown rim is at the top of the glass. Aroma is outstanding, and unlike any other beer I have smelled. I get traces of chocolate, burning kindling, rum soaked raisins, vanilla and alcohol. Taste starts off incredibly juicy (chocolate covered cherries?) followed by chocolate and smoke, and finally ending on a heavy coffee aftertaste. This stuff has the ability to permeate out the sinuses to the point that you can taste this beer for hours to come. Mouthfeel is slick and heavy, resembling a port or sherry. Drinkability I would say is up to whoever is tasting it, but for me, this bottle was all to easy to finish. This is one hell of an interesting brew, and one that I am glad I tried again. I was especially surprised that there was little to no alcohol burn. I can only imagine what this brew tasted like when it was new. Either way, worth at least a try. Cheers

3.72/5  rDev +25.7%

Vintage? No clue. Little blue bottle with no date. The cork broke upon removal and fell into the bottle, so if there was a date on there, I have no idea.

Looks black as night with no head at all. A swirl in my tulip reveals a terrifying brown syrup that actually leaves legs behind. Wow. The bottle itself had a brown crust on it’s inside with a notable amount of sediment left behind.

Smells of a sweet milky caramel and hoisin sauce with hints of pomegranate and whisky. The alcohol is subtle but powerful. A deep drag singes my nostrils. The sugary sweetness is profound and far from appetizing.

Tastes of huge sticky barley with load of hoisin sauce. Perhaps a paring with Tai food is in order? Fortunately, a deep dark chocolate sneaks up from the depths and draws attention to a red grape and port that restores this beasts integrity. With this comes hints of whiskey and a dry woody oak that blends well with the other dry elements of this brew. Finishes with a touch of sour espresso and baking chocolate.

Feels about as thick as they get. This chewy mouthful is nearly devoid of carbonation, but still works well with the aggressive flavors.

Wow. What to say? It’s worth the experience. I found this at Circle Liquors for $4.50, so I can’t complain.

3.77/5  rDev +27.4%

Small corked bottle, poured into a snifter. Presumably 1997 since there is no date on the bottle.
It is thick, oily, and pitch black. Absolutely no head or carbonation as expected, but it is still not exactly a nice appearance.
It does not look like beer, and it certainly does not smell like beer. Highly alcoholic, like a brandy, plums and raisins, sugary, like a port.
On the palate is smooth, oily, and quite heavy. Starts warm, alcoholic, sweetish with multiple fruity notes, but well balanced with a huge alcoholic kick. Not overly complex, but quite the night cap. Should be shared despite the small size, the high alcoholic content is not exactly disguised, and it turns too much quite quickly.

2.17/5  rDev -26.7%

Where do I start... I received a case of Sam Adams Triple Bock as a birthday gift about 5 or 6, 7, years ago, (I lost count) and still have about a half case leftover in my basement. The time has come again for my bi-annual sampling of this unique drink, which is unlike any other beer I have ever tasted.

I always drink this at room, or in this case, cellar temperature. Upon inspection, its still black and thick and syrupy with no head or carbonation present. The smell is of fermented, smoky raisins with a hint of vanilla. The taste is very full and earthy, with flavors of burnt coffee, maple, oak and the likes of fermented soybean paste (miso) all in one.

The mouthfeel is thick like cough syrup, with a strong aftertaste. Quite frankly, this is a beer made for sipping, not drinking. Over the years, of sampling from my stash, the changes have been subtle, and it seems to mellow a bit, but not much. Definitely worth a try and worth talking about, and definitely share a bottle with a friend.

3.31/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from one of the tiny blue things bottled in 97 into a tulip glass. It's scary thick, looks more like balsamic vinegar than beer. Ten years in the bottle has stained pretty thoroughly. It sits a thick opalescent brown with no carbonation, leaving fingers on the glass as I swirl it. It smells complex, heavy, woody, spicy, and a tad like soy sauce. The taste hits like a rock. Even a little sip is almost too much. It's overwhelmingly sweet, hints of maple and soy sauce, and a lingering sweetness. It feels heavy, coating the back of my mouth, and the aftershock is almost like sucking on syrup. I can't even finish my share of a half size bottle. It's very interesting and complex, I'm glad to have had it, but I don't think I'll want much more.

1.14/5  rDev -61.5%

A lot of the reviews here are very different. Some say its great some say its awful. I can only attribute this to some bottles aging better then others. I for one got a bad bottle or just plain don't like this beer.

A - The appearance is nice. Black as night but no carbonation at all. It coats the glass in a eerie way.

S - All I smell is soy sauce. And a cheap soy sauce at that!

T - Soy sauce laced with vodka. A tiny bit of sweetness in the background but not enough to counter the soy sauce flavor.

M - Its a heavy mouthfeel but due to flavor I can't rate this all that high in this department.

D - Because of the taste uh no way. I only poured a third of the tiny bottle and could only do a sip or two before pouring that down the sink.

Well what can I say if you have ever had a bottle of soy sauce in your hand and felt the overwhelming urge to take a swig, then pick some of this up. I corked the rest of the bottle and will probably try to make some chicken with it. Kind of scared of that but it is totally like soy sauce. Some people did not describe the soy sauce smell so maybe their bottles were fresher. My bottle was from 95, the local liquor store here got some cases. They are all sitting there. I guess people tried it once and ran for their life. I really really wanted to like this but ugh.

1.84/5  rDev -37.8%

Prune juice with an alcohol burn. That's the review. Truly, I give credit to Jim Koch for experimenting, and for essentially starting the whole extreme beer movement with this brew, but -- yeah. I don't know how old my bottle is, but while beers of this sort do age well, I think a somewhat fresher version might have made a better imprssion on me. If you think this stuff is great, you really should try a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout -- a successful experiment that hasn't run amok. I actually tried cutting this with some Sprite, making a variant on a wine spritzer, but that didn't really work either. When/if there's a fresher batch around, I'll try this again.

1.78/5  rDev -39.9%

I bought a bottle of this for about $3-4, and it's been sitting in my fridge for about 1 month. I guess I've hesitated because I knew it was a very strong beer with an akward taste. I didn't have a clue. This beer was so very bad in taste it's not quite possible to describe. The best I can do: the taste was baked beans with some ketchup, and a hint of Vick's cherry cough syrup. Difficult to swallow, and difficult to keep down. Utterly undrinkable, a "1" is too high.

2.22/5  rDev -25%

So I was actually given 18 bottles of this tonight by my store manager because he doesn't like it. I was really surprised when he said he had this stuff. I went into this after reading other peoples reviews, and was kind of disappointed.

Appearance: It's a triple bock, so it should be nice and dark, which it is. It clings to the sides of the glass like a brandy does, which is fine with me because I like brandy.

Smell: I smelled it several times. From the bottle, freshly poured, swirled; it made no difference. There is a definite smell of soy sauce.

Taste: Fortunately, the smell and the taste are only slightly related. It has a sweet, syrupy taste, but in a scorched sort of way. It's not exactly pleasant, but its not horrible either. I didnt get any subtle layers of oak, wood, vanilla, cherry, or anything else anyone mentioned, only that soy/maple syrup taste.

Mouthfeel: I like the way it feels in my mouth. It has a thickness to it that I like and I'm okay with its lack of carbonation.

Drinkability: Like other people have said, its definately a sipping type of beer. You're not going to want to drink a whole bottle. Its sort of that celebratory oddity that you pull out on New Years Eve to see if it has gotten better.

Overall, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try this, and even more happy that I still have 17 bottles that I can hold onto.

My first perfect 5!

One of the best beers the world has ever seen!

I feel sorry for people who don't like it, sometimes it gets me ticked off for a second but then i think, ''hey, more pure gold for me!''

...Pours thick and black, with a red golden tint on the edges
--- smell is of god
--- amazing legs for a beer
--- taste is indescribable goodness, heavily sweetened and quite thick for a beer
--- I could die happy having tasted this and more so, i wish i had the money to buy the rest of the world's supply

... i love this beer! If Mr.Koch ever reads this, e-mail me, I'll do horrible disgusting things to get more of this beer!

2.05/5  rDev -30.7%

Split a bottle with friends at a recent beer tasting, and I'm glad I didn't have to drink it all! Inky, oily dark black body with nary a head or even carbonation for that matter. Fumes of hot liqueur and soy sauce mingle with maple syrup and alcohol. Wow. Taste is similar. Strong maple syrup and soy sauce with strong alcohol notes throughout. Syrupy, oily body with almost no carbonation. A few sips were plenty for me.

okay, so here's the deal. Traded 484dan a bottle of 120 minute for a bottle of this. He was told by his beer distributor that the beer was probably the '94 vintage. I cracked it open with some friends and was immediately struck by the overpowering smell of soy sauce (like many others have noted). I could find nothing about this beer that was enjoyable except for the novelty of such an absurd and terrible beer and the nice bottle it was in. It had the look of iodine, the smell and taste of soy sauce (minus the salt, replaced with alcohol), no carbonation and just hung on the side of the glass like motor oil. We had only poured half of the 8.45 oz bottle and had split that between two of us and still had trouble getting that down. I am going to save the rest and try it as a tofu marinade for some stir fry and see how that goes.

Basically, if you really want to try it, go ahead, but dont expect to enjoy it--not even a little.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 30.5% out of 100 with 953 ratings