Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Liked This Beer
2.96 w/ 953 ratings
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

Liked:
2.96/5
Alströms:

1.43/5  rDev -51.7%

I believe beer should be instinctively pleasant, meaning I should take a sip and automatically register enjoyment without thinking about it. This beer does not satisfy that requirement; nor (on the other hand) did it become more pleasant after reflection.

It pours a very viscous (think Hershey syrup) black, clinging to the side of the glass the way Karo syrup might. There was no head. It smelled to me like a mix of bourbon and soy sauce. Flavor was roasty, bourbon-y, yet not really all that pleasant. Mouthfeel was extremely syrupy.

I understand that we expand the definition of beer by pushing to the limits of that definition, and for that I am grateful to this beer, but I did not enjoy it.

3.67/5  rDev +24%

A: Poured from the bottle into a small scotch glass. Very dark syrupy appearance with no carbonation and obviously no lacing. A very thick liquid that looks more like syrup.

S: Sweet, malt, maple syrup, molasses, chocolate, tar, burnt wood or grass and a balsamic vinegar type smell to it. Very, very different but pleasing.

T: Wow, the alcohol comes through on the very first taste. This stuff is extremely rich tasting, extremely. The sweet syrup chocolate malt molasses flavor comes busting through. I couldn't taste any hops in this, all dark burnt malt. The finish lasts forever I assume that's the alcohol lingering.

M: Heavy, alcohol mouthfeel to it. Almost burns. Not something you swill around in your mouth for awhile.

D: Low. This is a sipping brew. In fact, I only drank about 3 ounces of it when I had enough. Keep the cork, you'll want to recork it and finish it at another time, maybe another 2 times.

Overall. I'm glad I have some of these to experiment with over the next 10 years. I'm treating it more like a fine wine to see how it ages. I don't remember how it tasted when I first bought it 8 years ago, but not that I reviewed it I can relate back to this every time I taste it again.

This is a VERY different brew and go into this open minded if you do get a chance to try it. Still, I enjoyed it very much.

3.93/5  rDev +32.8%

Unknown vintage -- guessing '97 as a few cases have turned up recently. Poured about 3 ounces into a wine glass.

Very rich aroma... sawdust, cherries, leather, molasses, and something like warm, dry air that has been trapped in a sealed room for a long time.

No carbonation, very viscous with liquid visibly coating the side of the glass when tilted back and forth.

Taste: I took this in small sips, it's incredibly rich and a large swig would definitely be a sensory overload in a bad way. Huge complex flavor and I didn't get any soy sauce. Raisins, molasses, oak, fudge, brownie batter, and hints of other flavors that defy attempts to describe them.

A quarter-glass would make an outstanding slow sipper for a snowbound winter's evening.

3.23/5  rDev +9.1%

Not sure what the vintage is on this one, but at any rate, it's getting up there in age. Served in a snifter and allowed to warm throughout comsumption.

Appearance- Extremely thick out of the bottle. Absolutely no carbonation at all. The beer is thick enough where you can see that it wants to stick to the glass as you move it around.

Smell- lots of character in this one. Blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, licorice, bourbon whiskey, oak, vanilla, a very intense cherry note, boozy alcohol, grapes, and a million other things that I'm sure would emerge with further inspection.

Taste- The first sip is completely shocking to the pallate. My mouth was engulfed in intense flavors of cherry, chocolate fudge, maple syrup, and surprisingly (yes this must actually be a beer) roasted barley. An odd occassional note of banana. Fairly hot on the way down.

Mouthfeel- thick. very thick.

Drinkability- I can't even attempt to get through this whole bottle. Maybe on a dare- but that's about the only circumstance. I could see this being extraordinary in about 50 years, and that's about how long I plan on cellaring my remaining bottle. Overall a very interesting beer, that I'm happy to have been able to try.

4.02/5  rDev +35.8%

1994 Vintage

A – Poured the thickest darkest liquid I have ever seen come out of a bottle. This looked and poured like molasses. So think, with no carbonation, no head and no lace what so ever. It was like almost a paste, definitely syrup like and just so dark, opaque and lifeless. I really was not sure what was going on with this one here, It really looked liked it meant business but I was not too sure I wanted any part of it.

S – Aroma was very robust, I was actually shocked at all of the subtle aromas I was picking up off of this one. First notes to hit the nose were of chocolate and maple syrup. A decent amount of licorice was to follow, and mixed in with it was some kinda burnt, or smoked old coffee grinds. There was also definitely a brandy like touch of alcohol to it. This was totally unmistakable and packed quite a punch in the overall flow. This was definitely not something to take lightly though and that was obvious from the very first sip.

T – Wow, you know what, at first I would have to classify this is really, totally putrid. It really was that bad when I took the first sip. As it warms up though it becomes, somewhat drinkable. I stress the somewhat because it really only was somewhat. Lots of complex flavors in here, and I am sure it has changed very much over the years, but none the less this one was still very complex in its overall profile. Lots of licorice and chocolate notes could be found throughout and were blended in nicely with a thick, maple syrup like flavor that brought and absolute ton of sugar to the table with it. Lots of alcohol, almost too much. It was just too big for me, the flavors were there if you searched for them, but it was really big and definitely hard to find much of them.

M – Hard to describe as the sips I was able to take were soo small that I really could not get a full grasp on them. There was no carbonation at all, and this had to be the thickest liquid I have ever drank. I mean it was almost sludge like going down the back of your throat. Not much in the way of a feel good brew would be the best way to put it.

D – None, and I mean that in the best possible way. There was absolutely nothing about this that would make you wanna drink any more of it. It was a novelty pure and simple and I would not try it again, actually I change that I would try it again, just would be hard to get myself to do it.

Overall I have actually had worse believe it or not. I will give it vredit as at least this had a lot of depth and profile to it and was definitely well crafted when first made. Now as far as what it has morphed into, who knows, It is still quite drinkable though, and again I have had much worse. If you can get your hands on one, try it for the novelty, it really is not that bad and I guess it falls into the category of one of those that you really have to try at least once.

4.37/5  rDev +47.6%

This beverage is difficult to rate along the same lines as most beers, but here goes.

Everything was different about the experience. The little blue bottle was unusual. I used to cork to save the beer for a couple sittings. The beer pours an amazing dark deep amber syrup. Like maple syrup.

The most amazing thing about this beer to me was the smell. It was intoxicating in itself. I literally just sat for a while and smelled it. I was content without moving on to the actual tasting. There was so much to it. All kinds of fruits, vanilla, chocolate. Grapes and raisins. Brown sugar.

The taste was great too. An immediate mixture of vanilla and cranberries. Then some cinnamon! The syrupy texture made for a beer drinking experience like non other. A few sips was sufficient for one sitting.

Clearly this beer cannot be considered drinkable in the same sense that others would. It is great as an after dinner drink. I need to have my friend who appreciate harder alcohols over to try this. This beer had given me a whole new perspective on what is possible in the realm of beer.

3.81/5  rDev +28.7%

8.45 fl oz cobalt blue bottle; corked and sealed in plastic.
Served in a snifter at room temperature.
Vintage 1997.

Deep, syrupy opaque caramel in color with a non-existant head leaving no lacing to speak of.

Rich milk chocolate, caramel, and nougget. Faint vanilla and honey with a hefty dose of rounded, maple syrup. Dry, earthen notes that meld well with aged dark fruit: raisin, plum, cherry, and fig. Surprisingly, only traces of port-like alcohol whaffs.

Big, malty richess: chocolate and caramel, met with an overwhelmingly-sweet maple syrup component. The residual sugars are too intense, they take over the palate for a moment. Aged, fruit esters: raisin and fig in particular, that attempt to balance the malty sweetness. Complex waves of alcohol lead to a dry finish with an aftertaste of espresso and maple syrup.

Full in body; ridiculously slick and also creamy on account of the sweet and rich flavors.

Originally bottled a decade ago, this was a priviledge to try. Although the flavors are rounded and quite tasty, the maple syrup is way too over-the-top. A slow sipper for sure and even though it's an 8 oz bottle, this one's best to be shared.

4.09/5  rDev +38.2%

BevMo purchase of an uncertain year I would guess the last year it was made.

Lightproof inky black colored beer it looks and smells a lot like an old Russian Imperial Stout.

From quite some distance you can smell this beers more boozy element. Sweet dark candied fruits and Bourbon are the first impressions. Intensely aromatic beer here with quite a bit of complexity. Bourbon, figs, cherry, rum, coffee, muskmelon, berries, a little cinnamon and finally some black pepper. Intensely aromatic and worthy of being a perfume, this earns a rarely given five in aroma.

Taste begins sweet and woody with a vanilla, chocolate, berry and caramel on ice cream initial flavor. Intensely flavorful and probably too intense this is quite like drinking a thick syrup intended for a dessert. The aftertaste shows no signs of really quitting and is as complex as the beer itself for minutes upon minutes afterwards Bourbon; vanilla, berries and cream are still flashing across my taste buds. A Rorschach test of flavor pretty much they are all in here including a faint ash flavor, mushroom and raspberries and chocolate. Intensely rich, I repeat, like drinking syrup.

Mouthfeel is pretty much syrup.

I however can't really call this drinkable in any conventional sense. Just too intense, and FAR MORE intense than DFH WWS of Dreadnaught, this is a complete order of magnitude above those two super intense beers. This is more of a beer that you would drizzle as a flavoring over desserts or enjoy in one-ounce quantities at the end of a meal.

An interesting experience and something I want to try as a syrup on ice cream and cheesecake, but NEVER could I drink an entire glass of this stuff it is simply too intense.

1.28/5  rDev -56.8%

1997 Vintage purchased at BevMo recently. I have no idea how it was stored. I had this back in around 2001 or 2002 and I was not a fan of it then, but was able to finish the bottle. We'll see how it goes this time.

A: Totally uncarbonated black liquid with a brown tinge at the edges. No head whatsoever.

S: Soy sauce mixed with fish sauce and sugar. Smelling it makes me a little queezy. I am not anticipating this first sip.

T: This is positively the worst beer I have had in a LONG time. I can't drink it. The flavor is so overwhelming that it almost makes me want to throw up.

M: The mouthfeel isn't awful. It's average and I'm trying to rate it independently of the flavor. I'm not sure where to take points off for the enormous amount of sediment in the bottle, so I'll do it here. It is an 8.3 ounce bottle and I would say a full 1-2 ounces is sediment.

D: Zero.

4.9/5  rDev +65.5%

ST: A 8.45 fl oz blue corked bottle poured into a glass goblet.

A: Dark dark...dark brown...looked like melted chocolate.

S: Chocolate, sugars, sweet, wonderful.

T: Wow...the burn is there, but not overpowering, smooth liquid flows down the throat and leaves oak and wood left on the pallet. Some of the best beer I have ever had. Congrats to Sam Adams for making such a complex brew.

M: Smooth cream with a slight burn. Wonderful.

D: Only reason not a 5 is that I am sure i could only have one and i would be set. This would be great drizzled over some cheesecake.

wow....just wow....

4.17/5  rDev +40.9%

One of the first extreme beers that eventually pushed me towards BA. Certainly worthy of one more belated but certainly deserved toast to the Beer Hunter.

Appearance - pours a silky black. Not a bubble in sight. As the liquid is swirled in a Belgian glass, rivulets of the brew form on the glass as the residue runs back into the main body.

Aroma - the bowl is rich with oak. Bourbon and maple come to mind as well. Concentrated chocolate, like Kahlua. heady, perfumy, and definitely potent.

Taste - intensely sweet. Vinous, oaky, lots of chocolate flavor evolving to coffee after the swallow. The sweetness is a little in the way but the flavors come through fine, along with plenty of alcohol warmth. Goes a little more to the winy side after some palate adjustment and at times has an almost candy-like flavor. The lengthy finish is nice, showing off a bittersweet chocolate bar flavor. A very unusual beer. I'm not totally sold on it, but a great one to have around just for the experience.

Mouthfeel - moderately full-bodied. No carbonation but the abv provides a little zing in its place. Insanely sticky, providing a residual for as long a finish as I can remember.

Drinkability - holding up impressively well after 10 years but these won't get any better at this point. Although this is not a session beer, I'd feel just fine if I still had a few dozen storage.

3.79/5  rDev +28%

8.45 oz. cobalt blue bottle, not sure of the vintage, but probably 1997, since i just bought it at BevMo, 35 proof,

A: Pours a thick, dark, brown, with absolutely no head, even to start with, kind of looks like engine sludge, that coats the glass with a brown alcoholic film, as the beer is drank.

S: Very complex, big maple syrup notes, molasses, wood, soy sauce, and of course, big amounts of alcohol.

T: Lots of alcohol, very sweet, with tons of maple syrup, burnt sugar, tastes a lot like if you let pure maple syrup out overnight and drank the remainder after it was reduced by evaporation. I also taste soy sauce, whiskey, oak, and a bit of cherry and smoke. It is very complex and rich, lots of flavours going on there, it's hard to quantify.

M: Thick, robust, viscous and syrupy, with a clear alcohol burn that can be felt on the tongue and on the throat as it goes down.

D: Drinkablity is low, due to the extremely high alcohol content, and the interesting flavour and characteristics of the brew. This is a beer that demands attention, is definitely a sipper, and completely different from your average beer, it seemed more like a liqueur to me.

1.73/5  rDev -41.6%

1995 vintage. Wow... this thing is 12 years old!

Pours a THICK dark color, leaving tons of yeast coating the inside of the bottle. Swirling gives NO hint of carbonation, but leaves thick, sugary legs on the glass. Also leaves behind some small particles of what look like sugar. I don't know what's expected from a beer this old and this strong, so I'm rating purely based on how appealing it is to me.

Smells sweet, like maple syrup... no hint of alcohol. Molasses and woody tones are all there, but very little hops or other beer like flavor.

The taste is horrible. It's both sweet and sour, unquaffable. I basically have to stop here, because I can't bring myself to drink more. It feels okay in the mouth, and has a decent aftertaste, but taste is wretched.

What in the world is this? I tried two bottles, so it wasn't that one went bad.

It poured a thick black ... too viscous and clingy... and it left a weird brown film that reminded me of crude oil sludge all over the glass. Very unpleasant to the eye, but it was about to get worse.

As soon as it approached my nose I realized that something was horribly, horribly wrong. Soy, mixed with maple, combined with rotting fruit? The taste was even more miserable. Tasted like sour prune juice blended with soy sauce. This is one foul, nasty, undrinkable brew. Whatever they were going for here, they failed spectacularly.

Worst tasting thing I can ever recall consuming. I would rather plunge heated barbed wire into my tongue than allow this to ever touch my precious palate again. I curled on the floor of a shower and cried for a good 15 minutes until its ungodly taint left my flesh.

This beer has led me to make this solemn vow: I will pimp this product whenever possible so as to ensure that others experience the same misery I have.

1.81/5  rDev -38.9%

Vintage unknown, but based on the info I have this is at least ten years old. This beer looks exactly like soy sauce.. Totally flat. No head, no carbonation. Powerful aroma wafts out of the glass. I get a smell like hershey's syrup, maybe with a little cane syrup, and maybe a little like canned malt extract or wort. Just a wisp of alcohol in the back.

Hmmm..flavor is intense. It is soooo intensely sweet. Alcohol burns it back and there is definately a big bitter presence but I can't really say if it is from hops or what. I don't really even taste flavors in this beer so much as a clash of those three sensations, sweet, bitter, burning. I mean I'm not going to lie. I grimace when I take a sip of this. I'm on my third sip and I feel like a little kid taking his medicine tiny sip by tiny sip because he doesn'y understand it just better to get it over with. I don't find it complex really, just intense. Its prettymuch like trying to eat straight molasses or cane syrup. I get a slightly herbal hop tone way down there someplace and I guess thats part of where all this bitterness comes from. I get a kind of nice, malty, coacoa aftertaste. Maybe this was more of an experience fresh, but at 10, it just seems like a stepping stone better things in beer history. If any BA's read this I hope they won't stone me but man, this is getting drainpoured. If you have a bottle of this I suggest you try to make some kind of rich, badass sauce out of it.

2.03/5  rDev -31.4%

Okay, bought a case of this on a whim...makes a great gift 1 bottle at a time.

A: Intimidating. Darker than old engine oil. No head, and leaves molasses brown syrup on the side of the glass. Gotta get up your nerve to drink.

S: COFFEE! Coffee, molasses, vinegary, and soy sauce. blech.

T: Coffee, w/ molasses, and maybe even a hint of toffee. Also a little oakey. Bitter, bitter bitter!

M: Thick and syrupy. Little like cough syrup. Makes your lips smack and makes you pucker.

D: This is best when you are already drunk and have a nice load on. BUT BE CAREFUL...at 20+ alcohol % it doesn't take long for it to catch up w/ you.

Open a bottle and share this w/ 4 or 5 bro's. Everyone gets a taste and even that little sip does the job.

1.06/5  rDev -64.2%

The Sam Adams Triple bock, I first had this in 1995 when both of us were a lot younger. I was only 19 at the time and I while I already liked good beer, this one was a little much for me. I remember it tasting like soy sauce. I got this bottle off of ebay for about $10 to give it one more shot to see if has matured along with my palatte.

A-Pours a viscour balsamic vinegar colour with no head or bubbles. Carbonation is gone from this one. With no head it is hard to rate this one as beer but I am not so sure it is.

S-the Aroma is powerful, very musty and vinuous. I am getting that soy or fermented black bean scent as well. It is quite potent but not in a good way. I actually fear the first sip.

T-The taste is burnt sugar, vinegar and burnt malt. The aftertaste is of pure alcohol as this has not been tamed by time. That same soy sauce taste comes through as if you are taking a shot of spoiled soy sauce. This is repugnant. I like black bean sauce but i dont stick my spoon in the jar and pull out a full spoon. that is what this is like, rotten.

M-No carbonation and very viscous. Might be good for a port.

D-I have not poured a beer out in a long time but I can't drink this. I like port, scotch, cognac and many other sipping alcohols. This makes me wince when i drink it. This is as terrible as it was in 1995. i gave this another shot becuase I figured my 19 yr old tastebuds in 95 could not handle it. Apparently I am giving my 19 yr old self too little credit.

4.31/5  rDev +45.6%

This 12-year old beer tasted in a snifter:

Pours black with no head (considering there is no carbonation, that is not a surprise) that leaves a thin brownish body (like a wine) on the glass when swirled.

The smell is of raisins and prunes. Molasses/chocolatey notes with vinuous/sherry-like notes intermingling. Hints of maple and oak come through with warming alcohol. Very strong aroma.

The taste is of sweetened prunes and raisins with a molasses/chocolate backing. A dozen years have mellowed this, because the alcohol is warming and certainly noticeable, but not as sharp as the abv would have it. Maple syrup and oak flow in and out - Maple not as forward as in the Utopias. Chocolate and vanilla mix in, especially as it progresses. Dark fruits are in the forefront throughout. It is sweet, though not cloying. This is unique and complex to say the least.

It sure is a sip and savor. Syrupy, but not overly thick. The 8.45 oz. bottle is more than enough for one sitting. This is a delightful treat to enjoy as a long nightcap when in the mood for "something different". I'm very happy that I had a chance to get a couple bottles of this unique brew. I would love to see it revived.

pours jet black into a standard wine glass leaving a light brown coating when swirled in the glass. intense smokey aromas of prune, soy sauce, dark molasses, and a hint of the maple syrup and oak wood. taste is intense and complex like a fine aged liqueur. mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium body, and no carbonation. a great after dinner drink to sip and enjoy

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

Note: I am reviewing this beer while taking into consideration this is basically an extreme experimental beer - if reviewed as a standard Strong Ale, the ratings would be lower.

So, how to review such an infamous beer...

Pours a ridiculously thick dark reddish black. No head whatsoever (of course, I'd be crazy to expect one). The so called "legs", or whatever term you'd like to apply, are unlike anything I've seen. Looks like used motor oil coating the sides of the glass. Sound appetizing? Well, let's look further.

Smell is intense. No, I mean it. Really intense. Bourbon. Maple syrup. Alcohol. Sweetness. Caramel/toffee. Slight medicinal quality. Intense.

Taste, as expected, is not what you would call light. I'd have to say this is the thickest beer I've had (thicker than the Beast even). Taste is of syrupy dark fruits, molasses, port, bourbon and caramel. I can see the maple syrup taste too, although I might not have noticed that without having read it was brewed with it. While the first few sips take some getting used to, the balance in this is actually not too bad (putting aside how thick and rich it is).

Mouthfeel is extremely rich and thick. Syrupy. The definition of a syrupy beer. Could it be better in this regard? Yes. But, given when this was made, and the state of extreme beers at that time, it is forgivable. Alcohol is present, but is to the point that it serves as a warming characteristic and still lets the other flavors shine. Nice warming on the back of the throat.

Drinkability you ask? You're not going to drink a six pack of this. But, for what it is, it suffices.

Well, an interesting brew indeed. I'm glad I picked this up. And I could see cracking one of these every 1/2 year or so to revisit and see the continued aging progress. Recommended for a try at the very least.

One last edit: As I progress further along, I enjoy this more. It reminds me quite a bit of drinking bourbon - a very malty one that is - as it is both quite intense and warming, but yet strangely satisfying.

Ok, a real last edit: This was good enough, and different enough, that I cleared out the last 9 bottles at the local BevMo. For $4.50 a bottle for such a unique experimental beer that I find quite enjoyable, I couldn't resist. So yes, 10 bottles in the cellar. 1 every half year or so. Should be fun.

1.32/5  rDev -55.4%

This brew poured a very deep brownish red. It was absolutely devoid of head: a murky abyss. It appeared thick, clinging ferociously to the walls of my snifter. Very pungent, smelling deeply of soy sauce with a small tinge of alcohol that creeps into the nose. Immediately after putting the glass to my lips I received a deep coffee taste that entered strong and abrupt and refused to leave. I can't think of a word that would describe the taste of this brew doing it any justice ... --intense-- is the only thing that comes to mind. The mouthfeel was fairly good, i enjoyed the mildly thick consistency and lack of carbonation but nothing to write home about. It was extremely hard to get a good feel since I was only able to take small sips. I think this is one of the hardest beers to drink that i've ever experienced. It's not that it is too complex, it's flavors are just extremely potent. The alcohol was very hard to detect except for the warming sensation which makes me bump the drinkability up a little. I recommend trying it once as it's pretty unique from what i've tasted however i don't see myself ever buying it again.

3.67/5  rDev +24%

I saw this on the shelf and remember my 12th grade government teacher telling me that it could not be sold in Iowa, granted that was 5 years ago.

It poured with no carbonation to speak of, although there was slight fizz when I pulled out the cork.

Smelled strong, maple syrup easily noticed.

tasted strong. the alcohol could be noticed but was not overpowering. impressive considering the abv on the sucker.

I wonder if I could put half back in. Drinking a whole bottle will take a lot out of me wish me luck.

3.67/5  rDev +24%

A 250 mL bottle of the 1995 vintage purchased at Joe Canal's in Lawrence Township, NJ. It also marks my 1,000th review.

A: The beer opens without a pop and pours with no sign of any carbonation. The ale is a dark ruby red to black color and sits still a glass of tap water.

S: The nose is strong! At an arm's length, the aroma is quite formidable. There is maple syrup aroma, not quite as intense as Utopias. Some buttery oak aromas come through as well, adding a very powerful sweetness to the body.

T: A sip reveals a very complex beer. The maple syrup, much like Utopias, has added a depth of sugary sweet flavor that most beers can only dream of. Some vanilla and alcoholic heat round out the flavor. The sweetness is strong, often over the top and a worthy predecessor to Utopias.

M: The syrupy sweetness, mixed with vanilla and a ton of alcohol make this an interesting one. The smaller size certainly helps.

D: This is a mouthful! Big flavors abound and even in its old age (12 or so years now), the beer has held up admirably. At 17.5% though, one bottle is enough.

1.55/5  rDev -47.6%

I feel really bad reviewing this, but by what I hear, this is a beer people either love or hate. I hated it.
Upon pouring, it looked promising. Still, opaque darkness. Pretty menacing, really. It all goes downhill from here.
The best way for me to describe the smell and taste of this beer is a shot of vodka chased with a bite of burnt chocolate chip pancakes covered in maple syrup.
The mouthfeel was pretty decent, though.
Drinkable? No. Not for me anyways.
I should mention that I think I got a poorly store bottled, given the ring at the edge of the liquid in the bottle. Regardless, from reading the reviews of others I don't think what I got was too far off.

2.86/5  rDev -3.4%

I'm not sure of the release year of my bottle, but I was anywhere from 12-15 years old at the time of brewing. That's impressive. I drank mine in a tulip glass.

Appearance is a very dark brown, bordering on black and when people say no carbonation we're talking about zero. It's thick looking and leaves legs longer and stickier than any wine I've ever seen.

The smell of this beer is out of control. It's somewhere between pure ethanol, soy sauce, molasses and dark fruits like prunes.

The taste is quite like the smell. It's sweet, yet has a sour finish. Very earthy, woody, and soy. I also get the prunes, maple syrup and oak. You can definitely tell it was aged in wood.

The feel of this beer is like a thick oil slick, more so than a port. It leaves a dark film on anything it touches including your teeth. I think I got 4 cavities and gained 8 pounds from 4 ounces of it.

To call this drinkable is a bold statement. It depends how you define drinkable I suppose. I could imagine a few ounces by the fire in the winter, and really enjoying it. I'm glad I got to try this, but am not sure I'll go back.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 30.5% out of 100 with 953 ratings