Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
2.96/5
Poor
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

3.67/5  rDev +24%

A 250 mL bottle of the 1995 vintage purchased at Joe Canal's in Lawrence Township, NJ. It also marks my 1,000th review.

A: The beer opens without a pop and pours with no sign of any carbonation. The ale is a dark ruby red to black color and sits still a glass of tap water.

S: The nose is strong! At an arm's length, the aroma is quite formidable. There is maple syrup aroma, not quite as intense as Utopias. Some buttery oak aromas come through as well, adding a very powerful sweetness to the body.

T: A sip reveals a very complex beer. The maple syrup, much like Utopias, has added a depth of sugary sweet flavor that most beers can only dream of. Some vanilla and alcoholic heat round out the flavor. The sweetness is strong, often over the top and a worthy predecessor to Utopias.

M: The syrupy sweetness, mixed with vanilla and a ton of alcohol make this an interesting one. The smaller size certainly helps.

D: This is a mouthful! Big flavors abound and even in its old age (12 or so years now), the beer has held up admirably. At 17.5% though, one bottle is enough.

1.55/5  rDev -47.6%

I feel really bad reviewing this, but by what I hear, this is a beer people either love or hate. I hated it.
Upon pouring, it looked promising. Still, opaque darkness. Pretty menacing, really. It all goes downhill from here.
The best way for me to describe the smell and taste of this beer is a shot of vodka chased with a bite of burnt chocolate chip pancakes covered in maple syrup.
The mouthfeel was pretty decent, though.
Drinkable? No. Not for me anyways.
I should mention that I think I got a poorly store bottled, given the ring at the edge of the liquid in the bottle. Regardless, from reading the reviews of others I don't think what I got was too far off.

2.86/5  rDev -3.4%

I'm not sure of the release year of my bottle, but I was anywhere from 12-15 years old at the time of brewing. That's impressive. I drank mine in a tulip glass.

Appearance is a very dark brown, bordering on black and when people say no carbonation we're talking about zero. It's thick looking and leaves legs longer and stickier than any wine I've ever seen.

The smell of this beer is out of control. It's somewhere between pure ethanol, soy sauce, molasses and dark fruits like prunes.

The taste is quite like the smell. It's sweet, yet has a sour finish. Very earthy, woody, and soy. I also get the prunes, maple syrup and oak. You can definitely tell it was aged in wood.

The feel of this beer is like a thick oil slick, more so than a port. It leaves a dark film on anything it touches including your teeth. I think I got 4 cavities and gained 8 pounds from 4 ounces of it.

To call this drinkable is a bold statement. It depends how you define drinkable I suppose. I could imagine a few ounces by the fire in the winter, and really enjoying it. I'm glad I got to try this, but am not sure I'll go back.

3.6/5  rDev +21.6%

1994 Brew Reserve, on sale at BevMo in 2007. Damn, they can't even get the simplest beer requests, but they got this? Go figure. I figured what the hell, @ $4.49 a bottle. I haven't had this beer in probably 12 years, and this one is now 14 years old; it was probably the same vintage that I had back then. Time to spontaneously revisit the past! I had just discovered craft beer back then....

Dark. Deep purple/black/crude oil colored. There is exactly one bubble in the top, and it's pretty big for a beer bubble. Tons of shit at the bottom of the bottle; pure sludge like you've never seen before.

It smells just like I remember it: dank, robust, extreme, Karo syrup, whiskey, alcohol, malt reduction, wet smoke, man oh man this is the definition of extreme beer. Now I see, we haven't evolved past 1994, we're still trying to catch up to 1994!

Upon tasting the first sip, I can see the difference 14 years can make. It smells the same, but it tastes alot different (although fundamentally the same beer). Very sweet and slightly tart, full of depth and complexity. It's much more mellow than it was fresh, rounder around the edges and refined. Port like. Cigars, dark maple syrup, rich fruit, decadence, dirt, lawn mower exhaust, demi-glaze. It's almost like it has un-attenuated itself while gaining alcohol. A celiac's graphic suicide, and a malt lover's eternal wet dream. It's a whole 6-pack in one 8.5oz serving.

Thick, rich, sweet, sticky, oily. There is more carbonation in the air than there is in this beer.

Drinkability is...not so good. A real challange it is to finish a tiny little bottle. It's very good and complex, but it has a real ego problem.

This beer makes the rating system seem obsolete. I've rated simple pilsners and kolsch beers higher than this, yet the complexity of this beer is way beyond what your senses could possibly take in. This was a great find, a blast down memory lane, and a history lesson all in one (for me anyways). I can only drink one every 10 years, but I still love it. Sam Adams would have either loved it or dispised it, but Jim Koch definately made his mark in the beer world, and this is the beer heard round the world for the US. One little nip is enough for 6 people to share.

Remarkable, but certainly not for everyone. I'm truly grateful that I got to experience the same beer at two completely different times in my life. It takes me back, just like music. Cheers!

3.17/5  rDev +7.1%

appearance - No head, no lace, no carbonation. Almost like motor oil. Black, but clings to the side and coats the glass brown.

smell - Maple syrup and alcohol

taste - More maple syrup and alcohol

mouthfeel - And more Maple syrup and alcohol, oh ya almost forgot, heavy body. Real thick.

drinkability - I couldn't finish this off, it was too strong, and wasn't enjoyable. What I should of done was drink it in a shot glass and slammed it. Serious, was way too strong. I drink the New port Storm extreme brews. Those are like 12%. Wasn't happening here.

2.9/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

1997 Vintage. I was 14 when this beer was bottled.

Appearance: The pour is dark brown with no head and no evidence of carbonation. This is one viscous brew. A swirl turns the wall of the glass dark yellow.

Smell: The nose is promising. Brandy and Kahlua stand out in front of sweet maple syrup, molasses, caramel, dark fruit, and a bit of sea salt.

Taste: Well, here's the soy sauce. It's somewhat hidden, but it's hidden behind a ridiculously sweet flavor profile. I like the roasted malts, the port, brandy, and dark fruit, but it's had to pick them out and while your trying to, you have to put up with some intensely unappealing flavors.

Mouthfeel: It's oily with almost no carbonation.

Drinkability: This is an interesting drink, but I should have split it between four friends.

3.06/5  rDev +3.4%

Probably one of the most ridiculous beers I have ever had. Per my friend, this stuff gets brewed every two years, so I lucked out and may have gotten one not made in the 1990s. After I uncorked it, I poured about half of it out into a mug. It was pitch black, like vanilla extract. Head and lacing are a distant memory for this beer as there is none present at all. The smell was alcohol and fermented maple syrup. The most alcohlic smelling beer I have ever smelled in my life. The best way to describe the initial taste is that it tasted like burning. Once the initial layers of my tongue were singed off due to the alcohol, I began to taste some maple syrupy hints with wooden undertones. The mouthfeel was more like liquor than beer. A barleywine felt like a pilsner compared to this. However, it is a triple bock, so, if you can drink it, it will fill you up. Drinkability? I am not even going to acknowledge assessment. Turpentine is more likely a better thing for your body than this stuff, but I highly recommend the experience of it. It is one you will definitely not forget, if you can find the stuff.

3.67/5  rDev +24%

1995 vintage opened in June 2007. The cork disintegrated upon twisting, and we ended up with bits of cork in the beer... not a good start.

A- Pitch black. Looks like 8,000 mile used oil. No head. Leaves a stain on the glass, and legs that Barbie would be jealous of.

S- Very, very strong. The best part of the beer. Roasted nuts, dark heavy malt, soy sauce, alcohol. Feels like it's coating your nasal passages with burnt malt.

T- Initial strong malt, then soy sauce and meat marinade. This beer would be better for cooking with than drinking. A sour tinge comes next, with tons of oak, nuts, and burnt sugar. Lots of alcohol, and the flavor lingers in your mouth forever. Edit: amaretto, intense woody notes, that delicious oak sourness, cork, cherry, sherry, plum, coffee, and hints of a dark flemish.

M- Slick, oily, smooth. No carbonation... of course, it's a 12 year old beer.

D- Not drinkable. I had about 2 ounces and struggled through it. I got the impression, and my comrades agreed, that this is more like beer concentrate than beer. It is to beer what a box of Pepsi syrup is to Pepsi. If you put it on a machine that diluted and force-carbonated it, it might be drinkable... but it's like drinking heavy cream instead of milk.

EDIT: had the 97 vintage several times since. I feel I was far too harsh on this beer at first, largely because of the naysayers around me bitching and moaning about the soy sauce. I despise it when other people influence my opinion of a beer because they can't keep their own opinions to themselves.

SECOND EDIT: 1995 vintage again. this beer is actually excellent. Amazing port-like complexity, and it's very drinkable. I think the manner in which this beer is stored may drastically affect the flavor, as I've had some fairly poor ones... but had I reviewed this one first, it would probably have garnished a 4.3 or so.

In summary, I love Jim Koch. I think he has done more for the craft beer scene in America than almost anyone. And this really is a great beer. Amazing for what it did and proved, but also simply a crazy taste experience in its own right. Certainly worth a try, and worthy of respect regardless of how much you like it.

3.28/5  rDev +10.8%

This brew comes in a blue cobalt bottle with a cork stopper. Very attractive packaging. The only indication of it's attributes on the bottle reads: "Ale brewed with maple syrup."

Pours a thick black, like oil. first appearance is not of beer, but of a spirit. No carbonation, no head, just black.

Smell is of strong maple syrup and alcohol, little else. Cannot detect any hops or barley. This may be too strong to be called a beer.

Taste is very intense. Sweet maple syrup is up front, with alcohol very close behind. There is a hint of a strange salty feel. The aftertaste is sweet, better than the liquid itself. Definitely could not drink more than one in a sitting.

Mouthfeel is of thick black syrup. The maple syrup it was brewed with takes the front seat in this one.

This brew demands a drinkers attention. Very strong and potent. One may be too much for me, but for some reason i love it. Definitely snatch one of these up if you can find it. An interesting experience at worst.

Pours out dark brown, almost looking like soy sauce. When swirled around the glass, it leaves an iodine-like film. Smells like roasted malts, concentrated prune juice, and soy sauce. Tastes just about the same but has a taste of celery salt in the finish and aftertase. Mouthfeel is sickly and slick. Totally undrinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +36.1%

Note: Triple Bock is not a very strong Bock, nor is it a Lager at all. It's an Ale. Sam Adams used a high-powered top-fermenting yeast for this beer allowing it to reach near 18%ABV. Triple Bock was apparently used for a name because when the beer was conceived in the early 90's the Bock style was considered the strongest well known style.

Before trying this beer keep in mind that this beer is not your typical beer. The appearance, smell, and taste will all take you places you have never been before.

Bottle into snifter (split 3-ways). 1997 vintage, sampled May 13, 2007, the day of my college graduation. I have had this one sitting around since 2003, and I saved it for my graduation day.

Deep opaque burnt chesnut hue with no head and no lacing. Pours like dirty motor oil (oh, it's beautiful). Swirling the beer leaves a small film wherever the beer traveled.

The smell is abyss-deep malts with a strong maple aroma. A smooth rich aroma blends in it with everything. Strong alcohol aromas.

Ultra thick and about as full bodied as a beer can get. The feel is silky smooth because of the lack of carbonation. Thick and bitter malts are the base along with some sweet maple syrup mixed in. A touch of cherry can also be tasted. The alcohol is very well hidden considering the amount. The finish is a little bit of lingering maple and dark coffee.

Most people who try this beer don't like it mostly because they don't know what to expect. This brew would make even a robust Russian Imperial Stout quiver in fear. For this reason, the drinkability was lowered since it's not very quaffable. Rather, this should be enjoyed in a snifter and slowly sipped, even shared between two or more people. All the flavors and aromas are what they should be, and they do not ruin the beer. If you don't find something you like in this beer, and think it's an abomination: grow a pair, then try again.

4.07/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

95 bottle served in 07. A 12 year old beer?

A. Dark, sticky, almost like a syrup. It leaves an interesting tan residue on the side of the glass. Very nice

S. OK I get the soy sauce stuff people are talking about. It isn't soy sauce but I'm at aloss for how to describe the difference. It also has the chocolate and sugary smell that you'd expect from a bock. I will say that the smell isn’t this beers strong suit. It’s got a very complex and interesting smell with a lot of good features, but it doesn’t all mix that well. Not offensive though.

T. It tastes a lot like their double bock, only 10x strong and so many more complexities that words just can't do justice.

M. Just perfect for what it is. Very smooth and thick.

D. It's meant to be served 2 oz at a time. If you can't finish a bottle it's because you WERN"T MENT TO! I find all the negative reviews where people mention that almost insulting to this beer. It's like complaining you can't finish a 12 pack of another beer by yourself. Gee...yeah think? In a 2 oz serving it's just about perfect. I'll be honest; I sipped on this beer for about 2 hours and did finish it.

Go into this beer understanding what you're getting and you'll enjoy it. If you go into it expect a traditional beer you'll probally not know what to think and dislike it.

2.79/5  rDev -5.7%

Absurdly strong aroma. Several of my friends, relatives, and I split a bottle to all experience it at once. That is probably the best way to describe it; an experience.

The oddly harsh aroma is characterized mostly by an alcoholic warmness, and has a distinct soy sauce like quality. Once you pass this initial on slot, you can sense hints of caramel and maple syrup.

I can not make up my mind whether it was amazing of horrible. It pours nearly jet black with brown highlights and no head at all. When rolled in a glass it leaves a deep brown and thick film.

Once you get past the nasal bombardment, the flavor is very complex: caramel, raisin, malt, prune, and chocolate. Reminiscent of a port with a very warming alcohol flavor.

Even if the rest of the experience was a bit ‘off’, the mouthfeel more than makes up for it. Velvety syrup than almost lubricates your palate as you swallow. Like nothing I have had before.

Drinkability is um…. not high, definitely a sipping beverage; at least for me. Certainly a unique and experimental beer experience. Try it, if not solely for curiosity’s sake.

2.54/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle (1997 vintage drank in 2007): Poured a deep black color beer with no head or lacing or even carbonation for that matter. Aroma of dark brown sugar with sweet malt is quite extreme. Alcohol was no discernable which is quite a feat at 17%. Taste is extremely sweet and definitely too sweet for my own taste buds. I understand the soy sauce commentary I read in previous ratings but more gear toward sweet then salty in his case. I can see this as something to sip but this is definitely not something I would drank very often.

3.6/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours out a realy dark black with a red tint with no lacing.
Smells like wine, a really strong wine. In fact it smells like a bottle of wine that had been setting for two weeks in a hot appartment.
Smell is chocolate and wine. Dark Cherry tobbaco. dark raisin/grape.
Taste is sweet, very sweet. tobacco sweet. not choclolate here
just sweet black.
Of course it is way to much alcohol here but damn, this concoction is mellow and sweet. Dark cherry with a dark chocolate overview!.
This one loses its confidence early.

3.04/5  rDev +2.7%

Also not sure why this is retired as I recently saw several bottles on the shelf. I going to guess my bottle was from 1997.

Neat packaging, with a corked, small bottle. Pours with no head and almost no carbonation. Super thick and syrupy looking. Very dark brown, almost black color.

Aroma was rather nice. Spicy, with clearly present alcohol. Sweet, maple syrup aroma. Notes of whiskey and a slight touch of roasted malt.

Flavor is dominated by an overly sweet, syrupy flavor and a medicinal alcohol middle. This is followed by a sweet, almost milky taste and then a good, fairly dry finish with some toasty malt notes. Some interesting flavors, but the sweet, medicine ones overpower and ruin this for me.

Mouthfeel is flat, very thick and syrupy. I couldn't finish this bottle, but I think it could be nice in 2 oz servings (as per Sam Adams website), slowly sipped. I might buy another bottle and age it some more to try this way.

A '97 vintage, I've had this one three years, bought at Blue Max, if memory serves me. Its been sitting humbly, watching others chosen before it. No matter, its a humble beer. No, not really.

Into a small tulip glass, pours the thickest, sludgiest, viscous oil jet black I've ever seen, so thick, when swirled it coats the sides of the glass in a syrupy tan slick. Its legs would send oenophiles into ecstasy. Already, this just isn't a normal beer, not in a long shot.

The aroma goes straight for the jugular, after 10 years of developing the alcohol just intoxicating after one whiff. Its like a boubon black sherry berry brown alcoholic maple sugar syrup. Ya, like that. Plus, licorice.

When it goes to mouth, its pretty much completely out of the ordinary. This is a bock? Sure, why not. Its also a whole lot more. I almost hate to just sit here naming its attributes, but here it goes. Lots of liquor, sherry and port and bourbon, copious amounts, sweetness in flavors of syrup, sugars, some molasses, raisins, a bit woody, a lot alcoholy... At first I wanted to share it, now I need to share it, and glad I am, because its so so strong, so potent.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this one. For one, and I'm almost ashamed to say, I couldn't quite finish it, just too much. But its really just that crazy, and a sign of a great brewer, to put together a beer that ages for a decade and comes out like some crazy sublime elixir or intoxication. So, in sum, I'm really glad I finally put this one under my belt, but just like the Utopia, damn, thats it for me.

4.37/5  rDev +47.6%

This is a 12 year old bottle.

Pours black with a motor oil like quality, highlight are caramel brown. There is no head whatsoever.

Aroma is smokey, slightly charred dark malt. Unsderlying brown suagr like sweetness that must be from the maple syrup. Alcohol is solvent like in it's intensity.

Taste is sweet and smooth up front with generous black loquorice flavor. Maple syrup, brown sugar, chocolate, and interesting smokey dark malt. Hints of dark fruit. No hops. Finish is extremely dry and woody. Alcohol flavor is unmistakeable; brandy like.

Mouthfeel is full, think, and so smooth.

This is an amazing brew. Initially it seems more like liquor than beer due to the sweetness and alcohol sting. However, the wonderful chocolate, smokey malt character makes this like no liquor I have enjoyed. A great brew, it's really a shame that this isn't offered any longer. This brew is something special.

4.64/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle was a 1995 vintage.

Poured a dark thick brown with some dark orange highlights. No head to speak of at all.

This beer smells like exactly like a fine old Tawny Port, sweet,oaky, intense, some hints of dark fruit, raisons, chocolate and its very powerful.

The flavor is amazing, a huge complex mixture of chocolate, toffee, star anise, oak, and alcohol. The flavor is more sweet than bitter though does have a bit of smoky bitter chocolate in the finish. This is more like drinking a fine liqueur than beer, but is still amazing. I am blown away by the complexity, the flavors seem to linger forever, and while the alcohol is noticeable its flavors aren't dominating and are very subtle. This beer is so hard to decribe, the best I can say is its like drinking a fine tawny port with alot of dark malts thrown in.

Mouthfeel is warm and slick up front with a long dry finish that seems to last forever.

By no means an everyday session beer, but incredibly drinkable for the huge abv and immensily enjoyable due to its uniqueness. I just wish I could aquire more of this.

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%

so i went to buy this at City Wide in Mishawaka and my "go-to" beer guy told me just to take it for free because no-one ever buys it and he doesn't like it, so that was nice of him. Uncorked it and poured into a glass...black with no carbonation. looks kind of like iodine in the glass. Smells like alcohol and soy sauce and teriyaki. Weird odor, not beer like at all. alcohol odor gets stronger as the beer warms up. Taste is maplely, soy sauce, salty. Very booxy and warming. slightly sweet, some fruitiness. I actually think its pretty decent, and definitely interesting. Probably the one beer among all that i've had that should definitely be classified as a "sipper". I couldn't get through the whole bottle becuase it was too heavy for me so i shared it with friends and made a "cream ale" with the rest of mine using some King Cobra i had on hand....and let me be the first to say that mixing King Cobra and SA Triple Bock as actually quite a pleasant experience.

2.68/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer poured a dark yellowish brown with no head. The beer seemed very oily leaving a yellowish coating on the glass. The smell was a very strong smell of chocolate and soy sauce, with hints of sweetness.

The taste was a very strong chocolate and soy sauce taste as well, with hints of sugar and saltiness. Very strong alcohol and almost a little tart. the mouthfeel was ok, with it being very thick, but too oily.

A very strange beer, but then again I have not had many beers that were not carbonated and this strong. Worth a try just for the novelty of it.

2.91/5  rDev -1.7%

Retired? They still have a few bottles at the packies around Beantown.

Anyway, there's nary a pop when you open the cork, and this... beverage pours an opaque umber/black with no head. In fact, no carbonation. None. Not a single bubble. Very strong aromas of molasses, pumpernickel, chocolate, and dried berries. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, slippery and oily - tastes like molasses and pumpernickel with a sweet alcohol kick - actually quite smooth in that regard, the alcohol is less "hot" than even in most wines.

Overall, I just don't quite know what's up with this "beer." It's completely flat, has no hop taste or aroma whatsoever, and isn't even particularly bittered. Really it tastes more like a molasses wine than anything. Which is nice I suppose, but certainly not what I was looking for in a triple bock (or an American Strong Ale for that matter).

3.52/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer pours as thick as it tastes. It sits in the glass like heavy syrup and is as dark as used oil. It holds to the glass with a brown glaze. It smells smoky and sweet with traces of maple and roasted coffee. It has a slightly woody smell and fills the senses. The taste is sweet and maple with strong hints of chocolate and coffee. It has strong alcohol bite and a lingering after taste. The beer feels sticky and smooth and sits in your mouth. In all it’s a very drinkable beer for the strong beer style. It is certainly a special beer for a special occasion. It’s not your normal beer and it’s more of an experience then a drink.

2.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

Jet black, syrupy look. No head or lace. Leaves a dark syrupy film on the inside of the glass.

Aroma is winy with hints of chocolate, maple syrup, and soy sauce.

Flavor begins like a heavy red wine. Molasses, coco, and maple. A faint aftertaste of sweet apple cider slides in, but is gone almost immediately. No carbonation whatsoever. Alcohol is noticeable, but not nearly what you'd expect from a beer at 17%.

3.4/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer pours, from a cobalt blue bottle, a thick very dark brown color. No light shines through this one. It has absolutely no head or laces at all.

This beer has a very strong aggressive aroma. The alcohol content is very present. Behind that, I smell some dark fruits. Cherries, and figs mostly. I smell bourbon. It smells very sweet and malty. It has a slight chocolate aroma as well. I think I can also detect a slight soy sauce aroma. Different.

Holy shit this beer tastes aggressive! It has a fruity flavor. Chocolate covered cherries. Maybe some raspberries. The alcohol content is very present in the flavor. I taste some raisins also. It has a bourbon flavor also.

This beer is very full bodied. It is very aggressive. It leaves a chocolate covered cherry aftertaste. This beer warms the throat as it goes down. It has no carbonation what so ever.

This beer would make a terrable session beer. It is very high in alcohol. Just the 8.5 oz is almost too much. Also, the flavors are so aggresive and there are just so many, that it is hard enought to have the one glass.

Overall: I am happy to have had the chance to try this one. I doubt I will ever get it again, but for now I am pleased. Drinking this beer is proving to be a chore. I think it is just a little too over the top for me.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)