Samuel Adams Triple Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock
Liked This Beer
2.96 w/ 953 ratings
Samuel Adams Triple BockSamuel Adams Triple Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Though the little cobalt bottles still decorate the shelves today, this beer only had 3 vintage releases; 1994, 1995, and 1997. Brewed with two row malted barley, water, Noble hops and yeast, along with maple syrup, it was then aged several months in oak whiskey barrels before being bottled. At the time it was considered the world's strongest beer, and a precursor of today's Extreme Beers.

Added by Todd on 01-10-1998

Liked:
2.96/5
Alströms:

4.07/5  rDev +37.5%

Appearance: Blue glass with Gold Leaf style lettering let you know that you are in for a treat right off the bat. It pours a very thick and dark black almost like high viscosity used engine oil type color. Sticky looking tan residue lines the glass along the edges with absolutely no head or noticeable signs of Carbonation.

Smell: The second the cork is out, a huge nose overwhelms. A smoky, slightly charred element with strong molasses and maple traces, also slight traces of soy sauce and just cooked coffee beans, much like many Ports.

Taste: Sweet and Sour with more sweetness with every sip. Then comes molasses which quickly rolls into new england autumnish, smoky maple and ends with slight peppery hints, also dark chocolate and coffee hints present. Its quite an interesting and unique taste.

Mouth: Smooth yet sticky in the fact that it coats your entire mouth and is there to stay.

Drinkability: Very good for certain occasions, but can't see it being a common beer pairing. I can drink it, and like it, but not more the a bottle at a time in the proper setting. Probably a phenomenal dessert beer.

2.87/5  rDev -3%

Just got a bottle from someone not interested in it. 1995 bottling.
Even though the bottle had been stored on it's side to keep the cork moist it had leaked over the years. Broke the wax and tried to uncork. Cork broke into bits and finally fell into the bottle despite my best efforts.
Poured into a tall shot glass inky black as night and thick as 30 weight. The smell jumps out of the bottle, super sweet malt, dark raisins, plums, brown sugary malts, and huge maple syrup. Almost a medicinal alcoholic note in the nose.
Taste is huge, no carbonation, thick as molassas, maple syrup, dark fruits, port and sherry.
Mouthfeel is chewy, slick, and thick. Probably no way I'll finish this one, just a few sips to get the experience under my belt. I love extreme beers and this is one of the most extreme out there.

2.86/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottled in December 2000.

Appearance: Good lord. This doesn't even look like beer. No head, no carbonation, just solid, oily blackness. It doesn't really look "good" in the sense that I'd usually think a beer looks good, but it definitely looks interesting.

Smell: Soy sauce. Dark chocolate. Marmite. Booze. Weird.

Taste: This is completely bizarre. Deep, dark, and fruity, with a thick, yeasty soy sauce flavor, loads of rich cacao, and a finish of espresso. Notes of black sugar and prunes are also prominent throughout. Completely unlike any other beer I've had. But is it good? Well... in a way.

Mouthfeel: Completely flat; I'm talking NO carbonation, not even the suggestion of carbonation, not even an attempt at carbonation. Despite this, it's not bad. Full and slick, with a surprisingly clean finish.

Drinkability: This is drinkable in the same way that a glass of whiskey is drinkable. Unfortunately, this is a beer, not a whiskey, so I'm afraid it just isn't that drinkable. But for how weird this beer is, it won't be a challenge for me to finish the bottle. I'll just have to do it kind of slowly.

3.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Pour: Small 8.45 oz bottle to tulip glass. No pop or pressure when uncorked. Pours into the glass w/ no carbonation and just a touch of dark tan lacings. Coffee color body accented w/ ruby hues. Very thick looking. Even though the bottle is extremely dark, this beer stained the bottle! Stains glass the color of iodine.

Nose: chocolate and kaluah notes very strong right out of the bottle. it's like huffing a bag of unground espresso bean. port characters like a big glass of it. dark cocoa and some notes of rubbing alcohol.

Mouth: Sweet, warm, oily, spicy, fruity. This one is everywhere. Chocolate notes and lingering bitter coffee flavors. Sharp like daggers or getting punched in the teeth. Like drinking the bottom of a cup of Turkish coffee. Fruit flavors made up of prunes and dried dates.

4.25/5  rDev +43.6%

Obviously this is one of those beers that you are going to either Hate or Love. I love it. Above you will see that many hate/loath this beer. Not sure why.

I split a 8.4 oz bottle of this with two other people and it was plenty enough to satisfy us all. This was a 1995 bottle.

Pours very thick and syrupy. Deep brown/violet hue or something to it almost. The cork looks like it has been sitting in soy sauce.

The aroma reminds me of molasses and a tiny hint of soy sauce. I can tell this is going to be explosive on my palate. Sweetness is just spewing out of the aroma as well.

The flavor follows the nose. This is so much like drinking a good port wine. If you are into port, pick up this beer, lots of it. I taste a lot of heavy concentrated sweet malt, molasses, chocolate sneaks its way in there nicely, teriaki. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is next to no carbonation with a full body that coats your mouth like paint. I've never drank a beer that has lingered as long as this one. I was enjoying the flavor of this beer long after each sip and the best part is the flavor keeps changing and evolving long after the swallow.

The drinkability, for me, is good. I love this beer and wish I had a ton of it to sit on. Drinkability for you....one way to find out I guess.

I highly recommend this one....especially if you like super thick beers or a nice port.

1.3/5  rDev -56.1%

Sam Adams Triple Bock pours as a dark thick syrupy. The smell is a strong chocolate.

The taste is a dark chocolate and a very strong alcohol flavor. The mouthfeel is not very pleasant and has no carbonation.

The best part of this beer is the blue corked bottle. With that being said, I will never try this one again :(

1.3/5  rDev -56.1%

A friend found this at Bevmo and we decided to give it a try. It pours thick and dark. No head at all. To me it smelled bit bit like chocolate and soy sause. Very strong alcohol taste and i could taste some chocolate. This beer was very hard for me to drink. I hate to slam a beer but this was simply not for me.

4.21/5  rDev +42.2%

Wow. So, see, here's the thing. I like this stuff. A lot.

I just had a 1994 or so (?) at Sunset Grill, but this isn't a review of that. Rather, it's a review of a criminally cheap ($4.49!!!) 1995 vintage bottle from BevMo Sacramento. I had no idea what I was buying until just now, when I popped it open -- I just saw Triple Bock, and like I always do, bought a bottle.

The cork tore as I pulled it out, and I had to remove it with a corkscrew. It's definitely a faulty cork, but I actually think the oxidation might have helped this ass-whupper some.

Pours, like always, a motor oil consistency, deep auburn/grey/brown. Zero head.

Aroma is sweetest, deepest, molasses sugar malt.

Taste is much the same as the aroma, but with aged port solera, prunes, and chocolate finish, and wow -- this batch is good. I mean, really very good. I've had about six or seven different vintages of this beer, and this one is either my favorite, or second. Yes, some light, mild soy sause hints, and some sugar plums, some figs, some plums, some chocolate extract, and some weird port/sherry flavors. Super complex, and we could spend hours trying to tease out all the flavors.

I accept that I'm on the fringe of the beer drinking world, hell, the fringe of civilization, for really liking Triple Bock. And this bottle, this vintage? Shit, I love the stuff, and I'll go back and buy about two cases if they still have it.

2.06/5  rDev -30.4%

Date stamped 1996. Tasted 11/25/06

This beer poured a pitch black body with a thick yellowish oily residue in the legs around the corner of the glass when you swirl it. Head is completely non existent no matter how hard you pour it.

Nose is very much an extract sort of smell, like opening up a bottle of vanilla extract almost. Chocolate, toffee, coffee, malt, malted milk balls and waves of alcohol. Mild woody flavors but overall a strong alcohol extract smell. Actually not to bad and rather inviting.

Thick with an odd oily and slimy body. Non salty soy sauce, naturally brewed soy sauce, extremely thin undercooked natural maple syrup, dark burnt malt, straight LME, extremely sugary, dates, figs, figs, rotting figs, raisins and waves of molasses. The 17% ABV hits you slowly with a mild warmth during sipping but really sneaks up behind you and gets you drunk. Very mild if any bitterness. Somewhat of a metallic bitterness. Overall though waves of natural malt.

I first tried this beer, several times including at the brewery in 1998 and vowed never to try it again, this was of course nearly half a decade before I became a BA and learned to appreciate fine beer, so might as well give it a second shot. Well... I like it more now than I did then. Maybe it mellowed a bit since then, but honestly it's still a wretched almost undrinkable beer. I sort of look at this beer now as the prototype for the big beers like Dogfish heads W.W.S. or the Sam Adams Utopias. Again, an interesting case study but this is the last time I ever plan on having this beer.

2.14/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

And away weeee go!

A: Pours a very much port like dark purple almost merlot color with a completely non-existent head. Swirl this bad boy and you get some serious oily caramel colored residue on the glass. This guy has some amazing wine/alcohol legs to it--thick and evenly spaced. Again, is this a port or a beer?
S: Umm--where to start? Many flavors to touch on. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, butterscotch, dark fruit, fig, dates. Deep sugary confection like notes that have strange licorice aroma to them.
T/M: Mouthfeel first as that's the most noticeable right off the bat. Thick, oily, and extra syrupy. Can I put this on pancakes? I think maybe. A reduction sauce over ice cream? Possibly...back to the flavors. Chocolate with raspberries, toffee, caramel, figs, and big licorice flavors. Slight metallic like notes in the finish coupled with a bitterness that was unexpected. A bit tarty and spicy---abv? As it warms up the abv becomes more noticeable, but is tamed. Flavors also become more pronounced as it warms--almost too much. Makes you blink as you sip...
D: Drinkable? Yeah if you had a 2oz. pour of it. The more you drink, the less you like. I would recommend sharing this if you can find it, though I'm not sure how much of it is left as it was brewed in the 1990's.

1.23/5  rDev -58.4%

Note: first review was deleted due to excessive use of profanity. 'milder' and less scathing version below.

1995 vintage

This is still available at a few outlets (got mine at Bevmo), and I've never had it so I thought I'd give it a shot. The cork broke as I removed the top and easily dropped in the bottle with little pressure as i attempted to check the seal-

No carbonation, no head. Thick and viscous.

I've read the reviews and figure that 'soy sauce' flavor was meant figuratively. I was wrong. It was literal. Very literal. Tastes and smells like soy sauce with mirin (sweet cooking wine). It's overpowering and unpleasant. It actually coats the side of the glass - just like soy sauce. I kept trying to find something positive about it, but to no avail.

This may have been good at it's prime, but it's gone down the bad road in the years. If you see it, save your money, and your tastebuds. Avoid this beer.

3.57/5  rDev +20.6%

I like this beer. This is truly a market redefining brew that continues to polarize drinkers to this day. I have a couple of 94's and a few 97's buried in the beer cellar. This review is of a 95 thanks to Malto.

Wow, much tastier than the 97. Sweet, thick, ripe fruit that borders on what I would imagine a high octane glass of prune juice would be. Poured into a brandy snifter and sipped over an evening this is a treat.

Love it or hate it - your call. Haven't had it? Try it and join a side. Some things have to be tried. This is one.

4.59/5  rDev +55.1%

Just as reference the SA Triple Bock that I am reviewing here in Nov. 2006 is from 1994, the first year they brewed it I believe. Anyway, my husband & I bought a case of this when it came out & we open a bottle of it every year or so. We've shared this with friends & they either love it or hate it.

First & foremost one must not have "beer" on the brain when sampling this - it it a malt based beverage but it is closer to a barley wine than a beer or ale. Second - put it in an appropriate glass like a brandy snifter, port or sherry glass. Third - SIP IT! It is very complex and the flavors change with temperature (like anything else), you're going to have different flavors after it has sat in the glass for 15 -20 minutes than after the initial opening.

We were somewhat apprehensive when we opened this bottle - it had been in the fridge upright for several months and the cork had dried out. Our bad, having forgotten that it had a cork & being dumb enough not to store it on it's side so the cork didn't dry out. Fortunately it was still wonderful. Very malty with mollasses and fruity tones to it. Somewhat syrupy, like an apertif but not over-sweet. Overall I'd have to say that it has aged very nicely. I'm not sure how much of our initial case is left (it's in storage right now as we're between houses), but I'd like to try to save at least one bottle for another 8 years or so & see what it tastes like when it's 20 years old.

2.96/5  rDev 0%

8.45 oz bottle. Cork & mouth of bottle were covered with muddy sludge... I actually wiped it out before pouring.

A: Black with a slight hint of a ruby hue. Absolutely no head. Slight hint of syrupy leg remains after swirling.

S: Alcohol, prunes, dark raisins and figs. More like a fortified wine (port?). A plethora of pleasant aroma.

T: Very port-like, with a maple-whiskey aroma as well. Prunes, dark raisins, cocoa, plenty of black-strap molases and soya sauce? A little woody flavour (possibly from the maple syrup or the cork?). Alcohol is remarkably subdued (considering its strength). Syrupy sweetness is backed with an assertive, tar-like bitterness. There's plenty of flavour, but I can't say I like it.

M: Thick, full body is very creamy; nothing else like it. Carbonation is practically non-existant.

D: It's a sipper, and a tough one at that!

Certainly unique.

3.71/5  rDev +25.3%

My first BA review, and I'm glad it's on such an interesting brew.

My initial reaction upon uncorking this beer was that of horror. That soy sauce smell wafted into my nostrils, and I expected I'd be in for a rough time, and the rest would be riding down the drain. This is the only aspect of the beer I disliked, but as I finished the glass, I grew used to it. I was surprised to see that as I poured this beer into my glass, the bottle it comes in is actually blue. This beer is so dark that it makes the glass appear as if it's jet black. Holding the beer up to the light, nothing shines through. It's beautiful. No head, no carbonation, just black.

The first thing I tasted was alcohol, which lingered as the rest of the flavors hit me: dark chocolate, a roasty coffee flavor, and as someone else said, perhaps chocolate covered cherries. Finished up with malt and a healthy dose of alcohol warmth. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but not too thick to be drinkable. The ABV and bottle size is what'll keep you from drinking a lot.

Wonderful. Absolutely fantastic. Beyond the smell, there is little I dislike about this beer. I will be keeping some of this around for special occasions and to share with good friends.

2.99/5  rDev +1%

A: Well, we can definitely say packaging was everything here. Sweet blue tinted bottle with black wrapped cork. Small but after drinking it, I understand why. Poured like a motor oil into my oil pan. No head no matter how much I tried. When held up to the light, hints of cherry coloring highlighted the absence of light.

S: Tart grapes and annice (black licorice), plums and apples (although I think they all smell like apples).

T: WOAH!!! CAUTION... Small sips only! If they were looking for shocking, they got it! Picture the tartest wine you have ever had and double it! At first it gives a sweetness of a tart grape juice, then the alcohol hits as you swallow and your face tighens up like swallowing a lemon whole!

M: Syrup. Maybe Nyquil mixed with grape juice in a 10:1 ratio. Ever have Noni juice?

D: Once a year. I have one more bottle, due to the packaging. I will wait a year to crack it open. I might even try and share it next time.

1.06/5  rDev -64.2%

A- A cloudy black with no head or lacing what so ever (the best thing about this beer)
S- Strong smell of teriaki mixed with strong soy sauce.
T- Big warming from alcohol. Coffe, and chocolate in it. Sweet also.
M-THICK, and basically no carbonation.
D- I couldn't drink more than one sip of this beer. Maybe it would be alright for a maranade for a steak. Basically not consumable.

Bought this brew several months ago and I popped it open last night to share with some friends. Boy, talk about intense. Poured a thick motor oil and syrupy. Collectively, we smell molasses, soy sauce, dry sherry and undoubtedly the strong scent of alcohol. We did not get any maple syrup taste or aroma. Full body, syrupy and a full 17.5% ABV that is felt all over, from tongue to stomach. Took us about 1 1/2 hour to drink this brew while we were enjoying other brews. This is one of its kind and I haven't had any like this so it hard to compare with. Warning, becareful drinking Sam's Triplebock, it will knock you on your ass.

1.51/5  rDev -49%

Drank from a 8.45 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Martignetti Liquors, Boston, MA

Poured a syrupy, transparent, coffee-black with absolutely no head. As I drank the beer, it left a transparent yellow film on the glass.

Smell was pungent and unpleasant and consisted of a mix of soy sauce, rubbing alcohol and a touch of port wine.

Taste was vile. The alcohol was completely overwhelming. Soy sauce was quite evident with intense woody and smoky flavors. The only redeeming value of this beer was the mild, coffee, chocolate aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was heavy and syrupy. When I eventually poured out what remained of my beer, I discovered there were sticky black globs of sediment in the bottom of the glass.

This beer was terrible and completely undrinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +54.4%

Pours like thick motor oil into the glass without the slightest trace of head or even carbonation for that matter. The nose is abundantly sweet and fruity, with overripe plums and a hint of chocolate. The first taste knocks you off your feet, and is like drinking liquefied chocolate-covered cherries, with a little bit of maple and burnt raisins ensuing. This is followed by a dominant burning warmth, like the long finish of port. Thick, chewy and oily on the tongue. Absolutely demanding on your senses, but also absolutely amazing.

Container Volume: 250ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: of course

Head: minimal

Lace: no

Aroma: sweet fruit

Mouthfeel: med

Comments: Very sweet. tried this at the recomendation of my cousin.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- y
Get my buzz on- =n

1.68/5  rDev -43.2%

'94 vintage.

Not very different since I last tried one in 2000.

You find yourself wanting to be impressed, but the reality is that this is vile.

tastes like it could be blood from an Orc. Frodo must have smelled this stuff on the battlefield.

As I drain pour it, large stringy chunks follow the bile down the sink...

No enjoyment at all, my friends.

k75

4.74/5  rDev +60.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! This beer is freakin' amazing. My last bottle from my '95 case.... ... :( This one is loaded with maple syrup and scortched sugar, but with less of the burnt and acidic edge that usually comes with that. There's a little bit of it in the finish, but it's really sweetish and bright upfront. There's also more graininess and caramel to the nose, although the dark black/red fruit and alcohol are there as well. And there's more coconut in the aroma too. And nuttiness and wood. I'm just blown away that each bottle can be so different. It's really amazing. Is it the amount of yeast? Is it the amount of oxygen that was transfered during bottling? I''m thinking that's it in this case. It got less oxygenation and thherefore it's less sherry-like. Or even the cork - this one came out full whereas the others broke-up. I don't know; I just know it's stunning!

1.87/5  rDev -36.8%

Packaging can do wonders for any product & SA's Triple Bock is no exception. The translucent blue, corked bottle is as seductive a vessel in which I've seen a beer contained. Equally dramatic is the deep, dark liquid that oozes from the mouth of the bottle into whatever glass (hopefully a cordial) you've chosen. Unfortunately, this is where the pleasure ends & the terror begins.

The Triple Bock is alarmingly sweet smelling & this warning sign is proven justified as the first sip (& all sips subsequently) provides a taste best described as a type of walnut syrup. From both a drinkablility & flavor standpoint, this "beer" simply fails on a grand scale.

Strangely, this brew is hard to hate outright, because it is fearlessly original & obviously a labor of love. Yet, it is so exclusionary to all but the very few that it cannot be given high marks for the beer community at large. While I usually feel most of the Boston Brewing Co.'s beers don't try hard enough, this one just tried too hard. R.I.P. Triple Bock.

4.22/5  rDev +42.6%

7/1/2005 $7.99 8.45 oz 17.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Poured from a small, attractive blue bottle with gold lettering, this is a perfectly black, still, viscous syrup that leaves behind yellow-black legs on the sides of the glass.

Aroma:

Maple syrup, sherry, vanilla, oak, tar and ripe plums are just some of the aromas that greet the nose. Very complex and inviting.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Chocolate, sherry, maple syrup, hints of charcoal dance across the tongue in a syrupy sweetness that clings to every crevasse of the mouth. As the beer warms, the flavor of cherry cordials presents itself, wrapped in dark dove chocolate. For an 8 year old beer, this has held up considerably well. Alcohol is well masked by numerous complex flavors that keep you guessing (and drinking). Once the strongest beer in the world, this is a definite winner.

Samuel Adams Triple Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 30.5% out of 100 with 953 ratings